X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon Duo live in Milton Keynes

shockingly low turn out for Wooden Shjips offshoot Moon Duo
    live at the Sno!Bar in Milton Keynes last night. They were tight
    and rocked the joint but there were only a few dozen folk there at best.
    The venue is pretty cool (literally) as it's next to a full size ski-ing slope!

The Garden Facebook Blog

They played to a packed tent at No Direction Home on Saturday night: less onstage lighting than at MK though. Wooden Shjips due in Sheffield on July 13th...
    OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

They played the Cumberland Arms here in Newcastle on Saturday night - I couldn't make it but I gather the turnout was pretty good (think the room only holds maybe 100 people?)... miffed to miss it as Wooden Shjips have never played Newcastle and my best mates band were supporting Moon Duo up here... bah!

Comment

MK has a bad record of turning out for good gigs, the worst was Faust at The Pitz in 2001
        we the people, numbered 14 - it was embarrassing but they put on a blinding show, my guess
        is there were a lot more folk the following night of the tour at the Royal Festival Hall
        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by enrico chiesa View Post
          They played the Cumberland Arms here in Newcastle on Saturday night - I couldn't make it but I gather the turnout was pretty good (think the room only holds maybe 100 people?)... miffed to miss it as Wooden Shjips have never played Newcastle and my best mates band were supporting Moon Duo up here... bah!
          I went to this, it was actually on the Friday, hardly any publicity for it, but it was really full. The support band I saw (Symphonic Sound) were good. I had a chat with them afterwards, nice people. I thought they had a little Prefab Sprout in the sound, the singer was a big fan.

Moon Duo, especially with the lighting, work really well live. I have most of the recorded stuff, and the live show still maintains that psychedelic-pop sound, guitar solos all over.

I spoke to Ripley afterwards, and asked him if it was true some copies of the first Wooden Shjips record were left on benches in San Francisco for people to find. It turns out they were.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Comment

Yeah the singer in Symphonic Pictures (they're named after a Bobby Callender psych LP) you spoke to is Johnny who is my mate and was my best man... glad you liked them... they're putting a lot of work into getting small tours going and doing a debut EP and they're all great musicians... The Prefabs are well loved in these circles

I think the kids who put the gig on (Cosmos Promotions) are Hartlepool based? But then I think it was put on in conjunction with some lads calling themselves 'Carnival Moon'... who are perhaps Carlisle based? Anyway, as promoters they put that kind of neo-psych type stuff on, good on them!

Comment

Yeah the singer in Symphonic Pictures (they're named after a Bobby Callender psych LP) you spoke to is Johnny who is my mate and was my best man... glad you liked them... they're putting a lot of work into getting small tours going and doing a debut EP and they're all great musicians... The Prefabs are well loved in these circles

I think the kids who put the gig on (Cosmos Promotions) are Hartlepool based? But then I think it was put on in conjunction with some lads calling themselves 'Carnival Moon'... who are perhaps Carlisle based? Anyway, as promoters they put that kind of neo-psych type stuff on, good on them!
              I hope they do well, they're definitely a little different than the usual local bands.

Comment

i played at the snow bar once a long time ago. its a good venue, shame they dont put more music on there
                Yusef Lateef

Comment

I read the thread title as meaning that Moon Duo had bought a house in Milton Keynes. Didn't seem a very psychedelic place to move to...
                  MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

I was supposed to DJ at this gig but was poorly

My set was going to be something like this I had the records in the box so recorded a mix
                    Last edited by pH; 08-08-2012, 11:17 PM.
                    - - - -

Maybe its downbeat with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals but it is an excellent example of a downbeat mix with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals

A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one

http://www.mixcloud.com/paulhillery/

Comment

Please keep us posted here about any Symphonic Pictures releases? I was a huge fan of Prefab Sprout and still love getting Swoon, Steve McQueen et all out. One of those bands whose work I know so well I'm word perfect on every song ( and some B- sides).

If Symphonic Pictures are channelling even a tenth of Paddy McAloon's vibe I really want to hear it.
                      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Working...
                      X