Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=ginghamkitchen;320428]
    Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
    Possibly the scariest of the lot, though I still haven't dared listen to it unless I turn into Cruise or Travolta

Ah, you're alright - these are Christian Scientists, not Scientologists - you're more likely to turn into Bruce Campbell or Mike Nesmith.
    Can't help feeling a little disappointed.

(note to self - must try harder when diggin' for whacked out religious ephemera and psycho-babble, )

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantthinkofagoodname View Post
      BestDressedChicken said that the flipside 'Scarlet Woman' by 'Chakra' was to do with a guy called Mike Magee who was behind an occult mag in the 70's & as I've never been able to find anything else on the label, it sounds like it could have been a private-pressing financed by him.

As for the whistling, can't wait to dig out my Ronnie Ronalde 78s...
      That''s weird, I was talking about that record with someone last night. (Not very good apparently!) Mike Magee is a very interesting guy. He's a top IT journalist as well as being an authority on Hindu Tantra, runs an amazing website and has translated lots of Indian texts. The magazine he put out was called Sothis, now quite collectable should anyone find a complete run in a charity shop! (edit: Azoth was a fanzine type thing, Sothis a big journal that came out later).
      Last edited by Tsundoku; 25-07-2009, 11:40 PM.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

I like this thread - it could be subtitled "Buying these records so you don't have to". I did see a promotional single in a Bluebeat style for selling razors (IIRC) in a shop a few months back but I left it - anyone ever seen it?
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

[QUOTE=piglit'n'rolf;320440]
          Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post

Can't help feeling a little disappointed.

(note to self - must try harder when diggin' for whacked out religious ephemera and psycho-babble, )
          Christian Scientists still have some interesting ideas...their overall belief is a bit like The Matrix - the material world is an illusion - we only live on a spiritual plane and prayer can help you to see past your immediate surroundings to the truth. They also believe prayer is more useful than medical attention (although this is not enforced) and like to recruit people through their Reading Rooms which are open to all.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
            That''s weird, I was talking about that record with someone last night. (Not very good apparently!)
            No, not my bag either, really, but here it is anyway:

http://www.divshare.com/download/7994237-35f

And here's a bit of yer great beast:

http://www.divshare.com/download/7994242-800

As for the bluebeat razors, I've never seen it, but definitely want one now.
            I ran away to a charity shop & there's no way it's gonna stop.

Comment

Christian Scientists still have some interesting ideas...their overall belief is a bit like The Matrix - the material world is an illusion - we only live on a spiritual plane and prayer can help you to see past your immediate surroundings to the truth. They also believe prayer is more useful than medical attention (although this is not enforced) and like to recruit people through their Reading Rooms which are open to all.
              I personally don't have any religious faith, although an ex-girlfriend, with whom I went out for a year, was a Christian Scientist. My understanding is that their beliefs regarding illness are an extension of their belief in the insubstantial nature of the material world - or in other words, illness is a belief (i.e. an extension of your own thought processes) rather than a physical reality.

I understand that this is an article of faith and, although there is no outright ban on seeking medical treatment, it is nonetheless viewed very negatively.

There have been several controversial cases, mostly in the U.S., in which parents have witheld medical treatment from their children for this reason (although I should add that Christian Scientists are not alone in doing this).

Comment

Originally posted by Cantthinkofagoodname View Post

I want this LP
                You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Some nice pictures here but it might be worth adding that some of us do like the music from these types of records. Wayne kindly sent me a fabulous Avon perfume promotional flexi with a nice folk tune on it recently.

Anyway, here's my two papal 45s from today's finds:

Last edited by Little Jimmy Oddman; 26-07-2009, 01:27 AM.
                  Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                    I've got boxes of this sort of stuff, too...
                    as does every serious digger
                    my mantra is in the title

Comment

Comment

is that the 'elusive' flexi Jim

Kind of like the Free Design ?
                        Rockwell
                        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                          is that the 'elusive' flexi Jim
                          That's the one Sie - I really like it.
                          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

?!

"Christian Scientists still have some interesting ideas...their overall belief is a bit like The Matrix - the material world is an illusion - we only live on a spiritual plane and prayer can help you to see past your immediate surroundings to the truth."

Bit like Marx aussi - false class consciousness etc etc. In the Matrix the alternate "material world" was evidently present - but the blinkered masses had no awareness and toiled away as blind slaves for the benefit of their robotic masters!

More like a lightweight version of the Commie manifesto fused with some cod eastern metaphysical jumbo mumbo c.f. "Star Wars" IMHO.

Enlightenment

<------------

This way!
                            Last edited by Viva Chiba; 26-07-2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneyVotel View Post
                              I want this LP
                              Sadly just a 7" that one. If there's an lp, I'd have one too.

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                              Some nice pictures here but it might be worth adding that some of us do like the music from these types of records. Wayne kindly sent me a fabulous Avon perfume promotional flexi with a nice folk tune on it recently.
                              Yes, out of the religious ones I've got am particularly partial to a bit of the Medical Mission Sisters. As for tracks advertising stuff, now that would surely be a whole thread in itself...
                              I ran away to a charity shop & there's no way it's gonna stop.

Comment

Christian Scientists ... like to recruit people through their Reading Rooms which are open to all.
                                Like the one in Manchester. Which is round the corner from a branch of the Church of Scientology funnily enough. Though yet to see students with V for Vendetta masks on protesting outside the reading room.

I understand Christian Scientists get very upset if they're associated with Scientologists
                                ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

Working...
                                X