Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2017 finds

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    Last weekend mum and dad (that's me) trucked down to the south coast and took our son out for a birthday lunch. New Forest area. Afterwards we said what now? My son beat me to the suggestion of charity shop trawling. My wife didn't complain - turns out my son is now a fan of the chazzas (comes of being a student I guess) and my wife has also recently converted.

So we found a couple close by. First one was an independent, which was promising. They had a fair amount of of vinyl but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. My wife found a cardi , and my son a CD. I was aware that someone had come in and dropped off some donations but I hadn't paid it any attention. I went for a peruse of the CDs which were near the counter. Then I noticed an LP record case on the floor. Empty I thought, picked it up - no it wasn't. It wasn't easy to open but managed it in the end. The lady behind the counter (friendly, if a little scatty) said "oh thanks you managed to open it, I couldn't". So this was the drop off, or at least part of it. Fresh vinyl! I dug in and pulled out some interesting stuff - my wife was watching as I did so and said afterwards my hands were shaking! I asked the lady if she needed to vet them first, but no, 50p each she said.

OK, no Vertigo swirl grails, but not a bad haul.

78s are
    Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
    Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers- I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent

The five Beatles EPs are in fantastic condition and original releases. Nowhere Man appears to be the real gem.

Three Hollies 45s. The Hollies (and The Troggs) I always pick up if I come across them. I have probably led a sheltered life, as this is the first time I have come across Miners M Make-Up adverts on the reverse of Parlophone sleeves.

The stack in the picture are mostly Elvis Presley tri centres etc EPs. They are not in great shape (especially the sleeves) and I kinda knew I shouldn't have bothered with them, but I was carried away in the moment. Stones, Animals, Dusty, Bill Haley also in there.

Nothing of note in the other chazza we visited (Age UK where the vinyl was not priced to sell) but my son did add a nice coat and a mug (from The Isle Of Harris of all places) to his haul.

Nowhere man.
    What a Great track.
    I'd be well happy finding that for 50 pence.

They had it in oxfam in Jesmond but wanted 75 quid for it

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Nowhere man.
    What a Great track.
    I'd be well happy finding that for 50 pence.

They had it in oxfam in Jesmond but wanted 75 quid for it
    It looks like that is approaching it's achievable rate (for a minty copy). Knowing Oxfam it would have had condition issues, and Oxfam seem blind to condition when pricing.

Hit quite a few charity shops today. All quiet on the north eastern front.

Only one I picked up was this. Sadly not the version with turquoise lettering

Quite enjoyable actually, me and the 6yo just been having a blast...

A few recent 45s

I like Oh CalcuttaThe Ron Anthony is a very laid back version. It's the first track on this you tube video of the whole LP

The Sparrow has Elaine Paige singing. I like it. It builds quite nicely to an orchestral flourish and a massed voice chant before relaxing back. I had no idea it was Elaine Paige until I looked for the video.

Mary Roos. Why wouldn't you like it. I would go further; I love this song. You can't really hear him on this video but when I was playing it I said to Mrs Khan "I don't know who played the bass on this but he should get a medal" he's a total monster. Mary Roos was German but she sounds great in French.

Ernie Hines once belonged to Harriet Starling and Anthony fields. Perhaps I should add my name to it as well.

Handa Wanda- The Wild Magnolias 'Smoke my Peace Pipe' on the B Side

Late Buffalos

Sons of Champlin 'Fat City'. Screaming vocals, swirling hammond organ, horns, a solid beat, choppy guitar...don't think they left anything out.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    Nice haul.... Dig Vinyl in Liverpool by any chance?

Whats the Lp under Zalatnay?
    Nice one.

Traffic - Last Exit under Zalatnay, some from dig vinyl, some from cult vinyl, some from random charity shops.

