X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MPFlapp
    Lonely Jelly
    • Jun 2007

The 45s: Bagged 35 this time. Most I’ve bought at the fair or the day before ;-)

Records weight towards EMI Pakistan and the “The Sound of Wonder”

A flavour above – the rest of them are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/mpflapp/with/33822958962/
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• treeboy
      Lonely Jelly
      • Aug 2012

Great pics guys, even if my neck is cricked now!
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• LDJB
        Chocolate Rain
        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
        Found lots of goodies and crossed off some wants. On my IPhone only though so no chance to post photos. All on Instagram if anyone is interested.
        Photobucket app Mark?
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Campag Record
          Lonely Jelly
          • Jun 2004

Nice to see the Utrecht pron and read the stories. Thanks chaps.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Aggie
            Electric Prunes
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mescal View Post
            Also, I almost got ripped off.

Saw a 1st press Led Zeppelin turquoise sleeve on saturday at a reasonable price (I'm a sucker for classic albums, like listen to all the rock you want, in the end, Led Zeppelin (or Black Sabbath for that matter) did it better). Condition was pretty good. Not mint, but Vg+.

Went back on sunday, haggled a bit etc, and got it down to a very reasonable price. Not cheap, but not 1.000 €. I checked the sleeve again, the record again (was looking for scratches etc), saw that everything was good and purchased.

You should know that that particular dealer had two stalls in Utrecht. One with memorabilia and some records (incl. the Led Zep) and another stall with mega rarities (Vashti Bunyan, Will Malone, Elias Hulk, etc).

A little while later I checked the record again. Only now checking the small details (the superhype credit) - and came to the conclusion it was a regular early pressing in a turquoise sleeve. (so no superhype credit).

Went back to the memorabilia stand to get my money back. Guy wasn't really very surprised but said I should go to the rare record stand, since his boss was there (who has the money). Went there with the guy, but boss wasn't there. Showed the record to the guy running the rare record stall (still not the boss) who said immediately: first press should have superhype credit (so, which it hadn't).

Guy from the memorabilia stand went to look for his boss (who was having a coffee), and came back with the money.

So in all this time, I didn't see the boss directly. He didn't come to look to the record, there was no discussion whatsoever, just got the money back, and that was it.

So don't know if it was an honest mistake or a rip off.

But, the fact that they were selling rare records, they instantly knew about the superhype credits, the 'boss' didn't even bother to come to check the record to see if my claim was right, or not even thinking I might have putten a wrong record in the sleeve , ...

Anyways, glad I noticed it in time, would have been a bummer for the weekend
            Not an honest mistake imo. I'm sure the dealer knew what he was selling and instead of putting a warning sticker and lower the price accordingly opted to sell the record as such. It's great that you noticed it in time and got your money back without any fuss.
            Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• Aggie
              Electric Prunes
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mescal View Post
              Yeah, it's not really that original. Don't understand why anyone would pay 2500 € for that album.

Would need a good sleeve to flip it though. So if anyone has a sleeve lying about ...

Got a good deal on the Weed album as well. It had a few hairlines, but plays Mint really.

Funny thing with those psych/prog collector/dealers. Top prices and all, but when there's a little ding on the sleeve, or some scratches, the price plummets.

I'm used to African records ... That Ben lp would be an African Vg+.

Anyway, some crowd on saturday, but the hall was empty on sunday ... so deals were to be had.
              I like Ben a lot, it's a fine progressive album. I only have the Akarma reissue but I have seen an original copy as a mate has one (in pristine condition)!

Psych/prog/folk collectors are usually loaded so they are able to pay a lot for good copies. Also, the music is quite delicate. I think this is why this field (psych/prog/folk) is amongst the most reissued on vinyl. Too many people looking for top condition copies, too few copies available.
              Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• treeboy
                Lonely Jelly
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Aggie View Post
                I like Ben a lot, it's a fine progressive album. I only have the Akarma reissue but I have seen an original copy as a mate has one (in pristine condition)!

Psych/prog/folk collectors are usually loaded so they are able to pay a lot for good copies. Also, the music is quite delicate. I think this is why this field (psych/prog/folk) is amongst the most reissued on vinyl. Too many people looking for top condition copies, too few copies available.
                I suppose the add on to that is that if you can find a decent, licensed reissue, some of the dough goes to the people that made it in the first place. It must be very frustrating if you are one of the musicians that made an lp that sold next to nothing back in the day, and now changes hands for thousands of pounds for original copies. Kudos don't pay the rent.
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Mescal
                  Electric Prunes
                  • Dec 2007

Not an honest mistake imo. I'm sure the dealer knew what he was selling and instead of putting a warning sticker and lower the price accordingly opted to sell the record as such. It's great that you noticed it in time and got your money back without any fuss.
                  I'm glad someone comments on this story.

Don't think it was an honest mistake too.

I'm kinda appalled that a reputable seller would so knowingly and so slyly try to rip a customer off. I'm in this record thing for the love of music. If I wanted to be ripped off I'd start gambling or going to strip clubs or something.

Comment

• Mescal
                    Electric Prunes
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    I suppose the add on to that is that if you can find a decent, licensed reissue, some of the dough goes to the people that made it in the first place. It must be very frustrating if you are one of the musicians that made an lp that sold next to nothing back in the day, and now changes hands for thousands of pounds for original copies. Kudos don't pay the rent.
                    Wouldn't they see it as a compliment?

Most have been out of the music business for ages and done something else with their lives. Must be cool to know that time proved you right, and that people enjoy the music you made as a 20-something. Even if the albums gets a licensed reissue, how much money would go the musicians? 1000 £? Will hardly pay the rent

Comment

• Mescal
                      Electric Prunes
                      • Dec 2007

Do you think that psych collectors have deeper pockets than Jazz or Northern Soul collectors?

Jazz is even more delicate than Psych I'd think?

Anyway, I enjoy the Ben album. Would not pay top price for it, but sure am keeping this copy.

Comment

• Viva Chiba
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Feb 2003

Surely classical is the most delicate of genres and most vulnerable to audible defects?

I suppose this might not impact on pricing as much since classical records usually tend to be in great condition and well cared for. Perhaps less likely to be spun at raucous parties or trashed by the kids...

Comment

Working...
                        X