Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ebay sellers, what do you think??

As a seller I always leave feedback when I've sold an item. As a buyer I only ever return feedback.

As a seller I've one negative which was from someone who tried to renegotiate the price after he'd received an item. Annoyingly, he was german and had private feedback with a quite a few negatives and I suspect that he does this with quite a few high value items but you just can't see. Private feedback irks me.

At the end of the day though it's only one neg amongst hundreds of positives. People can see that I'm an honest seller and they can see that he's (probably) a less honest buyer. I was able to book a holiday for me and the (then) missus with the 750 that I sold the computer game for with a clear conscience

WF

FREE BELFAST BUT CITIZEN OF THE WORLD DADDIO........................................................

Quote Originally Posted by Joe M'geek
    is able to understand that I, unlike some record dealers, have a life

!
    word.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Don't buy records from me, then- end of story. I'm honest about it, therefore there is no problem from anyone bar the illiterate. I've got 99.9% feedback (one neg detailed earlier), and luckily enough almost everyone in the ebay community I've dealt with is able to understand that I, unlike some record dealers, have a life

PS- why is someone who swaps money for a record a 'so called record seller'. At the end of the day, grading a record and selling it for money isn't rocket science, and I, and many other people who sell records on the 'bay who wouldn't meet your criteria do a darned sight better job at it than tonnes of so called 'professional' sellers. I've had many more skimmed and overpriced, overgraded records from 'professional record dealers' at record fairs than off the bay!
    actually it was the fact that you were calling your buyers "whinging mofos" that didn't come across too well.but,heh,if they can't read properly,fuck 'em,right?

swapping records for money is in plain language 'selling records'. a person who sells records is in plain language called a 'record seller'.no i agree,rocket science isn't involved.since you've used 'my criteria' in your argument i wonder if you'd be so good as to tell me exactly what 'my criteria' are?
    if you set yourself up online to sell records then you are suggesting to the buying public that you know roughly what you are doing.just the same as if you were to set up a tuck shop in the school playground your mate would assume that you know the difference between a mars bar and an out of date tube of smarties...

Quote Originally Posted by platerpus
    if you set yourself up online to sell records then you are suggesting to the buying public that you know roughly what you are doing...
    Not on ebay though surely - caveat emptor made flesh. But you're quite right, you've got the same statutory rights on ebay as you do in HMV.

Quote Originally Posted by taiconderoga
    I sold a rare $200 pokora album. I've just received a message from the buyer saying the record has a skip on one track, he tells how he has played it on two different turntables, changed the weight, etc but it still skips and he wants to send back the record to check out and a refund. I'm 100% sure it doesn't skip, I've played it many times without any problem. I've already left positive feedback for him, same day I received the payment.

So, what would you do?? If I don't take back the record and don't make a refund, he could left me a negative. In the end , I've told him to send back the record and I'll make a refund minus postage.

this has been happening more and more to me, so iv'e decided to somehow 'mark' the vinyls before sending - i was thinking one of those pens that can only be seen with ultraviolet light. I have a feeling some buyers are using ebay to upgrade copies of lps they already have.

Lets pull out all the other ebay-gripes. Surely there's some we've missed.

Like the tosser in Germany who just told me he doesn't care if the record hasn't turned up as its none of his business. On the same day I refunded a seller for a german lp that never arrived. It's not like we haven't done that one before. And to tie it in he has left me positive feedback already so I can happily neg him if he doesn;t pony up.

On the original point I'm conceptually with Rich that the seller should leave feedback first, of course thats open to abuse but I reckon sellers have more scope than buyers to abuse things.

And even more so with Sarge - online buying has revolutionised both what I can get and allowed me to sell a bunch of crap records to pay for it. Brilliant. Not going to let a few bad experiences sour me on what has been overwhelmingly positive.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Quote Originally Posted by iueke
    this has been happening more and more to me, so iv'e decided to somehow 'mark' the vinyls before sending - i was thinking one of those pens that can only be seen with ultraviolet light. I have a feeling some buyers are using ebay to upgrade copies of lps they already have.
    I heard somebody at the Lancaster Catholic record fair brag about doing just this. And the dealer he was talking to gave him a high-five!

FREE BELFAST BUT CITIZEN OF THE WORLD DADDIO........................................................

ebay aint so bad ya?.............ahem.
    http://cgi.ebay.nl/PCP-Longsleeve-sh...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by SARGE; 09-05-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9

actually it was the fact that you were calling your buyers "whinging mofos" that didn't come across too well.but,heh,if they can't read properly,fuck 'em,right?
    Um, yes, that's right. If someone can't be arsed to read my perfectly reasonable auction conditions, indeed, fuck them, like I said, 99% of people are normal well adjusted adults who don't have a problem, but you do get some gimps wth a chip on their shoulder.

swapping records for money is in plain language 'selling records'. a person who sells records is in plain language called a 'record seller'.no i agree,rocket science isn't involved.since you've used 'my criteria' in your argument i wonder if you'd be so good as to tell me exactly what 'my criteria' are?
    if you set yourself up online to sell records then you are suggesting to the buying public that you know roughly what you are doing.just the same as if you were to set up a tuck shop in the school playground your mate would assume that you know the difference between a mars bar and an out of date tube of smarties...
    I do know exactly what I'm doing. I grade, I get the money I post the record when my schedule allows. I don't lie about the time it might take to post a record and pretty much no-one has a problem with that, except, seemingly yourself.

It's your hang up that ebay is populated with loads of people selling records who don't know what they are doing...and frankly I think that's ridiculous, sour grapes born out of the fact dealers can't sell common records for £££ any more.

i don't know what your criteria is, perhaps YOU can tell me...it's you making a distinction between people who flog records on ebay, and record dealers...implying that you somehow get a better service off a 'pro'
    Last edited by Joe M'geek; 09-05-2006 at 04:39 PM.
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
    Not on ebay though surely - caveat emptor made flesh. But you're quite right, you've got the same statutory rights on ebay as you do in HMV.
    are you sure? i thought that eBay transactions were not (even in the case of UK-UK vendor-purchaser instances) covered by the Sale of Goods Act. there might be remedies through the common law, but then, it has been 12 years since i left law behind, so that could all be total bollocks.

Well, if the person selling is a 'trader' or a 'business' - which they have to disprove if you suggest it - then Sale Of Goods Act does apply and the goods have to be 'fit for purpose' (ie bragging about online).

If its a private seller it doesn't apply but there may well be remedies under contract law (especially if the seller has stated things about the record). I'd love to see the small claims court give a definition of 'near mint'...

Um, yes, that's right. If someone can't be arsed to read my perfectly reasonable auction conditions, indeed, fuck them, like I said, 99% of people are normal well adjusted adults who don't have a problem, but you do get some gimps wth a chip on their shoulder.

I do know exactly what I'm doing. I grade, I get the money I post the record when my schedule allows. I don't lie about the time it might take to post a record and pretty much no-one has a problem with that, except, seemingly yourself.

It's your hang up that ebay is populated with loads of people selling records who don't know what they are doing...and frankly I think that's ridiculous, sour grapes born out of the fact dealers can't sell common records for any more.

i don't know what your criteria is, perhaps YOU can tell me...it's you making a distinction between people who flog records on ebay, and record dealers...implying that you somehow get a better service off a 'pro'

i know somebody who can't read.he can read basic stuff but only very basic,does that make him a cunt? he's perfectly well adjusted and one of the nicest blokes i know.

i have no problem with you selling records on ebay.i merely pointed out that by saying "fuck anyone who has a prpblem with me taking 10 days to post out records and fuck anyone who can't read" was maybe a little on the harsh side and that it doesn't seem like a very good customer service.just my opinion and i thought i'd share it with you.

