Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you think it's better (living in the country)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is authentic country / bluegrass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

(please note that due to the usual seasonal intake of port and Stilton I am normally gibbering, gout-ridden and immobile for most of December, so you know, go easy if we do come to blows)
    The Downstairs Lounge
    http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

There see, I told you, authentic deep South:
      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/up-cat-pole-cat
      The Downstairs Lounge
      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Great stuff Hugh, the Red Rhodes has always been a personal favourite. I remember it was released on Mike Nesmiths Countryside label and came with a postcard advertising an album by Garland Fraydy (I think), which may have been the only other release on the label.
        Got to see The Rockingbirds a few times, always great live, one of the best was when they showed up down by the river at the Reading Festival and did an acoustic show.
        You can never have enough Mike Nesmith in the collection. The Zigzag Concert box set released recently (by a guy from Washington near here) is meant to be very good, I am hoping to go to his place and pick one up.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_ZigZag_Concert

Comment

where do i get the nesmith zigzag then kestrel ?
          Rockwell
          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
            where do i get the nesmith zigzag then kestrel ?
            Here is the link for ordering, the reviews I have read are very positive, I just need the cash to afford it!

http://www.rgfrecords.demon.co.uk/releases/zigzag.htm

Comment

Brilliant chart, as always! God bless Hugh.
              http://hidingplaceplace.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                Always nice to know I'm not just enthusing into a void.
                No Hugh - That's my job. Keep Off!!!!

Lovely chart btw - right up my furrow
                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Have to admit that country rock has never been something I've whole heartedly embraced, like when at other times of life I've gone through phases and styles of music then become a little obsessed with them for a while, with this genre it never happened.

Which is why I'm genuinely looking forward to giving this chart some proper attention.

I have the 'Griffin is gone' Hoyt album, which I like, but didn't get into the Nesmith album shown above,maybe another listen is called for, anything as good as Tim Hardin's first two albums and I'll be happy.

Good to see some info with the music as well, great effort Hugh, looking forward to it.
                  -
                  You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                  but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by peter sundae View Post
                    Have to admit that country rock has never been something I've whole heartedly embraced, like when at other times of life I've gone through phases and styles of music then become a little obsessed with them for a while, with this genre it never happened.

Which is why I'm genuinely looking forward to giving this chart some proper attention.

I have the 'Griffin is gone' Hoyt album, which I like, but didn't get into the Nesmith album shown above,maybe another listen is called for, anything as good as Tim Hardin's first two albums and I'll be happy.

Good to see some info with the music as well, great effort Hugh, looking forward to it.
                    Be interested to hear your thoughts, Julian.

I have to say, though, that there's almost NOTHING that's as good as the first two Tim Hardin LPs.

Will be updating this over the next few days, anyhows, so drop by anytime you get lonesome, y'hear.
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

yes i also look forward to giving that all a listen.

i too like this country music. its one of those things you have to sometimes keep to yourself. the mrs cant stand it when i put my Jim Ford Cd on.
                      it has its moments.
                      you familiar with the Ford?
                      Over twelve hundred farts in screwtop jars. Some labelled 1978-81. Some vegetarian. £2 each, or offers for full collection.

Comment

Originally posted by timothytouchincloth View Post
                        yes i also look forward to giving that all a listen.

i too like this country music. its one of those things you have to sometimes keep to yourself. the mrs cant stand it when i put my Jim Ford Cd on.
                        it has its moments.
                        you familiar with the Ford?
                        Yeah. Great LP.
                        Will chart it sooner or later!

Glad this chart tickles your fancies anyway.
                        Hugh

Comment

I have listened to some of these albums in shops and not been that impressed - Relatively Clean Rivers and Charley D and Milo for example - but after reading about them here and then listening to your picks I think some of those are much better than I remember them to be. Maybe it's time to go back to some of these and start exploring the fringes od country (as I gather most of the stuff charted here would be considered at least a little bit out of what is considered mainstream country).

My fave country album is probably Kris Kristofersons Border Lord which show how little I scratched the surface here.
                          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Just a quick post to say thank you to Hugh for sending me a CD of the first part of this chart
                            It really opened my eyes to country
                            I've been listening to it a lot over the last few days and to say that I am falling in love with it is an understatement
                            By far and away the standouts for me are Livin in the Country, Gypsy Rider, Just Because You Can't Be Mine - but the most eye opening has been Om Sweet Om - what an amazing tune
                            Thanks for turning me on to musical sounds I would otherwise never have given time to
                            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                              Just a quick post to say thank you to Hugh for sending me a CD of the first part of this chart
                              I've been listening to it a lot over the last few days and to say that I am falling in love with it is an understatement
                              By far and away the standouts for me are Livin in the Country, Gypsy Rider, Just Because You Can't Be Mine - but the most eye opening has been Om Sweet Om - what an amazing tune
                              Thanks for turning me on to musical sounds I would otherwise never have given time to
                              That's why we're all here, man.

Really really pleased it hit you right and that you've been getting something from it.

There'll be a Volume Two along before too long, so keep them peeled.

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                                As above - Hugh cheers for the disk...
                                "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Working...
                                X