Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April 2017 finds

Various vinyl things found on a short trip to the chazzers of Sheffield and the boots of Northampton

I was indeed "gassed" to pick this up in a box on a Northern shop floor,
    Penthouse was first published in 1965 so this was a vinyl tease I doubt few men back then could resist!

This turned out to be a really sweet listen, all covers from the White Album in a cool plinky plonk stylee,
    I believe that's what the Jazz cats say.

nothing more than £5 a pop from a more sussed than usual car boot seller

+2 original Blind Faith LP's (phone = the missus)

cheap 7" odds & ends

this is actually an unusual Charlie Hyatt & Bam ‎comedy disc from '66 titled Rass!

4 tunes from the '59 film of the same name by the Cockney cheeky chappie

I'm still not quite sure what Errol was singing about on this early 70's demo

early 60's TV themes including the puppet version of The Goon Show

A single sold exclusively on cruise ships in the early 70's with music composed on this one
    by the same chap who did The Amazing Electronic Arp Synthesizer albums.

I have uploaded the A side as it's kinda funky & worth hearing : here

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Aren't you glad I told the car boot was on that week
    I will be forever indebted to you

Where were you again this weekend? At that special new car boot you haven't told me about.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    A single sold exclusively on cruise ships in the early 70's with music composed on this one
    by the same chap who did The Amazing Electronic Arp Synthesizer albums.

I have uploaded the A side as it's kinda funky & worth hearing : here
    Cor, this is great - not heard it before! Gordon Langford died last week, sadly.

Had a lunchtime trot around the charities and to an actual record shop! Love the UK Samantha Jones Ford promo sleeve variant. The Folky LPs will probably become record tokens.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Had a lunchtime trot around the charities and to an actual record shop! Love the UK Samantha Jones Ford promo sleeve variant. The Folky LPs will probably become record tokens.

I have that Judi Johnson 45. Quite pleasant but not in the same league as the Dusty Springfield version (as used by Saint Etienne in "Nothing Can Stop Us" - one of the greatest singles ever. FACT).
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I have that Judi Johnson 45. Quite pleasant but not in the same league as the Dusty Springfield version (as used by Saint Etienne in "Nothing Can Stop Us" - one of the greatest singles ever. FACT).
    Agreed

HG, that upload is one of the best thing I've heard on here in yonks. Many thanks.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    HG, that upload is one of the best thing I've heard on here in yonks. Many thanks.
    cheers treeboy, I'll put the flip side up soon too but not sure it's quite as good

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    It's good innit. Fuz kindly gave me his spare copy a while back and I showed it to someone recently who told me that a relative of theirs had actually worked on the ship and is featured on the 45! Now if only I could remember who it was

all 8 and a bit minutes of the flip side which isn't too shabby as it turns out

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be the theme to that Cliff Mitchelmore travel quiz from when I was smaller. Amazingly, it's better.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Have to give that a listen when I get a mo.

Here's some finds/purchases from the last couple of weeks. First up a batch of junk from the market in exchange for some other junk.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Benny Waters isn't too bad to be fair and I've not got around to the others. Is the woman saying 'Boots Randolph' is 'her favourite' or just that album, either way it aint' got the Benny Hill theme on it and I've probably enjoyed removing the masking tape and repairing the cover than I will listening to it. That Emerald Gem country record made it's way from a chazza up the road to the market within 48 hours so I'm glad I didn't buy it for a quid. Probably check out the 'Living Stereo' Gypsy record next.

Next up some Shawn Phillips albums from 'Contribution' to 'Second Contribution' to 'Bright White'. The first two were meant to be first presses but were both reissues. The seller kindly refunded me on 'Second Contribution' which I wasn't expecting to be honest. There's a lot of confusion on his A&M represses pre-74 on discogs so I'm sympathetic to sellers listing them wrongly as it's not clear on the covers. Of the three 'Second Contribution' is the best but I like them all. After 'Bright White' his albums are like yacht rock come jazz fusion interspersed with acoustic stuff not before he links up with the headhunters for some late seventies jazz funk. I'm looking forward to picking them up cheap although 'Spaced' seems to be the one everyone wants and is probably the hardest to get after 'Second Contribution'. I have to say I like 'Collaboration' the most it's just a raucous and joyful record. He's a shameless self-publicist his latest kickstarter is so 'accidental partridge' well worth a look to listen to him drone on about himself. : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...shawn-phillips.

