Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March finds

Just pulled this out of a pound box, been looking for it for 20+ years. Warped, scratched to hell, plays like a champ.

Not one you see every day Sonovox. I'm quite jealous not least it's lesser spottedness but I have a thing for cleaning S2S rekkid fronts. I think it's all that white and bringing it back to it's former glory and your copy is reet for a clean!

Even a nicotine stained Pourcel would not escape my wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Not one you see every day Sonovox. I'm quite jealous not least it's lesser spottedness but I have a thing for cleaning S2S rekkid fronts. I think it's all that white and bringing it back to it's former glory and your copy is reet for a clean!

Even a nicotine stained Pourcel would not escape my wrath.
    Plenty of nicotine action on the back too. Gloat gloat.

Unfortunately lack of 'Clarifoil' on the rears usually foils my cleaning method but the fronts always look great and Wout Steenhuis a lighter shade of yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Plenty of nicotine action on the back too. Gloat gloat.

Anyway few bits and bobs. It's nice to have a car for a bit in between waiting for another one even if it is the mother in laws 1.4 Kia Venga although to be fair I quite like driving it, nippy little thing, crap car speakers. The stereo even has an adjustment for 'Mid' but despite her never setting it up since she's owned it I still cant get it sound much better than shite at a push.

I blame this forum for getting me in to SS Stuff. I used to hear the words 'Singer' and 'Songwriter' and sigh but after really enjoying 'Honky Chateau' was nice to find an EX OG of EJ's debut. Next stop Gilbert O Sullivan or worse. I may pick up his first and 'Tumbleweed Connection' if I see them but I may have regained my sanity by then. :

There is a really strange emporium opened up in a neighbouring town you have to walk up some stairs, down various corridors, through some black curtains and then a door. It's a bit like a creepy lair and the bloke buys gold and sells clothes, baby stuff and some crap records but I did find a mint UK version of this. EDIT: It's no surprise this commands little money for an exotica tinged Baxter record of this period as it's a bit by the numbers stuff, disappointing but nice to have. :

Couple of online purchases. :

Our very own Ian and his band which was way too cheap on ebay and I have the other and it's great! EDIT - This one is better and really seems to have absorbed a myriad of musical styles, some really strong songwriting too. :

Light in the Attic reissue of 'Michael Chapman - Window' which is silly cheap online and I've been seeking out his stuff since I picked up 'Fully Qualified Survivor' in the Sally Army last year. Apparently the artist isn't fond of it but I like it and it has a cheeky cover. I thought this would be an all acoustic affair but it's not it's a full band utilising EJ's producer and some decent musicians and I especially like the bass. The remaster is well done none of that tinny digital gubbins you sometimes get when you read that word. Quite tenuous I suppose but file under Jam's 'Stormbringer' and 'Road to Ruin' and can be had for under 12 nicker delivered on chunky vinyl and solid gatefold sleeve, as ever LITA do a good job on these things.:

Last edited by amidar; 14-03-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Anyway few bits and bobs. It's nice to have a car for a bit in between waiting for another one even if it is the mother in laws 1.4 Kia Venga although to be fair I quite like driving it, nippy little thing, crap car speakers. The stereo even has an adjustment for 'Mid' but despite her never setting it up since she's owned it I still cant get it sound much better than shite at a push.

I blame this forum for getting me in to SS Stuff. I used to hear the words 'Singer' and 'Songwriter' and sigh but after really enjoying 'Honky Chateau' was nice to find an EX OG of EJ's debut. Next stop Gilbert O Sullivan or worse. I may pick up his first and 'Tumbleweed Connection' if I see them but I may have regained my sanity by then. :

Well done for giving EJ some love on this board. Madman Across The Water is worth getting too. One of the first albums I owned and very close to my heart as a result.

I briefly delved into a couple of Gilbert O'Sullivan's albums not so long ago, nothing there.

NP Candiman. You forget how many albums he's done especially from 69-73 which are pretty much made up of songs I've never heard and all beautifully written and recorded. I never knew 'Your Song' was a B-Side (at least in the US) until yesterday which seems mad when you think about it now. I'll pick up 'Madman' when I see it as it fits that period although I'm surprised 'Tiny Dancer' never made his official 'Very Best of EJ' retrospective album he did in his bejeweled 'Sacrifice' hat wearing days.

Might do 'Friends' too if I come across it, 'Empty Sky' seems lesser spotted in the wild in my experience. Anyway I need a collecting tick for 2017 so early 70's SS albums might be it excluding Gilbert and Billy Joel (had an ill advised musical flirtation with Mr Joel as a teen).

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    Well done for giving EJ some love on this board.
    Pitch started that nonsense years ago. We used to ban people in those days, but somehow he was allowed to get away with it.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...John-no-really
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Finds from Bristol trip last weekend.

Bunch of random dancehall records at 50p a pop from Prime cuts

Some from Prime cuts and others from another spot that I forgot the name of.
    Top row Dale Lucas ‎– The Look / Cover Me (With Your Love) | Hogia'r Wyddfa ‎– Tecel | Random dancehall
    Mid row - Sandy Nelson ‎– ...And Then There Were Drums | Random 5" 78 on some toy makers label | Sandy Nelson ‎– Teen Beat
    Bottom row - Michael Stanley ‎– Rock And Roll Man | Tammy St John / 21st Century ‎– Concerning Love / Hard Act To Follow | Gary Dawson - Pour the wine
    'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Went to Preston this morning to see my step son and do the carboot which had loads of records about although most of them were crap and I had no time to do the charitees. So many cruddy records I did begin to lose the will to carry on.

They are doing it up at the moment, sprucing up the 2 Victorian market covers and are eventually going to knock down the indoor market and carpark which I think was built in the early 70's. I'll be sad to see it go as I have a thing for terrible buildings. The Victorian markets will look the bizz when they are done as they've already painted them and plan to install lighting. They'll be great for outdoor gigs and festivals etc, magnificent listed structures 2 standing side by side.

Reminds me my current town had one of similar vintage but it was knocked down in the early 70's and replaced with something not dissimilar to Preston's indoor market but without the space age look. They've wrecked our town over the years and anything that gets 'listed' mysteriously burns down. It's currently having the most pointless facelift in history.

BC will be thankful to know my EJ senses were absent on this trip but my nose for folk was strong. There was a guy knocking out copies of 'Sing it Again Rod' for ten quid among other heavily priced MOJO rawk but I stuck with the guy who had lots of records and said if I can find 20 it would be a tenner. I failed. He did have a box of slightly more expensive items which this first LP is from but still all in all only 8 quid spent on everything. :

Dave and Toni Arthur - The Lark in the Morning
    My eyes were all over this as it was unpriced and I did think of trying to slip it through on his 20 for 10 deal but I'm too honest and he was too nice. :

2nd Vision - First Steps Never come across this before, comes with the insert and turns out it's noodly jazz rock which may or may not rock my boat. Don't know why the later Soft Machine connection didn't click. I'm predicting like 'Isotope', 'National Health' this will be stupidly complex noodling but ultimately unsatisfying. Will update my thoughts. The little insert is a barrell of laughs, not.

Peter Gallway - Peter Gallway Folk Rock on Reprise. Been giving this a listen it's more southern singer songwriter fare and quite nice all told. It sort of floats between dobro bashing upbeatness to more fluid folk with hints of New Orleans here and there. Great copy so I'm quite pleased with this as it's one I'll go back to a few times.

Seweryn Krajewski ‎– Romantic Reflections Suite For Guitar And Strings Coloursound Library LP from 1987. Not expecting much but it's a library LP so you never know despite the title.

Chorale - Chorale I uhmmd and ahhhd about this but it was mint and the cover and titles such as 'Child of Space' intrigued me. This is a bit like 'The King Singers' crossed with 'War of the Worlds' but I'm yet to give it a full listen. One of those 'Who thought it was a money-spinner to sign these' sort of thing, maybe a 'Sky' influence at least in concept.

Wild Thyme ‎– Plays Fallibroome English Country Dances Just screamed buy me despite it's eighties vintage.

Manchild - Feel the Phuff I have their first and quite like it and this had a great title.

Oh almost forgot I grabbed 'Arthur Lyman - Hawaiian Sunset' which I thought I had and turns out I do but thought I'd be kicking myself if I don't as it looks Mint. If I hadn't pulled Playaway's own Toni Arthur from his pricier box first I reckon I would have come away with a lot of Yacht Rock and bad SSW stuff so may or may not have had a lucky escape.
    Last edited by amidar; 14-03-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: More thoughts.

2nd Vision - First Steps Never come across this before, comes with the insert and turns out it's noodly jazz rock which may or may not rock my boat.

