Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viv Albertine (The Slits/Artist) Wednesday, 25th February 2015 (Outlaws Yacht Club, Leeds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viv Albertine (The Slits/Artist) Wednesday, 25th February 2015 (Outlaws Yacht Club, Leeds)

Viv Albertine (The Slits/Artist) Wednesday, 25th February 2015 (Outlaws Yacht Club, Leeds)

Again nothing to do with me but another of Chris's nights that are well worth highlighting

In Conversation with: Viv Albertine

When: Wednesday, 25th February 2015 - Begins at approximately 6.15pm (Come Early)

Where: Outlaws Yacht Club, 38 New York St, Leeds

How Much: Five Pounds

The big-up: Chinwag… a chat about life and whatever else comes up.

To say we are absolutely delighted to be welcoming Viv Albertine to Chinwag is an understatement. Viv is an artist in the very purest sense of the word; she works across a broad range of mediums including music, sculpture/ceramics, film (as both director and actor) and writing. Her biography ‘Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys’ (published last year) is stunning in Viv’s detailing of her sense of self and was, hands down, our favourite book of 2014. Here’s how Viv describes her journey so far…

“Viv Albertine. Born Sydney, Australia. French/Corsican father, Swiss mother, Brought up in North London (Muswell Hill), Quite poor. Comprehensive school. Favourite subjects, buying records; clothes, boys, art, English. Age 17 went to art school met Mick Jones, saw The Sex Pistols first show. Bought Horses, Patti Smith. Dropped out. Bought Les Paul junior with £200 my grandmother left me. Formed a band with Sid Vicious, Sarah and Palmolive called The Flowers of Romance (named by John Lydon). Started to learn to play guitar. Taught by Keith Levene who I have known since we were kids. He taught me that any sounds can go together, he really developed my ear and loads of other stuff. Johnny Thunders taught me how to do screamers (his name) and Joe Strummer, to tap my foot and paly at the same time. I didn’t have sex with any of them. Saw The Slits play their first show, called them the next day. We got together I back-combed my hair like The New York Dolls. We looked like a band. After The Slits I went to film school. Didn’t drop out. Directed stuff for about ten years. Made some money not art. Now making sculpture and writing/ recording / performing my own songs.”

Hosted by therapist Chris Madden, Chinwag invites you to lean in and listen to a conversation about life and anything else that comes up. Unlike a Q&A, this is an opportunity to get to know someone a bit better, hear a few of their tales, find out what makes them tick, share some insights and maybe ask a few questions too.

Held at the intimate Outlaws Yacht Club in Leeds, this is a unique event with limited capacity. Please arrive early, grab a seat, have your tea, have a drink, meet some mates, and enjoy an evening of insights.

Chinwag supports MAP (Music and Arts Production) a Leeds based registered charity which delivers bespoke courses in art, design and music production for young people who have difficulties accessing mainstream education. Chinwag guests lend their services so we can support the amazing projects that MAP delivers. Please dig deep and donate whatever you can.

Reserve your ticket here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/chinw...ts-15648286446
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

My favourite music book of last year, amazing, and jealous that I can't be there
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
      My favourite music book of last year, amazing, and jealous that I can't be there
      Me too. Great book.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

That's some canon being developed up there. All the nights you've flagged up on here look really interesting. Glad it's happening, wish I lived closer.
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

@Treeboy - always worth checking the videos afterwards... some top conversations... and a lot of comedy along the way...

Quick bump - tomorrow - I believe it is sold out, but always worth checking for returns...
          "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Working...
          X