Thread: February 2017 finds

Hybrid View

Default February 2017 finds

Briefly out and about today I found this for $5. Ex+(conservative)/ Vg+ (conservative - ringwear)

[IMG][/IMG]

I sense a profit!

I had this a while back and IIRC it has one solid mid-70's funky-jazz track. And a couple of also-rans. My attempts to sell the last one elicited almost no interest. One of the vendors I tried to sell it to subsequently tried to interest me in a copy, telling me (genuinely, I think) that it had some great moments on it.

PM me if you are interested. There is at least one clip on Youtube.

Edit - on closer examination, the sticker hides the rip from the removal of a previous sticker.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 04-02-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Sticker rip

some recent singles finds

This must be the 3rd copy of this I have found in the wild but this one is signed on the back!*

*not really

Sadly not signed but a most curious EP from 1965

Another EP (from the same 49p box) was this instrumental oddity from 1963

I could find only one mention to this 7" released in 1963 the label Advision Ltd which normally released acetates,
    so this is most probably privately pressed.

The A side of this tune was released as a gold flexi (which I already have) but this vinyl copy
    has an exclusive B side - with the sound of a lady saying "DAF Trucks" in a sexy/husky voice over an instrumental backing.
    I read somewhere that this was released for the first UK Motor Show in 1978 - woo!

This is probably the best of the sevens I've picked up cheap in the past few weeks.
    I have plenty of BBC 7"s but this really was the first time I've picked this classic kids TV theme
    up with it's oddly titled instrumental B side and it's an A label promo too.

It was nice to pick up an original mono UK issue, it turns out that with it's 3 pronged centre intact it's a 3 figure rarity.

The crackin' debut release from '73 by Freddie and the lads.

Another addition to my collection of sound effects on vinyl, this one has a great car crash!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

Sadly not signed but a most curious EP from 1965
    Wow, I don't know if you remember, but I found an acetate by The (Liverpool) Roadrunners a bit over a year ago. I had some mail conversation with group members to verify it was them and delved into their history.
    I think this EP was the only proper release they did despite being also-rans playing at The Cavern, mates with The Beatles. If you can call a panto charity EP a proper release. There are two Star Club LPs but these seem to have been live recordings stuck out without the band's knowledge.
    The acetate I have is from 1965 Fontana sessions in the last phase of the band, after major line-up changes.
    That's a great find!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Top finds as ever Mr. Gardener... I salute you.

But, I don't get it... why are the Roadrunners dressed as monks?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I echo Cratedigger's congrats on the Roadrunners find, HG - not reputed to be great, but a real nice find all the same - well bagged sir. And while I'm here, some finds.....

NON-FOOD....

[IMG][/IMG]

Philips 8212 'Spatial Stereo' Radio Cassette - OK, not a find as such, but rescued from post-digital obscurity in my stepmother's home over Xmas. It was bought by my Dad c.1982 and express orders were issued that it was for parental use only...haha, fat chance Dad... I've cleaned it up and it still plays cassettes nicely although that 'Spatial Stereo' doesn't sound quite as magical as back then and it's certainly no ghettoblaster....

Recycled Inner Sleeves - 50p for a bundle of 20 from enterprising local chazza...

Memorex C90s - Five bob apiece from same...

FRESH FOOD...

[IMG][/IMG]

Cavern Of Antimatter - 'Blood Drums' - A timely reissue of the Cavern's 'real' debut set from a few years back, a very limited press which was demanding silly prices on Discogs before I even knew of it's existence. A thrilling full on journey into kraut which I had streamed countless times from the Grautag Records website (still there if you want to check it) and I'm glad to have bagged one, even if I was too late for the super duper limited version with, erm, whatever it was that made it special. This re-ish has taken on the CoAM corporate livery so no stunning b/w photos of sublime industrial architecture this time.

Last find of 2016....

