Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: record store day idiocy

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    Was absolutely delighted to wander in to Tower Records last night and see 6 copies still in the racks. They'll probably be there next year.

Sadly no Patti Smith Hey Joe for me (13 copies on ebay of course) ... I'll do my best to cling on to life despite such calamities ...
    You could always pick up one of the copies which has been sitting on Discogs for years for about a fiver! Or was it just RSD that convinced you that you needed it?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    You could always pick up one of the copies which has been sitting on Discogs for years for about a fiver! Or was it just RSD that convinced you that you needed it?
    I want one with a pic sleeve. Cheapest is 7 quid in the USA. Add shipping to that, it starts to not make sense.

And yes, it was my decision not to queue from 5 a.m.

I used to have a copy with a white sleeve but that sleeve is a killer.

That's why ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

the sex pistols album shouldn't be £25.

the blog post above is good. its pushing independent labels down.

Was absolutely delighted to wander in to Tower Records last night and see 6 copies still in the racks. They'll probably be there next year.

Sadly no Patti Smith Hey Joe for me (13 copies on ebay of course) ... I'll do my best to cling on to life despite such calamities ...
    I know where there are several copies of the Patti if you want me to nip in for one?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Ahh, the moment when you find the Monk OST for a decent price in at Discogs, get sidetracked and see that its gone after 5 minutes..

So one German online-retailer is stating there is some kind of internal RSD guideline for waiting a week to sell leftovers online. Meanwhile another big online retailer had all leftovers up on Monday morning, as did lots of other international sellers. So much for that then..

I want one with a pic sleeve. Cheapest is 7 quid in the USA. Add shipping to that, it starts to not make sense.

And yes, it was my decision not to queue from 5 a.m.

I used to have a copy with a white sleeve but that sleeve is a killer.

That's why ...
    It was a fiver, but the plummeting pound had gone down another 2 quid between our posts

I really wanted Gilbert O'Sullivan - Himself, being the 50th anniversary edition and all as upon buying it I would have completed my collection of having every version of the seminal debut album and also because of the two hand written letters thanking me for purchasing his album, knowing that I would be touching a piece of paper that Gilbert himself would have been touching just makes me feel so........mmmmmmm......close but no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I know where there are several copies of the Patti if you want me to nip in for one?
    What an absolute gent you are, LDJB. That would be very much appreciated. I'll paypal you the money.

Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

did anyone get the sex pistols album? is it different mixes or the same mixes or earlier mixes?

this is the problem with RSD it draws you in as a collector

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    Did anyone pick up the Pink Floyd 12"? Any good?
    Yes but I haven't played it yet.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Please update when (/ if) you do. I'm not tempted enough yet to pay the €20-30 (+ postage) online. How much was the 12" on the day?
    Last edited by Hayes; 26-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Our old mate Shiftless When Idle works in Jumbo in Leeds and he said 'Barbie Girl' was flying out the door...

Let's face it - RSD isn't aimed at us, so let's just go to other shops on RSD day and leave it to the kiddiewinks, clueless hipsters, grippers & flippers and other assorted numpties who want to pay over the odds for nonsensical reissues!!
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Disk Union in Japan discounts the RSD stock that doesn't sell quickly
    I lived in Tokyo for a bit and try to get back every few years. I still have regular dreams about Disk Union!

This year for the first time in ages I actually bought a RSD release on Record Store Day!

It was a second hand test pressing of a Sun Ra RSD LP from a couple of years ago but it was from a shop on Berwick St so I reckon it still counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    Did anyone pick up the Pink Floyd 12"? Any good?
    Yes. It's bloody marvellous. I don't know which kiddies it was aimed at, probably too ancient for them, so I'll settle in with the clueless numpties who picked it up. The inverted snobbery on this board is really tiresome. No wonder people drift away and others are put off joining in.
    Obviously, if you are thinking about getting the 12", that's your bag. I'd say it's rawer, less messed about with than the lp version, which is indelibly printed on my brain. The lp version while fantastic (in my clueless opinion, so don't take too much notice) is a bumpy yet ultimately smooth trip. The RSD release is a full on hurtle through space as promised by the title. It's spiky, jagged, ragged, gets a bit Motorick before it's time in places. No need to guess where Rogers' head was at when this was being laid down. My kind of psychedelia. Scary, but rewarding if you chose to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Yes. It's bloody marvellous. I don't know which kiddies it was aimed at, probably too ancient for them, so I'll settle in with the clueless numpties who picked it up. The inverted snobbery on this board is really tiresome. No wonder people drift away and others are put off joining in.
    Obviously, if you are thinking about getting the 12", that's your bag. I'd say it's rawer, less messed about with than the lp version, which is indelibly printed on my brain. The lp version while fantastic (in my clueless opinion, so don't take too much notice) is a bumpy yet ultimately smooth trip. The RSD release is a full on hurtle through space as promised by the title. It's spiky, jagged, ragged, gets a bit Motorick before it's time in places. No need to guess where Rogers' head was at when this was being laid down. My kind of psychedelia. Scary, but rewarding if you chose to take the plunge.
    After reading that I think I'll go back for one!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Ah, looks like I'm going to have spuff on it too. How much was it in the stores? Doesn't seem to be available here.

I'd say pick one up while you can. If you don't get on with it, you'll be able to double your money in no time. Thinlk it was £16.99. Could be wrong because I bought a tea chest full of chud and I don't know what's what on the receipt,

Which Floyd 12 do you refer to Treeboy sir
    Because there was 2 right. Interstella and London 67.

I didn't participate this year so missed both of them alas

I didn't realise there were two. I was referring to the Interstellar one though. If Treeboy was talking about the same one then I'm definitely making it a priority when I've got the funds. A longer, rawer version of that tune should be right up my street. Thanks for the review, tb!

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Which Floyd 12 do you refer to Treeboy sir
    Because there was 2 right. Interstella and London 67.

I didn't participate this year so missed both of them alas
    Saddo that I am, I picked up both. The one sided 12" of IO is the one I was talking about. It puts me on edge a bit listening to it. I know the lp version so well, it's a bit like being dropped in a strange land with a few familiar features. Only one way to familiarize myself.