No announcement yet.

A Steel City Score. 20 DIY tracks from Sheffield 1979-1981

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi GC, glad you found this thread, and I hope that you're enjoying the tunes. Did you manage to get to see any of the bands play live?

I'd say that the Lilleker book is pretty much essential for people with an interest in the scene & music coming out of Sheffield between 73 - 84. Lots of detail, even for the smaller bands - and intelligent commentary. My only minor gripe is that there's no formal discography, but having said that, mentions are made in the text where a band released a single or LP.

As you're probably aware, Martin was (is) a well-respected music journalist, having reported in the local media since 78. (He also co-authored a book which covered the Sheffield music scene in the period 55 - 75 'Not like a proper job')

Here's a pic of the contents page to 'Beats working for a living' to further whet your appetite. (Looks like there's a used copy on both eBay and Amazon at the moment, btw):

Re the Limit book, I lent Neil my collection of NMX magazines as source material, and there's a contemporary photo of mine and a couple of quotes in there too.

Further documentation of the South Yorkshire scene in the 70s/80s appears in other recent books 'Out of Control: Punk Rock at the Doncaster Outlook and Rotherham Windmill 1976-1978' and 'Our Generation: The Punk and Mod Children of Sheffield, Rotherham and Doncaster 1976-1985' both by Tony Beesley.
    Last edited by e3sa934; 08-01-2011, 11:25 PM.
    OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

I've just rediscovered this on the ipod this morning, on a quest for things postpunk and I have to say it's a blinder! If you've not listened yet do yourself a favour and do so! Am really loving the tracks of Bouquet of Steel..
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Still working on volume 2 ... but in the meantime, for one week only, you can catch up on your early Human League/Heaven 17/BEF history

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

!

Only just noticed this too, a fascinating panoply of goodies there.

Would lurve to get my mitts on the Vice Versa 7", seems to do £40ish too oft for my liking!

I also have a live LP by the Musical Janeens, recorded in Amsterdam I think - shambolic Can-esque jams. Will have to check out the comp track and compare!

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
            Would lurve to get my mitts on the Vice Versa 7", seems to do £40ish too oft for my liking!
            I don't think they're going to get cheaper anytime soon ... but one or two on the chart fly under the radar on eBay for a couple of quid from time to time, e.g. the '1980 - the first 15 minutes' ep (which contains a Vice Versa track)

I'll start a separate thread for Volume 2, but here's a peek at the source material (1981 - 1983)

Comment

This looks really promising Jon, and hopefully will feed into that project of ours!!
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
                I'll start a separate thread for Volume 2, but here's a peek at the source material (1981 - 1983)
                Looking forward to that! Money talk gets regular spins at my place, found a copy for about a tenner after hearing it here. Every time I go to visit my parents I hope to turn up more from theis chart but they never appear
                http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
                http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

Really interesting stuff - remember seeing many of the bands listed...lived in Sheffield from late 70s until late 80s and used to go out an watch live music several nights a week even if some of the bands were pretty dire...I was busy discovering soul and funk from the 99p boxes at Record Collector and Mojo/Contempo demos from the 10p singles box from a shop upstairs at Castle Market - and, of course, Violet May off the Moor (think a book came about this fabled record shop last year??).

Remember seeing the Human League at Psalter Lane Art College - slide show and "Being Boiled" period - think I have a poster somewhere and one or two copies of NMX...think the following week Jedward lookey-likeys "In the Nursery" played...happy days!

Comment

Some of Sheffield's finest in Weston Park, 30-odd years ago ....

Stunt Kites, I'm So Hollow, Paul Bower's 2.3 and Artery, videoed by Pete Hill.

Comment

The Future - Demos 1977

Comment

Thanks e3 for bumping this thread - no idea why I didn't see this before - first post was May 2010 - where was I - stranded in the US with ash cloud action I believe..?

Enjoying the soundcloud mix action just now

Would love to find a copy of "Beats Working For a Living: The Story of Popular Music in Sheffield 1973-1984" - but not for 115 Euros on-line - never seen or heard of the book before...

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                          Would love to find a copy of "Beats Working For a Living: The Story of Popular Music in Sheffield 1973-1984" - but not for 115 Euros on-line - never seen or heard of the book before...
                          PM sent .....

Comment

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post

The book is great!
                            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Did you see this on Facebook Jon? Thought other would also like to see:

Comment

Working...
                              X