Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Reissues

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    I had Brasilian Octopus on CD. It made little impression. In fact, I can barely remember it.

Which doesn't really tell you a great deal. Except that you might be right to ask. Maybe someone else will provide a detailed description.
    You're right, Funktionnaire. It's completely ordinary. I listened to it last night on youtube. "Very hard to find classic album"? Nope. Easy listening? Yes.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    You're right, Funktionnaire. It's completely ordinary. I listened to it last night on youtube. "Very hard to find classic album"? Nope. Easy listening? Yes.
    I listened to it about eight years ago and never went back to it.
    There's a good piece in Portuguese about it here, which mentions "musical disagreements" Hermeto's arguments with the studio engineers, why he isn´t on the cover and how none of them got paid.

http://cliquemusic.uol.com.br/materi...zilian-octopus
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

I endorse Krishinanda. Jakartajive played me a bit about a year ago so the Mr Bongo issue was timely.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Ghost Box reissued 'The Soundcarriers - Entropicalia' which I somehow missed despite being on various interrelated mailing lists. Beats paying silly discogs and ebay prices for one.

Anyone know why there's not so far been a vinyl reissue of The Shape of The Rain album on RCA Neon? Originals usually go for silly money, so I'm surprised Akarma or somebody haven't managed to get a reissue out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mactheruss View Post
    Anyone know why there's not so far been a vinyl reissue of The Shape of The Rain album on RCA Neon? Originals usually go for silly money, so I'm surprised Akarma or somebody haven't managed to get a reissue out?
    I'm pretty sure I came across a band owned or endorsed website announcing a CD reissue which was 'immiment' and reputedly fixed the most obvious problem with the original master (that slightly out of sync bass on some tracks!) but I'm not sure if it actually came out? When I google it now, I can't find it but it wasn't that long ago AFAIR.

A great LP, one of my finds of 2016.

Still can't find it dammit!

Here's an old thread about the band reconvening in 2010 .... but I don't think this is what I'm remembering.
    Perhaps I imagined it all.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...t)-40-years-on

Hmm.. someone posted a 2012 mix of the LP on you tube, remix or re-recording?:

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    Still can't find it dammit!

Here's an old thread about the band reconvening in 2010 .... but I don't think this is what I'm remembering.
    Perhaps I imagined it all.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...t)-40-years-on

Hmm.. someone posted a 2012 mix of the LP on you tube, remix or re-recording?:

Thanks for that - looking on Discogs there seem to be two CD reissues, of which this is the latest:
    https://www.discogs.com/Shape-Of-The...elease/4115478
    ... but still no vinyl reissue.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Tomorrows People - Open Soul. Think it come out a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Tomorrows People - Open Soul. Think it come out a few weeks ago.
    I for one am not happy with with the new cover. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mactheruss View Post
    Thanks for that - looking on Discogs there seem to be two CD reissues, of which this is the latest:
    https://www.discogs.com/Shape-Of-The...elease/4115478
    ... but still no vinyl reissue.
    The Radioactive CD is a bootleg, probably a copy of the Repertoire CD but just as likely to be files he pulled off some blog - they were shameless!
    The Repertoire CD is legit but as the LP was never released in Germany, I wonder if it's a remaster or a vinyl transcription?
    There's a new CD on Big Pink of Korea.

Google turns up nothing but the band has a facebook page, and maybe I read about the remastering there...
    https://www.facebook.com/Shape-Of-Th...4648272268908/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Youth View Post
    I for one am not happy with with the new cover. ;-)
    I had to have a look ... that is a steaming pile of excrement ... i could have done better ...

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    I had to have a look ... that is a steaming pile of excrement ... i could have done better ...
    The revisionists strike again. They only have our best interests at heart, you know.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

The Bird Curtis Quintet reissue is coming from Jazzaggression records. Still 84 in stock. 18€ + shipping

https://jazzaggression.com/product/t...urtis-quintet/

The Radioactive CD is a bootleg, probably a copy of the Repertoire CD but just as likely to be files he pulled off some blog - they were shameless!
    The Repertoire CD is legit but as the LP was never released in Germany, I wonder if it's a remaster or a vinyl transcription?
    There's a new CD on Big Pink of Korea.