[IMG][/IMG]

Freddie Phillips - 'Camberwick Green' - High drama as pre-apocalyptic societal breakdown grips a small village when the lands of the neighbouring village of Trumpton are inherited by a distant relation of Lord and Lady De Trompe. It all begins with a planning row about a 'big beautiful wall' being built around the golf course but soon escalates when inhabitants of nearby 'terrorist' Chigley are forbidden entry. Freddie 'The Shredder' Phillips soundtracks the action with suitably doomsdayesque metal mayhem.

[IMG][/IMG]

John Betjeman - 'Betjeman's Banana Blush' - Looking forward to reacquainting myself with these works which I remember getting a fair bit of airplay on Radio One's 'Sounds Of The Seventies' thread at the time. This one's a bit tatty and lacks the lyric sheet, but it was cheap enough.

Mari Wilson - 'Ain't That Peculiar' - Late 80's period Mari Wilson twelve which I haven't played yet but it has a nice portrait (not an Ashworth snap, either...)

STORED IN THE LARDER....

[IMG][/IMG]

Jake Thackray - 'Jake's Progress' - Not the best copy of the Maestro's work, but it'll do until a better one turns up...

[IMG][/IMG]

'How To Give Yourself A Stereo Check-Out' - Decca stereo demonstration thingy. At one point, Jack DeManio gets with a 'pretty lady' in the right channel. You all know the form here....

Dylan Thomas - 'A Child's Christmas In Wales' - You know, I meant to play this at a certain time recently and forgot....ah well it can wait....

'Music For Your Movies' - Fine if you're doing a remake of 'Animal Magic' as the theme is on here...

John Barry, Michael Crawford et al...'Billy' - from the stage version of 'Billy Liar', not even Barry's involvement can rescue this for me...

...and the 2 sleeveless wonders...

Dave Brubeck - 'Bossa Nova USA' - warped......

Plastic Bertrand - 'An 1' - the one with 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' and 'Pogo, Pogo' on...

More to come....

'Really, Mrs Honeyman?.....He kidnapped your cat?'
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Nice finds GC I own a few of those. I did know about the 'Blood Drums' reissue via BLEEP could have had the limited version but was skint still not bought the black one for my sins. I have a few of those including the CINE one and nice to see JT because everytime I see him I think about playing some.

Edit: I just have bought the black one but it will take a week to reach me all because I'm a penny pincher! Lots of silly money copies of the Limited Edition out there seems the grippers and flippers were out in force for that one.
    Last edited by amidar; 04-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    Top finds as ever Mr. Gardener... I salute you.

But, I don't get it... why are the Roadrunners dressed as monks?
    cheers man, unfortunately I cannot answer the monks conundrum either, no clues on the disc...

Anyone here's some finds whilst I wait for a video to encode which are mostly the result of a 'lucky dip' trade with the gent known as Shere Khan. :

[IMG][/IMG]

First from Mr Khan and the first 'Renaissance' LP pre 'Annie Haslam' which Treeboy posted recently and is rather nice and as a bit of a prog head but someone who does not get on with their later albums I ask is it worth venturing to their second?

Gavin Friday was a surprise (Thanks Shere) as it's not something I'd pick up unless I saw it cheap, really strong album of bittersweet, poignant love, life songs that I've already returned back to. I'd always mentally filed him as 'Rockabilly' in my frazzled head for some reason. On the strength of this as there are only 2 weak songs on it given first impressions I forgive his close relationship with Bono and if you played it to me I'd never guess it was from 1989. Some top session work including 'Bill Frisell' on acoustic guitar.

Glide is 'Will Sergeant' of 'Echo and The Bunnymen' fame with his 90's ambient excursions on this 10" which is like a full album really of trippy guitar led ambient tuneage, right up my street and shall be investigating more as less prized 90's electronica especially ambient is one of my things as it were. It also reminds me I do need a storage solution for 10" records and that 'Ian McCulloch' is a drunken bore.

A one sided test pressing of a Hawkshaw medley affair I never see on my travels. Looks like a DJ has probably used it to set up his anti-skate but it will make good sample fodder and Karma willing I'll find a sleeveless copy but it'll go in my LP frame until then!

I found the ring worn 'Robert Knight' in a chazza the other day. It's a first press on 'Rising Sons' but has a corner cut and a 'monument' sticker on the front so must be an import from back in the day. It's barely played but has an ever such slight warp I'd expect from the cover its been in it's sleeve for a long long time.

[IMG][/IMG]

A Chazza find in 'Chico Lopez' which seemed familiar and of course it's 'South of the Border' repackaged which I also discover was released as 'Dali Caldis plays Latin'.

Totally Mint Equals on MFP comp for 50p which I couldn't leave behind.

From Shere again some 'Lighting Red' Muller action which I already own but not with a laminated cover I don't think. It's so sad to think I am excited by that!

'Sarathy Korwar ‎– Day To Day' think I mentioned this as I bought it last week but it is fabulous if you like Indo-Jazz or jazz in general.

'Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village' Yep it's one of those magazine jobbies but it's not everyday you can walk out of WHSMITH with an Albert Ayler album albeit for £14.99. I justified it to myself that it was a gatefold replica and comes with a free magazine I will probably never read.

Crikey it's a 45" 'What's Going On as one of my cats namesakes once said in fact if was around now he'd probably add a harmonised expletive in there. It's on BBC records and it's not 'Chi Mai' or indeed 'Every Loser Wins' it's the theme from 'Quiller' which made me feel all funky although I still don't remember the show.

I know dealers down the market have sold the Zep for four figure amounts...and not even had to put it online to get that.

Ive heard there are fake LZ 1 turquoise covers being made. People matching them with superhype credit vinyl.

All sorts of records have turned up in the past week or so, from the quite rare to the just plain stupid, but I love them all!

Yes, this really is what it says it is on the sleeve, the other side is like totally tartan, mon.

In the same box as the Tartan album was this vanity project by some Disco/Jazz Funkateers from the late 70's,
    a fancy sleeve housing a one sided 5 track especially embossed gold disc. It must have cost quite a bit to
    make these even then, but it's a shame the music didn't have the same attention to detail.

Volume 2 of the lovely sound of whales, I probably have vol 1 somewhere...

This was a surprise charity shop find, in with some other interesting stuff like The Birthday Party,
    Pavement etc, I took an arm full to the counter and was all ready to pay whatever they were and
    the lady said "all the records are 20p" and as I took an intake of breath she followed it with "EACH!"

The sleeve of this took my eye and turns out to be a lovely compilation of ladies performing in the 30's

It's always good to find an NTC - a Nice Topic Compilation

Private pressing 7", signed label, local band, but it's a bit rubbish to be honest.

An early Xmas treat (for me) with spoken word/songs, a picture flexi-disc on a label I'd not seen before
    I doubt it's the Planet label, but cheers anyway Santa!

A good addition to my football records collection which takes up half a shelf now.

Just a couple of midweek minnows from me.

First two were from Rob's last Friday. I do like a bit of Joni when I see her LPs for reasonable prices and the more jazz inflected stuff is definitely hitting the spot. I'm not a massive fan of solo Moz, but this is one of his more Smiths-esque tunes and I used to love this one in my teens, so it was nice to get nostalgic. And the 'Spellbound' 12" was an eBay cheapie, one of those ace 80s 12" remixes and probably the most played tune on my turntable lately.

After nipping in Rob's, I faffed about far too much (Valentines-related) and missed my bus. So, with a few minutes to kill, nipped in the British Heart Foundation shop. They've had a substantial collection of disco / boogie 12"s in lately, mostly either naff or a bit too 'chart'. Think they're being drip-fed into the racks, so I check back a couple of times per week. Anyway, got the Fat Larry's Band for my mate and was surprised to find that someone had apparently fallen out of love with The Strokes. I was mad for 'Is This It' when it came out, but I'm not so fussed now, think it's just a case of over-exposure, but I reckon said mate will be happy to have it. Doubt I'll listen to the other two, but they were far too good to leave behind when they'd make good trades fodder. Just felt a bit weird seeing summat so recent / contemporary in a chazza. It's one thing getting my head round seeing 12"s from my Uni days cropping up (and making me feel old), now it's stuff that the young 'uns listen to. Crazy.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.