Thread: Dukowski83's Half Term CSC - Part I

Default Dukowski83's Half Term CSC - Part I

Well, I raised the issue so now I have to deliver! It's half term up here, the toddler is in nursery so what better to do than head out and see what I can turn up. Hit issues straight away as I thought I was getting two full days of nursery bliss, but turns out it is only one and a half so with a bit of rescheduling this first part (which was meant to take place in one day) had to be spread over two which bends the old rules a little bit perhaps but the intention was there

First off though toddler and I had to head to the main post office (this was the half day with no nursery so I had a 'helper') as for some reason the one week I await three LPs we get a new postie who seems to not know the way to the local post office (which keeps regular hours, is on my way home from work and does not have a completely inadequate car park). So after three failed attempts to get to the main post office I finally get there (dinking my car door in the process and charged £1.80 for the pleasure as the minimum charge is two hours. For a post office car park!!!!!!!!). Anyway, worth the wait as here is what I was picking up:

Been after the Lochies for ages and the Fife Reivers was a recent discovery via 'Caravan' which seems well known on here. Not sure what's happened with the photo for the Blues Assassins LP but it's decent private press blues rock (with a nice take on Suzie Q).

Anyway, post office related goods aside, it was time to set off down the M80/M8/M77 to the wilds of Kilmarnock (was visiting my parents who live just down the road), bringing back memories of my youth. For those who have not been to Kilmarnock, don't fear you're missing anything - everytime I go back it seems more and more shops and businesses are shutting down. Was going primarily to visit here:

In the past I've found quite a few nice Xian, folk and country types bits and pieces. Always think it adds a frisson of excitement having to head upstairs to a separate room to access the vinyl. No joy on this day though, only one box left lying about and it is just the dregs that I've left before. Next up we move next door and across the road but still no luck, despite a few boxes to look through:

The Debra was particularly disappointing because I often do fairly well in them (and this would be proven later on.....). Still moving on to the main street we came across:

This was where the first 'scores' of the CSC were picked up. In the loosest sense of the word - I'd reached that dangerous point where I felt the need to pick up something which can be the only explanation for the tartan clad horror I am about to expose all and sundry to:

In my defence, the band leader is a blind accordionist and his pianist has draped her piano in a tartan matching the band. And there appears to be a midget playing drums. It could have been outsider gold but it is just bad. Bad. Thought 'Dark Island' might have had something, a bit of a downer track, but then they go all White Heather Club again. I consoled myself with the thought as I picked it up that maybe I didn't already have it listed in my notes on the Thistle label but no, nothing to redeem me there either. Also picked up this:

Which is one of those things that I often pass on and have wondered what it would be like. Bog standard folk 'sung' by a gruff Glaswegian is the answer - one or two tracks are tolerable but the comedy is certainly of a time and place. Amazing that this must have sold so well given how often I see it and his 'Two Headed Man' LP.

Following these questionable purchases the toddler and I had a picnic in the car (in a car park in Kilmarnock, oh the glamour) and then headed to Nana's house where the toddler would distract Nana while I snuck out for petrol and to hit up another Debra hoping for more luck. This time in sunny Stevenston:

Now, this one doesn't look like much but it was full of vinyl last time I was in and again this time had three large boxes (about three foot long each) rammed to bursting so I got busy as I didn't have too much time. This shop is a former supermarket so is pretty big by charity shop standards. I quickly found a few promising bits and pieces including:

It was at this point that I had run out of charge on my phone so couldn't take pictures and realised that I had run out of change so could only pick up three LPs (had to leave four - a private press country effort from Lincolnshire, a version of Hair on Polydor, a Waverley folk comp and something else that I can't remember now) as the rather unique pricing system restricted my options. Strange deal they had on - 99p each or two for £1.98 - swear that was a shop assistant having a laugh (or a poor reflection on the Ayrshire education system). Anyway, choices made I slunk off back to Nana's, had dinner, showered the toddler and headed home (and halfway home realised I had left three quid in my jacket earlier so quietly fumed the rest of the way home).

Of the Debra finds the Kathleen MacDonald is a mint up so I have a spare now (it's decent Gaelic folk, end of side 2 is where the action is for me), the Bat McGrath looked the part and is, I think, from New England and is kind of comedy country/folk and the Settlers is decent xian pop action (maybe known already on here). Couldn't resist the outfits on the cover.

Will put up the next part of the CSC later tonight>

Forgot to post this graffiti we found behind a gym in Kilmarnock which the toddler and I though was rather cool:

Shaping up to be a classic. 99p each or two for £1.98- Not enough change to buy charity shop records- midget drummers-picnics with the kids. I'm itching for part two.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Hurrah! I love a CSC... I presume you end it with finding Captain Marryat in a coastal Debra?!

