Thread: April 2017 finds

Hybrid View

Default April 2017 finds

This Various - The Concert For Bangla Desh promo turned up at my regular Sat a.m. flea ...

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Haven't been into a charity shop for ages but whilst dropping my daughter off at a birthday party I nabbed this minty Vulture classic lp for 50p

Wow! Score Martin!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

A trip to the midlands for my Mum's 70th netted me these in the charities of wildest Derbyshire.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Nice haul indeed. Is Space Hymns a swirl and more importantly does it have the poster!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Nice haul indeed. Is Space Hymns a swirl and more importantly does it have the poster!
    The sleeve is the poster isn't it ie 6 card panel sleeve that folds out into a poster.

Glass Top Coffin really is one of my all time favourite LP's.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Quote Originally Posted by el sporto View Post
    Haven't been into a charity shop for ages but whilst dropping my daughter off at a birthday party I nabbed this minty Vulture classic lp for 50p
    Also a nice find but I did just listen to this in its entirety and in all honesty I think its very mediocre. But for 50p it is a hell of a score.

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Also a nice find but I did just listen to this in its entirety and in all honesty I think its very mediocre. But for 50p it is a hell of a score.
    "The Vulture" and "I Got The" are great, but there's some real stinkers on there if I remember, possibly more so than his other (much cheaper) LPs. Very nice find for 50p!

Back on the road again so took the wife to the local Antiques center 'Dagfields' near Nantwich where she could have something to eat (they do an old school BHS style steak and kidney pie she loves... YUK!) and look at garden based things and I could browse a few crates. Grabbed these, not at chazza prices but good value and they are both in excellent nick and both educated punts as I've not heard either.

Saw this mentioned on here and it seemed it's a bit marmite from the reaction I saw but I'm hoping it should satisfy that SSW, Americana, Southern vibe I'm on at the moment and I like marmite. EDIT: Well this totally blindsides me Americana check, SSW check but not the southern/country vibe the cover suggests but very grandiose orchestral arrangements which definitely don't earworm you on first listen but you know something is there. I cant say I listened to the lyrics but it comes with the lyric sheet and it will have to get some more airplay as you can tell there will be some reward for perseverance. From what little I've read some site's see this as bit of an unsung classic, it's certainly something. :

I was about to buy 'David Clayton Thomas' second album from 72 which I am always meaning to buy but it was a bit overpriced and the cover was a bit manky but it's a record I know pretty well so it takes the fun out of it so I then spotted this which was in amongst a new pile of records behind the counter and I've never heard it. 'Quad Compatible Stereo Edition' Ahoy!

There's lots of mad records in this book shop and books come to that and he's always open to deals if he's in (just avoid double albums as he doubles the price and writes 'double' on them') so I pretty much diss the rest of the complex. Anyway there are records in most of the units but its mainly over priced mojo, scratched and scuffed and in impossible to browse locations and they make you feel a twat for asking to knock a quid or two off.

There was a guy across the way from the book shop who did football programs and comics alongside records, really nice guy used to play for the Aston Villa academy but he's gone and it's now a coin/stamp shop. There was a guy in there with lots of framed presentation jobs of coinage and the owner was politely trying to tell him they were worth nothing despite him thinking they were worth thousands of pounds 'on ebay'. The owner inquired 'do you have anyone you could pass them down to?'. He wouldn't stop according to Mrs Amidar he kept pulling these frames out of his bag the sort they sell you in magazines and newspapers 'special commemorative collection' and all that jazz. Who knows another 50-100 years they may well be worth a lot more.

Oh and driving an automatic is weird.
    Last edited by amidar; 07-04-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Oh and driving an automatic is weird.
    Have been driving one for years and nowadays I wonder why anyone would want to go to the trouble of changing gears when you don't really need to.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    This Various - The Concert For Bangla Desh promo turned up at my regular Sat a.m. flea ...

Wow, nice find! In good condition I hope....?

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Wow, nice find! In good condition I hope....?
    Not bad at all ... I'll brillo pad it a bit later to get the dirt out ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Yeah top find TE. I absolutely adore the live cut of Wah-Wah.

Was only made aware of it from watching '20 feet from stardom' about the backing singers.

Wah-Wah The Concert for Bangladesh 1971

G
    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
    stage dancing friend Emoro.

Jumping back to the beginning of the month and a good start to a new car boot summer season.
    The last two years have been hard going at the car boots but on this evidence 2017 maybe a cracker. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Good prices too. Most of this was 50p each or less.

Couldn't say no to these considering the condition and they were only 10p each

[IMG][/IMG]

Roy Shurland & His Orchestra (with Little Sparrow on the Steel Pan) - The Big Bamboo. Chuffed to find this. Something of a coincidence as my son was just about to go to the Caribbean for a few weeks on a PhD related trip and starting off in Nassau. Recorded in 1961 at The Big Bamboo Club in Nassau, it's in great condition. Calypso tinged numbers both upbeat and ballad. The title track is surprisingly risque.

