Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2017 finds

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Good stuff CD. I've only got one Namelosers 45, "Land of the 1000 dances". Absolute off the scale early fuzzed up monster.
    Didn't know the Doris tune, that's great. What's theflip of the Cads like?
    Yeah, Namelosers are among my faves when it comes to Swedish 60s. Actually looking for that "Land of the 1000 dances" myself, it's not easy even here...

The Cads B-side is Don't Know My Tomorrow, not as good. They had another 45 with different flipside to Get Out Of My Life Woman:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Couple from the Doormat:

Slows - Slows Modular synth and Farfisa Organ noodling on Deep Distance and very nice indeed, check him out on Bandcamp. :

Matthew Herbert Big Band - Goodbye Swingtime I remember when this came out but cant remember what I thought of it one of those stick a bid on and forget about it jobs on ebay. :

And a quick trip in to town got me these off the market for nowt. 'Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline' which is a bit beaten up but might be a solid VG I wont know until I play it but I was more chuffed with the BBC Music time record I'd never seen before. Edit: Never been a Dylan fan to be fair I've never tried but this country effort is really solid. He doesn't sound like he normally does and it seems completely at odds with his protest music and the year. The lyrics are almost childlike in their simplicity and it all sounds very slick. I like it, never thought I'd say that about a Dylan album. Give me a call MOJO magazine.

Last edited by amidar; 25-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    12 Top Songs Nr.4 - I'm intrigued by 'soundalike' LPs like this. Whats the correct term for this kind of LP? I'd love to know more about them. There were plenty of dutch labels active in this market but I don't know if the recordings originated here or if they were licensed from abroad. I've never been tempted by the Top of the Pops series, for some reason, but the cover of this one is irresistable.
    I'm a bit of an addict as far as these are concerned - Studio 33 was a Dutch label that's got links with the British budget label Avenue Records, though exactly what the links are I'm not quite sure! These recordings were pretty much always done in London with British musicians and vocalists. It's rumoured Elton John, in the days when he did covers records to earn a crust, cut a version of Saved By The Bell for a Dutch company, but the recording's thus far not turned up - I don't suppose it's him on this one, is it?

Recent finds from various charity shops, digging holes, discogs, local shops and one freebie from Shere Kahn.

Last edited by Davedave; 01-03-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedave View Post
    Perfect design and copy with the 'Mono' label too! I will need this for my upcoming trip/baptism in the Northern Land.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Aye its a cracker, pulled from the back bit of a charity shop today. I'm sure there was more to be found in there but I had to leave to pick up my eldest from football. Hopefully I'll manage to get back there tomorrow before the sharks come and grab everything. Was told some guy bought 127 records from there last week.

Done some decent pottering / bimbling this week, mostly round chazzas, but also nipped in Rob's Records and Anarchy on Friday.

Nowt major, just keeping things ticking over. A pleasant amount of keepers, but the respective 'Out' piles have also had a bit of a boost (such is life).

Remember I mentioned that a local chazza seemed to have had a collection of disco / boogie 12"s offloaded, well, I'm still picking the odd thing up out of there and it does seem that it's being replenished a couple of times per week (as I left one 12" behind in error on Tuesday, then went back to get it on Thursday to find it had gone, other folk have found this stash too). So I got a spare of the Mary Jane Girls 12" with the instrumental of 'All Night Long' (probably heading to my mate's collection), some random Brit disco EP (not feeling it, think it will be in the freebies pile), Carl Carlton for my mate, ditto Chocolate Milk w/ 'Action Speaks Louder Than Words' (which actually came out of Anarchy on Friday). Don't mistake my kindness for weakness though yeah?

Bought Nirvana out of respect to the Cobain, hadn't realised his 50th would have been this week (sigh). The Meat Puppets section of this performance had been earworming me for days, so I nipped up to Rough Trade on my dinner break and made sure I could listen to 'Oh Me' and 'Lake of Fire' on nice 180g vinyl that night. The rest are from Rob's. Bit of grunge, bit of very inexpensive prog and another plug for the up-an-coming beat combo from Liverpool - I just realised that I didn't have 'Rain' on vinyl - a schoolboy error now corrected.

