Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: January 2017 Finds

excellent links on the MA LP's, thanks guys

My Birthday today and I got a 'Raspberry Pi' with a 'piano hat' and 'drum hat' and some 'hack' board thingy my stepson assures me I will love (hats, Pi, Python its confused me too and I fix computers.). It looks like my head is going to be getting a bit frazzled soon. Anyway went out for the day bought the last 'Pixies' album and the 'Sarathy Korwar' album which I'll hold Alanmck responsible for if I don't like it but I cant see it, sounds right up my street and Ninja Tune seem to be putting out 'good stuff' again of late.

I was gonna buy 'Nat Birchall - Akhenaten' but it's been in this particular shop for an age so I think its part of that dodgy batch that went out but I may well be wrong. There was also a few 'Piero Umiliani' albums but they wanted a lot and I was unsure of their providence but kind of wished I'd have bought 'The Folk Group' one now but the Obi strips seemed a bit wrong, oh well so it goes.

Lots of un-raided charities to explore but could only turn up this cockney enthused Salvation Army musical bought because it says it has someone playing an ARP synth. I cant hear any and the record is terrible but there is a lot of spoken world gold and probably some interesting sample fodder all round no drum breaks mind you not not that I tend to use any these days. :

Last edited by amidar; 28-01-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: info

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thames View Post
    Interesting article about these albums here: http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2015...ague-arms.html

Jimmy Jones claims 'Nobody's buying these albums for the organ and drums' - I beg to differ, mate.
    Ha! I've just realised where this is - when I lived around Lewisham/Brockley in the 90's, we used to go down to watch the hammond player on a Sunday, and I now know it was Peter London. He'd trot through some easy fare, then launch into a bit of Jimmy Smith on request. He was great, and it was a great pub.

I'm quite jealous you saw him in action! The pair of them were still going well into the noughties, apparently. I'd love to know what their most recent stuff sounded like!

Quick round-up while I'm basking in the afterglow of United battering the mighty Wigan (the words 'flatter' and 'deceive' leap to mind).

Usual sources: Some highly recommend trading action with the upper echelons of Plussers, a rewarding plod round the charity shops and the ever-reliable Rob's Record mart.

First up is a selection from a great trade with Funky Charly (I’ll vouch for Alex any time). Phoenix is ace Romanian prog, one of those with something for everyone, grooves, beats, riffs – excellent stuff. Among the others is another copy of Gradsky (which means I have a spare in a generic sleeve) and the Melodya Ensemble’s ‘Labyrinth’ – which I didn’t get on with before, but am really enjoying this time around.

While we’re on the subject of fantastic trading on the Board, doff of the hat to Mr William Fogg. Bobby Darin as recommended by WF, I love these career reinvention / sabotage LPs, this is well-known on the forum and I’m sure I had it some time back and let it go – schoolboy error, I’ll just have to assume I wasn’t ready for or attuned to it, either way, I won’t be making the same mistake again. Spare of Roy Williams Trinity to add to my future trades pile. Next up is a compilation by a beat combo from Liverpool of whom great things are predicted (which I didn’t actually have in the racks, so was nice to be able to tick it off and ease the twitching of my OCD). And some VG+ friendly prog / psych / jazz / oddness from Quebec.

I’m still plodding along with my penchant for 80s pop 12”s with a bit of groove to them. Spandau were good for a while……..sigh. MJ is for my mate (this tune rarely fails at parties). The Cure is for me, this is a really good mix, I remain ambivalent about Fat Bob Smith though. And I’ve randomly got really into early Madonna, the Jellybean era in the main. I used to have such a crush on her, it was ridiculous. I actually had a Madonna shrine when I was about 13. Now she appears to be morphing into Bette Midler. Bah!

These came from Rob’s a couple of weeks ago. Spare of Judee Sill as this one was marginally better condition than my existing copy, not quite minting up, but not too far off. The Christie LP was a massive surprise. I didn’t know it, but it looked like my kind of thing and as I handed over my cash, Rob informed me that my spidey senses might be malfunctioning as they’re a naff pop band and I thought “Oh shit!”, but this is another of those career departures – it’s almost all tough power trio prog. I’m sure loads of people on here already know / have this, but I’m pleasantly surprised and highly recommend it. John Martyn is definitely the latest / last one of his that I’ll chance my arm with as the beautiful folky stuff is tempered with the whiff of self-indulgent boundary pushing. Fair play to him mind, but it’s not what I want from my folk albums. And the Primals 12” is for my mate, ‘Dixie Narco’ is about right, saturated in Class As.

These were from Rob’s on Friday. A very Forum-friendly selection methinks. All but the Laurie Holloway Quartet are spares. Actually, the LHQ album is rather nice, if you like your Ramsey Lewis or Vince Guaraldi stuff. The original tunes are barely recognisable (or even detectable), but the Quartet take them into interesting places and it’s a really nice listen on the whole (I had it on to make doing chores more bearable).