Marlena Shaw - Out Of Different Bags - hadn't seen this '67 Cadet album before, quite groovy stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL25...=RDVL25VR21Vrg
    Jimmy Hamilton - In A Sentimental Mood - WRC jazz cheapie recommended on here possibly? "Tempo De Brazilia" and "Taj Mahal" are the two more interesting tracks
    Art Pepper with Strings - Winter Moon - '81, but sounds much earlier, like an easy listening classic. Only have "Meets the Rhythm Section" which is amazing, and have avoided listening to anything else he did in case it didn't live up to that, but this looked interesting.
    Alice Babs and Svend Asmussen - Scandanavian Songs With Alice And Svend - odd home studio affair from '64, sung in English with quirky easy-ish arrangements. The sleeve is a sort of hessian bag.
    e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb5O8ZQIWqc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-rGIcZ-xEM

Peter and Chris Coe - Open The Door And Let Us In - early Trailer release, husband and wife folk duo, 8 quid in Oxfam which seemed pretty reasonable. I like a lot of albums on Trailer, but not sure if this is a keeper yet.
    Frankie Armstrong - Lovely On The Water - mid 70s Topic. On the mudcat forum a few years back people compiled a list of good 60s/70s folk albums, I think this was on there
    Paul Stookey - Paul And - charity find, early 70s solo album from Peter, Paul and Mary guy, was hoping for lost-classic pop folkster goes country psych affair. Sadly despite ticking a lot of good boxes, it doesn't seem that great, but there's a couple of nice tracks
    Word Of Mouth Chorus - Rivers Of Delight - I think this was the only non-field recording of "Sacred Harp" shape note singing available for years. Is a bit tame in places compared to some of the "real" stuff on youtube, but it's a beautiful listen and hopefully a good starting point

Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain
    Ragni, Rado, MacDermot - DisinHAIRited - songs that didn't make the normal Hair LP. not played yet, and not expecting too much, but it was cheap and my Hair-game is weak, probably only about 10 LPs (stumbled over a Hair chart on here from a while back, and hadn't even heard of half of them)
    Spirit - Live Spirit - from a local charity that is normally pretty dry. Been keeping an eye out for a couple of their early LPs, but don't think this live album is the best starting point for them
    The Maskman & The Agents - Wigs - random 45 found with the Spirit LP. Not his best, but couldn't leave it there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPuw-TSWDE
    Katarzyna Gärtner, Czerwono-Czarni ‎– Pan Przyjacielem Moim (Msza Beatowa) - well known here, have been meaning to buy this for years. cheapish copy from ebay, gatefold a bit tatty
    Tomita - The Bermuda Triangle - I love "The Snowflakes Are Dancing" but haven't kept other LPs of his. This looked a bit more interesting, it's classical pieces (a lot of Prokofiev) but seem to be more effect-laded and synthed up

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post

Ragni, Rado, MacDermot - DisinHAIRited - songs that didn't make the normal Hair LP. not played yet, and not expecting too much, but it was cheap and my Hair-game is weak, probably only about 10 LPs (stumbled over a Hair chart on here from a while back, and hadn't even heard of half of them)
    Spirit - Live Spirit - from a local charity that is normally pretty dry. Been keeping an eye out for a couple of their early LPs, but don't think this live album is the best starting point for them
    The Maskman & The Agents - Wigs - random 45 found with the Spirit LP. Not his best, but couldn't leave it there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPuw-TSWDE
    Katarzyna Gärtner, Czerwono-Czarni ‎– Pan Przyjacielem Moim (Msza Beatowa) - well known here, have been meaning to buy this for years. cheapish copy from ebay, gatefold a bit tatty
    Tomita - The Bermuda Triangle - I love "The Snowflakes Are Dancing" but haven't kept other LPs of his. This looked a bit more interesting, it's classical pieces (a lot of Prokofiev) but seem to be more effect-laded and synthed up
    Everyone get s a mention except Ann Peebles. Surely that should say- Ann Peebles, I can't Stand The Rain, worth it for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Everyone get s a mention except Ann Peebles. Surely that should say- Ann Peebles, I can't Stand The Rain
    Thought it didn't really need anything further saying... Been meaning to get that album for years. Had the LP after this for years, but this one seems to be getting more expensive, so went for a cheap copy because of the damaged sleeve. Think I only knew the title track from this. Love the "Hi" sound though, "Let's Stay Together" is probably a desert island album for me.

Only other Ann Peebles I have is "Trouble, Heartache and Sadness" on 45, which is a) great and b) sampled on GZA's "Shadowboxing"

Straight From The Heart is also a great LP, worth picking up. Although similarly, prices on that (or at least the London issue) have shot up over last few years.

See Ann Peebles - buy it. Simple.

Al Green got all the Hi hits and the marketing muscle (and don't get me wrong, he was great) but Ann and was easily his equal musically. Syl Johnson and Quiet Elegance were two more who suffered in Al's shadow.

