Thread: Creating art

Default Creating art

Anyone here make their own artwork or artwork for others? Im looking for stock images to make my own faux exploito soundtrack cover. Any good sources? Tips? Tools?

use google. cut bits out of images. you can use anything if you change it slightly. always use large images. upscaling small jpgs will make it look terrible

My dead computer had a good image search, somehow it scanned organised archives and ignored most of the chaff.

Can I remember? Nay - Sorry.

This might help a bit?.. Clicky

Thanks Paul and Xann

This is what I ended up making in GIMP

that looks nice. good work

Yes.

Old magazines? I have recently finished trawling through a pile of old Scientific American (found by the roadside) with that in mind.

Added bonus - some articles still relevant. E.g. those dealing with ancient architecture. Also fun seeing how they imagined the future would shape up. E.g. in the late 80's-early 90's the Japanese thought that there might be some problems coming with global warming. As if!
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 18-04-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: !

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Yes.

Old magazines? I have recently finished trawling through a pile of old Scientific American (found by the roadside) with that in mind.

Added bonus - some articles still relevant. E.g. those dealing with ancient architecture. Also fun seeing how they imagined the future would shape up. E.g. in the late 80's-early 90's the Japanese thought that there might be some problems coming with global warming. As if!
    So you do a cut and paste style? or do you scan stuff in and edit images in a photoshop type setup?

Yep very nice styles is there any specific way you went about it ie: some kind of LP size plug in? Excuse my ignorance I'm shite with graphic design cropping images and some very basic 'cloning' in 'irfanview' is about my lot. The program I used for doing covers for the swaps looks like it was made for a 5 year old which kind of suits my level of knowledge with all things graphical.

For some reason Funk I find it fascinating you finding a pile of old magazines at the side of a dusty desert road in Australia although I'm probably romanticising it! There must be more to tell about how this find came about?

I have picked images that will suit either approach. I have a particular image in mind that would probably benefit from a slight tweaking.

I am tempted to fabricate some sort of desert narrative, perhaps modelled on an ancient myth. The reality is that it was a soggy suburban roadside find

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Yep very nice styles is there any specific way you went about it ie: some kind of LP size plug in? Excuse my ignorance I'm shite with graphic design cropping images and some very basic 'cloning' in 'irfanview' is about my lot. The program I used for doing covers for the swaps looks like it was made for a 5 year old which kind of suits my level of knowledge with all things graphical.

For some reason Funk I find it fascinating you finding a pile of old magazines at the side of a dusty desert road in Australia although I'm probably romanticising it! There must be more to tell about how this find came about?
    I used image layering in GIMP, its a freeware program similar to photoshop. I've hardly used it and I had the idea of what I wanted in my head so I just looked up some articles and videos with links to resources and methods to achieving what I wanted. I have imported pictures into the program before and messed around but never actually made anything with it, this is the first time I have used it 'properly' so to speak. It's a lot easier than you think once you learn the basic methods and combine them.

The ringwear effect is just an image of a plain grey LP sleeve with ringwear and the guy holding the gun is an image from a Japanese 70's police show, I layered them and used an effect that allows the ring wear to kinda cut through then I filled it in with the colours.

It's a pretty sweet first attempt. I have played around with 'Gimp' (that doesn't sound right at all!) before but I was only looking at doing something simple and it boggled my head. I'll have to give it another go as it seems pretty fully featured for a freeware prog.