Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May 2017 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Result on the Zior, if you manage to get it, you may also like this, practically the same group -

https://www.discogs.com/Monument-The...elease/3577559
    I'll have a look at them Craig. Thanks.
    Are they all like devil worshipping satanists like or what ; )

Bootie yesterday

Hell Preachers Inc. ‎– Supreme Psychedelic Underground Marble Arch (10)
    James Brown ‎– Starportrait 2 lp box set. Never seen this before. Comes with booklet. Love the pic on the cover! Its on the front of the booklet too, would look nice framed. https://www.discogs.com/James-Brown-.../master/305317 (7)
    12" KCF with Skellaton- Taken to heart (Kold Sweat) (1) Britcore sampling Art of noise

Various vinyl finds in the past 7 days - I picked up a collection of "Gilles Peterson type stuff" after some chap phoned me up.

I have volume 1 and this is the other one, I don't think there is a third.

I guess the bestest bits were a pair of Moodymann releases, one twelve one + double album.

I'd not come across this US 7" before, it's nearly 20 years old!

I have the CD single of this somewhere, but this was a lovely 12" copy of one of the most beautiful versions of this tune.

soooo mysterious... and quite frankly after a while soooo annoying!

An early Bert album alas without it's original sleeve but still worth 50p to me, also in the same box another cheap treat.

A good addition to my flexi-discs collection as the copy I already have of this doesn't have this card backing, which to be honest it's pretty useless without.

I have cherry picked the stuff I have actually heard of or ones I didn't already have but have put 3 boxes of D&B and House 12"s
    in the shed which are available if anyone wants to come and collect the lot from me for £50 no haggling, I really can't be arsed to sort them!
    so pm me if you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    I have cherry picked the stuff I have actually heard of or ones I didn't already have but have put 3 boxes of D&B and House 12"s
    in the shed which are available if anyone wants to come and collect the lot from me for £50 no haggling, I really can't be arsed to sort them!
    so pm me if you can be.
    Not that I’m in a position to pick them up, so basically I’m just curious, but could you give an example of what Drum & Bass records are in those boxes?

90's and early 00's, there are as you see loads of them, but I just want shot - and yes they will end up in Red Cross if no-one wants them as an actual lot

Re - Dark Days Dj Shadow 45
    Its a great documentary if you have not seen it. Highly recommended.
    Dark Days is a documentary made by Marc Singer, a British film maker. The film follows a group of people living in an abandoned section of the New York City underground railway system, more precisely the area of the so called Freedom Tunnel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GePTt0t7e6o

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

I have volume 1 and this is the other one, I don't think there is a third.
    There were 16, plus various promos, best-ofs.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

First bootie for a good while for me this morning which yielded some interesting looking clubland stuff which is probably going to be terrible. First up a couple of door mat finds. :

Shawn Phillips - Spaced Gets quite a good rep on here in the past no doubt due to the Headhunters and its funky instrumentals. I thought this was an album proper which in a way it is but it's collated songs that he had done up until that point that hadn't made his previous albums so there are things on here from 1969 onward. It's obviously been remastered and tweaked around with as it all sounds coherent and has that late 70's sheen. Saw it pop up on ebay pretty cheap so I grabbed it as it seems to be the hardest to snag of his. This an undeniably awesome slab of mellow funk jamming with the Headhunters. :

Shawn Phillips - Furthermore I've been trying to do the albums in order kinda, spaced was a detour this was back on track following on from 'Bright White' I like it he's still quite folky here but just edging into fusion territory on some tracks which sounds cool and there is a weird backwards synthy bit where old tunes from his previous albums phase in and out of the music. I like. :

Charity shop find on the Joni and another copy of Jazz Samba which must be my third or fourth but this was another UK mono in excellent condition compared to the sandpapered one I booted years ago although even that sounded better than the repress I currently have. Oh yep another hit for Joni here.

Bought this for a quid the other day signed, what's to say? It's shite.

More Westwood stuff etc from the carboot which was 3 for a quid on vinyl so I went a bit mad on these next 6.

Will update my thoughts when I listen. Edit 1: The last one 'Face to Face - Turning to You' is quite nice, put a big fat smile on my face as opposed to a beetroot red scowl so it's passed my Xian test. Folky, Rocky with a naive charm although professional production. Nice review on ancient star who are down with all this stuff. : http://www.theancientstar-song.com/2.../face-to-face/ Edit 2: Who's have thought that record with the bloke fly fishing on it (a scottish headmaster no less) would be turd, well ti' true, it's rank marvin and no mistake.

Some chazza Xian from 1971 from the YMCA. Lovely femme vox with an early Joni vibe, a winner. :

Finally this OST from Oxfam which was a bit above charity prices especially for this branch but it is minty and looked fun. Davie Allen and his arrows featuring heavily if not on all of it and who I expect are the secretly named 'The Band Without a Name' who do the title track complete with drag racing noises. :

Last edited by amidar; 18-05-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: thoughts

There were 16, plus various promos, best-ofs.
    no way!? arrrrggghh!!!

I have been pretty jazzed up and funked out recently...or should that be jazzed out and funked up? I have bought a lot of jazz recently yes.

Minty Jimmy Smiths, cant go wrong for 6 quid a pop and the title track on virginia wolf is stormin'! Never seen the any number can win LP before but its a winner in parts for me.
    The Japanese version of Hair I have wanted for a long long time but i'm so underwhelmed, I didnt know what to expect though but the version of 3-5-0-0 is rubbish.
    Gil Evans LP is mega, I dont know why but I have always wrote this LP off whenever I saw it but this copy was pushed upon me so I bought it after giving it a quick needle drop.
    The Alphonso Johnson caught me by surprise too, some proper cosmic vibes going on here and some very cheesy moments too. I dig.
    Mint copy of the dramatics stone classic LP, always been after a clean one after I traded my trashed copy many moons ago.

The Don Ellis is interesting in parts and I love the track 'Euphoric Acid'.

The Lonnie Smith is crap jazz-funk cheesecore pants and Hank Crawford is meh. BE-BOP!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post

Edit 2: Who's have thought that record with the bloke fly fishing on it (a scottish headmaster no less) would be turd, well ti' true, it's rank marvin and no mistake.
    I got all excited when I saw the cover. I'm guessing he talks on it - B*mmer!
    I imagined just the sound of the reel, the plonk of the fly on the water, babbling brook, waterfowl, insects. If it had been just that it would have been a stone classic.

Today at the 2nd hand shop (which is a bit our of the way). I was there Monday and thought twice about a Suzi Quatro LP. Decided to go back today (it's closed on Tuesdays) and get it, and it had gone. These sneaky diggers are everywhere. Had to justify two journeys so bought this.

I am going to have to choose the right time to play this. The Mrs is out tomorrow night so that should be perfect.

Best Of British - Looking Out My Back Door. Includes plenty of covers - e.g. Run Around Sue, Spanish Harlem, You Make Me Feel Brand New, Big Seven(!). Back sleeve is pretty racy. It is also signed. The exact make up of this group is a bit puzzling, the listed personnel don't entirely match the signatures, and there are two ladies featured in the cover pics but only one listed (Bev Guyard, who seems quite versatile, as well as getting her kit off in the picture she plays guitar, sings, and is responsible for "other gutteral nises". I am building my anticipation up for this one.

Haha no boring Scottish Crooning like a poundshop Kenneth McKellar I'm afraid. Funnily enough I came across a Bob Nudd DVD box set in 'arthritis research' later on. I don't like fishing but I kind of like watching fishing programs on the box. I was obsessed with one called 'The Great Rod Race' for a time which followed the gentle antics of a brummie and his elderly friend and of course anything with 'John Wilson'. I need a life...

