• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bazooka joe
    Lonely Jelly
    • Dec 2005

OK, here's my story...

My old dj partner in Las Vegas, DJ John Doe, just released his third mix "Fused Funk Vol. III." I got it in the mail today and when I was done listening I had to call him to rap about it. It's just too goddamn good. He told me the story of the last track, (I'd like to tell you what it's called but he NEVER gives track info cuz he's an elitest secretive scumfuck) which aparently there were only 25 copies ever pressed of. It's some funk 45 that was recorded by a prison band from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and he owns the only known copy. He also told me that he spent a year and a half tracking down one meber of the band, who set him up with a reel to reel of the other four tracks they recorded. He sez only one other song is really good and DJ Shadow plans to release the one from the mix and the lone good track from the reel on a 45. The record was scored in Vegas for a measly $10.00 from a friend's record store.

Oh yeah, the song is D.O.P.E.

This comp is ridiculously ill. Nonstop, mixed seamlessly to perfection 100% RARE AS HELL FUNK. You can get it from Dusty Groove. Recommended.
    You Stink
  • Opiated-Black
    Animated Egg
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by bazooka joe
    My old dj partner in Las Vegas, DJ John Doe, just released his third mix "Fused Funk Vol. III." I got it in the mail today and when I was done listening I had to call him to rap about it. It's just too goddamn good. He told me the story of the last track, (I'd like to tell you what it's called but he NEVER gives track info cuz he's an elitest secretive scumfuck) which aparently there were only 25 copies ever pressed of. It's some funk 45 that was recorded by a prison band from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and he owns the only known copy. He also told me that he spent a year and a half tracking down one meber of the band, who set him up with a reel to reel of the other four tracks they recorded. He sez only one other song is really good and DJ Shadow plans to release the one from the mix and the lone good track from the reel on a 45. The record was scored in Vegas for a measly $10.00 from a friend's record store.

Oh yeah, the song is D.O.P.E.

This comp is ridiculously ill. Nonstop, mixed seamlessly to perfection 100% RARE AS HELL FUNK. You can get it from Dusty Groove. Recommended.

The group is called Upheavel and I've had a copy of the track (on CDR) for about two years. Mine did not come from your mate. It actually came from a casette that was acquired from a member of the band. You are right! 25 copies were pressed and what makes the story more interesting is that the band paid for it by scrimping the bread they made from pressing license plates or number plates if that's your thing. They were from Milwaukee and several of the band members are deceased. They actually did time in either Oshkosh or Fond du Lac from what I recall - most were doing life for murder.

Yes your mate is lucky because I genuinely think that most of the copies no longer exist. There is quite a nice ballad that they did plus some other psychy funk cuts that were on the casette. It is a killer track and so much more interesting than something like Hang Up! Milwaukee's a completely under-rated region for deep funk. Some absolutely mindblowing shit is from there.
    http://www.facebook.com/thegetdown

Comment

• urko
      Electric Prunes
      • Feb 2002

Anyone know of any UK stockist's? Google's not turned anything up and I'm getting sick of the overseas P&P
      For folks sake!

Comment

• Nick Cope
        Lonely Jelly
        • Feb 2003

Yeah, that Upheaval track is super-heavy alright. I thought Brent had already acquired the rights for releasing this? Hope John's mix doesn't interfere with that...

What else is on his mix? Do you have the tracklisting at hand?
        Last edited by Nick Cope; 07-05-2006, 03:24 PM.
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

• bazooka joe
          Lonely Jelly
          • Dec 2005

Sorry, like I said above, there's no tracklisting, but I promise you, it's stuff that (almost) none of us have

From dustygroove.com:

Various -- Fused Funk Vol 3 -- Mixed by DJ John Doe . . . CD . . . $7.99 (Item: 418308)
          Get Back Vegas, Late 60s/Early 70s Condition: New Copy View Cart View image
          A wicked mix of funky 45s and other funky bits -- all put together seamlessly by DJ John Doe, who's really got an ear for the material! Familiar tracks and rare gems line up nicely in the mix -- making for good interplay between known and unknown sides of the funky spectrum -- but served up in a no-notes format that's bound to keep the rare bits unknown! And while we always appreciate a bit of notes, we can also really dig this one as a hand-selected package of great bits put together by someone who really knows his stuff -- almost a personal letter from the frontlines of crate digging, a feeling that's held up by a few dropped in phone messages to Doe, asking him when his next mix is coming out!

And hey... I'm one of the phone messages!
          You Stink

Comment

• bazooka joe
            Lonely Jelly
            • Dec 2005

And hey, opiated Black... you must know "Big Tony" from Chicago, right? He's been to Vegas a couple times to spin John Doe's Get Back party, of which I was a founding member also. I didn't play the funk though. I was the "60's moron rock" guy
            You Stink

Comment

• Opiated-Black
              Animated Egg
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by bazooka joe
              And hey, opiated Black... you must know "Big Tony" from Chicago, right? He's been to Vegas a couple times to spin John Doe's Get Back party, of which I was a founding member also. I didn't play the funk though. I was the "60's moron rock" guy
              Met him once...interesting how the 45 made it out to Vegas. I know one band member claimed he had it framed or something and it was in his basement, but nothing came up there. I was aware of Doe's copy.

There's a project in these parts that's been in the works for the last couple of years that is supposed to feature the Upheavel track. And yes Nick, all legit I think.

Keep ya minces peeled.
              http://www.facebook.com/thegetdown

Comment

Working...
              X