Divine! 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divine! 21

Before I start this review of 'Divine! 21', given away this past Saturday at the club's birthday night, a few words are required....

Firstly congratulations to Mr Divine on his club night completing it's 21st year and what a year it was. The run up to and then the final night at the Art School, the clubs venue for 20 and a half years was something else. The final night at the Art School will surely go down in Glasgow clubbing folklore. With the arrival of his second child, a wee summer break came at a good time but quicker than you say 'Got any James Brown?', Divine was back at it's new home at the Admiral and a fantastic launch night followed by several more successful nights at the new venue has already got people saying 'the Art what'?

So anyway, onto the music. As usual, another eclectic mix from Mr D which represents the current sounds of the club.

1. Tangerine Peel - Solid Gold Mountain - A club night is nothing without it's punters so I must thank Mr Divine for this subtle nod towards his number one punter who is never seen dead without his favourite colour, Tangerine . A groovy number kicks the proceedings off, the opening notes sounding like we were going to get an alternate take of 'Champ' before moving onto wild guitars and well placed horns.

2. Driftin' Five - Hard Headed Boy - Think a harder and gruffer ' I Haven't Got the Nerve'....

3. The Hunters - Russian Spy and I. Forget back drops and spins. This absolute belter of a Dutch garage track is a favourite of my good lady and I and should have everyone doing the Kazachok from Glasgow to St. Petersburg and back

4. The New York Rock Ensemble - Running Down The Highway' Funky psych n' that.

5. The Shotgun Express - Curtains UK Mod Hammond instrumental from a group with some sort of Rod Stewart connection. Sounds like Young Holt Trio or is that Young Holt Unlimited with the slightly off key groove of Spooner's Crowd.

6. The John Bull Breed - Can't chance a Breakup. Keeping the UK mod theme going here. Has the soulful elements of St Louis Union/Spencer Davis and a band I will be checking out a bit more.

7. Luther Ingram - Oh Baby Don't You Weep A welcome return to the sounds of Divine is the man who brought us such classics as 'If it's all the same to you babe' although this is more R&B than Northern. New Breed, whatever that is.

8. Judy Clay - Do You Think it's Right - Waaaah Waaaah goes the sound of the mouthy as the R&B stomper with hints of Big Mama Thornton get the foot a' tappin'.

9. Tobi Lark - Sweep it Out In the Shed - Great vocals and harmonies here in this soulful R&B number.

10. Lee Fields - Take Me Back And certainly it does...soul tracks like this remind me of what it was that first hooked me on this club all those years ago and eventually led me down the vinyl obsessive road. A NS revival for the young uns is on the cards and with spins like this, it's no wonder.

11. The Terrible Frankie Nieves - True Love - The only thing terrible about this is the jealousy I felt when I heard one of my number one wants being spun. The backing track is a Latin version of 'Am I the Same Girl/Soulful Strut' but with a completely different melody. Great stuff.

12. Willie Tee - First Taste of Hurt Another great choice but to be honest, I'm still seething about the last track....

13. Marcela Griffiths - Feel Like Jumping / 14. Laurel Aitken - Reggae 69 - A couple of reggae reggae saucers here which only emphasise the eclectic feel of Divine.

15. Ray Frazier - I Who Have Nothing Now I ain't big on da funk but this really is infectious and makes me want to do one of those funky things with my shoulders that make my head look like it's on rollers.

16. Wendy Lynn - I can Remember My boss is called Wendy and I can remember that I should be doing some 'actual' work than writing a review of a CD given away free at a club I was at during the weekend but it's the week before Christmas and nobody does any work in this period so there!

17. Elaine Armstrong - Sad but true More funky town here.

18. Dana Gillespie - Just Gonna Know My Mind One of the best girl group sounding tracks ever? I would have been disappointed if I had went onto popsike and saw this never went for big money

19. Jenny Rock - Mal - French Language version of Hush. One of the best versions of this track I have heard, has an extra psychedelic edge and a few phased ooooooooows that has Billy Joe Royal quaking in his boots.

20. The Dirty Filthy Mud - The Forest of Black Nothing to see here. Please move on. Honestly walk away. You really don't want to come into this forest. Trust me. You will get lost in this forest. Wait...come back...noooooooooo!

21. Jon Lucien - Search for the Inner Self It's ok, we all came out the other side of the forest a new man after Jon Lucien's smooth voice guided us to find our Inner selves which apart from those nuggets of vinyl, is the one thing that each and every one of us is looking for. A really nice track to finish what has been a great CD.

A shame Mr Divine never made the swap again this year and I encourage you all to make sure this man gets the support he needs next year to make sure the vgplussers don't go without for another year!

Anyway, that's lunch time and I'm nipping home for some hummus and Friday's episode of Neighbours on the ol' Sky Plus box before coming back and getting my teeth into the 2011 X-Mas swap CDs.
    [email protected]@K

Double Sight Weekender - Glasgow Garage & Psych Weekender 4-7th October 2012
    The Freak-Beats Club: Glasgow's new happening club night!
    "Get the Records!" On Youtube channel

Is there any way to buy a copy of this cd? Two years in a row without a Divine cd in the swaps and I'm beginning to suffer withdrawal symptoms!
    http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
    http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      Firstly congratulations to Mr Divine on his club night completing it's 21st year and what a year it was. The run up to and then the final night at the Art School, the clubs venue for 20 and a half years was something else. The final night at the Art School will surely go down in Glasgow clubbing folklore. With the arrival of his second child, a wee summer break came at a good time but quicker than you say 'Got any James Brown?', Divine was back at it's new home at the Admiral and a fantastic launch night followed by several more successful nights at the new venue has already got people saying 'the Art what'?
      Aw, shucks. Thanks Jamie, you're too kind...

Glad you liked the CD - wasn't expecting any reviews, I'll be trembling compiling next years!
      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Working...
      X