Mary Roos. Why wouldn't you like it. I would go further; I love this song. You can't really hear him on this video but when I was playing it I said to Mrs Khan "I don't know who played the bass on this but he should get a medal" he's a total monster. Mary Roos was German but she sounds great in French.

The backing track from this, sans Mary, surfaced on an April Orchestra library music LP if you want to hear the bass player a bit better. The German version is called 'Morgens Um Funf' and is a b-side, incredibly.....what a waste! It sounds better in French, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thames View Post
    The backing track from this, sans Mary, surfaced on an April Orchestra library music LP if you want to hear the bass player a bit better. The German version is called 'Morgens Um Funf' and is a b-side, incredibly.....what a waste! It sounds better in French, though.
    Thanks Lord T, Vol 1 right? Might look out for one of those- in fact looking thorough them there appear to a few I should look out for..damn it! I listened to 'Morgens Um Funf'-terrible. Like a bag of hammers falling down some stairs. Just sounds really hard to fit the words to the tune. As I say, on my 7" the bass player comes through loud and clear- almost as if he nipped back after the session and remixed it himself thinking, 'That bass really needs to be a little more out front'. I have a 45 of 'L'Autoroute' on which he is far more restrained. As it happens 'Amour Toujours' is also a b-side, to 'Viva' which is nice enough-a sort of superior Eurovision song- but nowhere near the equal of 'Amour Toujours'.
    Last edited by Shere Khan; 19-02-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Ragni, Rado, MacDermot - DisinHAIRited - stumbled over a Hair chart on here from a while back, and hadn't even heard of half of them
    Should we update the Top 10 Ultimate Hair Cuts?

I think I found the thread again, or at least one of the Hair discussions I was looking at the other day: nlgbbbblth's Hair Chart

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...rt-(with-mp3s)

I think I was also looking at a blog with a load more I never knew existed.

Amarcord Nino Rota

$10. Near mint/ Near mint.

Early 80's mainly jazz takes on Rota tracks for Fellini films. Picture may follow.

Google tells me that this is sometimes credited with being the first modern ' tribute ' lp.

My immediate reaction is that I find the brightness and clarity of the production off-putting.

Carla Bley' s contribution reminds me of ballad of the Fallen : changes of mood and pace. Too jaunty by half for me overall.

Dave Samuels Vibes interludes too pretty.

Bill Frisell track too diffuse.

Bed now.

I think I found the thread again, or at least one of the Hair discussions I was looking at the other day: nlgbbbblth's Hair Chart

Nice. The Broadway Matadors is still my favorite.

Still without a car so apart from walking into town which has been mainly bare most of my purchases have been online. I wont bother posting pics of the 'Cavern of Anti Matter', 'Soundcarriers' reissue or 'The Moomins' but first up. :

Ed Macfarlane's eighties library comp which I've wanted since HG posted about it in the YouTube thread. I should check my collection of Chappel AV's and see if I have any of these. Only done side 1 so far which starts off great, I sensed a slight whiff of cheese in part of it but I really need to sit down and give it a proper listen. :

I'd seen Glistens in Juno after it had been out of stock only to return the next day and it had gone, was back in the other day though but I pre-ordered from Normans and threw this Static Caravan release with a folky version of Iron Man in for good measure as it was charity shop cheap. I've not listened yet.

Men-An-Tol ‎– Through The Quoit. :

Treeboy has me into all things 'Deep Distance' at the moment so ordered this from the artist on Bandcamp signed which was nice on the inner. Turns out through tracking him down on twitter he is a Professor who lectures in Drugs, legislation and the Law etc and makes Synthy Kraut infused music on the side. :

Melodien - Theurgy. :

I'd been having a minor discussion about how as I got older my liking of late eighties Rush was becoming more with the deputy editor of 'The Wire' of all people. If you can call tweeting each other a conversation that is. That apart the fickle callused fngers of Geddy Lee fate must have been shining down as I discovered these 2 in excellent condition in BHF in town.

My top find possibly of the year is this ebay auction I put a little money on and forgot about not expecting to get it so when I won it for 99p my heart missed a beat, would the seller let it go, would it be mysteriously lost? My fears were unfounded though and It looks clean, seller said he'd cleaned it on their OKKI-NOKKI but there is a bit of crackle more so on side 2 hell if it were scratched and had a jump I wouldn't care. So after going on 20 years my Peddlers collection is complete apart from any 45s and the 'Power' compilation. If anyone on here sold it, it's gone to the best home possible!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    My top find possibly of the year
    Hardly needs saying 99p is a bit of a bargain (to say the least) You need to keep your eyes peeled for the Melodie Du Kronk LP from some years back. Same chap as Melodien and very decent stuff.