That looks interesting Candiman, I'm finding quite a bit on that label being sort of in the middle of the northern folk and country western/clubland scene, never seen that one though please let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by amidar; 18-05-2017 at 12:17 AM. Reason: context

I'd like to know if their version of Little Egypt is any good... the song fits in with the mood of the pictures if nothing else...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I am an occasional fisherman and always enjoy a fishing program. the one that will forever live in the memory is The Fishing Race broadcast by th BBC in the mid Seventies. The only people I can remember taking part were Clive Gammon and Gareth Edwards. The prize was the Golden Maggot. I seem to remember Gareth forgot to put the lid on his bait box properly one night in the camper van and the maggots got everywhere.

Will report back on the Best Of British.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

Best Of British - Looking Out My Back Door. Includes plenty of covers - e.g. Run Around Sue, Spanish Harlem, You Make Me Feel Brand New, Big Seven(!). Back sleeve is pretty racy. It is also signed. The exact make up of this group is a bit puzzling, the listed personnel don't entirely match the signatures, and there are two ladies featured in the cover pics but only one listed (Bev Guyard, who seems quite versatile, as well as getting her kit off in the picture she plays guitar, sings, and is responsible for "other gutteral nises". I am building my anticipation up for this one.
    I reckon Bev is a bloke (who was replaced by Tim Livehero5 by the time your record was signed) and the two women are models. This set-up often happens on Colombian and Venezuelan records , too, with the modelling agency often getting a sleeve credit.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I reckon Bev is a bloke (who was replaced by Tim Livehero5 by the time your record was signed) and the two women are models. This set-up often happens on Colombian and Venezuelan records , too, with the modelling agency often getting a sleeve credit.
    That makes sense. I will listen closely for female voices. I was especially looking forward to "her" guttural utterances too (whilst imagining what she might not be wearing )

I got all excited when I saw the cover. I'm guessing he talks on it - B*mmer!
    I imagined just the sound of the reel, the plonk of the fly on the water, babbling brook, waterfowl, insects. If it had been just that it would have been a stone classic.
    Click of bale arm.
    Swish.
    "Fuck"
    Frantic reeling. Sound of tree branch shaking with end tackle caught in it.
    "Come ON you fucker."
    Crack of line snapping.
    "Cockholes"
    Five minutes of insects, birdsong, tackle box rummaging, swearing as knot comes undone, humming of "Womaniser" by Britney Spears.
    Click of bale arm.
    Swish.
    Splash
    Tweet Tweet
    Buzz, chirp
    "Womaniser woman womaniser you're a womaniser."
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

after looking at the tracklisting on Discogs there is "The Fishin' Song" which does have some sort of angling noise throughout (the reel?)

still terrible though

Right, it has had a clean, and it has had a play

Thoughts
    1 It needs another clean (but its getting there).
    2 On first listen Summer In The City is the best track by a mile. Some proper electric guitar and really much more rocked and fuzzed out than anything else on the album. If I Promise had promise with a psychy organ flitting in and out but it tails off towards the end. This organ has some fleeting appearances elsewhere and should really have featured more.
    3 On the whole it starts in a poppy C&W vein but then sort of wanders around the genres from Big Seven on but is pretty lame really. Big Seven is fun, Shaving Cream is sort of cringeworthy (in the lyrics Shaving Cream = Sh*t, if it's a cover I don't know it).
    4 Little Egypt is not a stunning version (but then I didn't know this so I went to YouTube where I found the Coasters version. Probably unfair in comparing it to the Coasters).
    5 Babycart you are right, not a sniff of a female.
    6 Will get another play after another clean and on first listen is a keeper for Summer In The City, with If I Promise and Big Seven on the subs bench.

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    after looking at the tracklisting on Discogs there is "The Fishin' Song" which does have some sort of angling noise throughout (the reel?)
    Yep , a centre pin, so authentic fly fishing.