Top two were from Anarchy. Not much to say about the Cyndi Grecco, other than it's fairly pedestrian yacht rock / pop, with some notable sessioners, which is why there's one nice clavinet / drums breakdown. Dave Pike is another thing altogether, wasn't expecting much from it what with it being tunes from bloody 'Oliver!' and dating from 1963, but it was only a couple of quid and I'm liking side two a lot, where it goes quite modal and reminds me a lot of Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown stuff ('It's A Fine Life' is mint). Bottom two from chazzas in Sherwood. Hadn't actually got the Zacharias myself, so will hang on to that. Spare of John Keating, can't remember the last time I found one of these - bet it's a good three years, if not more.

Odds and sods. Muhammad Ali soundtrack from a chazza, only the Mandrill track is of any real note, doubt I'll keep this. Random wonky disco 'LP' (Side A - One Track, Side B - Three tracks) with Geoff Bastow involvement. One track sounded decent on first contact. The Equals from one of Rob's cheapo boxes, just in case someone round these here parts wanted it. Bottom two from Rob's on Friday. Judy Ongg, not too sure about, nearly breaks into disco grooves in parts, but is a touch too restrained for me I think. I must be one of the rare Plussers who's never had a copy of the Rock & Drums 'Eleanor Rigby' affair, remedied now and it's a surprisingly consistent quality listen, pure VV / VG+ fare mind, but nowt wrong with that.

No more vinyl purchases til I've ate at least ten pancakes.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thames View Post
    I'm a bit of an addict as far as these are concerned - Studio 33 was a Dutch label that's got links with the British budget label Avenue Records, though exactly what the links are I'm not quite sure! These recordings were pretty much always done in London with British musicians and vocalists. It's rumoured Elton John, in the days when he did covers records to earn a crust, cut a version of Saved By The Bell for a Dutch company, but the recording's thus far not turned up - I don't suppose it's him on this one, is it?
    Just gave it a spin, and it really doesn't sound like him.

It doesn't surprise me to learn that many of these recordings probably originated in London. Every now and then I do come across an LP on which the singers are obviously Dutch - or at least not English.
    My favourite Dutch 'soundalike' releases are the Black Tulip BT 5000 series, not that they're fantastic but some of them are pretty interesting. Some are split albums, e.g. one side Slade covers, the other side Sweet, or Elton John/Bowie, or Alice Cooper/T.Rex, which is great. Findable in Utrecht for a euro. I'm still looking for 3-4 titles, including the Jesus Christ Superstar one.

The week in finds...a spare hour between clinic and barbers netted me these...

[IMG][/IMG]

Marc Collin - 'Les Kidnappeurs' - Three tracks related to a French movie I've never seen. I already have one, but I wasn't going to let this copy of a great OST 10" from the late 90s go ignored in the Barnardos. Collin is from the same mould as Air, and Ollano and Nouvelle Vague are also on his CV. The title track is total Morricone meets Barry meets De Roubaix on the set of a spaghetti thriller stuff, there's a fine housed and dubbed up remix by Jackson and a gorgeous instrumental on the flip too. Shame the full soundtrack was never issued on vinyl, but if you must buy the cd (and you must), spend the extra and get the Japanese version that includes everything on this record too.

The John Barry Seven - 'Black Stockings' - Never found much JB7 material that can live with his later skills and this hasn't changed my mind...
    Hoyt Axton - 'Della & The Dealer' - the last copy of this I posted is on the Youngblood International label but this is on the rare earlier turquoise print............££££££££s!!!!!!!!*
    Peter Sellers - 'A Drop Of The Hard Stuff' - and why not?

Indigestion following Sheffield Wednesday's lunchtime defeat at L**ds on Saturday was only mildly relieved by a visit to an Oxfam where I found (on the right)

[IMG][/IMG]

'Wipeout! - 20 Guitar Instrumental Greats' - which will likely be gifted to a recently decked up mate....although things started to look better over the road at the Cancer Research Shop where they'd got some new stock in....I was greeted at the front of the rack by (on the left)...

Paco Pena - 'Flamenco Guitar' - another for my burgeoning flamenco collection and Paco he make 'special price'! And not even the £1.85 that the HMV Shop had originally proposed either, for once this usually quite pricey (by chazza standards) shop had lopped everything to a quid and I went on to find...

[IMG][/IMG]

Walter Carlos - 'Switched On Bach' Vol 2'/'The Well Tempered Synthesizer' - both well looked after although one cover needs reglueing...

[IMG][/IMG]

Elton John - 'Rock Of The Westies' - a nice trip down Memory Lane for me - there's some great bits on this album although it tends a bit towards the self-indulgent..Caleb Quaye was back in the fold and Bernie's lyrics were sharp...

Kevin Coyne - 'Let's Have A Party' - Never really got to know Mr Coyne's work at the time, this comp of his Virgin period with one live side reveals something of a bar room philosopher, kind of Bon Scott with an Open University degree. The band can be both tidy or untidy, as the mood takes them. Not really for me I suspect. Another prominent sticker too...next up...

[IMG][/IMG]

Jimi Hendrix - 4 Track EP
    Simple Minds - 'Sons And Fascination'

Any Jimi in good nick is a no-brainer. A colleague who has recently bought his daughter a turntable had asked me to look out for some Simple Minds for them. Dutifully, all those copies of 'New Gold Dream' and resulting 12s that were getting in your way last week suddenly disappear. This is still fresh in it's HMV shrinkwrap, but I don't think early Simple Minds was what they were really after, whereas early Simple Minds is the only Simple Minds I can listen to and I managed to get through it with no major dramas...might hang on to it...yeah, they really want 'New Gold Dream' I reckon...

I also got a Falla album, and CDs by The Fall, Patti Smith. The Beatles.Bowie and Miles for £1.50 each....oh and finally...

[IMG][/IMG]

Paul McCartney & Wings - 'Venus & Mars'

Internal Voice 1: Oh look, a really nice copy of 'Venus & Mars'!

Internal Voice 2: I've got a really nice copy of 'Venus & Mars.' Practically mint.

Internal Voice 1: But it's an OG. For a quid. And it's got both the posters. Yours hasn't got any posters.

Internal Voice 2: Has it got the roll of stickers too?

Internal Voice 1: Errr...no.

Internal Voice 2: Go on then...

more soon...warning: monster 45s post...

* oh, apparently not....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Haven't done a show and tell for a while so here goes ...

I've put a quick description for people like me who are behind bloody company firewalls!

Monkees - Head (shitty, crappy Japanese cover - hate it!)

Esquivel - Other Worlds, Other Sounds (in a shop where a copy of the Wicker Man in beat-up condition was way overpriced this was about 1 quid 50. A few scratches but maybe only one audible)

Akiko Wada - 土砂降りの雨の中で (In the middle of the pouring rain) - a real soul belter - nice cover design too.

The Spiders - ザ・スパイダースの大進撃 (The Spiders' Big Break) - fairly generic GS action with a bit of vaguely jingoistic/racist banter between the tracks

Ventures - Man from UNCLE - love this version

Carmen Maki - 山羊にひかれて(I was charmed by a goat - yes, really!)dark, sad folky, quite nice.

The Sound of Feeling - Spleen (eccentric 60s experimental pop)

Golden Cups - 長い髪の少女 (Young long-haired girl) - listened once and instantly forgot it ...

Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

All from local record stores and fairs

Clockwise from left:
    Paul Simon "The Rhythm of the Saints" very cheap German original and very nice. I saw Paul Simon live last October, it was possibly the best gig I went to last year.
    Charles Tolliver "The Ringer", affordable Japanese copy, no obi but I'm not an obi obsessive.
    Liza Minnelli "Results", I'm a Pet Shop Boys fan
    Malcolm X College African-American Jazz Ensemble "Collegiate Jazz Festival Live", excellent collegiate jazz funk, I didn't know the album and it was a pleasant surprise. I'm sure you know the feeling of discovering a good album for the first time

Bill Withers ‎– "+'Justments", I like Bill Withers a lot, especially the "Live At Carnegie Hall" album ("I can't write left handed" and "Grandma's Hand's" are so moving). +'Justments is more funky.
    Stanley Clarke s/t, cheap funky mid 70s lp, thankfully less fusion, more jazz/experimental and definitely a record I wouldn't buy some 15 years ago.
    Richard Beirach "Methuselah", another Japanese album and again no obi. Discogs says it's "contemporary jazz" and who am I to disagree?
    Undercurrent is a Classic Records reissue. Coincidentally I saw Louis Hayes Quartet ft. Jeremy Pelt live in Athens a couple of weeks ago.
    I like Kate Bush. Again both are Japanese pressings (oddly enough "Lionheart" seems to be an original but it is a single sleeve lp) without obi.
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

This weekends freebies acquired in exchange for a charitable donation.

The condition was the main attraction for most of these. In the end I was pleasantly surprised by the content in most cases.

