Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May 2017 Finds

Nice stuff Lee. Braced for round 2?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Nice to see a copy of Violent Femmes 'Hallowed Grounds' amongst that amazing haul. One of my favourite lps. Never seen a UK kraftwerk on spiral. Congratulations.

Couple of cheapies:

101 Strings - East of Suez Bit hit and miss on the whole but does have some good points but it was in decent condition and I cant resist Exotica albums especially for a quid but yep what you'd expect really orchestra covers of songs with an oriental theme 'in a persian market' etc so proto-exotica in a way or half in half lets say.

Donovan - Essence to Essence I have a love/hate relationship with Donovan and I tend to like other peoples versions of his songs but thought it might be interesting to see what he was up to in 73. It's the gatefold with the pullout intact and was minty. It was reading that and seeing Danny Thompsons name that drew me in. Any fans of the record? :

Edit: I like it, it's a grower. Has a couple of songs I loved off the bat, only criticism are some dodgy fade outs on some tracks. Its a great morning album to gently wake you up, massive flop at the time though I gather.
    Last edited by amidar; 21-05-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: thoughts

couple from yesterdays record fair

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post

Ooooo, interesting, Arabic music, something that has forever eluded me, the world sections in the local places contain plenty of music from most places in the world but rarely do I find middle eastern sounds, if ever.

Feel the same, cant resist picking them up when I do find any esp if its not the the standard belly dance stuff , sadly my memory's not what it used to be and found that I already had the Warda lp so if anyone's interested only too happy to trade that one for summat

The most interesting thing from last weekend's car booting. Found at the back of a box of uninteresting singles.

The coin is a 1966 Guernsey 10/- piece. Zero inflation in 51 years so it cost me 50p.
    I might get as much as £2 for it on 'bay + whatever £1000's the Guernsey Tom curiosity might add to the value

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Yep. They look great. Don't turn up even at record fairs around these parts.
    Are they as good as they look?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    Yep. They look great. Don't turn up even at record fairs around these parts.
    Are they as good as they look?
    Farid El Atrache is live so has too much audience clapping in it , but yes both good, someone selling a copy has uploaded soundclips of the Warda lp on discogs so you can get a bit of a listen

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6416745?ev=rb

Apologies for the lengthy, attention-seeking post. What can I say? I've been busy doing non-geeky stuff.

Anyway, usual drill with me, same old sources: Rob's Records, Anarchy, numerous charity shops and the odd bit of online temptation. Still putting in a lot of legwork, still feeling quite meagre out there though. Maybe I should get back into the car boot scene, but I physically can't seem to get up that early these days. So it goes....

This selection came from one of my Friday afternoon mooches into Rob’s Records. I suppose I could whittle myself wondering what’s in there earlier in the week, but I’m too fond of my end-of-working-week tradition!

Anyway, nice to have the Devo pic disc – angular new wave punkisms ahoy! Dave Evans is apparently a quite scarce bit of folk, not sure about it on first listen but, hey, voice and guitar didn’t do Nick Drake any harm and some of the tracks with femme vox backing sounded lovely.
    The Casuals needs a bit of TLC, but was cheap enough to take a punt. Doesn’t sound like my kind of thing though, bit too twee. The Standard Library has some dark John Carpenter-esque snippets on Side A, whereas Side B has some funky synth and beats tracks.

Nice to see the chazzas still turning up some of our much-loved building blocks. All these are spares by the way. Couldn’t very well leave them behind. If I ever list owt and mention that it’s spare, feel free to either offer me a random swop, or just wait for my next freebies purge. To be honest, even if I don't say it's a spare, I'm rarely THAT arsed about hanging on to stuff if someone else needs it more.

As above. Obviously, one of the Kiki Dee LPs is a spare and the other two here are also available (someone might want to trade for Mandingo, or just wait a while and it will end up in the freebies pile!).

Top pair here were from last Friday’s distracted meander round Rob’s Records. Faraway Folk was picked up as I recognised the label logo from a pretty decent folky rarity I got some months back. This one isn’t nearly as much cop (not even a quirky stab at ‘She’s Leaving Home’ can save it) and it’s in the ‘out’ pile to head down the market. Ron Steele’s ‘Chicago Guitar’ LP has a touch of the Dennis Coffey / Ventures about it, not had chance to really dig into it, but it sounded like £4 very well spent.

Toto was from an antiques centre and I needed it to replace my previous copy which didn’t make it back from a party in Brighton. ‘Georgy Porgy’ still sounds fantastic. At The Drive In are back and, though not the young prophets of rage that they used to be, still as good as anyone else out there. Fingers crossed they do other UK gigs beside Reading / Leeds.

Three from the evil Bay. Poppy Family had been on my Wants list for ages. This copy was listed as VG and priced accordingly. Think the seller must have had slightly rose-tinted specs on. Still, let’s see what PVA can do and hope that the tougher tracks can shine through. Gonzalez was bought from a seller who I’d been trying to buy summat else from. I was gazumped on the item I wanted, but browsed their other items and consoled myself with this one for a fiver. Nice UK afro / jazz / latin grooves - ‘Funky Frith Street’ is the one that used to drop in the 90s. And a Marc Bolan comp (from a previous RSD). I’d been watching some of the Born to Boogie stuff on YouTube and decided the vinyl was must. What a perfect pop star he was, just for those few years – proper lightning in a bottle. The band sound ace in this live setting (unsurprisingly, the 20.30 set is slightly superior).

Still keeping my eye in with the 80s 12”s. Maybe I’m going too mainstream, but after denying it for years (too closely associated with Scottish football on telly) going back to ‘Alive and Kicking’ you realise just what an epic anthem it is.