Right, it has had a clean, and it has had a play

Thoughts
    1 It needs another clean (but its getting there).
    2 On first listen Summer In The City is the best track by a mile. Some proper electric guitar and really much more rocked and fuzzed out than anything else on the album. If I Promise had promise with a psychy organ flitting in and out but it tails off towards the end. This organ has some fleeting appearances elsewhere and should really have featured more.
    3 On the whole it starts in a poppy C&W vein but then sort of wanders around the genres from Big Seven on but is pretty lame really. Big Seven is fun, Shaving Cream is sort of cringeworthy (in the lyrics Shaving Cream = Sh*t, if it's a cover I don't know it).
    4 Little Egypt is not a stunning version (but then I didn't know this so I went to YouTube where I found the Coasters version. Probably unfair in comparing it to the Coasters).
    5 Babycart you are right, not a sniff of a female.
    6 Will get another play after another clean and on first listen is a keeper for Summer In The City, with If I Promise and Big Seven on the subs bench.
    Thanks for this! Appreciate the effort...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Shaving Cream[/I] is sort of cringeworthy (in the lyrics Shaving Cream = Sh*t, if it's a cover I don't know it).
    Count your blessings. The original was on AM radio in the USA in the 70s, and is likewise dismal.

From the R&R slanted Record Fair in town last weekend. I go to dig for Soul but there is very little of that nowadays Every time I go I think it will probably be the last time as there seems to be no new sellers or stock, but of course I go again and always manage to find more worth picking up. Most of the records here I have probably flicked through many times before but each time I go I take a stack and listen on the portable and find something The prices get cheaper every time too which is a bonus.

The pick of the bunch here is The Vareeations – Foolish One. One of those play on repeat records.

Ventured to the Cheddar car boot on Sunday. My first time there, it's close to an hour's drive for me but I was dropping my daughter off at the airport for an early flight so was more than half way there. By far the biggest booter I have been to. Almost overwhelming, lots of interesting junk, but not many records (I didn't know the lie of the land, faces etc but was there early enough to think I didn't miss that much, could be wrong of course)

This was my meagre haul

The Dudley Moore Trio – Today. Lots of worthwhile tracks on this Waterloo being my favourite on first listen.
    Bryan Ferry – Another Time Antother Place. I remain a big fan of Roxy Music (first few albums especially) Have been gradually picking up Ferry's solo offerings in recent years This one is in great nick Some well known ones on here but hadn't heard his take on You Are My Sunshine before and I'm liking it.
    Tom Jones – I'll Never Fall In Love Again. Not one of his R&B monsters but great all the same.
    The BBC one is Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads theme. Aaah – nostalgia.
    The 78 is Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite Looks scuffed but hopeful it will not sound trashed. (I really must have a 78 evening soon).

A few from my recent 400 7s haul:

Masaaki Hirao 平尾昌章 Running Bear EA109 EP

Hiroko Ogi 扇 ひろ子 - 仁義 (Columbia - SAS 1283) 7", Single 1969

Chiemi Eri very early EP

Toshiyuki Miyama & New Herd Union Records US-663-J
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Ha, nice find bongo, I'm going to have to needle drop now and find out whether or not some tech savvy angler has overdubbed that reeling and a'casting noise(s). You get the idea with that record though and it got so bad I dared not venture on to side 2.

Cheers for your thoughts Candiman one for a future swap then I guess.

In other news I love that 'face to face' record I picked up. It's so cheesy Jesus it's infectious.
    Last edited by amidar; 19-05-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spellcheck

Selected highlights from what is turning into a good month!

Still don't believe this happened:

Boogie raer and a library in another charity

Bumped into a an old friend...'do you still collect records? I have a load I want to get rid of'. I took around 40 and going back next week. Indie classics a go-go! JD, MBV, the Fall, Stone Roses etc...

Fuz and I went for a dig in a lock up this week. Here are some of the highlights.

and here's a couple of other psychy things

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Sorry about the friggin' massive pics
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Phwoar!!!! Nice pair ................... of spirals!!
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

That Kraftwerk swirl for £1.99 is a mega steal, would love to find that to replace my perfectly fine spaceship.