Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: ebay sellers, what do you think??

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si Cheeba
    excellent...it's like the comedy scene where a guy doesn't want mayo on his sandwich - but the waitress says they are out of mayo anyway - so can he have it without mustard. No way - says the guy. I only want it without mayo !

    jack nicholson in five easy pieces...
    when they stop off at the diner after picking up the hitchhikers...

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    little rooms
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by platerpus
    jack nicholson in five easy pieces...
    when they stop off at the diner after picking up the hitchhikers...
    I'd like an order of toast...

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    down south where they use the slide machine...
    Posts
    9,342

    Default

    I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    little rooms
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton
    I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
    But he's after toast, if I remember rightly. So he asks to have the chicken salad left off, too.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    down south where they use the slide machine...
    Posts
    9,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beddoes
    But he's after toast, if I remember rightly. So he asks to have the chicken salad left off, too.
    you want me to hold the chicken?

    I want you to hold it between your knees.


    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    little rooms
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton
    you want me to hold the chicken?

    I want you to hold it between your knees.


    Lately I've wondered how good that film really is. For years I loved it, but revisiting it a couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find myself disapproving of both its rote anti-establishment sentiments and, especially, its misogyny and juvenile glorification of loneliness.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beddoes
    Lately I've wondered how good that film really is. For years I loved it, but revisiting it a couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find myself disapproving of both its rote anti-establishment sentiments and, especially, its misogyny and juvenile glorification of loneliness.
    amazing film.
    saw it again a few weeks ago for the first time in a few years and i'd forgotten the ending...very sad film,to my mind it's not glorifying the things you mention,quite the opposite.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    little rooms
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by platerpus
    amazing film.
    saw it again a few weeks ago for the first time in a few years and i'd forgotten the ending...very sad film,to my mind it's not glorifying the things you mention,quite the opposite.
    I used to feel the way you do. But now I'm convinced that virtually every film I've ever seen about loners glorifies their loneliness. I wrote an essay last year about the difficulties in depicting loneliness in art, and I focussed specifically on film --how, problematically, there's always a sympathetic, intimate viewer "present", wch introduces into the scenario precisely what cannot exist there. The real horror of loneliness is that nobody is watching and identifying and sympathizing with you. Most of the time you simply don't exist for other people. But a lonely man in a film ALWAYS exists for the viewer...

    Probably bullshit, but it got something out of my system...
    Last edited by beddoes; 10-05-2006 at 11:23 PM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beddoes
    I used to feel the way you do. But now I'm convinced that virtually every film I've ever seen about loners glorifies their loneliness. I wrote an essay last year about the difficulties in depicting loneliness in art, and I focussed specifically on film --how, problematically, there's always a sympathetic, intimate viewer "present", wch introduces into the scenario precisely what cannot exist there. The real horror of loneliness is that nobody is watching and identifying and sympathizing with you. Most of the time you simply don't exist for other people. But a lonely man in a film ALWAYS exists for the viewer...

    Probably bullshit, but it got something out of my system...
    too philosophical for me i'm afraid! art requires an observer in order to exist as art right? otherwise it's just some kind of personal journey.
    you could say the same for any character in any film? not just a lonely character.art will always be influenced by the fact that it's designed to be viewed by an outsider...is this what you're saying?
    but how can you focus that argument specifically on the portrayel of loneliness in film? it applies across the board.
    you can't say,no,this can't be accurate because the guy acting this character knew he was being observed...

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    little rooms
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by platerpus
    too philosophical for me i'm afraid! art requires an observer in order to exist as art right? otherwise it's just some kind of personal journey.
    you could say the same for any character in any film? not just a lonely character.art will always be influenced by the fact that it's designed to be viewed by an outsider...is this what you're saying?
    but how can you focus that argument specifically on the portrayel of loneliness in film? it applies across the board.
    you can't say,no,this can't be accurate because the guy acting this character knew he was being observed...
    It's hard to compress my argument into a paragraph... I'll send you the whole seventeen page essay, Adam!

    Don't worry, I'll use it to cushion the records...

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si Cheeba
    TRUE in both cases.


