Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ebay sellers, what do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by Si Cheeba
    excellent...it's like the comedy scene where a guy doesn't want mayo on his sandwich - but the waitress says they are out of mayo anyway - so can he have it without mustard. No way - says the guy. I only want it without mayo !

jack nicholson in five easy pieces...
    when they stop off at the diner after picking up the hitchhikers...

Quote Originally Posted by platerpus
    jack nicholson in five easy pieces...
    when they stop off at the diner after picking up the hitchhikers...
    I'd like an order of toast...

down south where they use the slide machine...

I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton
    I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
    But he's after toast, if I remember rightly. So he asks to have the chicken salad left off, too.

down south where they use the slide machine...

Quote Originally Posted by beddoes
    But he's after toast, if I remember rightly. So he asks to have the chicken salad left off, too.
    you want me to hold the chicken?

I want you to hold it between your knees.

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by john stapleton
    you want me to hold the chicken?

I want you to hold it between your knees.

Lately I've wondered how good that film really is. For years I loved it, but revisiting it a couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find myself disapproving of both its rote anti-establishment sentiments and, especially, its misogyny and juvenile glorification of loneliness.

Lately I've wondered how good that film really is. For years I loved it, but revisiting it a couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find myself disapproving of both its rote anti-establishment sentiments and, especially, its misogyny and juvenile glorification of loneliness.
    amazing film.
    saw it again a few weeks ago for the first time in a few years and i'd forgotten the ending...very sad film,to my mind it's not glorifying the things you mention,quite the opposite.

amazing film.
    saw it again a few weeks ago for the first time in a few years and i'd forgotten the ending...very sad film,to my mind it's not glorifying the things you mention,quite the opposite.
    I used to feel the way you do. But now I'm convinced that virtually every film I've ever seen about loners glorifies their loneliness. I wrote an essay last year about the difficulties in depicting loneliness in art, and I focussed specifically on film --how, problematically, there's always a sympathetic, intimate viewer "present", wch introduces into the scenario precisely what cannot exist there. The real horror of loneliness is that nobody is watching and identifying and sympathizing with you. Most of the time you simply don't exist for other people. But a lonely man in a film ALWAYS exists for the viewer...

Probably bullshit, but it got something out of my system...
    Last edited by beddoes; 10-05-2006 at 11:23 PM.

I used to feel the way you do. But now I'm convinced that virtually every film I've ever seen about loners glorifies their loneliness. I wrote an essay last year about the difficulties in depicting loneliness in art, and I focussed specifically on film --how, problematically, there's always a sympathetic, intimate viewer "present", wch introduces into the scenario precisely what cannot exist there. The real horror of loneliness is that nobody is watching and identifying and sympathizing with you. Most of the time you simply don't exist for other people. But a lonely man in a film ALWAYS exists for the viewer...

Probably bullshit, but it got something out of my system...
    too philosophical for me i'm afraid! art requires an observer in order to exist as art right? otherwise it's just some kind of personal journey.
    you could say the same for any character in any film? not just a lonely character.art will always be influenced by the fact that it's designed to be viewed by an outsider...is this what you're saying?
    but how can you focus that argument specifically on the portrayel of loneliness in film? it applies across the board.
    you can't say,no,this can't be accurate because the guy acting this character knew he was being observed...

too philosophical for me i'm afraid! art requires an observer in order to exist as art right? otherwise it's just some kind of personal journey.
    you could say the same for any character in any film? not just a lonely character.art will always be influenced by the fact that it's designed to be viewed by an outsider...is this what you're saying?
    but how can you focus that argument specifically on the portrayel of loneliness in film? it applies across the board.
    you can't say,no,this can't be accurate because the guy acting this character knew he was being observed...
    It's hard to compress my argument into a paragraph... I'll send you the whole seventeen page essay, Adam!

Don't worry, I'll use it to cushion the records...

TRUE in both cases.

