Thread: March finds

Hybrid View

Default March finds

In reality February related, but March is here anyway, so let's get a new thread going

Spent a weekend house/dogsitting at my wife's sister's house in the hinterlands of south Sweden. I had the idea to do a CSC, but it failed on account of:
    - lack of charity shops. Most are for the sole charity of the proprietor.
    - lack of fry-up food. My wife's sister is petite and barely eats anything but yoghurt and musli so we arrived to an almost empty fridge.
    - me being to eager to dig to actually take photos of shops interiors or exteriors
    I'll try to do a proper CSC later in the spring/summer.

So, no lavish breakfast, just coffee and some bread with cheese.

First stop was the outlet shop of a Tradera dealer in Billesholm. He puts a lot of items up with low starting price (1£) and compensates with having a ridiculously high shipping rate (3£ for a 45 which generally is 1.20£ in stamps.)
    This means a lot of the cheaper items never sell, and they end up in his outlet shop, or actually the back room of a workshop open on Sundays. 45s are 45p and LP are £1.80 so there are nice finds to be made, no super bargains as they would be picked up on Tradera.
    I bought 12 45s, so you do the math, here are a few of the better ones:

Lollipops - Sussy Moore is a curious Danish rip-off. The title hints at Tim Hardin, then you find the Lundgreen brothers simply lifted the verse from Lady Came From Baltimore, have a listen...
    Jools-Auger-Trinity on Marmalade can't be passed up
    Chris Hodge - We're on our way/Supersoul Pretty sure I saw he had this for auction and thinking about putting in a start bid, but didn't bother on account of his shipping rate
    Soft Cell - Down in the subway
    Creatures - Right now

Next stop was Åstorps Varuförmedling. Not a charity, just a junk accumulation from estates and similar manned by a strange and not that friendly man. The place was smelly and just a mess. Best part was the records room was just inside the door meaning I didn't have to go further into this place. I looked at some promising records that were simply trashed, but in the end I just came up with a single 45, not in the best condition as it was in a pile of sleeveless records.
    But that's proper digging for you. Records were 90p, regardless of 7"/LP.

Troublemakers - A Layabout's lament/Sally. Great band from my hometown Malmö, and you rarely see their records. With a picture sleeve and in better condition this would be a big ticket item, still chuffed to get it in playable condition after wash. A-side is a bit silly wrong-end-of-Kinks-music-hall, you know what I mean, but it has a strange fuzz/chaos break in the middle that just sounds out of place. B-side Sally is the winner here...

After checking out what should have been a proper charity in Åstorp, but which did not exist anymore we pressed on to Kvidinge. Proper countryside charity here, supporting the local football club Kvidinge IF, in a barn by the church, noone but us under the age of 70. Just a single box of LPs here. I picked up two old jazz records as they looked to be in OK condition but they actually played worse than they looked. I suspect they will return to a charity crate.

Now, just a short drive back to Klippan where my wife's sister lives. I had managed to scout a charity shop I hadn't been to on previous visits, Klippans Stadsmission. I had low expectations, as Klippan has a musical heritage, with a lot of bands active in the late 70s/80s, like Kriminella Gitarrer. I was positve the place would be digged to pieces. But I was pleasantly surprised after a while, records were 15 kr (£1.35).

A minty Bo Hansson - Ur Trollkarlens Hatt! This is my favorite of his records. I already have a copy, but this is an upgrade.
    The Nits - Urk. Triple live, with a band I've probably heard three songs by before? I've given it a listen but it fails to excite me, so it will probably go to the outpile.
    Muddy Waters - After the rain. I tend to be bored by blues records, but this one was actually pretty good, and not all about 12 bars.
    Impressions - Preacher man. No Curtis, but he produced and there are some good grooves here
    Joni Mitchell - Hissing of summer lawns
    The Band - Masters of rock, decent comp I picked up for a friend who's building a small but good collection

After this feast, we returned to the dogs and consumed the seasonal Swedish bake, the Semla with coffee. Proper fika!
    It's a sweet bun, with a marcipan filling, some cream and powder sugar on top. Supposedly only eaten on the Tuesday before Lent starts, but they start selling them after Xmas now.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

And I forgot to put 2017 in the header. I don't know if any mod could fix that?

