A Hairy Happening - March 8th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hairy Happening - March 8th

Plez to be advised of a *brand new* night coming to old London Town.

A night of music which is criminally overlooked in the play outable world of DJ bars and clubs - a wrong soon to be righted.

March 8th sees the kick off of 'A Hairy Happening' featuring your DJ's Bill Brewster and Greg Belson (+ guests) , selecting the music known as funky rock (or rock funk, if you prefer).

1960's - 70's rock bands listening and borrowing funk based rhythms from the heavy duty soulful scene at the time.

The venue is The Social, Little Portland Street, London W1 and you can find more information about opening times etc at www.djhistory.com.

And to give you a hint of what to expect, here's a selection of 10 for ya;

Brenda Patterson - I can't keep from crying sometimes
    The Marketts - The gnome
    Elephants Memory - Mongoose
    Paris Pilot - The beat goes on
    The Elephant - Do what you love
    Sod - Too loose to get tight
    Freedom - Toe grabber
    The Purpose - Dustcracks, bugs & roaches
    Bacon Fat - Smalls on 53rd
    The John Bartel Thing - Freak show

Free!

Greg - Are you gonna grow your beard for the opening night ??

Rich Hero - can we get to this, easy ??
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

nice!

how does this compare to that Rock'n'Roll Soul night at the Albany? not got round to going there...

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia
        nice!

how does this compare to that Rock'n'Roll Soul night at the Albany? not got round to going there...
        I've looked at their chart listings and it seems to be far more electic - stuff by Nick Cave, the Go! Team etc getting played.

They've got a one off night where the Scorched Earth compilers seem to playing - more akin to where Bill and I will be going.

We'll be sticking with the 1967-1977 funk rock that we did on the MOS show and such like.

Comment

Tuesday night - all good nights are on a Tuesday.

All the best with this venture. Sounds promising.
          records - one a week mixcloud
          records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by left hand corner
            Tuesday night - all good nights are on a Tuesday.

All the best with this venture. Sounds promising.
            Squire - ayethangyow!

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
              Rich Hero - can we get to this, easy ??
              Exactly the same way we got to B-Music (it's the same venue, innit).
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                another free night which plays funkyrockgubbins is Night Of the Long Swords the dates for the next few months are...
                Looks like an interesting bunch - wouldn't mind viewing a playlist when they've got the time. Looks like they're taking in a lot more genres too, if their webflyer and page are anything to go by.

Looks good though, and on a Saturday too.

Comment

Noicely............heavy up.

Comment

Unfortunately, I cannot make it to the opening night. Will this be a regular event and if so, will it always be on the 2nd Tuesday of the month?

Comment

Originally posted by left hand corner
                      Unfortunately, I cannot make it to the opening night. Will this be a regular event and if so, will it always be on the 2nd Tuesday of the month?
                      I believe that to the case, skipper.

The Lord Brewster is in charge of customer relations with the Social and I'm sure the deal is to run it as long as possible. Good moosic, innit.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking forwarding to April.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                          Exactly the same way we got to B-Music (it's the same venue, innit).
                          (reads the small print...)

mutters to self - "d'oh"

... Rich - there's a clash between this in London and Jazzy Jeff in Cambridge. You wanna decide which way we fall off the fence ?
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                            You wanna decide which way we fall off the fence ?
                            D'oh. Speak later...
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Yeah - call you Sunday night...

Comment

Working...
                              X