'New Heavenly Blue' their second record I think with their first being a bit more psyche from what I've heard. This is a bit more southern jazz rock and folk but it's a bit crazy and kind of flirts in and out of genres. It's very well played though and a fun record all in and very much fits with what I'm listening to at the mo. :

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    He's a shameless self-publicist his latest kickstarter is so 'accidental partridge' well worth a look to listen to him drone on about himself. : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...shawn-phillips.
    I burst out laughing when, all of a sudden, the dog appeared.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

That got me too along with the random spray that starts appearing at the end. He looks like he's creeped into a greenhouse in Kew Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I burst out laughing when, all of a sudden, the dog appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    I will be forever indebted to you

Where were you again this weekend? At that special new car boot you haven't told me about.
    I did Shitchurch and bought £10 of crud. As for Sunday, I went for the lie-in instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    I did Shitchurch and bought £10 of crud
    Groundhog Day

B/w

Appetite whetted

A bit of a funky jazzy trip over the last week which has turned up some long time wants for me.

The other day a mate gave me his spare copies of these albums for free as he has upgraded. I already had reissues of Eire Apparent and Younger than Yesterday but those are original US copies. The covers are a bit tatty but the records are all in excellent condition. Also, I never had a copy of June 1, 1974 (this is a UK reissue btw) and Look at the fool and I’m pretty chuffed about it
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Just getting in under the wire as April closes. These from the last couple of weeks (and I promise not to bore you with the Bruce Springsteen motherlode I picked up yesterday at the car boot. All in mint condition and heading for a well known auction site as soon as I can be arsed to list them).

Atomic Rooster - In Hearing Of. Only really knew their hit single Devil's Answer. This is a great album with an equally great cover. Tight prog if there is such a thing.

Free - Heartbreaker. An upgrade. Memories of my youth.

Joni Mitchell - Hejira. Filling up my Joni collection (those words were used by someone else here earlier this month I think). Early-Mid 70s was her best period I think.

Kool & The Gang - Wild And Peaceful. A big fan of early Kool & The Gang but this was missing from the collection. All the non hits on this are strong and lean towards their jazz roots. 50p and I'm happy.

Nana Mouskouri - Nana. There is a very beautiful young woman behind those glasses. I have never appreciated that before I saw this cover. Tiny Sparrow and I Gave My Love A Cherry are very nice tracks too.

Suntribe - Guts Like Briar. Hardly any presence on the interweb for this one. It turns out it was the only release from a Bristol band who had been previosuly known as Blue Riverside. Just a local band. This is more like a mini LP than a 12" single as it has 5 tracks. Sound like a grungier Oasis I think and it's rather good.

Harry James & Orchestra - The New James.
    The Jo Jones Sextet - Vamp Till Ready.

Not played these yet. Jazz on the tepid side I suspect.

Inroducing Donnie Elbert A budget label reissue of his Tribute To A King album. Donnie does Otis backed by Fleur de Lys. Somewhat surprisingly, this works for the most part.

The Pointer Sisters – Steppin. Another album my radar seemed to have missed all these years. I love the Pointer Sisters, such fine singers and great arrangements. Really strong album.

The World Of Lulu. Loved Lulu when I was a nipper. Leave A Little Love is well known but Surprise Surprise was new to me and worthwhile. There is some pretty dreadful stuff on here otherwise.

Andy Williams - Honey. Liking Spooky and Windy.

The Goons - Ying Tong Song & The Bluebottle Blues. My 78 collection continues to expand. A lady and her son(?) were arguing over whether they really wanted to sell all the 78s they had carted to the car boot. In the end the son convinced her she should and I finally convinced him that £1 each was too much for these. He had never heard of the Goons (I am guessing he was about 50 so that was a bit of a surprise) so the lady and I gave him a rendition of The Ying Tong Song. Brightened up the morning.

This Is London - A Tour In Stereo Sound Of The World's Most Exciting City:

Peter Ustinov ‎– Peter Ustinov Reads Cautionary Verse:

Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren ‎– Peter And Sophia (No. 2):

Patrick Cargill ‎– Sings "Father, Dear Father":

Paddy Roberts ‎– Paddy:

Paddy Roberts ‎– ...But Not In Front Of The Children:

I already have the 7inch but found the 12 inch loitering Stockport market so had to take it home, Mel Brooks ‎– To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap) Pts. 1&2:

From the freebie bounty of Ben, Marti Caine ‎– Nobody Does It Like Marti Caine:

Channeling a little bit of Bowie, it's the thin white duchess Marti Caine ‎– Behind The Smile:

Another from Ben, jazz and bad language from the somewhat eccentric owner of a Wakefield restaurant and strip club, Frank Hepworth ‎– Live At Heppys:

Eco-warrior David Bellamy ‎– Some Things Must Change:

A decent enough collection fo his early 70s output, Chuck Berry ‎– I'm A Rocker:

Charlie Smithers ‎– Is A Very Funny Man:

I spen Record Store Day at Stockport chili festival, such was my reluctance to stand in a quie for eight hours on the off chance of blowing 30 quid on a Fawlty Towers picture disc. As well as getting a bit giddy after sampling twnety different chilli sauces, I did pick up a few second hand records from the vicinity, and despite losing one of them on the way home (no idea where) I think the day went well with no queuing involved at any stage. This was from Room at the Top Vintage Goods in the MArket Place, Bob Cort ‎– Eskimo Nell And Other Barrack Room Ballads:

Harry Lauder ‎– Harry Lauder ESQ:

Mae West ‎– Great Balls Of Fire:

Ken Dodd And The Diddymen ‎– The Nikky Nokky Noo Song:

Acker Bilk ‎– London Is My Cup Of Tea:

And a bit of Jack and Vera to finish on, Joe Longthorne & Liz Dawn ‎– Passing Strangers:

Bill Tarmey ‎– The Wind Beneath My Wings:

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    Look at the fool
    Rare sighting of a copy sans punch hole!
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Just 3 all pretty cheap and not much over a tenner. Just realised these are technically May but Bank Holiday and all that, so it goes. :

George Gerdes ‎– Obituary 1971-72ish Really like this, right up with that country/southern/ssw vibe I'm digging at the moment. I uhmmd and ahhd and glad I settled on an ah! Seemed he did one more album then became an actor which he still does to this day. He's got a decent voice for what's required and plays a mean harp.

Peter Sinfeld - Still File this under records I've never heard alongside the recorded output of Barclay James Harvest. It was cheap enough for a punt, think it's a US press not sure. It always gets a bad rep from Crimson fans but who are they to dictate. Anyway gave this it's first listen earlier and first impressions are I find it patchy but it has a great side 2 in fact a Brit parptastic closer so I'll give it a few more spins, it's an oddity for sure.

Keith Jarrett ‎– Arbour Zena Another for my ECM collection. From 1976 and could go either way really, again cheap enough to punt on which is what it's all about.

Last edited by amidar; 01-05-2017 at 07:39 PM.

@ Agnes_Guano. I have frequented Heppy's 'nitespot' as a callow youth. Warm beer, an undercurrent of menace and lunchtime strippers. Your ticket in would entitle you to a free chip butty or burger. Proper classy. I imagine this is what we are going back to if the 'will of the people' gets its way.
    record licker

Patrick Cargill my favourite No.2. In fact if I remember rightly that episode of 'The Prisoner' vinyl plays a small part in No 6's cunning scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    @ Agnes_Guano. I have frequented Heppy's 'nitespot' as a callow youth. Warm beer, an undercurrent of menace and lunchtime strippers. Your ticket in would entitle you to a free chip butty or burger. Proper classy. I imagine this is what we are going back to if the 'will of the people' gets its way.
    A few trawls through the nether regions of the internet reveals many similar stories. The 'fish and strips' theme nights must have been a thing to behold/smell.

Copy of TD's Phaedra from a local chazzer. Ex+ (visually - no player here). Gatefold sleeve ditto, except for a sticker tear. £2.99.

Synth TD leaves me cold. But this features mellotron. Hence the punt.

A shout out to the nice people in Audio Gold in N.London for being nice people.

Agnes, I'm intrigued as to whether Charlie Smithers is a very funny man or not? The typography doesn't leave much room for doubt, but I have been burnt before with comedy records.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Patrick Cargill my favourite No.2. In fact if I remember rightly that episode of 'The Prisoner' vinyl plays a small part in No 6's cunning scheme.
    He does indeed - used a bit of that in a scratch video I made back in the 80s - see around the 1:00 minute mark:

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    Agnes, I'm intrigued as to whether Charlie Smithers is a very funny man or not? The typography doesn't leave much room for doubt, but I have been burnt before with comedy records.
    I think 'very funny' is stretching it a bit. 'Reasonably' would be my adverb of choice. There's a bit too much singing on side two and most of the jokes are fairly run off the mill and lightly sprinkled with some mid 1970s casual racism. The highlight of the record however is the debut of the Fokker joke, a full ten years before Stan Boardman stole it word for word when he appeared on the Des O'Connor show. It may well have been around since the war like much of Charlie's material but it's the earliest I've heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    I think 'very funny' is stretching it a bit. 'Reasonably' would be my adverb of choice. There's a bit too much singing on side two and most of the jokes are fairly run off the mill and lightly sprinkled with some mid 1970s casual racism. The highlight of the record however is the debut of the Fokker joke, a full ten years before Stan Boardman stole it word for word when he appeared on the Des O'Connor show. It may well have been around since the war like much of Charlie's material but it's the earliest I've heard it.
    I was told the Fokker joke by a retired Hurricane pilot a few years back, but I suppose he could have got it from Stan Boardman or Charlie Smithers as much as from the mess room in Rangoon.
    If you ever meet a Hurricane pilot, be sure to stay off the subject of Spitfires.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!