No announcement yet.

Sie’s Rap Odyssey Vol. 6 (215 Special)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sie’s Rap Odyssey Vol. 6 (215 Special)

Sie’s Rap Odyssey Vol. 6

This instalment is a 215 Special – celebrating hip hop from Philadelphia. Big thanks to Beddoes for showing me around some of the lesser-known Philly spots where great hip hop records can still be found.

Track One
    TAINTED MINDZ “Killadelphia”
    1996. Independent label release; the second for this group that were previously known as Young But Strong in the early 90’s. This twelve, released on Aphilliated Records, centred around A-side “All In The Flip” with a reworked, most would say improved, version of “Killadelphia” (their first release as Tainted Mindz) on the flip. Definitely the stronger of the two tracks on this twelve.

Track Two
    B.L.U.N.T.E.D “Skills Tight”
    2001. B.L.U.N.T.E.D, or Beats & Lyrics United To Set New Trends Through Every Dialect to give them their full name, released just one twelve on Prominent Entertainment Records. Not much is known about this crew, just the involvement of Ill Advised rapper Baby Blak and local DJ/producer DJ Jay Ski. “Skillz Tight” is found on the flipside of the “Not My Style” twelve.

Track Three
    LYRA-SISTA “Is It Him (Or Is It The Bozak)?”
    1993. The second of two releases on Bass Drive Records featuring female rapper Lyra-Sista. Produced by Chuck Nice.

Track Four
    PAULY YAMS & DJ JAZZ “Lean Left, Lean Right”
    1995. Taken from the awesome “When I Blow Up” EP on Rare Form Entertainment. This was the only solo outing for Pauly Yams, ably supported by DJ Jazz (aka Jazzy J). After this release, Pauly preferred to add guest raps to releases from the likes of Ill Advised, Eastern Conference and Philly legend Jazzy Jeff.

Track Five
    RUGGEDNESS MADDRAMA “Forreal”
    1994. My current fave from this ten, it is also the only one from this chart that got plays on Yo! MTV Raps – there’s a video posted up on Youtube if you are interested. Released a total of 3 twelves between 1994-97 on Emay Records.

Track Six
    RAM SQUAD “Ramboom”
    1994. During a series of independent releases between 1994 and 1997, reports of drugs and illegal arms deals followed this crew wherever they went. Some allege the RAM in their name stood for Richard Allen Mob, a notorious gang from the North Philly projects and, it is alleged that these links into organised crime lead to RAM Squad getting a major label deal in 2000. The album bombed, the deal was cancelled and a series of high profile drug-related arrests followed.

Track Seven
    DA FUNK “You Can Come & Get Down”
    1996. With DJ Miz and Eyse from Tasc4orce this twelve was the only outing for Da Funk and Bedrock Productions.

Track Eight
    B-FRESH “Watch My DJ Get Busy”
    1989. Legendary twelve on Raw Records, one of the Philly holy grails from the Golden Age of hip hop. Awesome tune!

Track Nine
    215 ASASINZ “Guaranteed Hot Shit”
    1995. The one and only release (self-funded) from this short-lived crew, with members going their separate ways soon after. Was a hit locally, but never received any nation-wide attention. Former member Suspens still records to this day, based out of Miami.

Track Ten
    REDD BULL "Who’s Da Baddest"
    1996. Another Philly female rapper, this is her second release produced by Ruggedness (of Ruggedness Maddrama fame).

Link to Sie's Rap Odyssey Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4 and Vol. 5

Last edited by Sie Vulture; 21-02-2010, 03:39 PM.
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Nice selections there Sie

Bodge
    Time to say peace...

Comment

Thanks J...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

looks dope, am downloading now!!
        Thanks

Comment

Thanks a lot, I am still trying to digest the others, lots of good stuff.

Comment

my wants list has just grown by 10.

Skills Sie.
            Jammin's rap odyssey thingy pt1 blah blah

Comment

Cheers Rich - glad to hear that Drum Suite is making a comeback in 2010...

Comment

The B Fresh is by far my fave...a killer! As you know I struggle a bit with the mid 90's vocal style but the production is nice on a lot of them.

Keep them coming Sie.
                "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

thanks again for another kickin' rap selection!
                  http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
                  http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

Cheers guys. Got my Bolly one to do next, but I'll be back...

Comment

Working...
                    X