• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cratedigger
    Electric Prunes
    • Jul 2014

March finds

In reality February related, but March is here anyway, so let's get a new thread going

Spent a weekend house/dogsitting at my wife's sister's house in the hinterlands of south Sweden. I had the idea to do a CSC, but it failed on account of:
    - lack of charity shops. Most are for the sole charity of the proprietor.
    - lack of fry-up food. My wife's sister is petite and barely eats anything but yoghurt and musli so we arrived to an almost empty fridge.
    - me being to eager to dig to actually take photos of shops interiors or exteriors
    I'll try to do a proper CSC later in the spring/summer.

So, no lavish breakfast, just coffee and some bread with cheese.

First stop was the outlet shop of a Tradera dealer in Billesholm. He puts a lot of items up with low starting price (1£) and compensates with having a ridiculously high shipping rate (3£ for a 45 which generally is 1.20£ in stamps.)
    This means a lot of the cheaper items never sell, and they end up in his outlet shop, or actually the back room of a workshop open on Sundays. 45s are 45p and LP are £1.80 so there are nice finds to be made, no super bargains as they would be picked up on Tradera.
    I bought 12 45s, so you do the math, here are a few of the better ones:

Lollipops - Sussy Moore is a curious Danish rip-off. The title hints at Tim Hardin, then you find the Lundgreen brothers simply lifted the verse from Lady Came From Baltimore, have a listen...
    Jools-Auger-Trinity on Marmalade can't be passed up
    Chris Hodge - We're on our way/Supersoul Pretty sure I saw he had this for auction and thinking about putting in a start bid, but didn't bother on account of his shipping rate
    Soft Cell - Down in the subway
    Creatures - Right now

Next stop was Åstorps Varuförmedling. Not a charity, just a junk accumulation from estates and similar manned by a strange and not that friendly man. The place was smelly and just a mess. Best part was the records room was just inside the door meaning I didn't have to go further into this place. I looked at some promising records that were simply trashed, but in the end I just came up with a single 45, not in the best condition as it was in a pile of sleeveless records.
    But that's proper digging for you. Records were 90p, regardless of 7"/LP.

Troublemakers - A Layabout's lament/Sally. Great band from my hometown Malmö, and you rarely see their records. With a picture sleeve and in better condition this would be a big ticket item, still chuffed to get it in playable condition after wash. A-side is a bit silly wrong-end-of-Kinks-music-hall, you know what I mean, but it has a strange fuzz/chaos break in the middle that just sounds out of place. B-side Sally is the winner here...

After checking out what should have been a proper charity in Åstorp, but which did not exist anymore we pressed on to Kvidinge. Proper countryside charity here, supporting the local football club Kvidinge IF, in a barn by the church, noone but us under the age of 70. Just a single box of LPs here. I picked up two old jazz records as they looked to be in OK condition but they actually played worse than they looked. I suspect they will return to a charity crate.

Now, just a short drive back to Klippan where my wife's sister lives. I had managed to scout a charity shop I hadn't been to on previous visits, Klippans Stadsmission. I had low expectations, as Klippan has a musical heritage, with a lot of bands active in the late 70s/80s, like Kriminella Gitarrer. I was positve the place would be digged to pieces. But I was pleasantly surprised after a while, records were 15 kr (£1.35).

A minty Bo Hansson - Ur Trollkarlens Hatt! This is my favorite of his records. I already have a copy, but this is an upgrade.
    The Nits - Urk. Triple live, with a band I've probably heard three songs by before? I've given it a listen but it fails to excite me, so it will probably go to the outpile.
    Muddy Waters - After the rain. I tend to be bored by blues records, but this one was actually pretty good, and not all about 12 bars.
    Impressions - Preacher man. No Curtis, but he produced and there are some good grooves here
    Joni Mitchell - Hissing of summer lawns
    The Band - Masters of rock, decent comp I picked up for a friend who's building a small but good collection

