Syd Barrett, A Celebration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syd Barrett, A Celebration

Only just found out this was happening.Nearly sold out. I just nabbed a couple of tickets. 10 years have flown by! Personally, I'm drawing a line under it following this.

https://www.cambridgelivetrust.co.uk...tt-celebration
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Made it to the interval, then left swiftly!!! Only the 5th concert I've ever walked out on.
    Everyone knows the story of the mercurial young man with the sparkle in his eye, the skip in his step, and the writer of some very special songs. Tonight the performers turned this on it's head. Dull, dull, dull! I was furious. It was bigged up as an event where the family were involved, it was a year in the making, so I was expecting something special. By the amount of different languages being spoken in the bar, so were a lot of other people who had made the journey to be there. Twink was there, Dougie Fields was there in all his finery, Jenny Spires was in the audience........these people knew him. What must they have thought. It was honestly shocking. In the end, I couldn't bear to look at the projections of Syds' face looking out at us, while his wonderful music was being tortured in front of his image.
    What a missed opportunity. Could have been something special as opposed to a shit-fest.
    On the plus side, the commemorative sculpture in the bar area of the Corn Exchange is wonderful. Combining bicycles, light shows, his mirror plated guitar, into a Catherine wheel of colour and images. Really good. Shame about the music. I didn't recognise it.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
    X