• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really liking a good handful of tracks there me B Thanks for sharing
    https://www.facebook.com/AudioGrailGarrard301

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
      I've had bad experiences with late 70s and 80s rumba so far, although my mum and me still have a soft spot for the Gipsy Kings.
      The Gipsy Kings have a pretty good provenance though, what with Manitas de Plata's kids being the main men...

Comment

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSKNZYyk9Q

Los Amaya 60s stylee!! The guy in the glasses looks like a beatnik Barry Cryer!!
        "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post

Los Amaya 60s stylee!! The guy in the glasses looks like a beatnik Barry Cryer!!
          With Carlos the Jackal on handclaps and Rasputin on organ too, apparently.

I wondered for ages how they could clap so fast until I realised there were always two of them.

70s gypsy dress tips here (these lot, looking a lot portlier and greyer, have a new CD out because I saw the ad last night)
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post

The way they guy without glasses plays the guitar with the right hand is called "el ventilador" (the fan), a very rhythmic and percusive style typical of the rumba.

And here is the king of rumba explaining the different types of "ventilador"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5ziRT62mRqw
            Last edited by Carlitos; 28-11-2008, 08:18 AM.
            ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Peret y sus Gitanos– El Gato; Peret is the King of Rumba, and this is his great version of Joe Cuba’s latin soul number El Raton.

Teresiya – Malagueña: On the picture sleeves of her few 45s Teresiya the Gypsy Girl looks about 14 and is dressed up like a 9-year old, usually clutching a cuddly dog. This is my favourite track of hers, a version of Lecuona’s Cuban standard (taken from a flamenco melody in the first place) in which she also proves to have the husky sensual voice of a much older woman.

India Flores – Jalala Jalili: I know nothing about India Flores except that she has a really sexy nose, a spine-tingling voice and released one album of raw, rough Moroccan influenced rumbas. This one features thrilling guitar flurries, vocals in Arabic, handclaps and percussion and nothing else.
              Babycart, thanks for pointing me here. Have listened to these a few times. The Peret is my favourite: has got it all. Teresiya and India Flores are the other highlights for me, the first for its amazing piano and the second for the emotion. Despite her sexy nose I think she would have been a handful.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                Babycart, thanks for pointing me here. Have listened to these a few times. The Peret is my favourite: has got it all. Teresiya and India Flores are the other highlights for me, the first for its amazing piano and the second for the emotion. Despite her sexy nose I think she would have been a handful.
                Cheers Eine. Flamenco/rumba female singers seem to be pretty high maintenance in general.

My favourite is this one, who looks lovely but is called The Ruin, as in "She'll be the ruin of you."

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

This chart is GREAT! How did I miss this five years ago? Any update on this type of stuff?
                  it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                  take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

cheers. SJ.

I sort of moved onto Lebanese and latin stuff after the chart. I still buy rumba if I see it, and have picked up good records by Bambino, El Gitano Portugués, Tere De Oro and others but, apart from stuff like the massive selling Peret and Grecas titles, the prices have gone up a bit over the last few years and the sought-after artists are even harder to locate. I've been after this one for years

the 2007 Achilifunk comp had two CD sequels, one was remixes, the other had live rumba versions of songs including Labi Siffre's vulture and I Believe in Miracles.

The legendary Rabbit Rumba lp got reissued and can still be located. If you're the equally legendary LJDB you can apparently even find the OG in the UK and post it in this month's finds

www. rumbaflamencopop.blogspot.com is a good little vintage rumba blog; www.calarumba.com is the main site for new stuff,
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

llmod1 scored Rabbit Rumba, not LJDB, but I can't edit the post.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Discovered this amazing video of Dolores Vargas performing a more traditional flamenco 'bulerias' number in 1978. The footwork starts at 3.30.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Thanks Babycart!

After I read your great chart I mistakenly thought there was a wealth of cheap oddball rumba records for me to pick up, but it seems I am at least 6 years too late on this.

The story of my record buying life! I wish I'd have known more when I went on a stag do to Madrid in the 90's. I stumbled half drunk past a record shop, bobbed in and managed to get stuff like Jayme Marques, Emmanuelle Negra OST, Max B and Spanish releases of decent northern tracks for buttons. I kept telling myself I should go back just to look for records, but never did. I think the place was called Buddah Records? It had a picture of a Buddah on its flyer anyway...
                          it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                          take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                            Thanks Babycart!

After I read your great chart I mistakenly thought there was a wealth of cheap oddball rumba records for me to pick up, but it seems I am at least 6 years too late on this.

The story of my record buying life! I wish I'd have known more when I went on a stag do to Madrid in the 90's. I stumbled half drunk past a record shop, bobbed in and managed to get stuff like Jayme Marques, Emmanuelle Negra OST, Max B and Spanish releases of decent northern tracks for buttons. I kept telling myself I should go back just to look for records, but never did. I think the place was called Buddah Records? It had a picture of a Buddah on its flyer anyway...
                            the shop sounds like Bangla Desh. Still there but I'm a bit pissed off with them because I bought a Djavan lp which turned out to contain a Los Tres Machucambos lp last summer.
                            I did exactly the same as you in the 90s, picking up the Marques stuff and latin oddments in Metralleta. I was probably knee deep in Brothers Groove 7"s without knowing it.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread. I found a rumba by a band named Pacos y Pepes, a record that I've never seen before. It's a mix of rumbas with funky drums, quite cool. I haven't been able to find any info online, any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X