Every time I see 2nd Vision's LP, just for a moment I think its this:

I wonder if the similarity was accidental?
    (Simon Finn artwork by David Toop, of course)
    Last edited by Milesago; 09-03-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: artwork factoid added

I saw on the rear the cover art is 'courtesy of start-rite shoes ltd' so after reading your post I did a little digging and found this. Would seem it's a famous image in one form or another but before my time. :

I saw on the rear the cover art is 'courtesy of start-rite shoes ltd' so after reading your post I did a little digging and found this. Would seem it's a famous image in one form or another but before my time. :

That makes sense. According to Simon Finn's website (which I just found), Pass The Distance was withdrawn due to legal action over the cover artwork, making an already obscure, small press LP even more difficult to find.

They still make shoes it seems, well they come up on google shopping! 2nd Vision credit them but I wonder if they paid them, suppose they must have being on a major. I prefer the David Toop interpretation a bit more abstract but you only have to look at the kids clothes to see it's definitely been taken from that Ad!

Not in Norwich anymore. Unfortunately.
    Jazz ain't dead!

thought it looked familiar, it's on this book cover as well:

Funny how an image becomes iconic although I have to admit it were all about 'Clarks' when I was a kid. Sticking my foot in one of those bizarre measuring machines (do they still have those?) And coming out with some indestructible sandles on. Sad they aren't in Norwich I expect they are made outside the UK now.

My old man said they used x-ray machines to measure his feet as a kid but says they were banned.

I briefly delved into a couple of Gilbert O'Sullivan's albums not so long ago, nothing there.
    Except a load of brilliant songs
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

My old man said they used x-ray machines to measure his feet as a kid but says they were banned.
    I have vague memories of having to put my feet in a machine that showed how much "wiggle room" there was for your tootsies. Seemed all hi-tech and space age at the time ...
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

I remember a machine you put your foot into and metal plates came from the sides and front and stopped at your feet. It's one of those memories I've often thought I must have dreamed up but I believe they were a 'thing' in 'Clarks' shops. I wonder if one ever went wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    I have vague memories of having to put my feet in a machine that showed how much "wiggle room" there was for your tootsies. Seemed all hi-tech and space age at the time ...

SSW Wars! I'm gonna pitch it to Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Except a load of brilliant songs

SSW Wars! I'm gonna pitch it to Dave!
    If Elton thinks he can take on Gilbert's hair he'd better think again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    If Elton thinks he can take on Gilbert's hair he'd better think again.
    Perhaps that's where Elton's hair went.

Gilbert may have written some good songs but the whole thing too often came across like weak tea to my mind.

Gilbert may have written some good songs but the whole thing too often came across like weak tea to my mind.
    That analogy may just work. I will only drink loose China tea- Keemun for preference. I prefer the term delicate but others may say it's weak. Mrs SK on the other hand, who likes early Elton, tends to have English Breakfast. She has it in bags and leaves the bag in the cup until she's finished so it gets more and more stewed.

They did indeed and Harry Palmer knew what to do with them...

From 4:35 onwards...

I remember a machine you put your foot into and metal plates came from the sides and front and stopped at your feet. It's one of those memories I've often thought I must have dreamed up but I believe they were a 'thing' in 'Clarks' shops. I wonder if one ever went wrong!
    These definitely existed, I had my feet measured by them in Clarks in Durham in the 80s. :-)

not in the best condition (poly bag related) but still great to pick up

Nice!! It was only recently I found out that Hungry Wolf LP was mostly made up of tracks from the KPM 'Music For A Young Generation' - good to see all the musicians credited too.

I don't pull a lot of easy, but this one seemed interesting as I haven't seen one like it. There are loads of Swedish easy records, covering the hits as usual, but this one has the focus on three of the most popular Swedish 60's bands, Tages, Shanes and Hep Stars with four songs by each band. Sometimes a bit too big-bandy but there is some Hammond action as well. No Fuzzy Patterns though...

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I knew they did but if I've ever brought it up over the years people look at me like I'm mad. I suppose it comes down to whether or not your parents insisted on buying you Clark's horrible (at the time, at least to my perception.) Indestructible shoes!

Love that 'Harry Palmer' I can now chalk that down as one of my Dad's true stories and not one of his wind ups. X-Raying people's feet what the flip were they thinking? Although I guess it comes from the time they thought smoking was healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    These definitely existed, I had my feet measured by them in Clarks in Durham in the 80s. :-)