    And what a crap argument about buying something from a shop - and they have to order it in - after they take my money. So that means they can take 28 days and that's OK !? !
    It`s not an arguement, it`s a fact. Mail order companies always state allow 28 days for delivery, to cover themselves in case they are out of stock. I`m not saying it`s ok, but it`s what happens. If you read ebay rules, you should not list items which are not in your possession, so this shouldn`t apply to ebayers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Si Cheeba
    I don't sell much at all on ebay . !
    You don`t say
    Last edited by Teessider; 11-05-2006 at 08:52 AM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Left Of Lakenham
    Posts
    817

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by beddoes
    I don't care if a seller leaves me feedback. Some will, some won't -as long as some do, and it's good, why get your panties in a bunch?

    But as a sometime seller myself I wonder about all you folks who demand instant feedback simply for paying. How many threads need to be started about fraudulent chargebacks and the like before it's crystal clear that ebay is throbbing with thieves and charlatans?
    Too true!, my bastard huge chargeback happened 46 days after the transaction, & thankfully it gave me the opportunity to leave the scamming twunt negative feedback & include his name so everyone can google him, although I reckon he'll just change his ID....arghhhh I'm beggining to really hate Ebay!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pittsville Direkt
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Rather than start a new thread for a trivial query about an ebay seller I thought I'd put it here.

    Has anyone come across this seller vinool-uk?

    They are based in Germany are registered to a German address yet I can never filter them out on a UK only search. I've not dealt with them and their feedback looks OK so not a criticism or comment on how legit they are as I have no idea. I'm just interested in how they bypass that filter?

    Here's an example of a listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jefferson-...YAAOSwrddY76u6

    Do a search for that record as an example and tick 'uk only' it will still come up and not under 'international sellers'

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Rather than start a new thread for a trivial query about an ebay seller I thought I'd put it here.

    Has anyone come across this seller vinool-uk?

    They are based in Germany are registered to a German address yet I can never filter them out on a UK only search. I've not dealt with them and their feedback looks OK so not a criticism or comment on how legit they are as I have no idea. I'm just interested in how they bypass that filter?

    Here's an example of a listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jefferson-...YAAOSwrddY76u6

    Do a search for that record as an example and tick 'uk only' it will still come up and not under 'international sellers'
    Ive come not come across this particular seller but I have come across a couple of others who I cant filter out using the UK only option, some sellers offer that "Services from outside the UK"

    Maybe they have a warehouse or shop based somewhere and they liaise with them in the UK or something.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pittsville Direkt
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    I don't know mate it's a weird one. I usually manage to filter out those drop ship type places on other things like electronics etc because they usually have a non uk address like this seller. Just curious as I've never come across it before it doesn't seem widespread or it would be annoying as.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nederland
    Posts
    529

    Default

    If you look at the Postage & Payments tab, the item location field is:

    Item location: DE, United Kingdom

    So that's why his items show up in UK only searches. It's probably a fault in ebay's system. DE is the country code for Germany, obviously. Its possible ebay impose the United Kingdom bit and he can't get rid of it. For exampe, he may have signed up to ebay in the UK, then moved to Germany, and then run into this problem/anomoly when he tried to change his location. This is just a guess, I don't know this for sure. I've had similar problems with ebay, Paypal and Netflix when moving around.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Not sure if this is linked but when I signed up to EBay many moons ago and started using Turbo Lister to sell items I chose to do this on eBay.com rather than uk. Can you still do that? If so this might be what this seller has done.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pittsville Direkt
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    I've not used Turbo Lister for many years so wouldn't know on the .com suggestion. I remember it used it to be very handy especially in regard to pictures but now ebay let you upload up to 12 it's become pretty redundant as far as I can see although if you are used to it and have lots of templates saved I remember it being great for bulk listing.

    Miles suggestion makes sense as I think if it was an easily executable flaw you would have thousands of Chinese sellers doing it to fool you into thinking you were ordering from the UK and cluttering up every category going. An unavoidable glitch involving the seller moving and ebay being useless at migrating their account details to a new country does seem a good explanation these faceless online behemoths with their automated customer support have form. I have a not dissimilar issue with Paypal that has gone on for years that I've given up trying to sort out.

Similar Threads

  1. Boring thread about PayPal ignoring sellers
    By kikat in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-08-2005, 03:36 PM
  2. Sellers on CD & LP?
    By Palma Rubia in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-07-2005, 04:54 PM
  3. Ebay
    By theeman in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-10-2004, 11:25 AM
  4. Ebay sellers: weird messages from ebay users
    By taiconderoga in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:57 PM
  5. Ebay help...
    By Rich Hero in forum Let's Get Stuck Into The Music
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-03-2004, 05:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •