Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April 2017 finds

Another awesome piece of music shrouded in arguments you've got 'Jonathon Weston' claiming credit and royalties, Shawn Phillips claiming he wrote it and was diddled out of royalties then Wynder K Frog (Mick Weaver) saying he wrote it 50/50 based around Shawn's chord progression and didn't even get his studio fee!

I'm inclined to think the latter claim by Mick holds up much better as it's an organised 'Jam' lets say but Shawn has a copyright claim on YouTube which sounds like it's wound Mick up no end.

Did a little more digging and Shawn has claimed he wrote a lot of the riffs on 'Sunshine Superman' over the years, throughout the 70's in fact and was only ever credited with playing a bit of Sitar. It's notable he doesn't try and claim credit for the arrangements though but he does come across upset he gets little recognition or royalties. So he has form lets say but then lots of musicians were ripped off back then. The only reference to 'Season of the Witch' being credited musically to him is a 'Shawn' interview where he claims 'Donovan' admitted on stage at the Albert Hall that he wrote the music but again I cannot find anything to back this up, video evidence would help. I'm inclined to think he did come up with that riff but who knows and I don't think Wikipedia should be stating that he did without pointing toward actual proof. Might get my brother on to it as he is a Wikipedia Fascist and Nerd!

I've read a few threads on here about 'World in Action' it's a toon and I'm guessing we'll never see a release of it as it stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Shawn Phillips - World in Action theme!

Lol, I think it was a cross between 'To the Manor Born' and 'The Champions' on hire purchase!

Must admit you've got to be suspicious of a Xian backing group that call themselves 'The Reapers'

PS Nice haul styles missed your post too, giving Treeboy a run for his money with those little ones!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sounds like they could have used a financial consultant.

Had to bob into town and pleased to find a copy of this at chazza prices. American session Exploito LP with Darryl Hall on keys. It's inoffensive (unless you're a Native American) and has some sweet percussion and a soul jazz if slightly poppy vibe to it. If I didn't already know it I'd be fooled into thinking it was a Moog LP but it's instrumental and all covers apart from some 3 originals pushing that fake American Indian vibe.

The Electric Indian Keem-O-Sabe

recent vinyl finds from the fields

Some odd things have turned up this week, I was most pleased with this US promo LP released to radio stations
    in 1973 featuring specially recorded 30 second messages to discourage folk from doing heroin.
    A friend burned me a CDR years ago which had a few of these tracks on but I'd never come across the whole album before.

In the same £1 box was this album produced by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard which has some great Jazz Funk tracks.

This was cat nip to me and the guy said "that LP is 10p" so I gave him 20p just to be sure!
    It had 'A Fennell School Production' written on the sleeve and has DER 1190 matrix
    so if it's some long lost Deroy test pressing I've no idea but maybe someone knows more?

I picked up a handful of 50p singles

The A side turns out to be quite scarce but it was the B side that I was more curious about.

One of my fave 70's tunes on a US mono/stereo promo

Power of Source , great album great find

Never leave Budweiser Showdown singles behind. Not at 50p each anyway.
    record licker

sleeve and has DER 1190 matrix so if it's some long lost Deroy test pressing I've no idea but maybe someone knows more?

Shame matrix is not Der 1098. As that's Courtyard Music Group.

Probably mid 70s though.

Deroy one of the most diverse labels there was.

sleeve and has DER 1190 matrix so if it's some long lost Deroy test pressing I've no idea but maybe someone knows more?

Shame matrix is not Der 1098. As that's Courtyard Music Group.

Probably mid 70s though.

Deroy one of the most diverse labels there was.

double thanks richwax

I picked up a few cheeky ones over the Easter break:

The above selection came from Rob's and, to be honest, apart from the Ramsey Lewis which was a 'minting up' purchase (and even then, I'm still only at VG condition, but it sounds fine), they were all just curiosity punts. Really only got the Kiki Dee to fit in with my fondness for femme vox as I didn't really know the LP at all. I'm late to the party, obviously, so I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted round here when I say this it's a lovely LP (apparently one of the tunes was big on the Northern scene). As for the Simon May LP, I have to say that it's surely up (or, more accurately, down) there in terms of the worst LPs I've ever had the misfortune to take home and allow on the turntable. Jesus H. Awful. And the man can't sing at all, really obviously off-key numerous times. Were they not allowed a second take? Still, at least the poster is intact. The Schadel LP was picked up on the strength of it being an Alan Hawkshaw production. To be honest, it does sound quite a lot like the KPM fellas performing the backing tracks. Not feeling the vocals though, too overwrought, and there's not enough space given to the band. I'll give it another spin out of respect to the Hawk, but it may well be one that hits the Out pile quite soon.