Some more chazza action. Couple of bits of WMS, nowt much to report on those – freebies pile methinks. Nice to see Sight & Sound as it’s one of those that doesn’t seem to be around as much these days (spare). And how random to see Can in Oxfam…………………in Ambleside of all places. Maybe there’s a secret Lake District cabal of Krautrock enthusiasts? This is a spare too though, so will probably get traded down the market.

Some random ones here. Top two came from Anarchy. Hadn’t seen the Ed Delaney for ages and the ‘Bracknell Breakdown’ is a free improvisation between trombone and double bass. I couldn’t leave that behind now could I? Maybe should have though. Waaaaaaay too avant garde for me. Bottom two came from a trip over to Langley Mill Records. Couldn’t find a great deal, so left with these two and the Au Pairs 12” from a few pics back. I’m sure folk off the Board know all about the Ted Atking – hadn’t realised just what a solid LP it is, barely a duff track, has to go down as one of my favourite finds of the year so far. The ‘Soccer’ LP is a set of disco jams, with umpteen soopah disco breaks.

And finally, three more chazza finds. Nice to find a sealed copy of our Amy in the BHF shop, think I’ll probably hang on to it. The Xavier 12” will probably be re-homed with my mate who likes a bit of electro / P-Funk / boogie. And the Mike Westbrook two-fer came from West Bridgford Oxfam and really saved my day when I’d been slogging round numerous chazzas for pitiful rewards. Thought I’d just stop off in Bridgford on the off chance on my way home and was rewarded with this long-time want. Ok, it wasn’t a quid, but I’m happy to pay the equivalent of the price of a new DVD and view it as a donation to a cause anyway.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Gotta love Devo, massive fan of that album!

Here's some 50p chazza finds from Oxfam that was closing down albeit most of the records had gone but I did get some deals the other week so cant complain and I did pick up a sleeveless copy of 'Meddle' which I've just slipped into my own copy, no idea of issue but it looks old and it's a good EX.

This is OK but not mindblowing from 1991. :

Old School:

Best find was from the charity warehouse lurking between a pile of Hansi and New Seekers records some decent Blues. Pye R+B Series UK issue. Well chuffed and no mistake.

Check out the crazy reverberation nearing the end on this the penultimate lush instrumental. :

Doing the rounds over the weekend I found that village car boots can turn up allsorts of unexpected goodies

including a fantastic score from one box alone, full of Indian records

My guess is that a relative had died as the 2 ladies getting rid of these just wanted shot of the lot for £20

The midweek lunchtime boot (when all the young, slim and beautiful people are probably still at work) turned up some nice things.

I'd never seen or heard of this before and in lovely condition too.

Not come across this 12" before either, but records by Northampton bands do turn up from time to time.

A nice old 78 and some curious 45's cropped up

Shame it didn't have it's original picture sleeve but I could hardly leave this now could I?

A couple of Christian sevens, love those titles!

I have many sports related records but this Rugby League EP was a fresh discovery : download Super Hull

In the same box was this IN YOUR FACE ROY CASTLE! reading stories on one side with his Christian mates doing likewise on the flip.

Well that's a bloody good haul. I never turn up interesting Indian records + what looks like a great era of Coltrane. I've never heard of it either.

Those 2 disco ones surely first on the deck?

I had a day out 'bimbling' on Friday. Hit some charity shops in local towns (as well as the traditional visit to Rob's Records), with pretty limited results.

These lot came from chazzas in one of Nottingham's satellite towns. The Saint-Preux is French prog (quite hard prog actually) with classical overtones and a marine theme. Bit too heavy on the guitar wig-outs for me, so will probably move it on down the market. Alan Tew comp to stick in my next freebies giveaway. Interesting Donovan covers set that I've never seen before - some ace versions on here. Haven't had chance to listen to Baja Marimba Band yet, but I've got another of theirs that I've hung on to, so fingers crossed.

As above, these were from a different satellite town. Top left is Xian, nowt much to report, but was only 20p, so no harm done. Thought the Dustin Gee might have some WMS mileage, but it's another destined for the freebies pile. Pleased to pick this Sergio Mendes up as it's eluded me in the wild ever since I started picking his back catalogue up. Obviously, the BBC Decimalisation LP is a bit random. What can I say? I was born as the changeover happened and picking up stuff like this is all Head Gardener's fault anyway. I'm sure one of you lot will want it next time I do a freebies thing anyway.

My eBay haul for the week. Wanted to get a cheap copy of 'Sulk' for a while, the seller had a few other 80s bits and the two 12"s were ones that my mate was after, so it made the postage cost-effective. Caved in and bought an RSD release after the event. I'm still gutted that I missed Iggy at Albert Hall (I went on holiday on the day of the gig - I'd probably have been frustrated on See Tickets site anyway, as I was with the Glasto tickets this year!). This was my treat for payday week. Trying to convince myself to resist buying 'Cracked Actor' though.

These were from Rob's. Barry James Music was pure VV/VG+ 'you never know' fodder. Didn't quite hit the spot for me, so it's nestled in the freebies pile. Nice Dexy's and Dusty comps - pure quality on both counts. Just can't mess with early Dexy's - I had 'Projected Passion Revue' on while I was cooking the other day, still sounds amazing.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Those 2 disco ones surely first on the deck?
    absolutely! and rather nice they are too - it would have been even nicer if this had been in the pile, but even I am not that lucky!

I dont know I think you were pretty lucky getting all those bollys for 20 quid, I'd have been chuffed to get them
    Last edited by reza; 28-05-2017 at 10:37 PM.