Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2017 finds

Speak of the devil...
    Went to the big indoor flea market held in a sport arena today. No Lee H finds, but a nice clean UK Wild Life for 2£. Very enjoyable album.

On the Lee H front I pulled the trigger on a Requiem For An Almost Lady from a Swedish seller with reasonable price. Getting there...
    Next in line is I'll Be Your Baby Tonight which is hard to find. And the LHI singles/oddities comp by Light In The Attic.
    Don't know if I'll bother with the Finnish record he did in the 90s, haven't heard good things about it.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

After a terrible few weeks outside of records i caught a lucky break and had a very fruitful day yesterday.

I've not heard the top two but I know colleseum as I found their first lp a while ago. Hopefully this one has a similar sound. This is the first velvet underground record I've got and haven't heard anything so don't know what to expect. Pretty cool cover.
    Bottom line are doubles. Love the quintessence as I just said in a thread a week ago or so. Was surprised to find both the pink island and the palm tree pressing inside.

Sadly the small faces ogden nut is missing the cover but the mono record will still sound uhm like the mono record.

The other 3 are unknown to me. The beggar's opera cover is great and folds out into a huge postery type thing.

Had a listen on YouTube. Sounds good.
    Here is the title track...
    https://youtu.be/AxQod4CKjLY

The storyteller ones sound great, again after a quick listen on YouTube. I like a bit of flute sounds...
    https://youtu.be/kONbWfDiNv8

And there was this. I've already got this but a later press and can't even remember playing it as I like no 4. Record has some marks and is a bit dirty but when I get home I'll clean it up on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I've not heard the top two but I know colleseum as I found their first lp a while ago. Hopefully this one has a similar sound.
    Not quite. It's Colosseum plus Chris Farlowe.
    I'm sure some people here love him, but my heart always sinks when I see his name in the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    Not quite. It's Colosseum plus Chris Farlowe.
    I'm sure some people here love him, but my heart always sinks when I see his name in the credits.
    I don't know who he is or at least by name...
    I'll keep an open mind

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Brit R'n'B / Blues / Soul Shouter .... I'd highly recommend his entire output . Up to a point !!
    Ace finds Jay
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

The other 3 are unknown to me. The beggar's opera cover is great and folds out into a huge postery type thing.

The storyteller ones sound great, again after a quick listen on YouTube. I like a bit of flute sounds...

Storyteller features the mighty Terry Durham I believe.

Correct yes Terry on vocals
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

It's taken three months to reach me (via my sister in Phoenix) and about ten years to track down an affordable copy (and as a result I've had to accept a "bit" of ringwear) but finally have this ripper in my hands:

Not maybe the everyday listening of many on here but as close to USHC as any local band to me ever got. Loving it!

And there was this. I've already got this but a later press and can't even remember playing it as I like no 4. Record has some marks and is a bit dirty but when I get home I'll clean it up on the machine.
    I take it you realise how much a Turquoise Led Zep goes for!!!??? If not - Google around for a pleasant surprise. Also, if those Storyteller LPs are originals - then you've had a very good weekend indeed!!!
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
    I take it you realise how much a Turquoise Led Zep goes for!!!??? If not - Google around for a pleasant surprise. Also, if those Storyteller LPs are originals - then you've had a very good weekend indeed!!!

Yeah I knew it was worth a fair bit when I snagged it. But was suprised to see how much they were actually selling for. Mad, it's not like it's a different mix or anything right unless I'm missing something it's just just the colour and the listed credits make it desirable to zeppelin fans... is it really that rare though, there's loads of them listed on ebay as we speak.

The storytellers are on transatlantic. I'm looking forward to playing them this afternoon when I get home

Well if you paid next to nothing for the zep expect big returns if you sell on. Withdrawn as the band didn't like the colour of the text as you probably know. There were probably tons of them pressed though. I remember being at a record fair when I was in my late teens in the early 90s and asking a dealer how much the turquoise zep was in his racks. He just told me to just put it back

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Well if you paid next to nothing for the zep expect big returns if you sell on. Withdrawn as the band didn't like the colour of the text as you probably know. There were probably tons of them pressed though. I remember being at a record fair when I was in my late teens in the early 90s and asking a dealer how much the turquoise zep was in his racks. He just told me to just put it back
    I've seen copies on the wall at Utrecht with stupid prices even though each and every dealer seems to have one and I saw one stall with three all in a row...but still with insane prices. I don't think it's that raer but it's in demand...hence the prices.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I've seen copies on the wall at Utrecht with stupid prices even though each and every dealer seems to have one and I saw one stall with three all in a row...but still with insane prices. I don't think it's that raer but it's in demand...hence the prices.

Must be the demand then as you say. If there's loads of copies floating about then to me it's not rare or erm there wouldn't be loads of copies for sale as for selling it on I'm rubbish at offloading records and regret offloading a bunch in an earlier life...

I played 5 or so of them yesterday. Storyteller was nice

I know dealers down the market have sold the Zep for four figure amounts...and not even had to put it online to get that.

Ive heard there are fake LZ 1 turquoise covers being made. People matching them with superhype credit vinyl.

All sorts of records have turned up in the past week or so, from the quite rare to the just plain stupid, but I love them all!

Yes, this really is what it says it is on the sleeve, the other side is like totally tartan, mon.

In the same box as the Tartan album was this vanity project by some Disco/Jazz Funkateers from the late 70's,
    a fancy sleeve housing a one sided 5 track especially embossed gold disc. It must have cost quite a bit to
    make these even then, but it's a shame the music didn't have the same attention to detail.

Volume 2 of the lovely sound of whales, I probably have vol 1 somewhere...

This was a surprise charity shop find, in with some other interesting stuff like The Birthday Party,
    Pavement etc, I took an arm full to the counter and was all ready to pay whatever they were and
    the lady said "all the records are 20p" and as I took an intake of breath she followed it with "EACH!"

The sleeve of this took my eye and turns out to be a lovely compilation of ladies performing in the 30's

It's always good to find an NTC - a Nice Topic Compilation

Private pressing 7", signed label, local band, but it's a bit rubbish to be honest.

An early Xmas treat (for me) with spoken word/songs, a picture flexi-disc on a label I'd not seen before
    I doubt it's the Planet label, but cheers anyway Santa!

A good addition to my football records collection which takes up half a shelf now.

Just a couple of midweek minnows from me.

First two were from Rob's last Friday. I do like a bit of Joni when I see her LPs for reasonable prices and the more jazz inflected stuff is definitely hitting the spot. I'm not a massive fan of solo Moz, but this is one of his more Smiths-esque tunes and I used to love this one in my teens, so it was nice to get nostalgic. And the 'Spellbound' 12" was an eBay cheapie, one of those ace 80s 12" remixes and probably the most played tune on my turntable lately.

After nipping in Rob's, I faffed about far too much (Valentines-related) and missed my bus. So, with a few minutes to kill, nipped in the British Heart Foundation shop. They've had a substantial collection of disco / boogie 12"s in lately, mostly either naff or a bit too 'chart'. Think they're being drip-fed into the racks, so I check back a couple of times per week. Anyway, got the Fat Larry's Band for my mate and was surprised to find that someone had apparently fallen out of love with The Strokes. I was mad for 'Is This It' when it came out, but I'm not so fussed now, think it's just a case of over-exposure, but I reckon said mate will be happy to have it. Doubt I'll listen to the other two, but they were far too good to leave behind when they'd make good trades fodder. Just felt a bit weird seeing summat so recent / contemporary in a chazza. It's one thing getting my head round seeing 12"s from my Uni days cropping up (and making me feel old), now it's stuff that the young 'uns listen to. Crazy.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

After a terrible few weeks outside of records i caught a lucky break and had a very fruitful day yesterday.