These three came from a quick bimble around some Newark-on-Trent charity shops on Saturday. Lesser-spotted Pete Rock associated Hair LP, haven't seen this one for quite a few years actually, so it's a keeper. Was in the same rack as the Martyn Ford Orchestra LP, which is one of the best quids I've spent in ages. Proper funky disco moves, with classy strings over the top. Not sure anyone needed to hear a disco-fied version of 'Gone With The Wind' mind! Beautifully camp concept though. But, yeah, really decent album, with definite mid-70s library feel to it. I'm not a fan of Paul Simon, to put it mildly, but I'm a sucker for these covers albums and some easy/soft-psych on the Dot label had to be worth giving Oxfam a few quid. Much better than I expected too. Only ever gonna be background music, but certainly sounded lovely with the Spring sunshine yesterday.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Would have had to have taken the sound symposium home too if i saw it.

Whats your profile pic B?

G
    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
    stage dancing friend Emoro.

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Would have had to have taken the sound symposium home too if i saw it.

Whats your profile pic B?

G
    Goodfellas
    One dog goes one way and the other goes the other

Thankyou
    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
    stage dancing friend Emoro.

Bloody 'ell HG, some NICE finds there.

Whats the hair LP like Ben? never seen that cover before.

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Bloody 'ell HG, some NICE finds there.

Whats the hair LP like Ben? never seen that cover before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr6-B1ShMHQ

That's largely why folk pick this one up.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    I picked up a few cheeky ones over the Easter break:

The above selection came from Rob's and, to be honest, apart from the Ramsey Lewis which was a 'minting up' purchase (and even then, I'm still only at VG condition, but it sounds fine), they were all just curiosity punts. Really only got the Kiki Dee to fit in with my fondness for femme vox as I didn't really know the LP at all. I'm late to the party, obviously, so I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted round here when I say this it's a lovely LP (apparently one of the tunes was big on the Northern scene).
    Always had a soft spot for Kiki. A great singer. Wasn't aware of this comp.
    Look out for her self titled album on Sounds Superb/MFP. Cheap as chips. Basically it's her Motown Great Expectations album but has 2 different tracks which are not found anywhere else and are both belters - Oh Be My Love and I'll Try Something New. Both on you tube although Oh Be My Love is mistitled Oh Be My Baby.

Just been up to Bangor to drop the stepson at uni, Relics closed but a few chazzas open and picked these up.

Not listened to any yet bought this for the tracklisting and it's general clubland vibe. Seems to be silly money on discogs for a record that has never sold and 1 person wants. :

Some Jazz on Black Lion from 1971 but released in 77 which I know is probably going to be Dixieland but you never know. Found in Wales, Surname is 'Welsh' hails from Scotland. :

Finally this Minty copy of the MFP Mandingo comp will replaced my warped and well played version just needs a seam repair. PVA at the ready! :

Very pleased to pick this up this morning...

Cracking find Tom, please don't tell me you picked it up for 50p at a car boot in tip top condition, I'll cry.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Cracking find Tom, please don't tell me you picked it up for 50p at a car boot in tip top condition, I'll cry.
    No, it was £10 - but yes, in excellent condition

Ah, yeah I see the sticker, still cheap as, first Oooof of the year from me, nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post

Jumping back to the beginning of the month and a good start to a new car boot summer season.
    The last two years have been hard going at the car boots but on this evidence 2017 maybe a cracker. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Good prices too. Most of this was 50p each or less.

Couldn't say no to these considering the condition and they were only 10p each

[IMG][/IMG]

Roy Shurland & His Orchestra (with Little Sparrow on the Steel Pan) - The Big Bamboo. Chuffed to find this. Something of a coincidence as my son was just about to go to the Caribbean for a few weeks on a PhD related trip and starting off in Nassau. Recorded in 1961 at The Big Bamboo Club in Nassau, it's in great condition. Calypso tinged numbers both upbeat and ballad. The title track is surprisingly risque.

