Thread: Sie's Finds - February 2006

Arrow Sie's Finds - February 2006

SIE VULTURE'S FEBRUARY 2006 CHART

... here are some of the records I bought back from Brazil and Argentina ...

Augustin Pereyra Lucena “Climas” (Tonodisc)

I think this is a good place to start as this record does best demonstrate the condition of the majority of records I was finding in the bookshops of Buenos Aires – battered sleeves, artists and labels you’ve never heard of before, song titles you do’t recognize – all adding up to interesting finds! If you like your Brazilian music on the light and breezy side, the Lucena is definitely your man – he delivers a top version of Joao Donato’s “Quem Diz Que Sabe” with some great jazz-flute over shuffling percussion and acoustic guitar strumming. Beautiful. The album ends with the harder, self-penned “Espontaneo” that is the total opposite of “Quem…” – hard percussion and aggressive guitar.

Paulinho De Viola “ (EMI Odeon)

I love finding these Brazilian EMI albums. The paper sleeves are totally encased in plastic – perhaps unique to Brazilian-issue records??? Anyway, this album continues in the same vein as our new friend above. Guitar-based light and breezy bossa jazz compliment Paulinho’s gentle vocals, with tracks like “Lamentacao” and “Para Nao Contrarair Voce” tending to the Easy side of the bossa spectrum. Fave pick is the beatier “Estao Mercado” with a bass-heavy intro percussion loop that’ll appear on the next J-Lo bootyshakin’ release I’m sure.

Escola De Samba Da Cidade “Batucada” (Trova)

Clatter, clatter, crash, bang, whallop. You either “do” Batucada music, or you don’t. It’s like Marmite, if you ask me… If you do dig this Latin American percussion music, then “Improvisaciones En La Batucada” should float your boat.

Secos & Molhados “self-titled” (Continental)

With a picture sleeve like that and a price tag of 5 pesos (about a quid..) there was no way that this LP was staying in the pile. What came back to England with me is an album of Crosby, Nash, Stills and Young style country rock, with occasional flourishes of proper rock… Hmm. Not good. But, I persevered and found “Amor” – a beatier, meatier and generally trippier affair. Nice. “Primavera Nos Dentes” is the bastard son of Neil Young’s “Cortez The Killer” and “Assim Assado” has a great intro of bass, drums and flute but sadly dies a death over 3 minutes as some terrible vocals spoil our funky party. Damn. So close!

Zimbo Trio “Zimbo Trio & Metales” (Fermata)

I’m reliably informed that the title translates as “Zimbo Trio With Horns” and, if not grammatically correct, the title is certainly musically accurate. A great album of mid-60’s trio jazz – drums, piano and double bass perfectly topped by a jazz horn section. It works so well on tracks like “Memorias De Marta Sare” with the horns complimenting the trio as the track builds and builds. Listening to this album makes me think of the Roy Budd Trio and the Dudley Moore Trio; Budd cited the Zimbo Trio as one of his major influences and I think this album demonstrates most accurately that that was indeed the case. Out of the 11 tracks on this LP, there really isn’t a duffer.

Zimbo Trio “Zimbo Trio & Cuerdas” (Fermata)

I actually found 3 Zimbo Trio LP’s in total. After the “…With Horns” LP, I think this album is also worthy of inclusion in this chart. More of the same really, just quality trio jazz. Plenty goodness on this, and the addition of a string section on tracks like “Januaria” will make you think of the piano trio compositions written by Dudley Moore for the “Bedazzled” soundtrack – brilliant.

Various “O Fino Da Bossa” (RGE)

A live compilation LP from 1989 – but my Portuguese is rubbish and I cannot tell if the recording ws made at a concert in the late 80’s to celebrate 30 years of bossa or is an issue of a concert recorded 30 years ago… Either way, it still makes for a damn good listen. The version of Jobin’s “Desafinado” by Wanda is beautiful, as is the 10-minute epic “Berimbau” by Oscar Castro Neves – complete with several mood changes as the track switches between quiet, slow somber sections and some bangin’ bossa sections. All complimented by plenty of strings, this is a true Brazilian epic.

MPB4 “Cicatrizes” (Philips)

I was able to catch a listen to some of the music of MPB4 from the late 70’s whilst driving around Campinas and, to be very honest; it didn’t really do much for me. But, when confronted by this 1971 album for a measly 700 Real (about a quid fifty) I guessed that this might be worth a punt. Well, it gets all a bit ‘Gypsy Kings’ in parts (please excuse the analogy!) but the opening “Agibore” has got enough funk and pace about it to carry your interest.

Nara Leao “Os Meus Amigos Sao Um Barato” (Philips)

Ian Townsend and I sat staring at this record for ages, at mine the other week... There’s not even any Portuguese for us to attempt to interpret, no info on the sleeve, nothing... I can’t tell you much about this, as I don’t know anything about it, other than its name, age and serial number. What you get is an album of beautiful, laidback jazzy grooves – think Astrud Gilberto and you are remarkably close. The vocal duo on “Odara” is pure class, complimented by some lovely electric piano. All of these element plus flute come together again on a cover of Donato’s “Amazonas” with the male/female vocal duet working together so well. Quality find!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Thumbs up

Some interesting looking stuff there,Sie...
    Particularly the first one by a rather youthful looking Peter Sutcliffe!
    stretchy eyes..........

Top chart, Sie, Agibore is a fu*king killer, play it in a club and watch the floor ignite, or maybe not as I've never played it out

Paper sleeves in plastic on lots of Latin stuff -Colombian records, for instance.

Thumbs up

Cheers for the comments guys - You're a bad man, DC!

Seriously tho' - loads of records look interesting in Brazil and Argentina... but which ones do you pick...??? ...

There were sooo many records by artists that I have never heard of on labels I have never heard of... definitely need to do my homework ahead of my next visit...!
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sie Vulture
    Seriously tho' - loads of records look interesting in Brazil and Argentina... but which ones do you pick...??? ...
    nice work soldier.i quite like the Secos & Molhados though i've not listened to the bugger for ages.
    which recs to pick? carry yer portable in a bag and get stuck in!

Quote Originally Posted by d-cee
    Some interesting looking stuff there,Sie...
    Particularly the first one by a rather youthful looking Peter Sutcliffe!

nice finds, Sie!

stick with Secos & Molhados “self-titled” (Continental), it's a grower, not brilliant, but there are two or three good tracks - fourth track on side 1 (don't have it to hand to check the title) has great bass n drums and is very groovy

MPB4 “Cicatrizes” (Philips) is definitely a one-tracker, but it's a great track - appeared on my VV summer swap 05, if i remember correctly!

Default Re: Nara

I have a 1964 Brazilian picture sleeve 45 by Nara. It has the same picture as her debut LP.

There is some info on her here http://www.slipcue.com/music/brazil/leao.html

Cherry Red released a CD by her on their el label ( not sure how to put the accent above the e )

Quote Originally Posted by vinylism
    ... stick with Secos & Molhados “self-titled” (Continental), it's a grower, not brilliant, but there are two or three good tracks - fourth track on side 1 (don't have it to hand to check the title) has great bass n drums and is very groovy
    That's the track I like! "Assim Assado" - vocals take a bit of the shine off it tho' IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by vinylism
    MPB4 “Cicatrizes” (Philips) is definitely a one-tracker, but it's a great track - appeared on my VV summer swap 05, if i remember correctly!
    Bloody hell - pay more attention, Watson!