The Redeeming feature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    But with his sometime collaborator Caterina Valente he delivers here a fresh take on Be-in, with a massive added timbale break...
    You're not wrong there.
    also enjoying Tony Holland and Scarborough fair

just like their mother they are all over the place

and that made me snortle.

cheers fuz!
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Well it's time to round up and unleash another batch of Redeeming Features upon your ears.

There's been a few candidates this summer but I've left some out as I've other plans for them... my private press Xmas swap, a UK country chart update, and a future Xian mix I *really* need to get round to at some point...

So this is distilled right down to a rich vein of grade 'A', under the counter, off the radar digging surprises.

I'll also go public here and salute that "special" record shop in York, where some of these were sourced - cheers Phil.

We'll kick it off by going straight out of my comfort zone and plunge headlong into the glamorous world of disco...

Wow dee wow - Tony Evans Connection

Disco usually makes me run a mile but there was something in the back of my mind telling me to grab this, and it paid off in full. One glorious track of driving funky wah wah geetar, which somehow managed to fend off the disco stick which pulverized the rest of this album.

Attitude dancing - Fred Astaire

As I say, disco ain't my bag Daddio, but could I leave behind an album where twinkle toes Rodgers revs up his vocal pipes... backed by the Pete Moore Orchestra (Which I've always held in high regard)?

No, I could not. This had the potential to be a train wreck of a listen, and I do want to point out I'm no connoisseur of disco, but it's way better than my (admittedly low) expectations could have imagined.

Hit the road Jack - Phil Tate & Orchestra

Showing the disco generation how to do it... a wonderful take on an old classic with tuff drums, pounding rhythm and in your face vocal delivery.

This is the record that made people finally give in to the groove at the last Eclectic Mud and jump off the comfy sofas and on to the dance floor. It could be the best Ballroom dancing record yet...

She's not there - Carlos Romanos & Orchestra

Or maybe it's this one... Many thanks to the very generous Ian T, who mentioned this record up thread and has donated it to the cause... It fits right in a lovely flowing latin version of the Zombies signature tune.

Now come a couple you might have to rub your eyes, cotton bud your ears and pinch yourself to believe... Funk in unusual places? Slightlydelic? You decide...

A hard days night - Max Bygraves

Nick Ingman & orchestra along with the Tony Mansell singers helping Max turn this Beatles perennial into a lounge groover.

Rawhide - Frankie Laine

It's funny what record collecting does to you isn't it. I never thought I'd be hanging on to a Frankie Laine record, but to be fair he's helped out by the Pete Moore Orchestra... But a funky version of Rawhide? Strewth.

Ain't no sunshine - The Brass Ring

The whole Tijuana Brass 60's easy listening genre is wearing rather thin these days, I mean how many brass records have you kept in your collection? I found myself questioning myself whether I needed yet another in my life when I found this in a London charity shop this summer.

It's a long way to carry it home to Edinburgh, I said to myself, but thankfully my love of Bill Withers won out in the end.

Tom's tavern blues - Lloyd Green

If you're reading this you probably know I like a bit of country, but don't let this knowledge scare you off... for Lloyd manages to wield a mighty Fuzz guitar in this wee down home ditty.

Caravan - Lenny Dee

Truth be told I've had this record for many years. But when I found myself turning over in my mind which recently found version of Caravan I should include in this chapter of the chart, I thought none of them beat this cracking version where Lenny gets his organ to sound devilishly dark in places...

It should be stated that one of my golden rules of digging is never pass up a version of Caravan, so if any of you are considering jettisoning any please let me know in advance...

and finally a record which at first glance doesn't seem to fit in the Redeeming feature chart.... why, any self respecting board member would pick this up for peanuts if they found it languishing in the wild...

Jeune Homme - Norman Maine Orchestra

I mean, french, library vibes, colourful sleeve, versions of "Baby come back", "Hey Jude" and "Fire" for starters...

