Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: April 2017 finds

Various vinyl things found on a short trip to the chazzers of Sheffield and the boots of Northampton

I was indeed "gassed" to pick this up in a box on a Northern shop floor,
    Penthouse was first published in 1965 so this was a vinyl tease I doubt few men back then could resist!

This turned out to be a really sweet listen, all covers from the White Album in a cool plinky plonk stylee,
    I believe that's what the Jazz cats say.

nothing more than £5 a pop from a more sussed than usual car boot seller

+2 original Blind Faith LP's (phone = the missus)

cheap 7" odds & ends

this is actually an unusual Charlie Hyatt & Bam ‎comedy disc from '66 titled Rass!

4 tunes from the '59 film of the same name by the Cockney cheeky chappie

I'm still not quite sure what Errol was singing about on this early 70's demo

early 60's TV themes including the puppet version of The Goon Show

A single sold exclusively on cruise ships in the early 70's with music composed on this one
    by the same chap who did The Amazing Electronic Arp Synthesizer albums.

I have uploaded the A side as it's kinda funky & worth hearing : here

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    Aren't you glad I told the car boot was on that week
    I will be forever indebted to you

Where were you again this weekend? At that special new car boot you haven't told me about.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    A single sold exclusively on cruise ships in the early 70's with music composed on this one
    by the same chap who did The Amazing Electronic Arp Synthesizer albums.

I have uploaded the A side as it's kinda funky & worth hearing : here
    Cor, this is great - not heard it before! Gordon Langford died last week, sadly.

Had a lunchtime trot around the charities and to an actual record shop! Love the UK Samantha Jones Ford promo sleeve variant. The Folky LPs will probably become record tokens.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Had a lunchtime trot around the charities and to an actual record shop! Love the UK Samantha Jones Ford promo sleeve variant. The Folky LPs will probably become record tokens.

I have that Judi Johnson 45. Quite pleasant but not in the same league as the Dusty Springfield version (as used by Saint Etienne in "Nothing Can Stop Us" - one of the greatest singles ever. FACT).
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I have that Judi Johnson 45. Quite pleasant but not in the same league as the Dusty Springfield version (as used by Saint Etienne in "Nothing Can Stop Us" - one of the greatest singles ever. FACT).
    Agreed

HG, that upload is one of the best thing I've heard on here in yonks. Many thanks.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    HG, that upload is one of the best thing I've heard on here in yonks. Many thanks.
    cheers treeboy, I'll put the flip side up soon too but not sure it's quite as good

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    It's good innit. Fuz kindly gave me his spare copy a while back and I showed it to someone recently who told me that a relative of theirs had actually worked on the ship and is featured on the 45! Now if only I could remember who it was

all 8 and a bit minutes of the flip side which isn't too shabby as it turns out

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be the theme to that Cliff Mitchelmore travel quiz from when I was smaller. Amazingly, it's better.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Have to give that a listen when I get a mo.

Here's some finds/purchases from the last couple of weeks. First up a batch of junk from the market in exchange for some other junk.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Benny Waters isn't too bad to be fair and I've not got around to the others. Is the woman saying 'Boots Randolph' is 'her favourite' or just that album, either way it aint' got the Benny Hill theme on it and I've probably enjoyed removing the masking tape and repairing the cover than I will listening to it. That Emerald Gem country record made it's way from a chazza up the road to the market within 48 hours so I'm glad I didn't buy it for a quid. Probably check out the 'Living Stereo' Gypsy record next.

Next up some Shawn Phillips albums from 'Contribution' to 'Second Contribution' to 'Bright White'. The first two were meant to be first presses but were both reissues. The seller kindly refunded me on 'Second Contribution' which I wasn't expecting to be honest. There's a lot of confusion on his A&M represses pre-74 on discogs so I'm sympathetic to sellers listing them wrongly as it's not clear on the covers. Of the three 'Second Contribution' is the best but I like them all. After 'Bright White' his albums are like yacht rock come jazz fusion interspersed with acoustic stuff not before he links up with the headhunters for some late seventies jazz funk. I'm looking forward to picking them up cheap although 'Spaced' seems to be the one everyone wants and is probably the hardest to get after 'Second Contribution'. I have to say I like 'Collaboration' the most it's just a raucous and joyful record. He's a shameless self-publicist his latest kickstarter is so 'accidental partridge' well worth a look to listen to him drone on about himself. : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...shawn-phillips.

'New Heavenly Blue' their second record I think with their first being a bit more psyche from what I've heard. This is a bit more southern jazz rock and folk but it's a bit crazy and kind of flirts in and out of genres. It's very well played though and a fun record all in and very much fits with what I'm listening to at the mo. :

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    He's a shameless self-publicist his latest kickstarter is so 'accidental partridge' well worth a look to listen to him drone on about himself. : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...shawn-phillips.
    I burst out laughing when, all of a sudden, the dog appeared.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

That got me too along with the random spray that starts appearing at the end. He looks like he's creeped into a greenhouse in Kew Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I burst out laughing when, all of a sudden, the dog appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    I will be forever indebted to you

Where were you again this weekend? At that special new car boot you haven't told me about.
    I did Shitchurch and bought £10 of crud. As for Sunday, I went for the lie-in instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    I did Shitchurch and bought £10 of crud
    Groundhog Day

B/w

Appetite whetted

A bit of a funky jazzy trip over the last week which has turned up some long time wants for me.

The other day a mate gave me his spare copies of these albums for free as he has upgraded. I already had reissues of Eire Apparent and Younger than Yesterday but those are original US copies. The covers are a bit tatty but the records are all in excellent condition. Also, I never had a copy of June 1, 1974 (this is a UK reissue btw) and Look at the fool and Iím pretty chuffed about it
    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla