Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do It Thissen: Exhibition of vinyl records, tapes & fanzines from Sheffield 78-82

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do It Thissen: Exhibition of vinyl records, tapes & fanzines from Sheffield 78-82

Here's an early heads-up for a series of events that Matt (eine) and I have got planned for the end of September .....

Do It Thissen

22–30 September 2012 / Montgomery Hall, Surrey Street S1 2LG / 10am–4pm

Exhibition of vinyl records, tapes and fanzines from the Sheffield and South Yorkshire music scene 1978- 1982. Photographs by Mark Morreau. Art by Tim Allcard, couk, Lesley Guy and Syd & Mallory

Free entry to the exhibition and associated events. Register at facebook.com/DoItThissen

Events:
    Opening Saturday 22nd September from 6pm-9pm. Talk by Martin Lacey (editor of legendary fanzine NMX). DJ set by Jon Downing. Post show party at DaDa Bar till 1am.

There will be all day DJing on Sunday September 23rd, and a record deck will be on hand during the week, to serenade visitors to the exhibition.

Showing of 'Made In Sheffield', a film by Eve Wood at 8.30pm on Wednesday, 26 September in the Festival of the Mind's Spiegel Tent.

Evening of interpretations 6–8pm, Saturday 29th September. Neil Webb and Ron Wright perform a sound piece using samples from vinyl records of the period, Sensoria launch their Musical Map, Alex McLean performs live-coding based on scans of record sleeves used in the exhibition.

“Do It Thissen” is part of the Festival of the Mind, a collaboration between the City and the University of Sheffield which showcases its cultural strengths. The Festival runs from 20–30 September 2012.

For more information on Festival of the Mind please go to www.sheffield.ac.uk/FOTM and follow us on twitter #FestivalMind

################################################## ############

I've put together a 90 minute mix (featuring some of my 'Steel City Score' tracks, but with a stack more added), available here
    OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
    I've put together a 90 minute mix (featuring some of my 'Steel City Score' tracks, but with a stack more added), available here
    Listening to it now. No Leppard dude?!
    MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by ashra View Post
      Listening to it now. No Leppard dude?!
      sorry, no Leppard: I was put off them for life, having had to endure their set, when they supported the Human League at a 'local bands' night at the Limit Club, back in '78.

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

Big, big up this mix and exhibition. It is going to be good. Hope some plussers can come on Sep 22nd, as this show wouldn't have happened without VG+. e3sa934 has basically all the records from Sheffield (apart from Leppard) and they're all in a lovely new gallery with free beer. What more do you want? We even have our own logo:

Please like the Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/DoItThissen

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Sorry for teasing about Def Lep. Mix is great so far and I love the logo! Will try to sort out some Sheffield accommodation for the opening night.
          MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Looks great.

Def Leppard will be missed though.

Surely it's not too late...

Damn, It's from January 1983!

This one then...

Last edited by highland cow; 16-08-2012, 10:25 AM.
            www.45cat.com
            http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

I've written a fair bit about Def Leppard, gold suits and hospitals in an article here http://eine.tumblr.com/sheffieldmusiccity

Particlularly this plaque which is the most interesting thing about 'em...

e3sa934 was telling me he bought pretty much everything from Sheffield but neglected to buy their first self release (with inserts) because... he didn't like em. He also told me its worth a small fortune now.

There is much cooler stuff in our show though, check out this 78 poster:

and our own poster for the show (in progress...):

It's all freeeee as well.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Not long to go, now. We've even got a little write-up in a local paper

Comment

... following on from that story, a chap contacted the paper to say that he had a first pressing Def Leppard EP (red labels, lyric insert), with fully signed picture sleeve ... So now we DO have some Def Lepp at the show

Comment

more bits & bobs acquired for the exhibition from Sheffield post-punk 'Royalty', and another Do It Thissen Mix, to boot

Comment

I'd give an arm and a leg for that Def Leppard record

I'll get my coat now......

Seriously, I loved your Steel City mix - and I'm sure I'll love these too
                      Any chance of a track list?
                      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

I'd give an arm and a leg for that Def Leppard record

I'll get my coat now......

Seriously, I loved your Steel City mix - and I'm sure I'll love these too
                        Any chance of a track list?
                        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Comment

DoItThissen Mix1

Being Boiled Human League
                          Modern Man Prams
                          Rain Dance Past 7 Days
                          Air To Breathe They Must Be Russians
                          Russian Doll Bikini Atoll
                          I Know Now Disease
                          Secret Thinking Vendino Pact
                          Mother Moon Artery
                          Drowning Graph
                          Glen Miller … Musical Janeens
                          Parking Boys Acrobats Of Desire
                          Touch I'm So Hollow
                          Metal Boys Hobbies Of Today
                          Red Planet Comsat Angels
                          Brigade Clockdva
                          Babble Shy Tots
                          Nature's Daughter Pagan Beau
                          I Dream Of Genie Apocalypse Jive
                          Anaesthetic Surface Mutants
                          Just A Game U.V. Pop
                          All The Naked Heroes The Naughtiest Girl Was A Monitor
                          New Girls, Neutrons Vice Versa
                          Nightdreams Passing Strangers
                          Where To Now? 2.3

DoItThissen Mix2

Do It Again Deaf Aids
                          Rude Boy Deemus Mint
                          Cambridge Stomp Push
                          Jennifer Darling Helsinki 5 Below
                          Torch Veiled Threat
                          Jumping Off Walls TV Product
                          Radio People The Diks
                          Electric Waltz The Negatives
                          The Dice Vena Cava
                          Video Date Flying Alphonso Brothers
                          Take Your Time Charlie Webster
                          Satellites B Troop
                          I Don't Depend On You The Men
                          Dolphins Danse Society
                          Morale BEF & Hot Gossip
                          Yashar Cabaret Voltaire
                          Sacred Serials Hula
                          Say And Do Repulsive Alien
                          The Kill Mau Maus
                          Beautiful People Stunt Kites
                          Jacqueline Uncool Dance Band
                          Here We Go In Indigo Scarborough Antelopes
                          Another Flight Typhoon Saturday

Comment

THE OPENING EVENT IS TONIGHT, PEOPLE!

Matt and I, and our professional 'hanger' have spent the last 2 days getting the gallery ready: nearly there, just the display cabinets to fill, but even at this stage it looks freakin' awesome.

Some more late additions arrived mid-day from yet another seminal Sheffield band (can't say who it is, but their name rhymes with 'block da way')

We'll post some pictures up after tonight's opening event...

Comment

THE OPENING EVENT IS TONIGHT, PEOPLE!

Matt and I, and our professional 'hanger' have spent the last 2 days getting the gallery ready: nearly there, just the display cabinets to fill, but even at this stage it looks freakin' awesome.

Some more late additions arrived mid-day from yet another seminal Sheffield band (can't say who it is, but their name rhymes with 'block da way')

We'll post some pictures up after tonight's opening event...
                              Sounds like its going to be great!
                              Really sorry not to be able to go but I'm looking forward to the pics - great mixes btw!
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X