The Sound Of Crazy Otto
    Best part of this is the sleeve notes on the back cover, for instance. . Fifteen years training caput! Otto's tutor, demented and heedless after seeing him at the piano, playing the right hand part with his left hand...... Couldn't wait to hear it, unfortunately it didn't live up to this craziness, Otto just makes some almost off mic crazy sounding utterances now and then.

The Magic Accordian of Adriano - Sur Le Pave. My second copy of this, just in case I wear my first copy out.

Bill McGuffie Latin Overtones
    . Makes for some nice background music. Cover has pretty lady on the carpet with a copy of Playboy. What's not to like?

Some jazz and stuff

[IMG][/IMG]

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars Oboe/Flute Vol 4. The All-Stars include Bud Shank, Max Roach, Buddy Collette, Sonny Clark among others. The oboe flute combination make for some mysterious and vaguely unsettling soundscapes at times. Pleased with this for 25p!

Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. The two merge in an album of pulsing Latin Beauty so the back cover states. Correctly.

Richie Havens Something Else Again. Rickie is always worth the admission price.

Count Basie Breakfast Dance and Barbecue. Barbecue for breakfast?

Reggae (mostly)!

[IMG][/IMG]

Winston Scotland Buttercup
    The Maytals Johnny Cool Man
    Junior Byles Beat Down Babylon

All the above certified JA originals by the lady seller. Apparently her brother lived in Jamaica for a while and she used to visit for holidays. Always good to get some provenance.
    Lloyd & Joy Back To Africa. Actually Alton Ellis on vocal apparently.
    The Locomotive Broken Heart. A side is quite nice. B side has to be the worst ever version of Rudy A Message To You.
    James Brown Mother Popcorn

78s!

[IMG][/IMG]

Jo Stafford Don't Worry 'bout Me / A-round The Corner. Very nice, love Jo Stafford's voice.
    Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra Twelfth Street Rag
    Josh White Black Girl

More 45s. Another fuzzy pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

From a box of very random stuff. The two big holes were the only US 45s from memory and are both kiddie soul, and weirdly both share a release number of 533. The Eight Minutes Looking For A Brand New Game , Leonard 'lil Man' Kaigler I Think It's A Big One Coming (unfortunate title. Both are get the thumbs up from me.

TRB Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.

The CBS one is Springsteen Hungry Heart. Brucey ugh! But sold on ebay this might pay for the others,

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.
    Never a fan of TRB but, like you, it doesn't half take me back when I see one of their records. As you say Anti Nazi League gigs, Rock Against Racism', that kind of thing. I do have a bit of a soft spot for 'Glad To Be Gay'.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I do have a bit of a soft spot for 'Glad To Be Gay'.
    Me too.

Jumping back to the beginning of the month and a good start to a new car boot summer season.
    The last two years have been hard going at the car boots but on this evidence 2017 maybe a cracker. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Good prices too. Most of this was 50p each or less.

Couldn't say no to these considering the condition and they were only 10p each

[IMG][/IMG]

Roy Shurland & His Orchestra (with Little Sparrow on the Steel Pan) - The Big Bamboo. Chuffed to find this. Something of a coincidence as my son was just about to go to the Caribbean for a few weeks on a PhD related trip and starting off in Nassau. Recorded in 1961 at The Big Bamboo Club in Nassau, it's in great condition. Calypso tinged numbers both upbeat and ballad. The title track is surprisingly risque.

The Sound Of Crazy Otto
    – Best part of this is the sleeve notes on the back cover, for instance. …. Fifteen years training – caput! Otto's tutor, demented and heedless after seeing him at the piano, playing the right hand part with his left hand...... Couldn't wait to hear it, unfortunately it didn't live up to this craziness, Otto just makes some almost off mic crazy sounding utterances now and then.

The Magic Accordian of Adriano - Sur Le Pave. My second copy of this, just in case I wear my first copy out.

Bill McGuffie – Latin Overtones
    . Makes for some nice background music. Cover has pretty lady on the carpet with a copy of Playboy. What's not to like?

Some jazz and stuff

[IMG][/IMG]

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars – Oboe/Flute Vol 4. The All-Stars include Bud Shank, Max Roach, Buddy Collette, Sonny Clark among others. The oboe flute combination make for some mysterious and vaguely unsettling soundscapes at times. Pleased with this for 25p!

Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. The two merge in an album of pulsing Latin Beauty so the back cover states. Correctly.

Richie Havens – Something Else Again. Rickie is always worth the admission price.

