Thread: 60s at the V&A

Default 60s at the V&A

I was in the V&A yesterday and noticed a 60s themed exhibition. I didn't have time to go to it. but I really want to go back. might be of interest to the people in London here. it finishes on the 27th of Feb.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/76439/revol...play-at-the-va

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-K View Post
    I was in the V&A yesterday and noticed a 60s themed exhibition. I didn't have time to go to it. but I really want to go back. might be of interest to the people in London here. it finishes on the 27th of Feb.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/76439/revol...play-at-the-va
    I went to it a few months ago. Was quite good although packed which diluted the experience for me.
    Recognised quite a lot of the records they had on display.

Some really nice art / posters in it if you enjoy such things including a few really rare pieces

Looking forward to the pink Floyd one there later this year

I was in London for the Roy Harper gig in RFH back in September and coincidentally the V&A Revolution/60s exhibition had just opened.

For a Greek girl like me who will probably never get the chance again to see so many important bits of 60s memorabilia in one place it was definitely well worth a visit despite the hefty ticket price.

I don't know if a Londonder would be equally impressed. Maybe yes if you have never seen Keith Moon's drum kit, Woodstock memorabilia or the Beatles outfits from the Sgt Pepper cover.

Been. I was in there for 3 hours. Some very interesting stuff in there. Take your time and read everything would be my advice. The Woodstock room was a bit silly for my liking. I didn't know if the bean bags were on the floor so that we could enter into the spirit and sit on the floor like wot people used to do in the '60s, or if they were actually aimed at the ageing punters so they could take the weight off their pins for a bit. Bucky Fuller & Stewart Brand getting their dues. Didn't see much about the elusive Gary Snyder though. They did a fair job of knitting together the changing political climate with popular culture. Miserable old git that I am, I'd recommend it.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I hate bean bags, most uncomfortable seating ever invented. My wife has a friend in her early 50's a very skilled businesswoman who has worked for various 'blue chip' (god I feel a twat saying those words) companies and recently took a break then changed jobs moving on to a company in the center of Manchester. I don't know if they were trying to be all 'google' but she said they held all their morning briefings on beanbags and took great offence when she politely declined to partake in the beanbaggery shenanigans. All sounded very 'Nathan Barley' as I was told it. They let her go after 2 weeks of wasting her time albeit she had other things lined up she had turned down other job offers to join their company not leap onto a beanbag at 9am!

Sorry for the off topic, I still remember the one my mate had in his bedroom 20 odd years ago all they do is give you a sore arse, hurt your back and give you a bad case of swirling head syndrome when you stand up.

People were taking full advantage of the beanbags when we went, Thought it was quite impressive exhibition, although it was PACKED so ended up shuffling in a line past everything and didn't get to spend as much time looking at some of the exhibits. Great collection of posters and printed ephemera from the time, and some oddly impressive stuff like the wicker chair that Huey Newton sat in in that photo. There are a lot of records as well, so you can wander along going 'got, got, got, need, need, got'. And some nicely designed plectrums in the gift shop.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I hate bean bags, most uncomfortable seating ever invented. My wife has a friend in her early 50's a very skilled businesswoman who has worked for various 'blue chip' (god I feel a twat saying those words) companies and recently took a break then changed jobs moving on to a company in the center of Manchester. I don't know if they were trying to be all 'google' but she said they held all their morning briefings on beanbags and took great offence when she politely declined to partake in the beanbaggery shenanigans. All sounded very 'Nathan Barley' as I was told it. They let her go after 2 weeks of wasting her time albeit she had other things lined up she had turned down other job offers to join their company not leap onto a beanbag at 9am!

Sorry for the off topic, I still remember the one my mate had in his bedroom 20 odd years ago all they do is give you a sore arse, hurt your back and give you a bad case of swirling head syndrome when you stand up.
    I had a horrible dream about being slowly digested by a beanbag once.

I have never sat on one since a friend suggested doing away with his annoying hippy flatmate by buying him a beanbag and hiding a desk-spike under it.
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

I've just realised its on where one of my sisters works I'll have to give her a bell and ask her what it's like as I'm nowhere near London but it sounds very interesting and she gets to watch all these things get put together.

I thought it was really good.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

So did I.

Free your mind people!

Live life!

Spirit Duplicatorócollectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Is there anything that isn't improved by maglev?

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I had a horrible dream about being slowly digested by a beanbag once.

I have never sat on one since a friend suggested doing away with his annoying hippy flatmate by buying him a beanbag and hiding a desk-spike under it.
    Spirit Duplicatorócollectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    Free your mind people!

Live life!

"Has he finished playing Star Spangled Banner yet?"
    "No, he's got about another 3 hours left yet"
    "Where's everybody else?"
    "They all fucked off back to work"
    "Wake me up when he's finished"
    "Snoooooooooooooooooooooooooooore"