But they're all performed by the curiously lackluster Jeff Clyton Orchestra, flipping over to Mr. Maine's side almost crushed me. Sappy, slushy versions of middle of the road orchestral averageness... until the Morricone-esque "Jeune Homme" (thankfully) charged out of the speakers... I knew there had to be something good on this.

As ever comments appreciated, questions answered and let me know if any of the links don't work.
      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Great update Fuz mate.

Loving the Tony Evans, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it, like you the disco in the title would have put me off a bit too!

Is that the same Brass Ring that did the version of 'Spinning wheel'?
        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Wonderful stuff!

Again.

VG+ needs to award you a 'Top Digger' Northern Soul style patch.

PS: If you ever see Lenny Dee's LP with Happy Barefoot Boy on...pick it up! Proper fun.
          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Two years old this thread is, and I'd never noticed it before - some lovely stuff in here for definite (though 60s Tijuana brass sound-alikes will NEVER wear thin for me!)

Incidentally, Carlos Romanos and the aforementioned Wilf Todd are one and the same person - there seems to be some link with Apollo Sound in there too, but I'm not quite sure what.

Comment

Great stuff Fuzz - that Tony Evans sounded awesome on Saturday Night.

I think I mentioned I've got another LP in the same series as that Surboum lp - I'll post it up here when I get back as it too has the one redeeming feature. We nicked the cover for the 'edinbrillo' flyer I'm sure you'll remember.
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

That Carlos Romanos is pretty decent, another one to look out for, cheers Fuz & Ian!
                Coincidently I found this by him over the weekend:

http://www.discogs.com/Carlos-Romano...elease/4793357

I'm currently grooving to the version of It's Not Unusual. The whole album is pretty smooth all the way through, not bad at all.
                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  Loving the Tony Evans, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it, like you the disco in the title would have put me off a bit too!

Not sure I know the one you're talking about Craig!
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                    PS: If you ever see Lenny Dee's LP with Happy Barefoot Boy on...pick it up! Proper fun.
                    I don't think I would pass a Lenny Dee album without investigating it, so another goes onto the list in my head...
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                      Two years old this thread is, and I'd never noticed it before - some lovely stuff in here for definite (though 60s Tijuana brass sound-alikes will NEVER wear thin for me!)

Incidentally, Carlos Romanos and the aforementioned Wilf Todd are one and the same person - there seems to be some link with Apollo Sound in there too, but I'm not quite sure what.
                      Glad you found it your Lordship... listen to a few as you sort out your UK Private presses for posting up in the other thread
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                        Great stuff Fuzz - that Tony Evans sounded awesome on Saturday Night.

I think I mentioned I've got another LP in the same series as that Surboum lp - I'll post it up here when I get back as it too has the one redeeming feature. We nicked the cover for the 'edinbrillo' flyer I'm sure you'll remember.
                        It sure did, I hope to unleash it on a proper dance floor at some point.

I'd be happy if you just post a picture up of that "Edinbrillo" Surboum record, pretty lady... Was there anything good on it?
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                          That Carlos Romanos is pretty decent, another one to look out for, cheers Fuz & Ian!
                          Coincidently I found this by him over the weekend:

http://www.discogs.com/Carlos-Romano...elease/4793357

I'm currently grooving to the version of It's Not Unusual. The whole album is pretty smooth all the way through, not bad at all.
                          I think I still have that somewhere but I seem to remember dismissing it. If you're grooving to Mr. Romanos / Todd then be sure to check up thread, as there's another by him which is really quite special, not to mention a number of Ballroom records which might move you Chris.
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Glad you found it your Lordship... listen to a few as you sort out your UK Private presses for posting up in the other thread
                            Hell, yeah! When I get some time to myself I shall definitely do that!

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                              Yep, Phil Bodner's group. You'll find him all over Command records too.

Comment

I don't think I would pass a Lenny Dee album without investigating it
                                Cosign. Don't pick up a lot of Hammond these days, but Lenny albums are a no-braner.

Comment

Working...
                                X