More from Friday’s visit to Rob’s. I find it hard to leave the lovely Francoise’s stuff behind, Ok, this was a bit pricier than I’m used to paying for her stuff, but it was payday week and in lieu of being better looking and having a time machine, this is as close to her as I’m getting for now. Bit more of the Bob Smith Band for my mate, I’ll pick up their early LPs for myself eventually, but he’s got first dibs as he’s always been a big fan of theirs. Dead chuffed to get Jeff Buckley (180g reissue) for cheap – it can come off my Amazon ‘saved’ list now. Spare of LWTUA for a mate at work. A grand Friday afternoon’s work really.

Went to Newark-On-Trent yesterday, ostensibly to hit TK Maxx to buy a load of socks, but couldn’t pass up a bimble round the charity shops. Aside from a great Guns’n’Roses book in Barnardos, I only had one hit and that was Oxfam, where I got a couple of soundtrack albums and a bit of 12” Gothery. ‘Cat People’ contains one of the great overlooked Bowie tracks and I was amazed when I got home to find that I was currently without a copy of ‘Rollerball’, so it was nice to file that one for cheap. I’m a bit young to have done the Goth thing first time around, so I’m enjoying cherry-picking it with age and distance on my side. I’m quite polarised on it as one day I’ll like the bleak, dystopian, slower stuff like ‘Bela Lugosi’s Dead’ or ‘Atmosphere’ and the next day I like the bombast of ‘Spellbound’ or ‘This Corrosion’. I draw the line at The Neph though. Whatever, nice to get the Sisters EP as I was watching a couple of copies on eBay, so that’s saved me a few quid. Always found the Cocteaus a bit wet when I was younger, so remain pretty ignorant on them. This Mortal Coil seem like a better way of acclimatising to Liz Fraser's acquired taste of a voice (funny that I got some Liz Fraser a day after getting some Jeff Buckley - 'All Flowers In Time' and all that) and I am enjoying this EP (ironically, after years of regarding it as iconic, their version of ‘Song to the Siren’ is my least favourite track here), so maybe I’ll give the Cocteaus another chance eventually.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Haven't done this for a while it seems. Recent goodies

usual is a uk oh. Quintessence is one to grow your hair to, and a very good lip too. Love False Start is a Blue Thumb oh, first time I've had it, looking forward to getting to grips with some new Love sounds. Never easy to start with but always rewarding in the end I find. Renaissance first lip is a good listen.3 Ex Yardbirds on this one. Where's the transition from Yardbirds to Renaissance. Other than Turn To Earth a few years earlier, nothing really indicated this new direction.
    THESE 4 laps all from The little record shop in Hornsey. Worth a visit. Last went there about a year ago. Dave the owner says it has gone mad since then. There were even young people in the shop! Maybe it is true.
    Last edited by treeboy; 30-01-2017 at 06:24 AM.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Great finds I don't know how you guys dig half of this stuff out. I'm loving that Zofff album it's right up my street regardless of it's connections and I love the rhythm section on it especially the drumming they nail it.

I think your'e right about 'Inside Out' Ben it's one of his I've always found patchy although when it's good it's genius 'Make no Mistake' is one of his greatest songs in my personal opinion and 'Fine Lines' is superb. I get the impression he was trying to do something career defining and push the boundaries of what he had done before, it has a real laid back jazzy vibe to it but on the other hand it just sounds like he's gone crazy with his 'echoplex' and he kind of loses direction. It's an album I really feel I should love but don't think works as a whole and he'd done arguably his best or best known album less than a year earlier so maybe it was a bit rushed or more likely he was pissed and stoned out of his mind.

Nice stuff there Treeboy, as usual!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I'll have to do a 45 roundup soon. Meanwhile, here's what I brought home yesterday. Instant Lee Hazelwood collection sort of.
    Lady posted ads in a Facebook group for selling records, crap photos and couldn't reply to questions about condition. Luckily she was local, so I could nip over and have a look at them. Turned out they were mostly in EX condition, but needed cleaning. She drove a hard bargain, I had symphaties from her husband, so they were not dirt cheap but a really good price considering quite a few of them are reasonably hard to get, even here in Sweden where they usually turn up.
    A few spares, now I'm close to complete with a few obvious ones missing, like House Safe For Tigers.

"This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Love the Quintessence LP treeboy mate. The flute player raja ram is involved in some newish psychedelic electronica I listen to

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    The Christie LP was a massive surprise. I didn’t know it, but it looked like my kind of thing and as I handed over my cash, Rob informed me that my spidey senses might be malfunctioning as they’re a naff pop band and I thought “Oh shit!”, but this is another of those career departures – it’s almost all tough power trio prog. I’m sure loads of people on here already know / have this, but I’m pleasantly surprised and highly recommend it.
    Great finds as usual Ben.

