• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benicio Del Toffo
    Ugly Custard
    • Dec 2002

January 2017 Finds

Happy New Year to all. Hope you had a good festive season and aren't being too traumatised by the 'back to work' malaise (I've got at least another week myself, so I'm feeling a bit smug).

I'll hold my hands up and admit that most of these came from my bimbling around over the Christmas period, so they technically aren't January finds in the sense that they were found in January, but they're January finds in the sense that I'm only getting around to posting in January (I've a valid excuse, which won't be gone into here).

So, these are actually mostly from hitting a couple of fairs over the Christmas period, with a few bits acquired from other sources padding it out.

Continuing my reacquaintance with John Martyn, a couple of classics for cheap (‘Solid Air’ was actually acquired in trades down the market) - not sure I want to go much beyond these as the later stuff I've heard by him didn't really do it for me. The bottom two were picked up at local record fairs for the purposes of trading on the forum.

I think my love for odd and wonky disco is well-known. I’m always going to pick up random stuff when I see it cheap. The Madleen Kane is pretty standard, quite ‘Euro’ disco. Yvonne Elliman has a lovely version of Bobby Charles’ ‘Small Town Talk’ sneaked in with the more disco tunes. Teena Marie (produced by Richard Rudolph) does actually sound like a continuation of Minnie Riperton’s career, just after Minnie had passed - follows nicely from the 'Stay In Love' album. And a very cheap spare of Mascara from Rob’s.

Some more VV / VG+ friendly spares picked up at local fairs for the purposes of getting some trading going. Hopefully posting my current trades up just after I’ve done this Finds post. Think these are self-explanatory.

Top two are Christmas presents. Kate Bush box set was my lovely young lady’s present for me and the Sandie Shaw was a splurge treat to myself from myself. Pretty sure this is the only time I’ve seen a sleeved copy in the wild, which means I now have a spare sleeveless copy. Not sure on the provenance of this as the Pye label is red (my sleeveless one is light blue) and the sleeve is laminated rather than textured. Hey-ho, the tunes are good and that’s what matters. Bottom row are a couple of 12”s which I’m hanging on to. I maintain that early Bauhaus were ace, ‘Bela Lugosi’s Dead’ is up there with anything that Joy Division did.

A few more 12”s. First three are bound for my mate in Hove (although I’m sorely tempted to keep FNM!), with Killing Joke remaining in Notts with me as the extended remix is a right stomper! Was a little bit embarrassed to hand over the quid for PWEI as it’s not the most politically correct ditty, but what a career arc for Clint Mansell eh?

Few more cheapies from Christmas record fairs. Think I’ll keep the ‘Otley’ soundtrack as there’s a couple of fuzzy groovers on there, the rest are in the ‘out’ pile though and will make that downward hierarchical slide from trades, to potentially going to market, to freebies!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.
  • george
    Animated Egg
    • Jan 2014

Top work B, I haven't been out on the beat for the last few weeks, Glad to see its served you well.
    Is the copy of Mascara possibly up for trades? I would be interested.

G
    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
    stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

• LDJB
      Chocolate Rain
      • Dec 2001

I know you don't like 'em but the best couple of tracks on 'Otley' can be had on a cheap and handy 45.

Great finds by the way. I've not had a sniff of a record in the wild for about a month now!

...actually - that's not true. I found this during a mini trawl on my way home after finishing up early for crimbo. Not my thing but already in the midst of a trade for it.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• treeboy
        Lonely Jelly
        • Aug 2012

Nice finds Ben. Bela Lugosis Dead was good and creepy, but for me their version of Eno's Third Uncle leaves it in the blocks
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• treeboy
          Lonely Jelly
          • Aug 2012

I know you don't like 'em but the best couple of tracks on 'Otley' can be had on a cheap and handy 45.
          Excellent 45!
          Everyone tear down your own little wall
          That keeps you from being a part of it all
          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• relkeel
            Ugly Custard
            • Jun 2007

I've had that Tokyo Mobile Music in the past and thought it was a pretty good comp,if you come across it cheap grab it.

I would of been on that Blair 12" in a flash too!
            record licker

Comment

• bennyboy
              Electric Prunes
              • Jun 2007

The Blair 12 for £1.50 is marvellous.

Comment

• amidar
                Lonely Jelly
                • Jun 2014

I think all John Martyn albums have their moments up until 1979 when he did that awful 'Grace and Danger' with Phil Collins, then its downhill from there. I think 'One World' is worth the entrance fee for 'Small Hours' alone probably his last truly great piece of music.

My stepson brought me a present back from Greece which I haven't dared play yet. Smooth Jazz from 1994, you never know it might be a classic or maybe not. I appreciate his punting skills though. :

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• george
                  Animated Egg
                  • Jan 2014

Got a lot of time for 'Hurt In Your Heart' from Grace And Danger Amidar but agree with your rule of thumb.

G
                  Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                  stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

• Milesago
                    Electric Prunes
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    Nice finds Ben. Bela Lugosis Dead was good and creepy, but for me their version of Eno's Third Uncle leaves it in the blocks
                    For me it was their cover of Rose Garden Funeral of Sores. I loved the Press The Eject live LP too.
                    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

• amidar
                      Lonely Jelly
                      • Jun 2014

I'll give you that G. Always exceptions to my Martyn rule! I always liked this one I think it was off his last album before he passed although very much in the style of the early seventies. :

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• eine
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                        For me it was their cover of Rose Garden Funeral of Sores. I loved the Press The Eject live LP too.
                        TERROR COUPLE KILL COLONEL!
                        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Benicio Del Toffo
                          Ugly Custard
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by george View Post
                          Top work B, I haven't been out on the beat for the last few weeks, Glad to see its served you well.
                          Is the copy of Mascara possibly up for trades? I would be interested.

G

Possibly mate. PM me and we'll see.
                          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• cratedigger
                            Electric Prunes
                            • Jul 2014

Finds have been marginal lately, but here are two, well in reality only one of them 2017, but...

To the right, a find in the charity shop today, Morgan James Duo - I'll See You Again/Till You're Mine
                            I've heard a song or two by them that were promising, but this one was not even on Discogs.
                            A-side, by Noel Coward, is a bit pedestrian and doesn't do it for me, but the self-penned B-side is pretty good and has some nice Hammond action. Too bad it's not on Youtube either.
                            The sleeve has a £1 price tag from Reckless Records, but that could be related to the Nazareth single it previously housed.

To the left, a "find" from my closet. As I was clearing out things I found a record bag with a 7" that I simply must have forgotten about buying.
                            Orgeltvist is a 1963 EP by Jan Johansson where he proves that he can not only do folk jazz on piano (Jazz på Svenska), but he can also lay down some Hammond twist.
                            Some great Hammond beat on first track Dubbeltvist, after that returns are diminishing with two Swedish standards on the B-side.
                            ------------------------------------------------------
                            "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• cratedigger
                              Electric Prunes
                              • Jul 2014

...and apparently I don't know left from right. To my defense it's a bank holiday tomorrow here in Sweden to celebrate the Three Kings so I had a bottle of wine with my lady.
                              ------------------------------------------------------
                              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X