Count Basie – Breakfast Dance and Barbecue. Barbecue for breakfast?

Reggae (mostly)!

[IMG][/IMG]

Winston Scotland – Buttercup
    The Maytals – Johnny Cool Man
    Junior Byles – Beat Down Babylon

All the above certified JA originals by the lady seller. Apparently her brother lived in Jamaica for a while and she used to visit for holidays. Always good to get some provenance.
    Lloyd & Joy – Back To Africa. Actually Alton Ellis on vocal apparently.
    The Locomotive – Broken Heart. A side is quite nice. B side has to be the worst ever version of Rudy A Message To You.
    James Brown – Mother Popcorn

78s!

[IMG][/IMG]

Jo Stafford – Don't Worry 'bout Me / A-round The Corner. Very nice, love Jo Stafford's voice.
    Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra – Twelfth Street Rag
    Josh White – Black Girl

More 45s. Another fuzzy pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

From a box of very random stuff. The two big holes were the only US 45s from memory and are both kiddie soul, and weirdly both share a release number of 533. The Eight Minutes – Looking For A Brand New Game , Leonard 'lil Man' Kaigler – I Think It's A Big One Coming (unfortunate title. Both are get the thumbs up from me.

TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.

The CBS one is Springsteen Hungry Heart. Brucey – ugh! But sold on ebay this might pay for the others,
    Aren't you glad I told the car boot was on that week

Various vinyl things found on a short trip to the chazzers of Sheffield and the boots of Northampton

I was indeed "gassed" to pick this up in a box on a Northern shop floor,
    Penthouse was first published in 1965 so this was a vinyl tease I doubt few men back then could resist!

This turned out to be a really sweet listen, all covers from the White Album in a cool plinky plonk stylee,
    I believe that's what the Jazz cats say.

nothing more than 5 a pop from a more sussed than usual car boot seller

+2 original Blind Faith LP's (phone = the missus)

cheap 7" odds & ends

this is actually an unusual Charlie Hyatt & Bam ‎comedy disc from '66 titled Rass!

4 tunes from the '59 film of the same name by the Cockney cheeky chappie

I'm still not quite sure what Errol was singing about on this early 70's demo

early 60's TV themes including the puppet version of The Goon Show

A single sold exclusively on cruise ships in the early 70's with music composed on this one
    by the same chap who did The Amazing Electronic Arp Synthesizer albums.

I have uploaded the A side as it's kinda funky & worth hearing : here

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Aren't you glad I told the car boot was on that week
    I will be forever indebted to you

Where were you again this weekend? At that special new car boot you haven't told me about.

The other day a mate gave me his spare copies of these albums for free as he has upgraded. I already had reissues of Eire Apparent and Younger than Yesterday but those are original US copies. The covers are a bit tatty but the records are all in excellent condition. Also, I never had a copy of June 1, 1974 (this is a UK reissue btw) and Look at the fool and Im pretty chuffed about it
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Just getting in under the wire as April closes. These from the last couple of weeks (and I promise not to bore you with the Bruce Springsteen motherlode I picked up yesterday at the car boot. All in mint condition and heading for a well known auction site as soon as I can be arsed to list them).

Atomic Rooster - In Hearing Of. Only really knew their hit single Devil's Answer. This is a great album with an equally great cover. Tight prog if there is such a thing.

Free - Heartbreaker. An upgrade. Memories of my youth.

Joni Mitchell - Hejira. Filling up my Joni collection (those words were used by someone else here earlier this month I think). Early-Mid 70s was her best period I think.

Kool & The Gang - Wild And Peaceful. A big fan of early Kool & The Gang but this was missing from the collection. All the non hits on this are strong and lean towards their jazz roots. 50p and I'm happy.

Nana Mouskouri - Nana. There is a very beautiful young woman behind those glasses. I have never appreciated that before I saw this cover. Tiny Sparrow and I Gave My Love A Cherry are very nice tracks too.

Suntribe - Guts Like Briar. Hardly any presence on the interweb for this one. It turns out it was the only release from a Bristol band who had been previosuly known as Blue Riverside. Just a local band. This is more like a mini LP than a 12" single as it has 5 tracks. Sound like a grungier Oasis I think and it's rather good.

Harry James & Orchestra - The New James.
    The Jo Jones Sextet - Vamp Till Ready.

Not played these yet. Jazz on the tepid side I suspect.

Inroducing Donnie Elbert A budget label reissue of his Tribute To A King album. Donnie does Otis backed by Fleur de Lys. Somewhat surprisingly, this works for the most part.

The Pointer Sisters – Steppin. Another album my radar seemed to have missed all these years. I love the Pointer Sisters, such fine singers and great arrangements. Really strong album.