Nice. The Broadway Matadors is still my favorite.

Amidar - I liked the earlier Melodien album on Deep Distance as well: https://www.discogs.com/Melodien-Par...elease/5465223

Mailbox finds, Swedish 60s 45s. No pic sleeves, but that made them reaaonable to come by.

Cads do a pretty good Get Out Of My Life Woman, which seems to have been a standard among Swedish bands at the time.
    I just love how Doris (known for Did You Give The World...) storms through Go Back To Daddy, it's on her debut album.
    Namelosers were the local heroes in the Malmö scene, just three 45s, an EP and a few stray tracks available with them. There is a compilation made in the 80s as well, but that's becoming pricey as well now.

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Cheers Shere I didn't know that and I'd flipped past it checking the GPS discography. Yep well chuffed, I curse myself for not buying it years ago when prices were a little more reasonable. It's not like I haven't heard it a lot but it still feels good to finally own it.

That's the one I was after Bongo from the soundclips I heard but when I saw he was still selling the follow up on Bandcamp I thought I'd give it a go. The previous seems to have doubled in price but I'm sure I'll track a reasonably priced one down.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post

I'd seen Glistens in Juno after it had been out of stock only to return the next day and it had gone, was back in the other day though but I pre-ordered from Normans and threw this Static Caravan release with a folky version of Iron Man in for good measure as it was charity shop cheap. I've not listened yet.

Men-An-Tol ‎– Through The Quoit. :
    I almost bought this album last year. Let me know what you think after you give it a spin.

Thanks Lord T, Vol 1 right? Might look out for one of those- in fact looking thorough them there appear to a few I should look out for..damn it! I listened to 'Morgens Um Funf'-terrible. Like a bag of hammers falling down some stairs. Just sounds really hard to fit the words to the tune. As I say, on my 7" the bass player comes through loud and clear- almost as if he nipped back after the session and remixed it himself thinking, 'That bass really needs to be a little more out front'. I have a 45 of 'L'Autoroute' on which he is far more restrained. As it happens 'Amour Toujours' is also a b-side, to 'Viva' which is nice enough-a sort of superior Eurovision song- but nowhere near the equal of 'Amour Toujours'.
    Yes, volume 1 it is - what I hadn't realised is the backing track for 'Viva' turns up on another April Orchestra LP under the title 'Pour Fair Lever Le Soleil'.

I'm now going to have to investigate Mary's French output further, I think I might like it!

Will do Moe.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I almost bought this album last year. Let me know what you think after you give it a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    Last weekend mum and dad (that's me) trucked down to the south coast and took our son out for a birthday lunch. New Forest area. Afterwards we said what now? My son beat me to the suggestion of charity shop trawling. My wife didn't complain - turns out my son is now a fan of the chazzas (comes of being a student I guess) and my wife has also recently converted.

So we found a couple close by. First one was an independent, which was promising. They had a fair amount of of vinyl but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. My wife found a cardi , and my son a CD. I was aware that someone had come in and dropped off some donations but I hadn't paid it any attention. I went for a peruse of the CDs which were near the counter. Then I noticed an LP record case on the floor. Empty I thought, picked it up - no it wasn't. It wasn't easy to open but managed it in the end. The lady behind the counter (friendly, if a little scatty) said "oh thanks you managed to open it, I couldn't". So this was the drop off, or at least part of it. Fresh vinyl! I dug in and pulled out some interesting stuff - my wife was watching as I did so and said afterwards my hands were shaking! I asked the lady if she needed to vet them first, but no, 50p each she said.

OK, no Vertigo swirl grails, but not a bad haul.

78s are
    Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
    Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers- I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent

The five Beatles EPs are in fantastic condition and original releases. Nowhere Man appears to be the real gem.

Three Hollies 45s. The Hollies (and The Troggs) I always pick up if I come across them. I have probably led a sheltered life, as this is the first time I have come across Miners M Make-Up adverts on the reverse of Parlophone sleeves.

The stack in the picture are mostly Elvis Presley tri centres etc EPs. They are not in great shape (especially the sleeves) and I kinda knew I shouldn't have bothered with them, but I was carried away in the moment. Stones, Animals, Dusty, Bill Haley also in there.