Don't think it matters mate. Just realised I put today's finds in February. I dont even know what month it is nevermind the year!

Anyway deleted and moved here.

Some Cocaine fuelled Joni. :

Duke Ellington and Teresa Brewer from 1973 seemed it may be interesting given the year and she lists Grateful Dead, The Band and Kris Kristofferson as her contemporary faves of the time in the liner notes. Obviously she's been retired a few years before coming back and doing this. :

Buddy Rich motherlode and more of his funkier output, seemed 'headway' had a huge Jazz collection that had come in and I sort of wish I'd have popped in the other day but it's one I usually miss out as they never update their stock. Everytime I see those 'Creative World of Stan Kenton' comps I flick through them slowly hoping for 'City of Glass' or other madness but no such luck, the collection was mostly pre-war reissues. There was a huge minty classical collection too but nothing of any age and pretty generic. :

I'd have left some of the Buddy well I did leave 2 live ones to be fair but it was all minty and I've never heard his version of 'Heaven on their Minds'. EDIT: Far from my favorite version no wonder he used to bollock them. Hey the added bonus though is 'A Different Drummer' is on 'Dynaflex' its 'thinner than any vinyl I've ever held', 'wont warp', 'no crackle' and 'will last longer than any record I've ever owned'. Can you believe people used to fall for this nonsense, I'm surprised they didn't butter it with marmite and jam and try and play it. I'd forgotten how floppy it was, almost like rubber and worse than 90's vinyl, Dynaflex vinyl that is. That particular record has a dynamite break which I'm sure has been used to death.

"Now Get off my Fucking Bus..." "Do that Shit to me on the Bandstand" etc, prime angry Buddy years.
    Last edited by amidar; 04-03-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Don't know what I'm thinking with half of these but I was dropping a glut of records off to the market and picked a few freebies from his pound boxes on the way out.

I like a man who can hold his own under the auspices of some horse brass. This is another 'Folk Heritage' release but more pure C+W not the worst but not my cup of cha. It's from 1978 and they had another of his from 82 or 84 which I gave a swerve despite it being signed. :

About the only Elton LP I have time for and a half decent copy of the textured, raised, envelope, gatefold thingy version.

The signs don't look promising with this. :

And now I have the second album from proto Daft Punk disconauts 'Mandre' weirdly called 'Two'. :

I thought my Mandre collection was complete but seems they did 2 more including this awesome slab of synthy disco. :

Last edited by amidar; 04-03-2017 at 09:19 PM.

This week's charity shop offerings. After many barren months in chazza world things have been looking up recently. Spring in the air?

The Indo Jazzmen - Ragas and Reflections Couldn't leave this but I was doubtful it would play OK. After a good clean it plays better than I expected, some fireside crackle but the scratches proved benign. Happy at 99p.

These were not at typical chazza prices so I left these at first. Didn't know Lush (This era of indie/shoegaze completely passed me by a the time, this was '94). Have never owned a Fall record but have wanted to correct this recently. Wondered if this one was a bit late. Checked them out on the 'puter and liked what little I heard so went back and they were still there (although I think there was more than one Lush record, but only this one left when I went back).
    As I said more than I would normally pay at a chazza but still good value and both in fantastic shape.

Lush - Hypocrite/Love At First Sight/Cat's Chorus/Undertow 12" I'll be honest by the time I got home after first leaving them I was a bit hazy on which Lush records I had seen. I thought what turned out to be this 12" might possibly have been the Split album. That turned out to be wishful thinking though.
    The Fall - The Wonderful and Frightening World of... Original issue

Photo manipulation and Photobucket is doing my head in.
    I seem to be getting further and further away from a simple snap and upload.