i'm in no way hung up on the fact that ebay is full of people selling records who don't know what they're doing.i buy from them regularly and have no gripes as i make quite good money from them.i was trying to suggest that if the 'ebay climate' was a bit different than it currently is then maybe there would be less 'thieves' making claim backs etc.

as for 'my criteria' of what makes a record seller a record seller ity's simply that they sell records either online or offline.again,you seem to have misunderstood my point here,you were using 'my criteria' in your argument to try to show that i am wrong and you are right.you did this without knowing what my criteria were.this is generally the kind behaviour displayed by insecure folk who will simply bullshit in order to try to win an argument.again,just my personal observation.in fact,now you claim it's me making the distinction between record dealers and those who sell on ebay.but it was you asking me why "swapping records for cash on ebay" meant you were a record seller.is this not making a distinction?

Sorry guys, but as a regular seller (not just records) i now will not leave feedback unless the buyer does so for me first. I`ve been caught out a good few times now by buyers (usually new users with just a couple of feedbacks) who leave unwaranted negs.

It`s also a good way of know that your item was delivered safely. Once they leave feedback you know they have it, and so can throw out your proof of postage reciept.

saying "fuck anyone who has a prpblem with me taking 10 days to post out records and fuck anyone who can't read" was maybe a little on the harsh side and that it doesn't seem like a very good customer service.
    I just can't be arsed to get it together to post stuff until about ten days after the auction finishes...I warn people about this in my listings, but you still get the odd mofo who whinges.
    There's a definite difference there...What I said was reasonable, and your objection involves a whole load of your own 'issues' and wilful misreadings being added to that.

now you claim it's me making the distinction between record dealers and those who sell on ebay.
    What, like here?

the biggest problem with ebay isn't the so called 'thieves' buying records and demanding refunds.....it's the large number of so called 'record sellers' who have no idea what they're doing.
    Your attitude gets my goat- there's an implication behind everything you say on this matter, that there's some special qualification you only deserve if you're a 'proper' record dealer.

i know somebody who can't read.he can read basic stuff but only very basic,does that make him a cunt? he's perfectly well adjusted and one of the nicest blokes i know.
    Yes, that's exactly what i said. All illiterate people are cunts.

but it was you asking me why "swapping records for cash on ebay" meant you were a record seller.is this not making a distinction?
    Again, you're talking guff. I made the point that the act of swapping cash for records makes you a record seller, not a 'so called record seller' as you put it. No dark magic, no years of involved training, just taking yer fifty pee and handing over the plastic
    Last edited by Joe M'geek; 09-05-2006 at 06:14 PM.
    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Quote Originally Posted by SARGE
    ebay aint so bad ya?.............ahem.
    http://cgi.ebay.nl/PCP-Longsleeve-sh...ayphotohosting
    Sarge, how the hell did you find this? You weren't looking for a long-sleeve shirt were you?

I just can't be arsed to get it together to post stuff until about ten days after the auction finishes.
    Rank Amateur...

perhaps you're right overall,i dunno.i don't care.but you're wrong about several points,none of which i can be bothered to go into because you've already decided you're right.
    but i will say that i don't give a flying shit who sells what on ebay.it annoys me when record dealers are constantly slagged off and yes i do think that ebay has probably contributed to that general negative attitude towards dealers.it doesn't bother me a lot,just a bit.

There's a definite difference there...What I said was reasonable, and your objection involves a whole load of your own 'issues' and wilful misreadings being added to that.

What, like here?

Your attitude gets my goat- there's an implication behind everything you say on this matter, that there's some special qualification you only deserve if you're a 'proper' record dealer.

Yes, that's exactly what i said. All illiterate people are cunts.