Nothing of note in the other chazza we visited (Age UK where the vinyl was not priced to sell) but my son did add a nice coat and a mug (from The Isle Of Harris of all places) to his haul.
    Nice couple of mid 60s Beatles records there. Sadly the car boot wasn't so fruitful last weekend!

Not often I post finds, I know. I got most of these last weekend at a school fundraising sale in a nearby town, plus a charity shop I rarely visit in the same area.

John Mayall - UK second stereo-only issue. Well known, of course. Nice copy apart from a rodent chewed corner bottom left.
    Blood Sweat & Tears - again presumably well known here; that sticker indicates it was shortlisted for an Edison, the dutch equivalent of the grammy
    Linda Ronstadt - a dutch only reissue of her 1970 LP, re-titled to play up the Eagles connection. I like most of her 70s output I've heard but this is a bit too laidback for me.
    Classical Heads - one of the oddities of the early Charisma catalogue, glad to have it a euro though!
    Riccard(o) Cocciante - English language version of Anima on Pink Elephant - never seen this before. Not really my cuppa but I think it's my destiny to have owned every single Pink Elephant release (passing most of them on).
    Booker T & The MGs - nice comp from circa 1970 with red/plum Atlantic labels. A spare.

Feest in Iedersdorp - evangelical shenanigans in Belgium, housed in a fantastic gatefold cover, but not alas harbouring any hitherto unknown hidden gems
    Misa Flamenca - always game for a new Misa me
    Rasa - a spare, as is the Atma beneath it.
    The Apostle - on Light, same participants as on A New Hope (Continental Singers, etc) but reputedly not as interesting.
    Petrus op de Golven (Peter on the Waves) - another dutch christian effort, this time a self-composed musical by Zanggroep Ezra. The cover was too good to pass up, but my expectations of the contents were low . . . justifiably, it turns out.

The Hard Rockers - known for the Afro Rock track.
    Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 - Look Around, dutch A&M, 1967, really clean, had to take it though I don't really know their stuff
    Owen Grey - decent reggae LP on Blue Elephant.
    Paul Nero - I can't find any info about this label. It's listed on discogs as being on King Size Records but I've seen LPs with the same distinctive 'TE' logo on the cover that are on Record Size Records (including an odd Hair LP I sent to nlgbbblbth). My guess is it was some sort of record club. Anyone know more?
    Donna Summer - dutch issue on Groovy, comes with a 6-panel 1977 calendar poster.

Tamla Motown - Dutch comp from 1972, I have volumes 1 and 2 already, so just vol. 3 to go.
    Drive In Disco - weird comp which mixes glam with disco, P-Funk with Showaddywaddy
    12 Top Songs Nr.4 - I'm intrigued by 'soundalike' LPs like this. Whats the correct term for this kind of LP? I'd love to know more about them. There were plenty of dutch labels active in this market but I don't know if the recordings originated here or if they were licensed from abroad. I've never been tempted by the Top of the Pops series, for some reason, but the cover of this one is irresistable.
    Kernenergie Nee Bedankt - a recording of an anti-nucleur show which toured Holland in the late 70s, the dutch equivalent of Aromkraft? Nein Danke!
    Famous Pop Guitar Solos - CBS comp of mostly blues rock tracks from 1969-70. Fantastic record. Shuggie Otis wins.
    World of Hits Vol.2 - German Decca comp circa 1970 with The Attack a.o.

There are a few more LPs and a small pile of singles still to go, but thats enough for now.

Not at all jealous of the Ernie Hines 7".....

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Not at all jealous of the Ernie Hines 7".....
    As you know, much harder then the LP to find.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Mailbox finds, Swedish 60s 45s. No pic sleeves, but that made them reaaonable to come by.

Cads do a pretty good Get Out Of My Life Woman, which seems to have been a standard among Swedish bands at the time.
    I just love how Doris (known for Did You Give The World...) storms through Go Back To Daddy, it's on her debut album.
    Namelosers were the local heroes in the Malmö scene, just three 45s, an EP and a few stray tracks available with them. There is a compilation made in the 80s as well, but that's becoming pricey as well now.

Good stuff CD. I've only got one Namelosers 45, "Land of the 1000 dances". Absolute off the scale early fuzzed up monster.
    Didn't know the Doris tune, that's great. What's theflip of the Cads like?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all