Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brillo, Strongrooms - Friday 28th February

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Nice. I'm curious to see how this turns out and whether the hipsters will venture downstairs. It seemed louder upstairs than downstairs last time!

A couple of queries:

(a) What is being done to promote the night?

(b) Is it the same Brillo "play what you found in the last month" vibe, or will it be a general dig your collection thing?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

With just 4 DJs on Fridays (as opposed to the classic all for one and one for all approach kept for Thursdays), it is hoped to be a little more focused, tailored and considered in relation to a Friday audience expectations (whatever those might be!) of a night at the Strongroom. Well - that's the plan!! It still embraces the same original vinyl and less obvious choices though - but the odd 'classic' might creep in I guess......

Promotion-wise - sharing online with as many people, groups that we have access too. Maybe a story (the dreaded press release) could be seeded with certain music sites? Potentially flyers to record shops, certain bars may be in the pipeline. Do let us know if you have suggestions of where to get the word out too.

If any Brillo regulars are up for a slot on Fridays - then just let Mark (llmod1) know - he's managing the line-ups

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
        It still embraces the same original vinyl and less obvious choices though - but the odd 'classic' might creep in I guess......

Comment

Alas I'm gonna be off piste for this one with a trip over to the Alps. Have a good one and keep it punter friendly chaps.
          Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

With just 4 DJs on Fridays (as opposed to the classic all for one and one for all approach kept for Thursdays), it is hoped to be a little more focused, tailored and considered in relation to a Friday audience expectations (whatever those might be!) of a night at the Strongroom. Well - that's the plan!! It still embraces the same original vinyl and less obvious choices though - but the odd 'classic' might creep in I guess......
            It seems to be stating the bleedin' obvious but given the above it's not Brillo anymore is it?

edit: Given which, and I doubt anyone has IP ownership rights over the word "Brillo" (except the well known company) it's probably a good thing.
            Sorry, doing 5 and a half months in the trademark department of a big US law firm has me thinking like this occasionally!
            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

@ Pitch, great poster mate.
              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                It seems to be stating the bleedin' obvious but given the above it's not Brillo anymore is it?

edit: Given which, and I doubt anyone has IP ownership rights over the word "Brillo" (except the well known company) it's probably a good thing.
                Sorry, doing 5 and a half months in the trademark department of a big US law firm has me thinking like this occassionally!
                I thought the plan was that a Friday night Brillo would be more like a Best of Brillo?

Comment

your reward for this post is (as it should be) a vynil.

Comment

Promotion-wise - sharing online with as many people, groups that we have access too. Maybe a story (the dreaded press release) could be seeded with certain music sites? Potentially flyers to record shops, certain bars may be in the pipeline. Do let us know if you have suggestions of where to get the word out too.
                    This is interesting. Plussers and those who frequent the board will know Brillo as the brand name of a very well known scouring pad. Others may know it as a monthly get together of vynil nerds
                    On the other hand your average punter who may have heard on the off chance about the night and thought about attending, but needed some more info, only to find upon a web search:

https://www.facebook.com/brillo

http://brillo.com/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...illo&FORM=IGRE

Clearly if you wish to promote the night effectively and wished punters to have access to all the details regarding the night you would not want to have a well known scouring pad dominating the search.

Comment

This is interesting. Plussers and those who frequent the board will know Brillo as the brand name of a very well known scouring pad. Others may know it as a monthly get together of vynil nerds
                      On the other hand your average punter who may have heard on the off chance about the night and thought about attending, but needed some more info, only to find upon a web search:

Clearly if you wish to promote the night effectively and wished punters to have access to all the details regarding the night you would not want to have a well known scouring pad dominating the search.

To be fair a bit more digging might have lead to this worzel gummidge impersonator :

or even this welcome :

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Friday night is definitely with the punters in mind. Apparently on a Friday people like to have a boogie so this is the audience we are targeting.

More of a play records that you have found in your lifetime as opposed to play records you have found this month.

Those who are offended by Brillo "selling out" should possibly save their selections for the Thursday purist nights.

Comment

The answer is Andy Warhol.

Comment

The answer is Andy Warhol.
                            Yes indeed.
                            Perhaps the Friday could be called "Son of Brillo"? Thus retaining an affiliation to the original night but admitting a difference in approach?
                            it is hoped to be a little more focused, tailored and considered in relation to a Friday audience expectations (whatever those might be!) of a night at the Strongroom. (which is fine incidentally).
                            Do a web search for "brillo" and then do one for "son of brillo" and tell me which one has the better chance of promoting the Friday event rather than a scouring pad.

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                            Friday night is definitely with the punters in mind. Apparently on a Friday people like to have a boogie so this is the audience we are targeting.
                            More of a play records that you have found in your lifetime as opposed to play records you have found this month.
                            Those who are offended by Brillo "selling out" should possibly save their selections for the Thursday purist nights.
                            That is all well and good and I have no worries about the intentions to make a successful night of it, particularly after all your efforts. All I am saying is that the approaches to the Thursday Brillo and the Friday Brillo are mutually exclusive and so should not have the same name.
                            Let's say it's called dialectics

Comment

Yes indeed.
                              Perhaps the Friday could be called "Son of Brillo"? Thus retaining an affiliation to the original night but admitting a difference in approach?
                              it is hoped to be a little more focused, tailored and considered in relation to a Friday audience expectations (whatever those might be!) of a night at the Strongroom. (which is fine incidentally).
                              Do a web search for "brillo" and then do one for "son of brillo" and tell me which one has the better chance of promoting the Friday event rather than a scouring pad.

That is all well and good and I have no worries about the intentions to make a successful night of it, particularly after all your efforts. All I am saying is that the approaches to the Thursday Brillo and the Friday Brillo are mutually exclusive and so should not have the same name.
                              Let's say it's called dialectics
                              I get your point, but I think that the Strongroom and it's clientele are being introduced to a 'Brillo' philosophy - our kind of music. Yes we are playing Thursdays and Fridays and have different internal arrangements for playing out for each. But why would the audience know? For them on both nights they hear hopefully interesting music, most of it (but not all) from over 40 years ago, and a lot that they don't know. The fact that it is a bit more consistently upbeat and 'accessible' on a Friday is in fact irrelevant.

What Brillo doesn't do is the obvious - the music selection will be 'Very Good Plus Finds Section' - it will be discovered gems that are shared. That doesn't mean that they are incomprehensible and necessarily challenging - which is the key to a successful Friday.

So I guess what I am saying is that you need to put yourself in the audience and then you will discover that both nights are Brillo.

In 'Brillo Boxes' Warhol took a popular consumer item and elevated it to the level of high art. We are doing the same with some old dusty forgotten records (stop sniggering at the back!). Just like Andy Warhol we are doing this in different ways, but always branded Brillo.

(I know that this is apparently not why the night is called Brillo - but nothing wrong with a bit of post-rationalisation .... You might notice that the poster is playing a not totally unrelated game - reappropriating album inners and outers, and stickers - a bit Pop Art I guess)

Comment

Working...
                              X