So, I take the picture on my tablet now as it generally takes better pictures than my ageing digi camera (except those above where the light was very poor).
    This next bit is all unnecessary I'm sure but bear with me:
    Copy it to Google drive. On my laptop download it from Google drive to crop the picture and rotate and save because the picture I take on my tablet seem to randomly rotate.
    Upload to Bl**dy Photobucket (after I fianlly manage to sign in).
    refresh, look at my recent uploads, refresh, look at my recent uploads.... until I finally see the newly uploaded pictures.
    The picture has rotated again. Rotate it in Photobucket, save (I think).
    Reference it here and the bl**dy picture has rotated again

I'm with you on American Gothic, GC. The grandness is impressive but I'm not sure how much I can listen to it. I think Micky Newbury needs to be mentioned as well.

WF - Great finds, your charity shop is a bleeding goldmine! Hip hop finds are great - London Posse LP is a classic, give it another listen.

I also agree about Kate Bush (but not Bowie), but good find on the Red Shoes LP, v rare on the ol' vinyl (if OG).

FFS (No, I don't like Roxy Music)
    Madness. Listen to Bogus Man for some UK Krautrock. Groundhogs Split is a fun record as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    Madness. Listen to Bogus Man for some UK Krautrock. Groundhogs Split is a fun record as well.
    Seconded!
    OK, we can't all like everything but Beauty Queen (on Stranded) is the quintessential 70s Roxy Music track, i cant think the number of times i played that album. Editions Of You is fabulous too. And Ashes Are Burning is a good place to start with Renaissance. OK I'll shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    Seconded!
    OK, we can't all like everything but Beauty Queen (on Stranded) is the quintessential 70s Roxy Music track, i cant think the number of times i played that album. Editions Of You is fabulous too. And Ashes Are Burning is a good place to start with Renaissance. OK I'll shut up now.
    Please don't! I've not had a chance to listen to most of the above so this kind of direction is genuinely appreciated.

Thanks all for your suggestions. any more gratefully received.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post

I concur. Forget all that Ferry tuxedo rubbish, this lp has some nice tracks. Every Dream a Heartache too.

Just pulled this out of a pound box, been looking for it for 20+ years. Warped, scratched to hell, plays like a champ.

went to look at a job lot of 600 albums, all absolute chud, bought one single for a quid

Good finds - the flip on that James Brown is great deep soul, on the Dave Godin CDs

Played lucky dip with a box of reggae 12"s and did okay. Acld dub from Birmingham 1980. Some very similar sound effects were used a year later on The Specials 'Ghost Town' John Collins production on both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMxI3usc8BA

record licker

Woah, I just checked this detonators track, killer!

Also can anyone give me some tips on how to resize pics? how do people go about uploading and embedding them on here?

if you use imgur it'll give you various sizes of your uploaded images to use.

Went to Edinburgh for a day with mrs Jay. Lovely place...

Picked this up from a little market. Very enjoyable space themed easy listening larks

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Went to Edinburgh for a day with mrs Jay. Lovely place...

Picked this up from a little market. Very enjoyable space themed easy listening larks

Nice find if an original, been booted a couple of times though. Used to have lots of fans on the Exotica mailing list in the 90s.

Any method of knowing if it's a bootleg mate

don't think the boots even pretended to have the same label. Original Stereo label scan up on Discogs https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Comsto...release/583884

should be easy to tell a 1960 US record from a 90s or later boot though? Card type, paper type, print quality, pasted cover, grooves in label, smell (!)

On a train to London. But that's the label for sure...

Monday basement bargains: Swedish proto electro from 83, moog banger and rare Danish soul jazz folk arranged by Sahib Shihab. Not bad.

Street Life - Act on instinct 12"
    Mark Evans - Rock And Moog party, Welthits
    Nat Russell - that's nat

Sorry no pics or soundclips