The Sound Of Crazy Otto
    – Best part of this is the sleeve notes on the back cover, for instance. …. Fifteen years training – caput! Otto's tutor, demented and heedless after seeing him at the piano, playing the right hand part with his left hand...... Couldn't wait to hear it, unfortunately it didn't live up to this craziness, Otto just makes some almost off mic crazy sounding utterances now and then.

The Magic Accordian of Adriano - Sur Le Pave. My second copy of this, just in case I wear my first copy out.

Bill McGuffie – Latin Overtones
    . Makes for some nice background music. Cover has pretty lady on the carpet with a copy of Playboy. What's not to like?

Some jazz and stuff

[IMG][/IMG]

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars – Oboe/Flute Vol 4. The All-Stars include Bud Shank, Max Roach, Buddy Collette, Sonny Clark among others. The oboe flute combination make for some mysterious and vaguely unsettling soundscapes at times. Pleased with this for 25p!

Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. The two merge in an album of pulsing Latin Beauty so the back cover states. Correctly.

Richie Havens – Something Else Again. Rickie is always worth the admission price.

Count Basie – Breakfast Dance and Barbecue. Barbecue for breakfast?

Reggae (mostly)!

[IMG][/IMG]

Winston Scotland – Buttercup
    The Maytals – Johnny Cool Man
    Junior Byles – Beat Down Babylon

All the above certified JA originals by the lady seller. Apparently her brother lived in Jamaica for a while and she used to visit for holidays. Always good to get some provenance.
    Lloyd & Joy – Back To Africa. Actually Alton Ellis on vocal apparently.
    The Locomotive – Broken Heart. A side is quite nice. B side has to be the worst ever version of Rudy A Message To You.
    James Brown – Mother Popcorn

78s!

[IMG][/IMG]

Jo Stafford – Don't Worry 'bout Me / A-round The Corner. Very nice, love Jo Stafford's voice.
    Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra – Twelfth Street Rag
    Josh White – Black Girl

More 45s. Another fuzzy pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

From a box of very random stuff. The two big holes were the only US 45s from memory and are both kiddie soul, and weirdly both share a release number of 533. The Eight Minutes – Looking For A Brand New Game , Leonard 'lil Man' Kaigler – I Think It's A Big One Coming (unfortunate title. Both are get the thumbs up from me.

TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.

The CBS one is Springsteen Hungry Heart. Brucey – ugh! But sold on ebay this might pay for the others,

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

TRB – Up Against The Wall. Don't think I already have this. Early TRB have always been a favourite with me, memories of Anti Nazi League events.
    Never a fan of TRB but, like you, it doesn't half take me back when I see one of their records. As you say Anti Nazi League gigs, Rock Against Racism', that kind of thing. I do have a bit of a soft spot for 'Glad To Be Gay'.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I do have a bit of a soft spot for 'Glad To Be Gay'.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Now thats worth getting up early for a car boot , find of the year

Been after this 7" for a long, long time now. Glad to finally be able to take it off the want list.
    'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

@ Candiman. I love the other side of Winston Scotland- a happy sound with a great trombone line. Mine's on Punch.
    record licker

Had the afternoon off last Friday, so visited a couple of places that I don't ordinarily get chance to hit.

The first three here came from Music Inn (jazz shop in Nottingham, sells mostly CDs, but has a few bits of vinyl too). Took a chance on the Jazz Composer's Orchestra as I wasn't familiar with it. We perhaps should have remained strangers. While it's not skronk, is still far too 'free' for me and goes straight in the 'Out' pile. I'll always pick up spares of the better NYJO LPs for cheap. I figured someone round here might want it for 'Cockpit' if nowt else. Yes, James, typical that I'd stumble on another Bobby Darin. And a very reasonably priced Smiths 12" off t'Bay.

Top two were cheapies from Anarchy. I appear to be reliving my early 20s with the indie / alt-rock (I reckon they should bring back The Chart Show). Happy to add to my Joni collection if I see titles cheap enough. Bottom two were a very kind donation from Melter - much obliged mate, but you really didn't need to! Not that I'm mithering about ticking another box off the Wants list, plus rocking out to FNM. Bang.