I've not heard the top two but I know colleseum as I found their first lp a while ago. Hopefully this one has a similar sound. This is the first velvet underground record I've got and haven't heard anything so don't know what to expect. Pretty cool cover.
    Bottom line are doubles. Love the quintessence as I just said in a thread a week ago or so. Was surprised to find both the pink island and the palm tree pressing inside.

Sadly the small faces ogden nut is missing the cover but the mono record will still sound uhm like the mono record.

Got mine for £1.20in 1978 in Soho. Mines got a jump on You Shook Me.The rest is clean as anything. Considered flogging it recently. What do people think would be a ball park figure in that nick?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

A one where the seller said it jumps on side 2 didn't sell yesterday on ebay for 800.

But who knows Paul mate... I think it's fair to say you'll make a substantial mark up on your outlay that's for sure

Yep should defo be 3 figures even with a jump, might be worth putting it up for a negotiable price on gumtree and dealing in person with someone, both parties are happy and you dont get any comebacks or any commission to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Nice haul.... Dig Vinyl in Liverpool by any chance?

Whats the Lp under Zalatnay?
    Rock on Penderyn

Traffic : Last Exit ... I think Rhys
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Got mine for £1.20in 1978 in Soho. Mines got a jump on You Shook Me.The rest is clean as anything. Considered flogging it recently. What do people think would be a ball park figure in that nick?
    You could fix that jump and double your money.
    A 10x microscope and a steady hand...

Haha! Rare? There's over 1200 of the blighters on here!
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

And a toothpick

I did one the other day just using my Numark portable, which tracks kinda heavy, and running it forwards and backwards by hand. Why someone would pay big money for a record just because the title is a different colour is beyond me. Have I got that right? It's just a different colour title? For God's sake flog it man, while the madness is at it's height.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Last weekend mum and dad (that's me) trucked down to the south coast and took our son out for a birthday lunch. New Forest area. Afterwards we said what now? My son beat me to the suggestion of charity shop trawling. My wife didn't complain - turns out my son is now a fan of the chazzas (comes of being a student I guess) and my wife has also recently converted.

So we found a couple close by. First one was an independent, which was promising. They had a fair amount of of vinyl but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. My wife found a cardi , and my son a CD. I was aware that someone had come in and dropped off some donations but I hadn't paid it any attention. I went for a peruse of the CDs which were near the counter. Then I noticed an LP record case on the floor. Empty I thought, picked it up - no it wasn't. It wasn't easy to open but managed it in the end. The lady behind the counter (friendly, if a little scatty) said "oh thanks you managed to open it, I couldn't". So this was the drop off, or at least part of it. Fresh vinyl! I dug in and pulled out some interesting stuff - my wife was watching as I did so and said afterwards my hands were shaking! I asked the lady if she needed to vet them first, but no, 50p each she said.

OK, no Vertigo swirl grails, but not a bad haul.

78s are
    Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
    Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers- I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent

The five Beatles EPs are in fantastic condition and original releases. Nowhere Man appears to be the real gem.

Three Hollies 45s. The Hollies (and The Troggs) I always pick up if I come across them. I have probably led a sheltered life, as this is the first time I have come across Miners M Make-Up adverts on the reverse of Parlophone sleeves.

The stack in the picture are mostly Elvis Presley tri centres etc EPs. They are not in great shape (especially the sleeves) and I kinda knew I shouldn't have bothered with them, but I was carried away in the moment. Stones, Animals, Dusty, Bill Haley also in there.

Nothing of note in the other chazza we visited (Age UK where the vinyl was not priced to sell) but my son did add a nice coat and a mug (from The Isle Of Harris of all places) to his haul.

Today's mixed bag is all from one very local chazza which seems to have a decent turnover of records all of a sudden.

Blancmange - Mange Tout
    . Always partial to a bit of Blancmange.

A few Library records today too! These two looked like they were worth investigating:

Highway 101 (De Wolfe)
    & Images (Bruton Music) - not listened yet.

Abba - The Winner Takes It All
    12". Why? I hear you ask.

Drum roll....

Has to be worth something to the Abba collectors I thought.