Anthony Newley - Love Is A Now And Then Thing. This is the dud of the four. Ever since I heard Bowie in his supposedly cod Newley Sixties incarnation I have wondered whether Newley really did sound so odd. First time I have come across a Newley in the wild as far as I am aware. He does sound odd. Straight to the outpile.

Mel Torme Live At The Crescendo. Very enjoyable jazzy crooning.

USAFE Band - Sounds Of Freedom. A record of two halves. First side is straight up big band forties style. Second side is great - a sub(?) group called Galaxy doing some passably funky contemporary numbers (recorded in 1978) - Stevie Wonder's Another Star for example. A couple of vocal tracks. Really enjoyed this side.

This Record Was Made By John Betjeman On The 9th Day Of June 1959. i.e. way before his 70s outings to music and when he was a mere lackey like the rest of us. Didn't know he had committed to vinyl before the 70s. Pleased with this.

Just had a listen, echoes of Pentangle with a slight proggy edge to it. It's very clinically produced for me which detracts from the listening experience for this type of thing especially when it's clearly apeing music of a certain period I'd prefer some cliched 'warmth' . The Iron Man cover works and I love the 'Harvest' tribute artwork on the label inners and it will probably grow on me with repeated listens but not blown away despite the muscianship being very good. For 4 quid and if you like folk it's worth making up an order with. This album closer sticks out as the highlight for me. :

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I almost bought this album last year. Let me know what you think after you give it a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post

Carmen Maki - 山羊にひかれて(I was charmed by a goat - yes, really!)dark, sad folky, quite nice.

Turbo
    Love that goat one. Who cares what it sounds like.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Default ...

'Golden Cups - 長い髪の少女 (Young long-haired girl) - listened once and instantly forgot it ...' - did you not flip it over and listen to the kick-ass B side then?

I used to have a copy of that Japanese Head LP love those pastel shadings ... have you seen the earlier RCA Japanese issue with the gatefold cover and pull-out inserts? That's a thing of wonder.

Really need to get a copy of that Akiko Wada 45, however meanwhile I bagged a cheap copy of this deranged freakbeat number from The Spiders off ebay on the weekend for not much:

Another one chalked off the wants list.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Chiba View Post
    'Golden Cups - 長い髪の少女 (Young long-haired girl) - listened once and instantly forgot it ...' - did you not flip it over and listen to the kick-ass B side then?
    I used to have a copy of that Japanese Head LP love those pastel shadings ... have you seen the earlier RCA Japanese issue with the gatefold cover and pull-out inserts? That's a thing of wonder.
    Really need to get a copy of that Akiko Wada 45, however meanwhile I bagged a cheap copy of this deranged freakbeat number from The Spiders off ebay on the weekend for not much:
    Another one chalked off the wants list.
    i'm pretty sure i listened to the b side, but i'll have to have another go with my ears on

i did see a japanese promo of Head a few weeks ago, which looked nicer, but i don't know if it had the extras ... it was about 100 times what i paid for mine

good catch on the Spiders ... i pass on a lot of GS these days because so much is completely lame, but B sides are often a lot better e.g. B side of Spiders なんとなくなんとなく is a pretty decent version of John Lee Hooker Boom Boom ... still hoping to chance on a copy of Golden Cups' version of Hey Joe ... one day ...

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Just had a listen, echoes of Pentangle with a slight proggy edge to it. It's very clinically produced for me which detracts from the listening experience for this type of thing especially when it's clearly apeing music of a certain period I'd prefer some cliched 'warmth' . The Iron Man cover works and I love the 'Harvest' tribute artwork on the label inners and it will probably grow on me with repeated listens but not blown away despite the muscianship being very good. For 4 quid and if you like folk it's worth making up an order with. This album closer sticks out as the highlight for me. :

Thanks for posting your views on this one. I agree with your take, and it will be one I'll keep a look out for. Cheers.

I found a copy of al wilson the snake in a charity shop and traded it a couple of days later for a five pound note and this. Webster Lewis and the Post Pop Space Rock Bebop Gospel Tabernacle Chorus and Orchestra Baby! Counterpoint re - issue.
    Love the way they take the Drifters 'Under the Boardwalk' ,deconstruct it and own it, you may recognise the lyrics but not the tune.

So I have been walking around with a full card of Sue Ryder reward points (I know ,I know) worth a fiver in my pocket for a bit.when I spotted this. Either a reasonably priced re - issue or a cheap original. Turned out to be the latter - which is characterised by a smiley face and 'HP' scratched in the deadwax - should you ever need to know.

record licker

Local man finds local record on local market stall exclusive. While most traders were at home cowering from Storm Doris I pulled this out of a box full of scratchy Motown related sevens.
    The Neat - Hormones In Action - 1979

record licker

I went to the Corn Exchange record fair on Sunday.I always struggle to spend any money here. But it's a beautiful venue which raises my spirits just being in there.
    These came cheapo from 'Friendly Dan'. The moniker is a geographical reference rather than alluding to his demeanour.

Etta James/Sugar Pie Desanto - In The Basement
    In vogue RnB dancer.

And Lancashire Modern Soul Georgie Fame - Daylight.

Last edited by relkeel; 28-02-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    record licker

Hmmmm.....Friendly Dan may be a geographical reference - but I have to point out this doesn't quite work for Georgie Fame....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-32931942

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    Hmmmm.....Friendly Dan may be a geographical reference - but I have to point out this doesn't quite work for Georgie Fame....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-32931942
    Fixed, I mixed him up with Alan Price for some reason.
    Please don't tell me Alan Price is from Scunthorpe
    record licker

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Please don't tell me Alan Price is from Scunthorpe
    It's OK Relkeel, he isn't.....although I believe Piers Morgan may be...

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    It's OK Relkeel, he isn't.....although I believe Piers Morgan may be...
    That could explain the 'c*nt' in Scunthorpe
    record licker

Yes to the baby goat sleeve. Yes. Although I am curious about the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Yes to the baby goat sleeve. Yes. Although I am curious about the music.

Cute. But it's only a matter of time.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8vn91dwWg
    record licker

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    I found a copy of al wilson the snake in a charity shop and traded it a couple of days later for a five pound note and this. Webster Lewis and the Post Pop Space Rock Bebop Gospel Tabernacle Chorus and Orchestra Baby! Counterpoint re - issue.
    Nice. I didn't even know "The Snake" was a Northern soul anthem ... had never heard of Al Wilson until The Snake appeared in a box of 7s recently. Contact me if you need it. I'll be letting mine go (Japanese red vinyl).

I thought I would expand my Scrumpy and Western section with a job lot (well four) of Dorset's answer to the Wurzels, The Yetties. First, The Yetties ‎– Up Market:

The Yetties ‎– Up In Arms:

The Yetties ‎– Let's Have A Party:

The Yetties ‎– In Concert:

The penultimate top popper of the 1970s, Top Of The Pops ‎– Top Of The Pops Vol. 76:

Complete with The Pope Must Die poster! Robbie Coltrane ‎– Speedy Gonzalez:

Absolutely star Morwenna Banks with The Adventures Of Parsley ‎– White Horses:

Stephen Hawking Sings Monty Python ‎– Galaxy Song:

Some more Coltrane gems on here, The Majestics ‎– Tutti Frutti:

Their eponymous 1976 debut LP featuring late journalist and writer Miles Kington on bass. Instant Sunshine ‎– Instant Sunshine:

Scottish flag waving nonsense, Various ‎– Highland Fling:

Gerard Hoffnung ‎– The Sound Of Hoffnung:

Let the Love in! Geoff Love & His Orchestra ‎– Big Bond Movie Themes:

A NEW (!) RELEASE - Count Arthur Strong and Anita Harris ‎– Somethin' Stupid:

Bob Monkhouse leads the cast in the 1960 London Coliseum panto production. Bob Monkhouse, Doretta Morrow, Ronald Shiner with Ian Wallace and The Bill Shepherd Singers ‎– Aladdin:

Absoutely no idea why he thought this would be a good idea, but here it is, Bill Maynard ‎– Stock Car Racing Is Magic:

Alan Bennett's first west end play, John Gielgud and Alan Bennett, Dorothy Reynolds, Paul Eddington, Nora Nicholson ‎– 40 Years On:

Kilted for softness & strength, Andy Stewart ‎– The Best Of Andy Stewart:

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    Nice. I didn't even know "The Snake" was a Northern soul anthem ... had never heard of Al Wilson until The Snake appeared in a box of 7s recently. Contact me if you need it. I'll be letting mine go (Japanese red vinyl).
    Thanks Turbo, but it isn't one I need. I always pick these perrenials up, if found cheap, they are reliable bargaining chips to trade up... as above.
    record licker