Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: January 2017 Finds

Random charity shop finds today. Astonished to find the Gilberto and the serge in EH!

and a doormat find thanks to Mr Sayers

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Following on from my Doors collection auction win yesterday it bugged me that there were some albums missing, Waiting For The Sun in particular.
    So I went back earlier today and they said ah yes there was one box that didn't get put in the earlier lot (I had a gut feeling in my waters) and hiding
    in amongst all the Mantovani and James Last there it was (in mono too) along with a couple of other odds and ends, I offered a fiver for them and they said sure,
    oh happy Friday!

Weird Scenes was my intro to the Doors. Are they for you or do you propose to move them on?

[IMG][/IMG]

This on a doormat yesterday. My first purchase of new vinyl for a long time. Strangely I am finding the cling-wrap to be a psychological obstacle.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 13-01-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Adding visual treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    Following on from my Doors collection auction win yesterday it bugged me that there were some albums missing, Waiting For The Sun in particular.
    So I went back earlier today and they said ah yes there was one box that didn't get put in the earlier lot (I had a gut feeling in my waters) and hiding
    in amongst all the Mantovani and James Last there it was (in mono too) along with a couple of other odds and ends, I offered a fiver for them and they said sure,
    oh happy Friday!

That`s the stuff! My eyes have seen it, my shelves are beginning to envy.
    DANCE TO THE RADIO

What am I talking about? I bought that Feldman/Brown reissue a couple of months back.

Pass the scissors!

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Strangely I am finding the cling-wrap to be a psychological obstacle.
    Mine came off straight away thereby rendering the record worthless to potential future vynils purchasers who would need that sticker on the front for full effect.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Catching up..

Last of 2016:

Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Off The Coast Of Me
    Kid Creole & The Coconuts - In Praise Of Older Women And Other Crimes
    Was Not Was
    Daryl Hall & John Oates - Big Bam Boom

Got a bit carried away with 80s pop/soul. I think I was so surprised to find something in the charity shops, and my birthday was fast approaching so nostalgia played a part too I think. I like certain tracks by all of these artists (esp. Kid Creole), but any one of these albums in one go got a bit tedious and listening to the 80s production gets very tiring after a while.

Lavada
    McKendree Spring - Get Me To The Country

Both of these are from the mid 70s, both on US Pye, and both were still sealed.
    I waited for a quiet time at home, sat down, slit the cellophane and quickly stuck my conk intside the sleeve and breathed in the 40 year old air! The closest thing to time travel I'm likely to get.
    That act was the only redeeming feature of Lavada. Very stagey and not even a one tracker. Ugh in fact. In the out pile.
    McKendree Spring on the other hand is excellent country rock with a harder edge in places and some funkier moments. This one was definitely worth it. Had a warp, from being sealed for so long I guess, but plays through fine. Shame it wasn't the Lavada that had the warp, might have made it sound better.

Canto.... something
    Flash obscures the title in the picture. Already in the out pile and I can't be bothered to dig it out to check.

First of 2017:

Michael Chapman - Living On The Ceiling
    Liging this. Michael's voice not totally to my taste but has some good moments, and Babe has Lesley Duncan on vocals and is a standout.

John Kirkpatrick & Sue Harris - Facing The Music
    Delving into the folky world which I am mostly clueless about but willing to dip into. On this Sue lets leash on the hammered dulcimer. She gives it a good old bashing too - this is a LOUD pressing. A keeper for now at least.
    Last edited by candiman; 14-01-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

John Kirkpatrick & Sue Harris - Facing The Music
    Delving into the folky world which I am mostly clueless about but willing to dip into. On this Sue lets leash on the hammered dulcimer. She gives it a good old bashing too - this is a LOUD pressing. A keeper for now at least.
    Super cover on this and hard to beat a dulcimer- I always find them very soothing.

I'd be p**sing glitter if I'd picked up all them doors records for 35 dubloons

Default ....

Candiman, I picked up some of those sealed Pye LPs from Cotham before xmas too. There were a few other ok ones. Really surprising to find sealed US stuff that old down in the chazza basement!

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Chiba View Post
    Candiman, I picked up some of those sealed Pye LPs from Cotham before xmas too. There were a few other ok ones. Really surprising to find sealed US stuff that old down in the chazza basement!
    Yes, would like to know their backstory. What else did you find?

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I'd be p**sing glitter if I'd picked up all them doors records for 35 dubloons
    I am! although there is always someone who disapproves...

Last edited by Head Gardener; 15-01-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Think you've answered the wrong person there HG.

That aint no dulcimer.
    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
    stage dancing friend Emoro.

I had a go on the dulcimer at the Horniman Museum today. Baffling.

Anyway, the last week's been productive. Last Sunday's car boots didn't have much to write home about so I thought I'd see if any of the Walworth Road charities were open. They were! And they were heaving with vinyl, even if much of it was not really my cuppa.