Google turns up nothing but the band has a facebook page, and maybe I read about the remastering there...
    https://www.facebook.com/Shape-Of-Th...4648272268908/
    Discogs begs to differ re an original German pressing of the LP: https://www.discogs.com/Shape-Of-The...elease/8213413
    And I've had a copy of it ...

There's a new CD on Big Pink of Korea.[/URL]
    I believe this is a bootleg as well. Korea seems to be a grey area concerning legit releases, just like a number of European countries.
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Midori Takada "Through The Looking Glass" is being reissued this month:
    http://wrwtfww.com/album/through-the-looking-glass

"Palto Flats & WRWTFWW Records are ecstatic to announce the highly-anticipated reissue of Japanese percussionist Midori Takada's sought after and timeless ambient / minimal album "Through The Looking Glass", originally released in 1983 by RCA Japan.

Considered a Holy Grail of Japanese music by many, "Through The Looking Glass" is Midori Takada’s first solo endeavor, a captivating four-song suite capturing her deep quests into traditional African and Asian percussive language and exploring contemplative ambient sounds with an admirably precise use of marimba. The result is alternatively ethereal and vibrant, always precise and mesmerizing, and makes for an atmospheric masterpiece and an unparalleled sonic and spiritual experience. "

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    Midori Takada "Through The Looking Glass" is being reissued this month:
    "Palto Flats & WRWTFWW Records are ecstatic to announce the highly-anticipated reissue of Japanese percussionist Midori Takada's sought after and timeless ambient / minimal album "Through The Looking Glass", originally released in 1983 by RCA Japan.

Considered a Holy Grail of Japanese music by many, "Through The Looking Glass" is Midori Takada’s first solo endeavor, a captivating four-song suite capturing her deep quests into traditional African and Asian percussive language and exploring contemplative ambient sounds with an admirably precise use of marimba. The result is alternatively ethereal and vibrant, always precise and mesmerizing, and makes for an atmospheric masterpiece and an unparalleled sonic and spiritual experience. "
    Will have to try this again. It didn't excite me the 1st time.

I can't see that anyone has mentioned the Mr Bongo reissue of "Wahoo" by Eero Koivistoinen. 3-4 tracks of seriously funky jazz. Seriously funky.

I can't see that anyone has mentioned the Mr Bongo reissue of "Wahoo" by Eero Koivistoinen. 3-4 tracks of seriously funky jazz. Seriously funky.
    Weird they'd put that out, I just go it on Svart from the label in their recent sale.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Possibly they aren't.

I see that the copy that I didn't get on Dusty Groove was on Svart. A brief follow up suggested Mr Bongo - but nothing to suggest availability.

Worth pursuing in earnest if that is your thing.

No one else got onto these? I ordered mine from Honest Jons last week

Superfly reissue of Andrew Wartts and The Gospel Storytellers ‎– There Is A God Somewhere

and Shamek Farrah ‎– First Impressions

Its nice that both these were reissued because the original pressings each fetch a serious amount of money.

Yes! Got the Farrah last week, excellent. Honest Jon's one of the few places still selling it by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Yes! Got the Farrah last week, excellent. Honest Jon's one of the few places still selling it by the looks of it.
    Any barcode, and are the labels like strata east or do they have superfly written on them, how about sound quality ?

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Superfly reissue of Andrew Wartts and The Gospel Storytellers ‎– There Is A God Somewhere
    Does anyone know if they got rid of that high pitched whine / noise from the recording? If they did, how's the sound quality? Some amazing songs on there but I just can't listen to the original because of that defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    Does anyone know if they got rid of that high pitched whine / noise from the recording? If they did, how's the sound quality? Some amazing songs on there but I just can't listen to the original because of that defect.
    They did. I got the reissue in 2014 and it sounds just fine. The cover isn't great, mind. The back of the cover I prefer to the Superfly issue however, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Thanks, good to know! And either I've just wiped it from memory or I'd missed that 2014 reissue too. Either way, onto the wants list it goes.

YouTube clips of Lloyd Mcneil's " Washington Suite" are tempting me.

YouTube clips of Lloyd Mcneil's " Washington Suite" are tempting me.
    Has that been reissued again ?

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Has that been reissued again ?
    Looks like it has. I just checked discogs and it seems that even the last reissue sells for £60 or so.