These last four came from Rob's. Dead chuffed to get Humble Pie's debut for a tenner, not mithered about the custom art-work - the vinyl is fine! Minim was a punt in the dark, I thought there was acid-folk potential, but it's a bit twee and not a million miles from Peter, Paul and Mary stuff, kind of overly sanitised, should be able to rehome it via the market though. As I'm currently reading Graham Nash's autobiography on my commute, I decided that my CSN / CSNY / Buffalo Springfield game was pitiful, so took the opportunity to make some inroads (unfortunately, not for pennies, but hey-ho).

That was enough expenditure to underline my previously taken decision not to bother with RSD. I've described it as the vinyl collector's Christmas. And, like Christmas, it started with its heart in the right place, with the best of intentions and has just been co-opted into a cynical marketing / cash-generating exercise (and the Grip & Flip crew are as much to blame as the record labels). That said, I can still see me caving in and buying 'Cracked Actor' at some point. But I am both weak and a hypocrite!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

The first three here came from Music Inn (jazz shop in Nottingham, sells mostly CDs, but has a few bits of vinyl too).
    Bloody hell, Music Inn's still open?
    That place makes Rob's look like a pop-up shop. I used to go in in the 80s and I'd often find one, just one, good record among the Muggsy Spaniers.
    Vardy.....‘‘‘PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    Jumping back to the beginning of the month and a good start to a new car boot summer season.
    The last two years have been hard going at the car boots but on this evidence 2017 maybe a cracker. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Good prices too. Most of this was 50p each or less.

Couldn't say no to these considering the condition and they were only 10p each

[IMG][/IMG]

Roy Shurland & His Orchestra (with Little Sparrow on the Steel Pan) - The Big Bamboo. Chuffed to find this. Something of a coincidence as my son was just about to go to the Caribbean for a few weeks on a PhD related trip and starting off in Nassau. Recorded in 1961 at The Big Bamboo Club in Nassau, it's in great condition. Calypso tinged numbers both upbeat and ballad. The title track is surprisingly risque.

The Sound Of Crazy Otto
    – Best part of this is the sleeve notes on the back cover, for instance. …. Fifteen years training – caput! Otto's tutor, demented and heedless after seeing him at the piano, playing the right hand part with his left hand...... Couldn't wait to hear it, unfortunately it didn't live up to this craziness, Otto just makes some almost off mic crazy sounding utterances now and then.

The Magic Accordian of Adriano - Sur Le Pave. My second copy of this, just in case I wear my first copy out.

Bill McGuffie – Latin Overtones
    . Makes for some nice background music. Cover has pretty lady on the carpet with a copy of Playboy. What's not to like?

Some jazz and stuff

[IMG][/IMG]

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars – Oboe/Flute Vol 4. The All-Stars include Bud Shank, Max Roach, Buddy Collette, Sonny Clark among others. The oboe flute combination make for some mysterious and vaguely unsettling soundscapes at times. Pleased with this for 25p!

Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. The two merge in an album of pulsing Latin Beauty so the back cover states. Correctly.

Richie Havens – Something Else Again. Rickie is always worth the admission price.

Count Basie – Breakfast Dance and Barbecue. Barbecue for breakfast?

Reggae (mostly)!

[IMG][/IMG]

Winston Scotland – Buttercup
    The Maytals – Johnny Cool Man
    Junior Byles – Beat Down Babylon

All the above certified JA originals by the lady seller. Apparently her brother lived in Jamaica for a while and she used to visit for holidays. Always good to get some provenance.
    Lloyd & Joy – Back To Africa. Actually Alton Ellis on vocal apparently.
    The Locomotive – Broken Heart. A side is quite nice. B side has to be the worst ever version of Rudy A Message To You.
    James Brown – Mother Popcorn

78s!

[IMG][/IMG]

Jo Stafford – Don't Worry 'bout Me / A-round The Corner. Very nice, love Jo Stafford's voice.
    Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra – Twelfth Street Rag
    Josh White – Black Girl

More 45s. Another fuzzy pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

From a box of very random stuff. The two big holes were the only US 45s from memory and are both kiddie soul, and weirdly both share a release number of 533. The Eight Minutes – Looking For A Brand New Game , Leonard 'lil Man' Kaigler – I Think It's A Big One Coming (unfortunate title. Both are get the thumbs up from me.

The CBS one is Springsteen Hungry Heart. Brucey – ugh! But sold on ebay this might pay for the others,
    Aren't you glad I told the car boot was on that week