Again, you're talking guff. I made the point that the act of swapping cash for records makes you a record seller, not a 'so called record seller' as you put it. No dark magic, no years of involved training, just taking yer fifty pee and handing over the plastic

I have to get Adam's back here, Joe. He's a professional record dealer; I'm a professional bookseller. That does actually mean something, and it IS irritating that the Internet has devalued that by allowing anybody with some records or books to sell to lay claim to those titles. You seem like a very reasonable man: just put yourself in our shoes for a moment.

If making your rent depended on it, you'd send those packages sooner. And if making your rent depended on it, you'd pay even closer attention to the market than I suspect you do now. And you'd cultivate an interest in areas of music that you perhaps weren't really feeling, because the market isn't always going to let you get away with selling only what you like, at least not until you've been at it so long you've become... a professional. And even then you have to be flexible... Plus you'd spend a lot more time listening, not to the music you feel like hearing just then, but the records you need to hear so you can describe them or grade them. And so on.

In my own trade I've seen several collectors try to sell off their libraries only to make a huge fucking mess of it.

If the professor next door puts his library up for sale on-line, he's not a bookseller. He's a man selling some books.
    Last edited by beddoes; 09-05-2006 at 09:23 PM.

i have no problem with you selling records on ebay.i merely pointed out that by saying "fuck anyone who has a prpblem with me taking 10 days to post out records and fuck anyone who can't read" was maybe a little on the harsh side and that it doesn't seem like a very good customer service.just my opinion and i thought i'd share it with you.
    Word
    It`s people like that who give ebay a bad name. If someones paying you money for goods, they expect and deserve a modicom of cutomer service, regardless of the seller being a pro or amateur. Sending out the goods only when you can be arsed is a disgrace. As soon as the payment has cleared the seller should be posting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teessider
    As soon as the payment has cleared the seller should be posting them.
    or as soon as you can ge to the post office.
    which i cant untill saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by beddoes
    Sarge, how the hell did you find this? You weren't looking for a long-sleeve shirt were you?
    yes, yes i was looking for a long-sleeve t-shirt, that is quite correct in every way.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9

Word
    It`s people like that who give ebay a bad name. If someones paying you money for goods, they expect and deserve a modicom of cutomer service, regardless of the seller being a pro or amateur. Sending out the goods only when you can be arsed is a disgrace. As soon as the payment has cleared the seller should be posting them.
    Does that happen in the real world ??

There's loads of "proper businesses" that still use the old adage

- "allow 28 days for delivery"
    or
    - "allow 10-15 working days for processing"

At least the guy gives a clear prior warning - and ten days isn't that bad at all.

If you are buying from anything from ebay - you have to accept that you are dealing with individuals and not businesses - so you have to give them some more slack.

In summary - if I am buying direct from a dealer / shop, then I will expect a quicker turnaround than buying anything on ebay (although some ebay sellers are very quick - but i treat that as a bonus, not a normal expectation)

I've had plenty of people mail me within two days of an auction ending wanting to know why their CD hasn't turned up.

They are always english.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Quote Originally Posted by Si Cheeba
    Does that happen in the real world ??

There's loads of "proper businesses" that still use the old adage

- "allow 28 days for delivery"
    or
    - "allow 10-15 working days for processing"

At least the guy gives a clear prior warning - and ten days isn't that bad at all.

If you are buying from anything from ebay - you have to accept that you are dealing with individuals and not businesses - so you have to give them some more slack.

In summary - if I am buying direct from a dealer / shop, then I will expect a quicker turnaround than buying anything on ebay (although some ebay sellers are very quick - but i treat that as a bonus, not a normal expectation)
    The "Allow 28 days for delivery" thing is to cover themselves in case the product is out of stock and they need to re-order. Any goods listed on ebay should be in the sellers possesion so that shouldn`t apply.

If i pay for an item on ebay, then i would expect it to be on it`s way to me as soon as payment cleared. If thats not possible for the seller, then they should clearly state that, to give the buyer the opportunity of going elsewhere.

