• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daddy Ya Ya
    Lonely Jelly
    • Feb 2004

Cool unexpected British Jazz

....I dig Chris Barber's Battersea Rain Dance on Marmalade..Harriott an all plus The Spectacular Trumpet Of Kenny Baker - Decca Phase 4 - 'Soul Sauce' is mental...he musta bust some major blood veins playing like that ?!
    PHEW !!
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3
  • platerpus
    Ugly Custard
    • Oct 2004

Battersea Raindance is a quality album.Under rated.

Comment

• Grope
      Animated Egg
      • Jan 2004

I really like the Tony Lee - Electric Piano LP on Contour. Is it a common record in the UK? It was a big surprise to me. Exactly the kind of music I'm into lately.

Comment

• Lord Thames
        Lonely Jelly
        • Sep 2002

I've never seen that Tony Lee LP in fifteen years of charity shopping - everyone else has probably got at least three, though! Tony died not too long ago, I'm sorry to say.

I'm really enjoying that Kenny Baker LP at the moment too - if you like that, you might also like 'Dig It' by Shake Keane with the Ivor Raymonds orch and chorus; the version of 'Chain of Fools' is brilliant. Barry Morgan and Herbie Flowers in the rhythm section too.

Comment

• Daddy Ya Ya
          Lonely Jelly
          • Feb 2004

Not heard the 'Dig It' album, looks quite tasty though. I have the 'That's The Noise' album with Stan Tracey on it. 'Fidel' is the track that does it for me - beautiful stuff !!. He did an album on Pama, 'Rising Stars At Evening Time' which has some nice Exotica and Latin things on it - despite the presence of a Girl's School Choir !

Do you know the wonderful Johnny Keating and 27 Men 'Keating Sound' album on Phase 4 from 1964 ?. Front cover has Shake looking cool in shades in the centre of some serious players. Few amazing tracks on there - 'Baghdad Blues', 'The Sacrifice' and 'Night In Ancient Babylon'...WHOO !
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

Comment

• Matt Hero
            Electric Banana
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Grope
            I really like the Tony Lee - Electric Piano LP on Contour. Is it a common record in the UK? It was a big surprise to me. Exactly the kind of music I'm into lately.
            'Beverley' is the track on there isn't it ? It's one of the harder Contour ones to find I'd say.... not found one in a good long time now.
            Matt Hero

Comment

• Lord Thames
              Lonely Jelly
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Daddy Ya Ya
              Do you know the wonderful Johnny Keating and 27 Men 'Keating Sound' album on Phase 4 from 1964 ?. Front cover has Shake looking cool in shades in the centre of some serious players. Few amazing tracks on there - 'Baghdad Blues', 'The Sacrifice' and 'Night In Ancient Babylon'...WHOO !
              Oh yes - great cover, and a very unusual LP too! I thought that was Shake in the trumpet section, though I'm trying to identify who else is there - I've spotted David Snell, Barry Morgan, Basil Kirchin and I think the vibes player is Jim Lawless sans beard.

Comment

• Daddy Ya Ya
                Lonely Jelly
                • Feb 2004

maybe we should do a Sgt. Pepper type Who's Who ?!

Comment

• Lord Thames
                  Lonely Jelly
                  • Sep 2002

Good idea - I reckon I know someone who'd know who the rest of them are, though!

Comment

• Daddy Ya Ya
                    Lonely Jelly
                    • Feb 2004

Like you say such a great cover, not often you see the faceless world of session playing so well represented on an album sleeve - esp. so early.

I've probably mentioned this before, but a guy I know who's an old jazzer reckoned you couldn't join the Kirchin band unless you toked ...now THAT'S Jazz !!

Comment

• Little Jimmy Oddman
                      Plastic Waffle
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Matt Hero
                      'Beverley' is the track on there isn't it ? It's one of the harder Contour ones to find I'd say.... not found one in a good long time now.
                      Yeah, with the slightly out of tune organ. Agree, it is one of the rarer Contours - sure I've seen another recently though. If I see it again I'll pick it for you Lord T.
                      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• Lord Thames
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Sep 2002

Fab - thanks Jim! Got the LPs by the way - can you send me your address so I can bung you a cheque?

Comment

• Lord Thames
                          Lonely Jelly
                          • Sep 2002

I've probably mentioned this before, but a guy I know who's an old jazzer reckoned you couldn't join the Kirchin band unless you toked ...now THAT'S Jazz !!
                          It's a wonder they got any records made! I believe Johnny Patrick was involved with one or the other of the Kirchins in the 50s - he later went on to play the piano on Tiswas wearing a rubber pig mask....suddenly it all makes sense!

Comment

• Joe M'geek
                            Lonely Jelly
                            • Jul 2005

agreed! Recently rediscovered this album in the depths of the collection, and it's awesome
                            "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• SirSlim
                              Chocolate Rain
                              • Oct 2005

Big on the Brit Jazz front with me at the moment:

wives & lovers - shake keane

rustic gait - the bill le sage directions in jazz unit (what a great band name that is )

Comment

Working...
                              X