• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shere Khan
    Lonely Jelly
    • Apr 2013

Artisan My Arse!

What's the most ludicrous thing you have seen labelled 'Artisan'?

Today I saw something described on the bottle as 'Artisan Water From Norway'. I thought water just fell from the sky but it seems, in Norway, they make the stuff.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"
  • Milesago
    Electric Prunes
    • Jan 2006

Maybe a translation blunder, it should've said artesian?
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

• babycart
      Baldhead Growler
      • Sep 2004

Artisan my Arse!
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Shere Khan
        Lonely Jelly
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by babycart View Post
        Thank God Mrs SK wasn't standing behind me as I clicked that link

Comment

• Shere Khan
          Lonely Jelly
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
          Maybe a translation blunder, it should've said artesian?
          I think you're probably right about that but the fact remains everything's artisan these days even Babycart's butt plug (not his personal one I hasten to add! I believe his personal one is a straight off the production line job)

Comment

• babycart
            Baldhead Growler
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
            I think you're probably right about that but the fact remains everything's artisan these days even Babycart's butt plug (not his personal one I hasten to add! I believe his personal one is a straight off the production line job)
            Absolutely. Who wants hand-made ass reamers? You don´t know where their hands have been.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• babycart
              Baldhead Growler
              • Sep 2004

Over here they've been producing sea salt for well over a century. They shovel it into big piles , whack it into plastic bags and sell it for 60 cents a kilo. It's about as artisan as industries get, but they wouldn´t dare put the word on the bags as everyone would laugh.
              I spoke to the son of one of the salt guys a couple of years ago who told me he'd visited Madrid and seen Fleur de Sal on sale for ridiculous prices. They realised they'd been shovelling this stuff into the piles for decades.
              Now they do a brisk trade selling it to tourists at €6 for 200 grammes.

Which is still a bargain compared to this stuff - mixed with charcoal and yours for €14 for 160g

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• cratedigger
                Electric Prunes
                • Jul 2014

As my attention was drawn to this lovely series in another thread:
                ------------------------------------------------------
                "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• Shere Khan
                  Lonely Jelly
                  • Apr 2013

Ah yes; Harry Enfield does that so well.

Christmas crackers £13.50 each

Comment

• Sonovox
                    Electric Banana
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Which is still a bargain compared to this stuff - mixed with charcoal and yours for €14 for 160g
                    Which is still a bargain compared to Halen Mon's Angelsey charcoal sea salt at £5.95 for 15g.

Hand-harvested, organic-approved Pure Sea Salt blended with Welsh charcoal for a distinctive black colour.

Comment

• babycart
                      Baldhead Growler
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                      Which is still a bargain compared to Halen Mon's Angelsey charcoal sea salt at £5.95 for 15g.

http://www.halenmon.com/product-cate.../charcoalsalt/
                      It's not even artisan!!!!!
                      Or maybe the word's too long to fit on the upturned thimble they sell it in.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Shere Khan
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

http://www.halenmon.com/product-cate.../charcoalsalt/
                        I think they've got that all wrong. There's no point selling artisan salt if it's not in an artisan pot. An artisan pot would cost about £58.76 so I'm guessing that pot is not artisan.

Comment

• eine
                          Lonely Jelly
                          • Jan 2010

Records are one of the defining consumer products of industrial production. They are a product of twentieth century industrial society. NOTE they are not necessarily capitalist—Marxists (especially Stalinists) dig industrial production. Look at Melodiya. Records are quintessentially industrial. As a product they fit into both capitalist and Marxist societies, as long as there is a industrial production and distribution.

One could argue that small label/private press records are artisanal but I would say they are artisans squatting in the factories of industrial production which rely on the internet for distribution (the internet is a kind of techno-industrial-planetary communication system).

Artisanal production does not necessarily have to be consumerist or capitalist. It fits in well with small-scale anarchism. I would argue that records can only exist in anarchism after a period of industrial production. This is what Marx argued for anyway ('the state withers away').

It is unclear whether a records could develop without industrial production (be it Marxist or capitalist in nature). I would say no, but then again I'm not an anarcho-syndicalist.
                          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                          X