I'll keep you in sus....ha who am I kidding! No coasts were seen in the making of this CSC although it was another Debra which brought some, err, 'heat'. Up later on the search moves on to the glamorous environs of Maryhill

Where is that last charity shop that used to be a supermarket? Never been to that one before. The CASE one used to yield some good finds, crazy religious ones and a few flexi discs were found in there over the last couple of years. Totally rubbish now but.

I still regret not buying a Gospel Quartet LP on Emblem in the CASE shop - cover looked like a promo shoot for Anchorman (think they were called the King's Singers or Kingsway Singers, something like that - Fuz has it any road). It was mostly religious stuff I found there as well. First time I went they must have had 7 or 8 crates, just the one now.

The Debra in the former supermarket is in Stevenston. If you know the area - as you approach the petrol station at the roundabout you take the low road (to the left) and head towards Saltcoats. About 1/4 of a mile down the road there is a GP surgery and some shops on the left and the Debra on the right. You have to walk through a wee arch and the entrance is in to the left. It's on Fullerton Place according to Google. I actually meant to say in my write up that there was someone else there already at the end of the boxes (always a nervous moment) and he got to talking about how this place was ok and there was a good shop in Kilwinning (Rare Trade - which, despite living in Kilwinning for the first 23 years of my life and both my parents and in-laws still there I have never managed to visit). As he got up I eyeballed his pile which included a Bee Gees best of and a Nat King Cole which he left and I felt safe that he would have passed over anything I was looking for.

Part II -

This morning I covered what was supposed to be the first half of Part I that never quite worked out. With the toddler in nursery I had a morning to myself (sort of - had to go shopping for visitors coming tomorrow and clean the house so had less time than originally anticipated) so decided to go somewhere I'm never covered before in my charity trawls - Possil and Maryhill.

First stop:

Emmaus in Possil/Hamiltonhill. Now, not being Glaswegian, my view of Possil and the surrounding areas is rather tainted by the reports of heroin epidemics in the 80s/90s and the news reports of the 00s describing it as the poorest part of the UK (mostly along Saracen Street if memory serves) so imagine my unease pulling up outside the charity shop to be greeted by this:

Went in and alas there was no vinyl (contrary to their website I must point out). The gent at the desk very kindly offered to phone the other branches to check if they had any vinyl (they didn't - someone had bought all of it in a bulk lot just yesterday. Why springs to mind - they thought it was likely a dealer from Cathcart which seemed a very specific thought to be fair) and as he did so another staff member came out of the store room, took one look at me and said "didn't you used to come in to the Dumbarton Road shop looking for records?" which was impressive recall as I did but only about twice a few years ago.

Duly chastened by my lack of vinyl and burgeoning status in Glasgow charity shop lore I moved on to Maryhill, following the Forth and Clyde Canal to my next stop:

Now Tesco extra doesn't strike me as a vinyl haunt but according to my info it has two charity shops in it - Marie Curie and Barnardos. Turns out to be true but one was shut and the other had no vinyl. Headed out in to Maryhill proper past some lovely old Victorian Glasgow tenements:

Having spent large amounts of time as a kid and a student in Glasgow these buildings always bring back memories. Although having also spent a lot of time studying urban Geography some of those memories are of hours researching urban change and land use so not all rosy-tinted! Went down Maryhill Road to Prince's Hospice (closed) and in search of Maxie Richards (apparently a figment of their own imagination as I could not find any trace of it). So striking out quite spectacularly so far with only one shop left to hit - the usually dependable Debra, this time a Debra 'superstore' opened late 2015 by none other than some celebrity from River City who I have never heard of. It's some size of a place though with it's own car park and separate donation centre:

Can't say I'm much for the architecture but it's three floors of goods although all the vinyl is on the ground floor:

So once again it's Debra who gives at least the opportunity of some finds. First box gives me the full recorded works of Sydney Devine and Glen Daly (who I am tempted to pick up, his Ashfield LP anyway, in the spirit of giving things a try that you might normally pass over and given how blood ubiquitous this thing is in the charities around Glasgow and am curious, just not curious enough yet....) as well as more Mantovani that I have ever seen in one place in my life. Then a CD browser gets in the way stopping me in my tracks so I just have to stand around looking a bit awkward.