And what a crap argument about buying something from a shop - and they have to order it in - after they take my money. So that means they can take 28 days and that's OK !? !
    It`s not an arguement, it`s a fact. Mail order companies always state allow 28 days for delivery, to cover themselves in case they are out of stock. I`m not saying it`s ok, but it`s what happens. If you read ebay rules, you should not list items which are not in your possession, so this shouldn`t apply to ebayers.

I don't sell much at all on ebay . !
    You don`t say
    Last edited by Teessider; 11-05-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Cool

I don't care if a seller leaves me feedback. Some will, some won't -as long as some do, and it's good, why get your panties in a bunch?

But as a sometime seller myself I wonder about all you folks who demand instant feedback simply for paying. How many threads need to be started about fraudulent chargebacks and the like before it's crystal clear that ebay is throbbing with thieves and charlatans?
    Too true!, my bastard huge chargeback happened 46 days after the transaction, & thankfully it gave me the opportunity to leave the scamming twunt negative feedback & include his name so everyone can google him, although I reckon he'll just change his ID....arghhhh I'm beggining to really hate Ebay!

Rather than start a new thread for a trivial query about an ebay seller I thought I'd put it here.

Has anyone come across this seller vinool-uk?

They are based in Germany are registered to a German address yet I can never filter them out on a UK only search. I've not dealt with them and their feedback looks OK so not a criticism or comment on how legit they are as I have no idea. I'm just interested in how they bypass that filter?

Here's an example of a listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jefferson-...YAAOSwrddY76u6

Do a search for that record as an example and tick 'uk only' it will still come up and not under 'international sellers'

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Rather than start a new thread for a trivial query about an ebay seller I thought I'd put it here.

Has anyone come across this seller vinool-uk?

They are based in Germany are registered to a German address yet I can never filter them out on a UK only search. I've not dealt with them and their feedback looks OK so not a criticism or comment on how legit they are as I have no idea. I'm just interested in how they bypass that filter?

Here's an example of a listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jefferson-...YAAOSwrddY76u6

Do a search for that record as an example and tick 'uk only' it will still come up and not under 'international sellers'
    Ive come not come across this particular seller but I have come across a couple of others who I cant filter out using the UK only option, some sellers offer that "Services from outside the UK"

Maybe they have a warehouse or shop based somewhere and they liaise with them in the UK or something.

I don't know mate it's a weird one. I usually manage to filter out those drop ship type places on other things like electronics etc because they usually have a non uk address like this seller. Just curious as I've never come across it before it doesn't seem widespread or it would be annoying as.

If you look at the Postage & Payments tab, the item location field is:

Item location: DE, United Kingdom

So that's why his items show up in UK only searches. It's probably a fault in ebay's system. DE is the country code for Germany, obviously. Its possible ebay impose the United Kingdom bit and he can't get rid of it. For exampe, he may have signed up to ebay in the UK, then moved to Germany, and then run into this problem/anomoly when he tried to change his location. This is just a guess, I don't know this for sure. I've had similar problems with ebay, Paypal and Netflix when moving around.

Not sure if this is linked but when I signed up to EBay many moons ago and started using Turbo Lister to sell items I chose to do this on eBay.com rather than uk. Can you still do that? If so this might be what this seller has done.

I've not used Turbo Lister for many years so wouldn't know on the .com suggestion. I remember it used it to be very handy especially in regard to pictures but now ebay let you upload up to 12 it's become pretty redundant as far as I can see although if you are used to it and have lots of templates saved I remember it being great for bulk listing.

Miles suggestion makes sense as I think if it was an easily executable flaw you would have thousands of Chinese sellers doing it to fool you into thinking you were ordering from the UK and cluttering up every category going. An unavoidable glitch involving the seller moving and ebay being useless at migrating their account details to a new country does seem a good explanation these faceless online behemoths with their automated customer support have form. I have a not dissimilar issue with Paypal that has gone on for years that I've given up trying to sort out.