After this feast, we returned to the dogs and consumed the seasonal Swedish bake, the Semla with coffee. Proper fika!
    It's a sweet bun, with a marcipan filling, some cream and powder sugar on top. Supposedly only eaten on the Tuesday before Lent starts, but they start selling them after Xmas now.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"
  • cratedigger
    Electric Prunes
    • Jul 2014

And I forgot to put 2017 in the header. I don't know if any mod could fix that?
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• amidar
      Lonely Jelly
      • Jun 2014

Don't think it matters mate. Just realised I put today's finds in February. I dont even know what month it is nevermind the year!

Anyway deleted and moved here.

Some Cocaine fuelled Joni. :

Duke Ellington and Teresa Brewer from 1973 seemed it may be interesting given the year and she lists Grateful Dead, The Band and Kris Kristofferson as her contemporary faves of the time in the liner notes. Obviously she's been retired a few years before coming back and doing this. :

Buddy Rich motherlode and more of his funkier output, seemed 'headway' had a huge Jazz collection that had come in and I sort of wish I'd have popped in the other day but it's one I usually miss out as they never update their stock. Everytime I see those 'Creative World of Stan Kenton' comps I flick through them slowly hoping for 'City of Glass' or other madness but no such luck, the collection was mostly pre-war reissues. There was a huge minty classical collection too but nothing of any age and pretty generic. :

I'd have left some of the Buddy well I did leave 2 live ones to be fair but it was all minty and I've never heard his version of 'Heaven on their Minds'. EDIT: Far from my favorite version no wonder he used to bollock them. Hey the added bonus though is 'A Different Drummer' is on 'Dynaflex' its 'thinner than any vinyl I've ever held', 'wont warp', 'no crackle' and 'will last longer than any record I've ever owned'. Can you believe people used to fall for this nonsense, I'm surprised they didn't butter it with marmite and jam and try and play it. I'd forgotten how floppy it was, almost like rubber and worse than 90's vinyl, Dynaflex vinyl that is. That particular record has a dynamite break which I'm sure has been used to death.

"Now Get off my Fucking Bus..." "Do that Shit to me on the Bandstand" etc, prime angry Buddy years.
      Last edited by amidar; 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM.
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• amidar
        Lonely Jelly
        • Jun 2014

Don't know what I'm thinking with half of these but I was dropping a glut of records off to the market and picked a few freebies from his pound boxes on the way out.

I like a man who can hold his own under the auspices of some horse brass. This is another 'Folk Heritage' release but more pure C+W not the worst but not my cup of cha. It's from 1978 and they had another of his from 82 or 84 which I gave a swerve despite it being signed. :

About the only Elton LP I have time for and a half decent copy of the textured, raised, envelope, gatefold thingy version.

The signs don't look promising with this. :

And now I have the second album from proto Daft Punk disconauts 'Mandre' weirdly called 'Two'. :

I thought my Mandre collection was complete but seems they did 2 more including this awesome slab of synthy disco. :

Last edited by amidar; 04-03-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• candiman
          Electric Prunes
          • Nov 2012

This week's charity shop offerings. After many barren months in chazza world things have been looking up recently. Spring in the air?

The Indo Jazzmen - Ragas and Reflections Couldn't leave this but I was doubtful it would play OK. After a good clean it plays better than I expected, some fireside crackle but the scratches proved benign. Happy at 99p.

These were not at typical chazza prices so I left these at first. Didn't know Lush (This era of indie/shoegaze completely passed me by a the time, this was '94). Have never owned a Fall record but have wanted to correct this recently. Wondered if this one was a bit late. Checked them out on the 'puter and liked what little I heard so went back and they were still there (although I think there was more than one Lush record, but only this one left when I went back).
          As I said more than I would normally pay at a chazza but still good value and both in fantastic shape.

Lush - Hypocrite/Love At First Sight/Cat's Chorus/Undertow 12" I'll be honest by the time I got home after first leaving them I was a bit hazy on which Lush records I had seen. I thought what turned out to be this 12" might possibly have been the Split album. That turned out to be wishful thinking though.
          The Fall - The Wonderful and Frightening World of... Original issue

Comment

• candiman
            Electric Prunes
            • Nov 2012

Photo manipulation and Photobucket is doing my head in.
            I seem to be getting further and further away from a simple snap and upload.

So, I take the picture on my tablet now as it generally takes better pictures than my ageing digi camera (except those above where the light was very poor).
            This next bit is all unnecessary I'm sure but bear with me:
            Copy it to Google drive. On my laptop download it from Google drive to crop the picture and rotate and save because the picture I take on my tablet seem to randomly rotate.
            Upload to Bl**dy Photobucket (after I fianlly manage to sign in).
            refresh, look at my recent uploads, refresh, look at my recent uploads.... until I finally see the newly uploaded pictures.
            The picture has rotated again. Rotate it in Photobucket, save (I think).
            Reference it here and the bl**dy picture has rotated again

Comment

• amidar
              Lonely Jelly
              • Jun 2014

Great 'Fall' record to start with Candiman, my Fall period falls between 'Frenz Experiment' through to 'Code Selfish' and the one after that I forget the name of that has a cover of 'Lost in Music' on. I conceed it's not their most lauded period but close to my heart. My view on 'The Fall' is they make me laugh, when Mark sings 'feeling jolly, from Stoke' I know exactly what he means.

'Infotainment Scam' had to look it up. Sister Sledge and The Fall a match made in heaven. :

Comment

• giantchicken
                Ugly Custard
                • Sep 2009

Not the monster 45 post I threatened (postponed for being too flipping huge a task) so here's the weekend finds instead, all bar the obvious from charity shops.

NON-FOOD...

Hitachi CX65 CD/Radio/Cassette Player - It may mean nothing to you, but quality listening in the bath is important to me and since my last boombox failed I've realised that these things are an endangered species so I was happy to find this for 20 notes. It lacks any oomph at all but has an interesting '3D' effect which if you choose the right music and factor in the bathroom reverberation factor makes for a sonically pleasing bathtime listen - some things just sound better in the bath...

Jazz mags....loads of 'em.. - I meant to post these weeks ago but forgot...12 issues of 'Jazz Journal' (1975 - 1977) and it's exciting transformation into 'Jazz Journal International' (with some colour bits!) 13 copies (1977-1981) and as a bonus the August '89 number of 'Jersey Jazz' the journal of the New Jersey Jazz Society. Don't have a clue why I bought them or what to do with them...your suggestions please...

FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD...

King Champion Sounds - 'Fool Throttle'/'Debby One Day'
                - Was dragged out of hibernation last night to see King Champion Sounds at The Fallow Cafe - first gig I've been to in awhile and I very much enjoyed it. They're a tight little outfit with a nutso horn section and motorik bass player that inhabit a space somewhere between The Fall, Can and Charlie Parker and they have a great front man in G W Sok, mainstay of The Ex for their first 30 years. It was great to get an extended chat with him after the show, a really cool fella. Not entirely representative of the live experience maybe, but both sides of the 45 are great, listen/grab one from here...

[IMG][/IMG]

Walter Carlos - 'Switched On Bach'- revisited the site of some recent finds (including a brace of Carlos') to see if any more of the collection had filtered out. Grabbed it's ankles and gave it a good shake but it coughed up this alone.

The Outrageous Dr Teleny's Incredible Plugged In Orchestra - 'Stolen Goods: Gems Lifted From The Masters' - Saturday's first find continued the synthi-classical theme. The work of Howard and Blaikely, the evil svengalis of Dave Dee, Dozy , Beaky, Mick & Tich. I'm not holding out any great hope...

Manfred Mann - 'Mannerisms' - An unremarkable compilation of Mike Hugg era Manfreds (my favourite) that might allow me to free some 45s...should play fine now I've removed what appeared to be glitter from the grooves...

'Mac & Katie Kissoon'
                - Nasty (chirpy chirpy) cheap cheap Hallmark compilation - it's not particularly clever to know that there was more to M&K than 'Sugar Candy Kisses' and Mac's version of 'Get Down With It/Satisfaction' that opens this has got me out of many a DJing hole. Even so I was surprised at the quality of some of the gems on here for a cheapo chazza punt, a great cover of 'It's All Over Now', a reggae take of 'The Games People Play' and even a fuzz filled version of the Equals' 'Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys'...bag on sight, I say...

and finally....

David Ackles - 'American Gothic' - seem to remember that this album had something of a cult following even back in the mid 70s, but I never got around to hearing it, so when this very unspoiled copy turned up in an Oxfam for a not unreasonable I was in. I've only listened the once and I'm not sure I like it, yet I know I'll be listening to it again somehow. In theory. I should like it, it's one of those grand monuments of Americana, like Van Dyke Parks' 'Song Cycle' without the acid haze, like Neil Diamond's more grandiose statements without the schmalz, and overlapping into the realms of Kurt Weill, Randy Newman, David Axelrod, Jacques Brel and Jimmy Webb.

Oddly enough it was recorded in England, and 'produced' by Bernie Taupin of all people, but the sleeve or liner give no clues as to the musicians or singers. Maybe the music is the weak point to some extent, it's big and sweeping but grounded in vanilla chords, referencing as it does a number of American musical conventions, but where it does get more adventurous on 'Midnight Carousel' or the closer 'Montana Song', it's really quite moving. It's Ackles' lyrics that carry the album, and you're gripped by his tales from American history. All in all, something like a William Faulkner novel, a bit oddball but curiously gripping and although you won't read it more than a few times in your life, you'll keep it on the shelf. Needs to be eaten whole, so no vids as they just wouldn't work out of context.

Back soon...
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

• Willy-Fogg
                  Electric Prunes
                  • Dec 2004

I've found some good stuff, some crap stuff and some interesting stuff over the last few weeks.

These were all from my local to work charity shops. Kate Bush for a friend because I don't like her. The Chico's surprisingly good. Belly Dancing is meh. Alan Parker's terrible and Sam and Dave's brilliant, and what a cover!

------------------

These were from my closest to home charity shop. They've been getting some incredible stuff in and the manager's definitely been looking after me. Legalize It is my favourite from this bunch though Kraftwerk is right up there.

---------------------------

Last weekend's car boots. Haven't listened to Blade yet; Coley Silverspoon is best avoided; Dillinger's a spare. The rest probably well know. I must've played Fool Yourself off of the Little Feat LP about 20 times since purchase. (Make that 21 as I've had to get it going on YouTube in another tab!)

------------------------

Back to my local charity shop again with these next four pics. Cream's for a mate. Disconnections is a fun disco (mainly) double LP comp. Les McCann - I could do with Less McCann. I really don't like his singing. A bit of Axelrod in a charity shop? Thanks! The Doo Doo Wap is so strong on the Curtis LP. And the Gene Page is like a Barry White LP I never knew about. A keeper.

---------------------

The shop had had a hip-hop motherlode donation and I got first dibs One of these LLs (I think Mr Smith) has some great stuff on it if you like golden era hip-hop as I do. London Posse's a spare and isn't one that's one me over. Nothing on it comes close to Pass me the Rizla for me. Haven't listened to the Kool G Rap yet. The old(er) school LPs (Shan, Schoolly and Just Ice) didn't do much for me.

--------------------

Oh yes! I've only listened to about half of these as I've been saving them. The last three tunes on the Marley Marl are as good as it gets for me - Ain't no Halfsteppin, a Masta Ace one (with the Grand Funk sample I think - too tired to look it up), and Chief Rocka by LOTUG. Group Home and Brand Nubian are classics.

----------------------

Top left will go straight to Discogs. Top right's a good little cheapo comp with Funky Sensation on it. Pete Rock and Cl Smooth instrumentals double is Main Ingredient and it's actually an enjoyable listen even without the lyrics. Proof positive that the Chocolate Boy Wonder really is a master. U Roy good Bob Marley bad (in this instance).

------------------------

House call. Haven't listened to any yet so any tips or suggestions welcomed. To warn - a suggestion of taking some of this stuff to the tip would be appropriate.

---------------

Chaff

--------------------

Wheatier

---------------------

Chaff

--------------------

Hmmmm

-------------------

Urgghh

----------------------

Never knowingly heard this lot. Hopes not high.

----------------------------

Mojo

FFS (No, I don't like Roxy Music)

*whistles to the sky*

-------------------------------

Sorry Kate lovers - she's right up there with Mr Bowie when it comes to overrated. (Belated apology to Bowie fans too).

-----------------------------------

Need to do some serial number checking here...

--------------------------

I know that Focus. Not very good

-----------------------

I'll give 'em a listen.

Couldn't say whether I've listened to Hawkwind before. I won't bother with the other two.

------------------------------

I know nothing.

-------------------------

Back to the chazzas. Haven't listened to this yet. Sorry. Out Hud - Street Dad. Anyone?

Another charity shop purchase and I have listened to this one. I quite liked it. Whale music with beats, would be my four word review.

----------------------

From the charity shop yesterday. Have their moments.

It's 1am on a Monday morning now. To bed.

WF

PS. Must do freebies thread soon. I'm bursting at the seams over here.

Comment

• relkeel
                    Ugly Custard
                    • Jun 2007

I'ts Dooley Silverspoon rather than Coley, though that isn't entirely clear with the camouflaged 'D' on the jacket. Most remembered on these shores for 'Game Players' which was huge in the mid seventies and the pick of his plethora of Seville 45's.
                    record licker

Comment

• george
                      Animated Egg
                      • Jan 2014

Great description of the Ackles GC, Its got a permanent place on my shelf.
                      Think my copy has an insert that may give info on the lineup etc. Will check when im back in the country.

G

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post

Oddly enough it was recorded in England, and 'produced' by Bernie Taupin of all people, but the sleeve or liner give no clues as to the musicians or singers. Maybe the music is the weak point to some extent, it's big and sweeping but grounded in vanilla chords, referencing as it does a number of American musical conventions, but where it does get more adventurous on 'Midnight Carousel' or the closer 'Montana Song', it's really quite moving. It's Ackles' lyrics that carry the album, and you're gripped by his tales from American history. All in all, something like a William Faulkner novel, a bit oddball but curiously gripping and although you won't read it more than a few times in your life, you'll keep it on the shelf. Needs to be eaten whole, so no vids as they just wouldn't work out of context.

Back soon...
                      Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                      stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

• Turboellis
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Nov 2015

Music by Christian Gaubert Et Son Orchestre. More interesting than the music or Catherine Deneuve are the photos of young Japanese women modelling the wigs that this was produced to promote.

Turbo
                        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• cratedigger
                          Electric Prunes
                          • Jul 2014

I'm with you on American Gothic, GC. The grandness is impressive but I'm not sure how much I can listen to it. I think Micky Newbury needs to be mentioned as well.

Comment

• bennyboy
                            Electric Prunes
                            • Jun 2007

WF - Great finds, your charity shop is a bleeding goldmine! Hip hop finds are great - London Posse LP is a classic, give it another listen.

I also agree about Kate Bush (but not Bowie), but good find on the Red Shoes LP, v rare on the ol' vinyl (if OG).

Comment

• Cacapo
                              Lonely Jelly
                              • Mar 2006

FFS (No, I don't like Roxy Music)
                              Madness. Listen to Bogus Man for some UK Krautrock. Groundhogs Split is a fun record as well.
                              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Working...
                              X