No announcement yet.

Jazz on a winters night (With mp3's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for opening my eyes to this British Jazz, I've ordered loads of here after hearing it in your chart
    sigpic
    This week I've been subjecting my ears to the above
    File under Popular: Whimsical Prog Pop

http://www.myspace.com/lordgammon
    http://last.fm/user/windmarbles

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgammon View Post
      Thanks again for opening my eyes to this British Jazz, I've ordered loads of here after hearing it in your chart
      Glad you've enjoyed some of it. A fair amount of the British stuff has received a CD re release on the Universal impressed series. I think it is a great shame they didn't choose to put out the Lansdowne catalog on vinyl too. A friend of mine spoke with Tony Higgins about this and he said quite abruptly, "We know the market, it wouldn't be worth while." Perhaps to them shifting a few 1000 units would have been a waste of time?
      https://www.facebook.com/AudioGrailGarrard301

Comment

Originally posted by folkishienne View Post
        . A friend of mine spoke with Tony Higgins about this and he said quite abruptly, "We know the market, it wouldn't be worth while."
        perhaps not worth his while but surely worth someone elses?

for any one looking for a cheap vinyl compilation of Lansdowne material then Jazz Explosion is a good one ... with tracks from Don Rendell, Mike Taylor, Joe Harriott + Amancio d'Silva, Stan Tracey, William russo, Guy Warren, Harriott + John Mayer - bargain for £5 if like me the albums are for bigger boys.

Joe Harriott and Coleridge Goode books are really good too from a couple of years ago.

this looks awesome folkishienne - off to kick back and go on your trip.
        Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Originally posted by chimptown View Post
          for any one looking for a cheap vinyl compilation of Lansdowne material then Jazz Explosion is a good one ... with tracks from Don Rendell, Mike Taylor, Joe Harriott + Amancio d'Silva, Stan Tracey, William russo, Guy Warren, Harriott + John Mayer -
          Absolutely, worth buying for Hum Dono alone
          Hope you find something you like amongst this lot Chimptown - All the best, Matt

Comment

Originally posted by folkishienne View Post
            A friend of mine spoke with Tony Higgins about this and he said quite abruptly, "We know the market, it wouldn't be worth while." Perhaps to them shifting a few 1000 units would have been a waste of time?

Comment

just listening to the Barney Willen.. interesting .. reminds me of thembi

I'm sure some british guys brought over pygmy musicians a couple of years ago to do the old jazz-pygmy fusion thing - from the clip I heard on the radio it sounded really good - although the pygmies were struggling to comes to the size of Britain's dogs.
              Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

I once spent two months walking through irian Jaya, the Indonesia half of New Guinea. I walked from Wamena, in the central highlands, to Asmat, down on the south coast. It was a long walk through fairly amazing terrain. I grew a beard and didn't wash for eight weeks, opting instead for the local way of doing things: smear yourself in pig grease.

About a month in - and we're talking no roads, no electricity, no nothing up there in the mountains - we descended into a valley inhabited by three main tribes of pygmies. There were apparently about 10,00 of the chaps and they lived in tree houses. I stayed with them for two nights. They seemed quite perplexed by a 6'4' white bloke.

No jazz though.
                Or dogs.
                To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                  I once spent two months walking through irian Jaya, the Indonesia half of New Guinea. I walked from Wamena, in the central highlands, to Asmat, down on the south coast. It was a long walk through fairly amazing terrain. I grew a beard and didn't wash for eight weeks, opting instead for the local way of doing things: smear yourself in pig grease.

About a month in - and we're talking no roads, no electricity, no nothing up there in the mountains - we descended into a valley inhabited by three main tribes of pygmies. There were apparently about 10,00 of the chaps and they lived in tree houses. I stayed with them for two nights. They seemed quite perplexed by a 6'4' white bloke.

No jazz though.
                  Or dogs.
                  Pig Grease, Beard, Perplexed individuals....Sounds like Jazz in action Sounds amazing

Comment

still ploughing through all this music... what a killer collection.

did find some british jazz that i forgot about (well mp3s) .. buddy pip's highlifers, quavers, west african rhythm stars (thats not their name but i cant remember what it actually is). these were all early 50s highlife / jazz bands formed in england to record for the african export market. Tony Kinsey, Joe Harriot, Shake Keane, Mike Mckenzie.. all sorts of people. Not outstanding music by any means (apart from shake keane's tracks) but might be of interest to someone who's into the whole history of jazz in britain

Comment

• THANKS! it really made my week diggin into this uk jazz...

Comment

• Originally posted by chimptown View Post

these were all early 50s highlife / jazz bands formed in england to record for the african export market. Tony Kinsey, Joe Harriot, Shake Keane, Mike Mckenzie.. all sorts of people. Not outstanding music by any means (apart from shake keane's tracks) but might be of interest to someone who's into the whole history of jazz in britain
                        I do enjoy a lot of the history surrounding the UK scene. One of the things I have always found interesting is that Joe Harriott / Keane / Dizzy Reece and many other Jamaican musicians all attended the Alpha Boys School in Kingston, the institution also tutored many Ska acts like Tommy McCook and Don Drummond... Amazing for what amounted to a very poorly resourced school.
                        Last edited by folkishienne; 05-02-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by folkishienne View Post
                          I do enjoy a lot of the history surrounding the UK scene. One of the things I have always found interesting is that Joe Harriott / Keane and many other Jamaican musicians all attended the Alpha Boys School in Kingston, the institution also tutored many Ska acts like Tommy McCook and Don Drummond... Amazing for what amounted to a very poorly resourced school.
                          alpha school's idea was to train its orphans / problem kids for careers in music so it turned it out really well trained players. We're lucky people like keane and harriott came to england as they really upped the standard of competition here.

would kill to hear the disc fela made in london in late 50s.... or a recording of his jams with harriott... *sigh*

that graham collier burns... so so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                            [16) B.J Ward: Vocal Ease – Catfish. The Title cut is a kind of groovy female jazz number with upfont vocals in a similar vein to Doris et al. I can’t shake the chorus and it hasn’t left my deck since it came through the door. More than a one trick pony, this Lp features several decent tracks including ‘The Loner’ (as comped on the folk funk boot) The main downside to this LP is the poor quality catfish pressing... Vocal Ease.mp3

Crickey..... B J Ward is none other than the Voice of Velma from Scooby Doo and Betty Rubble from the Flintstones......... Good pipes
                            BJ Also Appeared on this pop psych LP...I'm bothered by the cover, the garcon with the lunettes creeps me out...You can hear a cut from this LP: Here
                            Last edited by alanmck; 30-10-2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: pruning for speed.

Comment

• Gotta get me a copy of that flutey Tonton Macoute. Great car junkyard artwork as well.
                              http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

• Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
                                Gotta get me a copy of that flutey Tonton Macoute. Great car junkyard artwork as well.
                                Just got one from the bay a couple of weeks back. Cracker from start to finish.
                                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Working...
                                X