Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: February 2017 finds

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Absoutely no idea why he thought this would be a good idea, but here it is, Bill Maynard ‎– Stock Car Racing Is Magic:
    Your ability to find stuff like this is extraordinary - I am in awe!

Picked up some nice rap, funk and jazz over the last couple of weeks:

Visage - Pleasure boys remix 12 "
    Chuck Brown and the soul searchers - We need some money 12 "
    William devaughn - Be thankful for what you got 7 "
    FredaPayne - The easiest way to fall 7 "
    Ms. Melodie - Wake up / Live on stage 12 "
    Eric Kloss - First class Kloss
    Charles Kynard - Reelin w the feelin
    France Joli - Now
    Ezüst express / Silver express
    Slick rick - Children's story 12 ", still in shrink w sticker
    ESP - Wild thing / Come on and get widdit/We got it 12"
    Grandmaster melle mel - white lines '89 "

I see that Yetties album on Argo a lot albeit in the same shop that it's resided in for a few years now. I have been tempted on occasion.

Doormat find and must admit I checked this out in a download before I bought it as these ABC reissues are not cheap but this is unreleased material which has been around in one form or another on the internet if you know where to look but not sounding as clean as it does here. It's really fresh sounding and could have been recorded yesterday but I'm guessing this must date back to the late eighties early nineties.

To me this is better than the first album although I could be overstating that as there is nothing that touches the beauty of 'Lilywhites Party' but it brought a tear to my eye to hear previously unheard Cardiacs related material and Tim Smith singing his weird hybrid of folky prog sea shanties crossed with church hymns which is probably the best way to describe it to be honest, he's truly a musical one off. Great cover art and gatefold sleeve too with insert.

The Sea Nymphs - On the Dry Land

On another folky tip this was a punt as there are a few things on 'Folk Heritage' I'm looking out for among a lot of chuff so when I spied this and saw the 73 vintage and full band presence including flute player and songs called 'Merlin' and 'Mr Sax' I thought it worth the £1.75 punt. I was dissapointed by the opener which is a bland country and western tune which I wasn't expecting having researched the man beforehand but after that it settles into good folk in parts, quite catchy and a he's a good songwriter with an ear for a catchy chorus despite some terrible lyrics. I'm quite pleased with it a definite keeper and 90% more folk than country despite the opener although I have no idea why that discogs seller wants over a ton for a copy from Hungary probably trying their luck.

It's the lyrics I find part of the charm of these things I'm a sucker for Brit folk singers who I know lived not to far from me littering their songs with references to 'Fresno' and other Americanisms. I have a 45" of a guy I know lived 2 miles up the road from where I grew up and he sings 'Mexico Aye A' on it very David Brent I suppose but I find it charming.

Rod Neep - Heading for the Sun

I did say I researched which wasn't hard even though he only has one record on discogs. He teaches guitar, makes guitars and other stringed instruments, sells guitars, has them custom made for him and also makes some rather fine pens and shaving accessories in between filling his day scanning old books and helping Kenyan kids. It's true it's all here. : http://www.rod-neep.com/

I say 'terrible' lyrics more that they are of their time and as said hold a certain charm. He does have a clever with words and song although It was disappointing the song 'Merlin' is seemingly not about the famous Mythical Wizard at all but at first listen a tune about a guitar playing psychedelic hippy.

Was pretty stoked to find this og pressing in Glasgow yesterday. Sleeve is hella beat up but the record is in great condition.
    'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Quote Originally Posted by Davedave View Post

Was pretty stoked to find this og pressing in Glasgow yesterday. Sleeve is hella beat up but the record is in great condition.
    Was this from Missing? And I'm intrigued about your BBC sound effect 45s, heard about a collection residing in Glasgow which was meant to be landing at some point...

You have a weird definition of hella beat up.

I'm intrigued by the background - is that a psychedelic carpet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    Was this from Missing? And I'm intrigued about your BBC sound effect 45s, heard about a collection residing in Glasgow which was meant to be landing at some point...
    Aye it was from missing. BBC records will be heading there next week sometime when I get back from Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    I'm intrigued by the background - is that a psychedelic carpet?
    It's a coffee table my mate made us as a trade for some graphic design werk. His website is silodesignandbuild.com or Simon_harlow on instagram if you want to check out his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    although I have no idea why that discogs seller wants over a ton for a copy from Hungary probably trying their luck.

It's listed in the most recent Record Collector Dreams (7001) by Hans Pokora with a 2 disc rating, which places it's valuation at €100 -€180. Imo, the price valuations of the listed rarities in the RCD volumes are not very accurate, as they are arbitrary dealer valuations, with no consideration of actual prices paid on ebay, discogs, musicstack, etc. However, the seller you mention is probably aware of the Pokora book entry.

I notice you have it Moe or have had, what's your verdict? I don't think it's half bad, has a certain charm about it but a terrible opening track.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

It's listed in the most recent Record Collector Dreams (7001) by Hans Pokora with a 2 disc rating, which places it's valuation at €100 -€180. Imo, the price valuations of the listed rarities in the RCD volumes are not very accurate, as they are arbitrary dealer valuations, with no consideration of actual prices paid on ebay, discogs, musicstack, etc. However, the seller you mention is probably aware of the Pokora book entry.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I notice you have it Moe or have had, what's your verdict? I don't think it's half bad, has a certain charm about it but a terrible opening track.
    Yeah, it's worth having. Not a great album by any means, but a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Thanks Turbo, but it isn't one I need. I always pick these perrenials up, if found cheap, they are reliable bargaining chips to trade up... as above.
    No problem relkeel. It was actually an open offer to anyone reading ... I shall be offloading it. I'm very fond of northern soul but that doesn't cut the mustard for me ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."