Yeah...that Christie is a great surprise. Thankfully a few years ago a less blinkered than your usual older collectors down the market told me it was worth my fiver for Picture Painter alone. Proper power pop Who/Creation moves.

"Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Great spread of Lee Hazelwood CD

I bought a sealed copy of that Monster Planet reissue and when I opened it the thing was completely dished, treeboy (although it still played well enough). Is yours in a healthier condition? I was wondering if it was a pressing issue.

Mines ok Spacefin. Sorry to hear that.

Testing if I can still post images!! screen capture windows 7
    Looks like I can
    I can't recall the last time I found anything that I was excited about in the charities or markets so I feel compelled to post these UK rap records. Bagged about 50 this morning, some of which I once had and some I didn't know
    I only nipped on the market by chance as I went out to buy a piece of brisket and some veg and just trundled though and they were sat there waiting!!
    I'm most please with all three 12's from Fixed Penalty (a Preston crew) as I've only ever had their first 12"
    It will be interesting to see if these records hold up or at least (I'm sure) evoke some memories
    Cheers dudes

Yes you can can Mark! Welcome back.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Hi lee - it's great to be here - hope all is top notch!

Eclectic bits and bobs from January, with many thanks to Taze and Benicio Del Toffo for various freebies.

Save up points from your record buying and cash them in for a sewing machine. That'll make it up to the missus! Time On My Hands (Sampler Of Moods Orchestral Series):

The Simpsons ‎– Deep, Deep Trouble:

"So starlets time for a bop methinks!"Russell Grant ‎– Russell Grant's Zodiac Jukebox:

Rowan & Martin ‎– Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In:

Children In Need charity single from 1987, Ray Moore – The Bog-Eyed Jog:

Norman Albert Braithwaite ‎– Can't Finish Me Song...

Arthur Lowe ‎– The Mr. Men Songs:

Mort Sahl ‎– At The Hungry I:

Manuel and Los Por Favors ‎– O Cheryl:

Not sure why he thought this would be a good album title, but it's Klaus Wunderlich ‎– Uraltedelschnulzensynthesizergags

Joyce Grenfell ‎– George - Don't Do That

Now running a South Yorkshire singing school from what I can gather, Peter Firmani ‎– Peter Firmani Sings In Clubland:

Sir John Betjeman with The Nash Ensemble ‎– 'Varsity Rag:

Hamish Imlach ‎– The Hamish Imlach Sampler:

It's only January and I'm already stocking up on festive records, Freddie Davies ‎– To Wish You A Merry Christmas:

Post Play School eighties disco electro-pop, Floella Benjamin ‎– Don't Touch Me:

I think the highlight of the film is still Elliott calling someone 'penis breath', John Williams ‎– E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack):

Eddie Edwards ‎– Fly Eddie Fly:

Edd The Duck ‎– Awesome Dood:

Cannon & Ball ‎– It's All In The Game:

Bette Midler ‎– The Divine Miss M:

Anna Russell ‎– Anna Russell's Guide To Concert Audiences:

Bill Cosby ‎– Bill Cosby Is A Very Funny Fellow Right!:

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    "So starlets time for a bop methinks!"Russell Grant ‎– Russell Grant's Zodiac Jukebox:

Scary eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Scary eyes!
    Innit. Luckily, he lightens up on the cover of his Nintendo game

Brilliant concept for an lp, though. According to discogs, Russell appears to have chosen a tune for each of the 12 signs of the Zodiac. Mine is the Bee Gee's Edge of the Universe, which I've never heard.
    Aquarius is "Aquarius".
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Innit. Luckily, he lightens up on the cover of his Nintendo game

Looks a lot heavier to me.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Looks a lot heavier to me.
    You could be right. How about this one?

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Or this one?

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

The spinoff single from the album

On top of all of these splendid records Russell is also a campaigner for re-establishing (or at least respecting) the traditional counties of Britain.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    On top of all of these splendid records Russell is also a campaigner for re-establishing (or at least respecting) the traditional counties of Britain.
    There is probably some kind of rigorous and compelling explanation for this in terms of landscape zodiacs.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    You could be right. How about this one?

What happened to his teeth?
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

They fell out due to all the sweets and sugary cocktails.

[QUOTE=someblokecalledfuz;590920]I've never seen that Bill Garden... I have the one you mention set in the old transport museum, but there are rumours of another Bill Garden LP on the same label, I've only ever heard it whispered about in reverential tones and it is aledged to contain a James Brown cover... I know one infrequent poster on this board has it, but was vague on the details when quized, and to be fair was thousands of miles away from the record when asked. But.... further sleuthing has suggested that another board member may have a copy, a well kent Glaswegian face to you and I who I had been meaning to ask recently... but unhappy circumstance prevented me from doing so in December... Question is - do you know what I'm talking about? [/QUTE]

... wot? you mean that Glaswegian lounge banger recorded in a Cambuslang hotel function suite? Surely up there with Captain Marryat et al