Then, just as I settle in to go through the next box a gent appears with a thick jacket, NHS specs and the strongest musk of stale perspiration I have come across for some time and proceeds to stand over me as I try to nonchalantly flick through the remaining boxes. He retreats having not claimed anything and I run through the last box in peace and am rewarded with:

Not a bad haul. The New Faces has one cracking track on it (and I actually hoped to find a copy of this LP as I passed on one last year and then came across some of their singles and really liked them). The Scott Paul Young is a private press jobbie that Fuz tried to offer to me a while ago that I kind of regretted and has a nice Joni Mitchell cover on it so actually not bad. Tom Jones I think is a well known one on here, Mohair Sam track is great and the Gaelfonn was a xian tenor type thing which is awful, just there as ballast and on a punt - will either be buried in the back cupboard for completion or punted back to the wild post-haste. We'll see.

Heading out again on Monday - will update afterwards.....

It's grim up North...
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Thanks for this Dukowski, pretty grim pickings by the looks of things
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Entertaining (and recognisably cathartic) stuff so far D83, keep it up fella. I'm sure I must have passed on The New Faces before now, but I won't next time....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Here is the winner from the New Faces LP:

Did that ever garner a mention on the old site? It should have if it didn't.

I think someone (Lord Thames?) put it on an old Xmas swap CD.

Quote Originally Posted by dukowski83 View Post
    Here is the winner from the New Faces LP:

Such a fantastic track! Surprisingly tough to turn up the UK 45 on Decca. There's another great single by them on Pye ("Never Gonna Love Again") which turns up more often and is worth picking up.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

I still regret not buying a Gospel Quartet LP on Emblem in the CASE shop - cover looked like a promo shoot for Anchorman (think they were called the King's Singers or Kingsway Singers, something like that - Fuz has it any road). It was mostly religious stuff I found there as well. First time I went they must have had 7 or 8 crates, just the one now.

The Debra in the former supermarket is in Stevenston. If you know the area - as you approach the petrol station at the roundabout you take the low road (to the left) and head towards Saltcoats. About 1/4 of a mile down the road there is a GP surgery and some shops on the left and the Debra on the right. You have to walk through a wee arch and the entrance is in to the left. It's on Fullerton Place according to Google. I actually meant to say in my write up that there was someone else there already at the end of the boxes (always a nervous moment) and he got to talking about how this place was ok and there was a good shop in Kilwinning (Rare Trade - which, despite living in Kilwinning for the first 23 years of my life and both my parents and in-laws still there I have never managed to visit). As he got up I eyeballed his pile which included a Bee Gees best of and a Nat King Cole which he left and I felt safe that he would have passed over anything I was looking for.
    Cheers dukowski! Will check it out if I ever venture that far. Hitting up Kilmarnock this afternoon to see if I can find owt.

Dave dave - have you ever hit the Salvation Army in Riccarton? I've not been but it seems to be independent from the usual Salvo's stores -may or may not be worth a shot. Never made it our to the Ayrshire Cancer Support stores down the far end of Titchfield Street either.

Mang - that Pye 45 is great, it's the flip You'll Be Too Late that I really fell for. Their other Pye release Like A Man is well worth picking up as well. Both can be had relatively cheaply/easily in my experience

BRAVO!

i look forward to reading all the other CSC's that will follow this
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Yeah great stuff Stephen! You braved the badlands of the wild west, glad it paid off for you in some measure...

Top stuff.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Dave dave - have you ever hit the Salvation Army in Riccarton? I've not been but it seems to be independent from the usual Salvo's stores -may or may not be worth a shot. Never made it our to the Ayrshire Cancer Support stores down the far end of Titchfield Street either.

Mang - that Pye 45 is great, it's the flip You'll Be Too Late that I really fell for. Their other Pye release Like A Man is well worth picking up as well. Both can be had relatively cheaply/easily in my experience
    Nope but might give it a shot one day. The barnardos collection centre had a whole loads of boxes of records in, got some records there today but probably won't keep most of them. They had more out the back but the lady wouldn't let me have a quick look before they get put out tomorrow, tbh it'll be more Jim Reeves and the like.

Where's the Barnardo's collection centre? Not seen that one

It's across the road from wilkos, almost tucked behind iceland.

Fine selection of grim looking establishments there, Dukowski.

This one, in particular, makes the heart sink.

I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Hit Dundee today with some interesting results, will try to post up tomorrow if I can grab the time

I was happy to finally find that New Faces lp last year....it took longer than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Campag Record View Post
    I was happy to finally find that New Faces lp last year....it took longer than I thought it would.
    Yes, it's a cracking LP. I'm sure I passed over it last year then heard some of it on YouTube via a poster here and got the regret big time so happy to find a copy now (although the sleeve us rather battered)

Thanks for this! Great to see CSC's are coming out to play again this year...

Well done mate. It's tough work, but somebodys got to do it. Think I might try a Lone ranger job, just got to pick my spots. Urgh! sorry, that sounds horrible.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all