The World Of Lulu. Loved Lulu when I was a nipper. Leave A Little Love is well known but Surprise Surprise was new to me and worthwhile. There is some pretty dreadful stuff on here otherwise.

Andy Williams - Honey. Liking Spooky and Windy.

The Goons - Ying Tong Song & The Bluebottle Blues. My 78 collection continues to expand. A lady and her son(?) were arguing over whether they really wanted to sell all the 78s they had carted to the car boot. In the end the son convinced her she should and I finally convinced him that 1 each was too much for these. He had never heard of the Goons (I am guessing he was about 50 so that was a bit of a surprise) so the lady and I gave him a rendition of The Ying Tong Song. Brightened up the morning.

This Is London - A Tour In Stereo Sound Of The World's Most Exciting City:

Peter Ustinov ‎– Peter Ustinov Reads Cautionary Verse:

Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren ‎– Peter And Sophia (No. 2):

Patrick Cargill ‎– Sings "Father, Dear Father":

Paddy Roberts ‎– Paddy:

Paddy Roberts ‎– ...But Not In Front Of The Children:

I already have the 7inch but found the 12 inch loitering Stockport market so had to take it home, Mel Brooks ‎– To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap) Pts. 1&2:

From the freebie bounty of Ben, Marti Caine ‎– Nobody Does It Like Marti Caine:

Channeling a little bit of Bowie, it's the thin white duchess Marti Caine ‎– Behind The Smile:

Another from Ben, jazz and bad language from the somewhat eccentric owner of a Wakefield restaurant and strip club, Frank Hepworth ‎– Live At Heppys:

Eco-warrior David Bellamy ‎– Some Things Must Change:

A decent enough collection fo his early 70s output, Chuck Berry ‎– I'm A Rocker:

Charlie Smithers ‎– Is A Very Funny Man:

I spen Record Store Day at Stockport chili festival, such was my reluctance to stand in a quie for eight hours on the off chance of blowing 30 quid on a Fawlty Towers picture disc. As well as getting a bit giddy after sampling twnety different chilli sauces, I did pick up a few second hand records from the vicinity, and despite losing one of them on the way home (no idea where) I think the day went well with no queuing involved at any stage. This was from Room at the Top Vintage Goods in the MArket Place, Bob Cort ‎– Eskimo Nell And Other Barrack Room Ballads:

Harry Lauder ‎– Harry Lauder ESQ:

Mae West ‎– Great Balls Of Fire:

Ken Dodd And The Diddymen ‎– The Nikky Nokky Noo Song:

Acker Bilk ‎– London Is My Cup Of Tea:

And a bit of Jack and Vera to finish on, Joe Longthorne & Liz Dawn ‎– Passing Strangers:

Bill Tarmey ‎– The Wind Beneath My Wings:

Just getting in under the wire as April closes. These from the last couple of weeks (and I promise not to bore you with the Bruce Springsteen motherlode I picked up yesterday at the car boot. All in mint condition and heading for a well known auction site as soon as I can be arsed to list them).

Atomic Rooster - In Hearing Of. Only really knew their hit single Devil's Answer. This is a great album with an equally great cover. Tight prog if there is such a thing.

Free - Heartbreaker. An upgrade. Memories of my youth.

Joni Mitchell - Hejira. Filling up my Joni collection (those words were used by someone else here earlier this month I think). Early-Mid 70s was her best period I think.

Kool & The Gang - Wild And Peaceful. A big fan of early Kool & The Gang but this was missing from the collection. All the non hits on this are strong and lean towards their jazz roots. 50p and I'm happy.
    Joni Mitchell - Hejira.

I am not a great Joni Mitchell fan but I absolutely love this album.
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    Look at the fool
    Rare sighting of a copy sans punch hole!
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Just 3 all pretty cheap and not much over a tenner. Just realised these are technically May but Bank Holiday and all that, so it goes. :

George Gerdes ‎– Obituary 1971-72ish Really like this, right up with that country/southern/ssw vibe I'm digging at the moment. I uhmmd and ahhd and glad I settled on an ah! Seemed he did one more album then became an actor which he still does to this day. He's got a decent voice for what's required and plays a mean harp.

Peter Sinfeld - Still File this under records I've never heard alongside the recorded output of Barclay James Harvest. It was cheap enough for a punt, think it's a US press not sure. It always gets a bad rep from Crimson fans but who are they to dictate. Anyway gave this it's first listen earlier and first impressions are I find it patchy but it has a great side 2 in fact a Brit parptastic closer so I'll give it a few more spins, it's an oddity for sure.

Keith Jarrett ‎– Arbour Zena Another for my ECM collection. From 1976 and could go either way really, again cheap enough to punt on which is what it's all about.

Last edited by amidar; 01-05-2017 at 07:39 PM.