Kaleidoscope Islington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaleidoscope Islington

Anyone else going? Did anyone make it to The Poetry Club show in Glasgow on Friday?
    Looking forward to it myself
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I admit to welling up when the guitarist/drummer turned up. That was a bit of an unexpected treat. Bloody great show anyway. Were the backing band Trembling Bells? They did a REALLY good job whoever they were and Peter sounded much better than some of the Youtube clips I'd seen had led me to fear.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

We came away with one of the flowers! Interested to hear your thoughts on the rest of the bill. Personally, I thought the two support bands were a strange choice. Basically space rockers, neither of which was even remotely interested in engaging with the audience. Bit of a shame really, I think Kaleidoscope could have been complimented better, with a bit more thought from the people who put the line up together. What it did do, was make me warm even more to Peter Daltrey, and his engaging background stories to some of the tunes.
      That was a bit of a "moment" I must admit, seeing all three of them on stage, PLAYING together.
      Glad you enjoyed it too Mang.
      Went home smiling
      Just opened the latest Shindig! and Peter Daltrey is in there too. I don't know! Nothing for 40 odd years, now they're bleeding well everywhere
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Yes, the support band I saw were a bit underwhelming. I was thinking about it afterwards and reckon that they might have had more impact had they ratcheted up the volume a notch. The selection of tracks that were played over the PA before the band came on were well chosen, however (Factory, Eyes, "I Can Hear The Grass Grow" etc.) The thing is though that I've never thought of Kaleidoscope as being a Freakbeat band (one or two songs excepted). I got hold of "Tangerine Dream" at around the same time "The Psychedelic Snarl" was issued (summer of '84) and having already become familiar with the "Choc Soup" comps I remember being initially disappointed with the Kaleidoscope sound which I didn't feel was aggressive enough (!). Over that summer though the songs/feel of the album really began to resonate with me and it soon became one of my favourite sixties LPs. To say that I think the band last night did those songs justice is really high praise considering the esteem in which I hold both the Kaleidoscope LPs. I actually welled up a couple of times (especially during "The Sky Children"). No higher compliment from me!
        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Eat Lights, Become Lights were horrendous.
          Like the 12" mix of I FEEL LOVE played at 16rpm.
          With all the love taken out.
          And the feeling.
          And the sex.
          And the ecstasy.
          And played by po-faced depressed boy-men too shy to look at the audience.
          Po-faced bearded hipsters who think detachment is cool.
          And take heroin.
          Or want to.
          Dire, they were.

Kaleidoscope on the other hand exceeded all expectations.
          Great choice of backing band, Trembling Bells.
          The live sitar was incredible, and the eight-minute encore of MUSIC was jaw-droppingly good.
          I too was welling up at it all.

Wow!
          To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
            The live sitar was incredible...
            Groovy Graham of The Beatroots, take a bow.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
            X