If i pay for an item on ebay, then i would expect it to be on it`s way to me as soon as payment cleared. If thats not possible for the seller, then they should clearly state that, to give the buyer the opportunity of going elsewhere.
    That's what Joe M'geek said he did, to be fair.

do unto others and all that.
    but i hate buyers who give you the shit when you've been strung out for 2 weeks flat. don't these people understand i have drugs and door money to take....sheeesh
    or maybe i've been trapped down a disused mine shaft for 9 days livin' offa rain and bird shite.

I'M NOT A FUCKING JUKEBOX!!!

sorry.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9

Default grrrrr

i don't think it's unreasonable to allow for a delivery period of say, two weeks from payment. even paypal takes time for the funds to clear into a bank account.

two things which do irk me on eBay though :

1. buyers who persist in asking why they haven't received their item the day after they won it, even when i make it clear to allow for a week or so (including postage times). if you want next day delivery, buy off amazon, you cheap f**kers.

2. sellers who have no life and think packaging a record is a test to qualify for the krypton factor. why is it necessary to completely wrap the package in several different types of masking tape? AND seal the record in a plastic poly bag (sealed with sellotape), which, in turn, is taped to the inside of the packaging at all four corners. the result is me minus two digits, with a room full of sellotape, and a scratched record sleeve because i end up hacking at the packaging like a five year old out of sheer bloody frustration.

there, i feel better now i've got that off my chest. thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylism
    i don't think it's unreasonable to allow for a delivery period of say, two weeks from payment. even paypal takes time for the funds to clear into a bank account.

two things which do irk me on eBay though :

1. buyers who persist in asking why they haven't received their item the day after they won it, even when i make it clear to allow for a week or so (including postage times). if you want next day delivery, buy off amazon, you cheap f**kers.

2. sellers who have no life and think packaging a record is a test to qualify for the krypton factor. why is it necessary to completely wrap the package in several different types of masking tape? AND seal the record in a plastic poly bag (sealed with sellotape), which, in turn, is taped to the inside of the packaging at all four corners. the result is me minus two digits, with a room full of sellotape, and a scratched record sleeve because i end up hacking at the packaging like a five year old out of sheer bloody frustration.

there, i feel better now i've got that off my chest. thanks for your time.
    TRUE in both cases.

Do these buyers that want the item sent the same second they pay - always pay on the very minute the auction finishes???

As sarge says - peeps have other s**t to deal with - either as a buyer or seller - so a bit of time allowance to arrange payments should be given on one hand - whilst a "fair" time for arranging delivery on the other.

And what a crap argument about buying something from a shop - and they have to order it in - after they take my money. So that means they can take 28 days and that's OK !?

Surely that's even worse !! - compared to an individual who's frankly probably got more important things to do than drop everything and wait around to be ready to post someone's records the split second they receive payment.

I would have thought going through a number of sales on a weekly or fortnightly basis is easier to organise and keep track of - thereby resulting in a BETTER SERVICE than an ad-hoc approach.

I don't sell much at all on ebay - but I can imagine how much a pain in the arse it can be with the attitudes that some buyers have. Jeez - take a chill pill guys!

Here's an example from the bookselling world of a crazy customer:

I sold a nice early 20th century novel with a VERY tatty dustwrapper. I described the book as near fine cloth, not bothering to mention the dustwrapper, which I figured the buyer could either try to preserve or else simply throw away. A week later I received an irate e-mail from the customer: the dustwrapper is worn and stained and missing a piece. I pointed out that he thought he was buying a book WITHOUT a dustwrapper. He e-mailed back that this was beside the point -the dustwrapper was in awful shape. Sir, I replied, if you THROW AWAY the dustwrapper you will have the very book you ordered...

This went on for days...

excellent...it's like the comedy scene where a guy doesn't want mayo on his sandwich - but the waitress says they are out of mayo anyway - so can he have it without mustard. No way - says the guy. I only want it without mayo !