I did an early Post Office run this morning and must have been one of the first people into Barnardo's where I found they were having a half price vinyl sale. I've only listened to the Denis Lopez (a keeper) and the Talisman (needs a couple more listens) so far because I thought I'd pop to the, usually hopeless, Saturday booter near Balham.

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the weather, not a soul had turned up at the boot sale. 'It'll be better tomorrow', said the security man. It couldn't be any worse...

So I thought I may as well have a gander round the charities in Balham as the Salvation Army there was closed when I last checked them before Christmas.

The MJ was from the back room of Cancer Research and the rest were from the BHF. The Greensleeves is Fattie Boom Boom. The Mongo Santamaria's on now. My 15 month-old is dancing

As mentioned, we had a family trip to the Horniman this afternoon. I checked the two chazzas nearby too and bagged this from the Sue Ryder. Thankfully the vinyl's in much better nick than the sleeve. I think it might have been the only 'new' stock since my last visit. Unsurprising with everything priced at £4.95.

Weather forecast means that that's probably it for me this weekend

WF

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post

That aint no dulcimer.
    Looks like one - I haven't heard the record. What is it?

Ignore me SK, I was tickled by Head Gardeners reply and image having little relevance to the quoted post? and was using the classic genitals=dulcimer + smiley face joke formula.

That is what id call a dulcimer. Picked a copy of it up recently too, Will dig it out and give it a proper spin.

Whats a Zither then?

G

Looks like one - I haven't heard the record. What is it?
    It's an "uncredited instrument." ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Ignore me SK, I was tickled by Head Gardeners reply and image having little relevance to the quoted post? and was using the classic genitals=dulcimer + smiley face joke formula.

That is what id call a dulcimer. Picked a copy of it up recently too, Will dig it out and give it a proper spin.

Whats a Zither then?

G
    Got you. I'm usually good at picking up things like that- I hope nothing's setting in early. Don't know about a zither; is it one of those things where a bar moves up and down the strings I wonder.

Getting back to the cover whatever happened to dungarees on women. I quite like that look. She's doing a great job of appearing to be disinterested in John's squeezebox. See, I can do it too- can't bring myself to use an emoticon, though.

curse my smart arsery! now edited for common sense

curse my smart arsery! now edited for common sense
    Nearly there HG but I'm still saying 'pissing dubloons' and as anybody who knows me will tell you the chances of that coming out of my mouth are extremely remote. However, I salute your haul although I have no interest in 'The Doors' whatsoever.

yer right about The Doors I am no fan either so will no doubt pass these on, they are still popular I believe

they are still popular I believe
    I believe so M'Lud.

Picked up a couple of bits recently. Probably nobody will believe me when I say I've been after this for a while- for God's sake why?- and it's not expensive but they're always abroad, postage etc, so I was pleased to find one in Blighty for not much money. Guitar meanderings with tweeting birds by some people stuck in a gorse thicket.

Lenny Dee does stuff with his organ and, of course, one of the things he does is 'Caravan'. He does it 'with a beat' and I'm digging it especially as it cost next to nothing. Looks a bit like Vincent Price doesn't he.

This Cannonball Adderley LP is great. It's a live thing, captures a moment, and again costs nowt.

Some 45s Excellent 'blued-eyed soul' from Fran O' Toole (the story of how he met his end is really shocking. Seems like a very distant time now but it isn't.). and one of Little Richard's stormers.

This Bob cage record is superb. It's just some tobacco sellers and an explanation of what they are saying, how it works, but it's incredibly musical. It's not on you tube but Bob Cage is. One of the chanters sounds like a didgeridoo.

Shere Khan - that Edqvist and Sandqvist looks mighty enticing, pretty sure I couldn't pass up such an inviting cover.

A most excellent finds summary SK, Really interesting bits.
    The Smithsonian Folklife Festival sounds interesting, Might attend this year.

G

Quote Originally Posted by dukowski83 View Post
    Shere Khan - that Edqvist and Sandqvist looks mighty enticing, pretty sure I couldn't pass up such an inviting cover.
    Yep. Most people will probably think the cover is the best thing about it. According to a Swedish to English translation on the net the title means 'Digested Jankes'. I somehow think that can't be right. Who would digest poor old Jankes. Cratedigger, help!

Yep. Most people will probably think the cover is the best thing about it. According to a Swedish to English translation on the net the title means 'Digested Jankes'. I somehow think that can't be right. Who would digest poor old Jankes. Cratedigger, help!
    Diger-Janke is a name. His real name was Johan Persson, and he was executed for murder in 1842.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Got you. I'm usually good at picking up things like that- I hope nothing's setting in early. Don't know about a zither; is it one of those things where a bar moves up and down the strings I wonder.
    The thing with the bar is, if I'm thinking what you're thinking, an autoharp. A zither is the instrument you see at the start of The Third Man, in its full glory it looks like this:

https://youtu.be/8KKQDotECdg

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Diger-Janke is a name. His real name was Johan Persson, and he was executed for murder in 1842.
    Crikey! So they wrote a waltz for him. That was nice of them.