LDJB Feb Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDJB Feb Chart

Sorry folks but I can't work out how to move the pics to the right place (It's late and I'm stupid) so they are all at the bottom of the post.

Wahey - sussed it!

Neu – Black Forest Gateau (Cherry Red)

First up a big danke to Chris Vulture – the Krautrock general! I'd never really paid much attention to the the motorik stuff (Kraftwerk excepted) until Chris kindly made me a starter pack of tapes – the Neu stuff blew me away! What seemed like moments later I chanced upon this rather handy comp of their three LPs which was priced at about a fifth of any of the OG LPs. Superb stuff – not a bad track in sight. Top marks (geddit) have to go to mighty 'Hallo Gallo' and the track which Primal Scream appear to have based the later half of their career on "Negativland".

Matata - Independence (President, 1974)

Serendipity in action - I bumped into a guy I know who had been to his home
    town for Xmas and return with some records from a shop which was having a
    clear out - he mentioned that he had got some funk LP or other on President
    but didn't really rate it as it just sounded like Jamed Brown to him. I
    nobly offered to take the offending article off his hands in exchange for a
    few records - a deal was struck and I now have one of the rarest UK funk
    LPs in my clutches! The music – well it does sound like top draw JB funk with that all important afro edge – produced by Ram John Holder (latterly of Desmonds fame) too. "I Feel Funky" was the only track I knew previously thanks to the 45 – it's present and correct here. Pretty much every track is a winner in the funk bomb stake with "Talkin' Talkin'" just edging into the lead thanks to the almighty break and breakdown section – sublime stuff.

Bonnie Dobson - S/T (RCA, 197?)

I was really chuffed to find this in the racks of a local second hand record
    shop for a few quid and in mint condition. This is an album that you can
    call 'lovely' or 'gorgeous' and not feel a bit daft - excellent
    instrumentation and what a voice! We are on the acid folk funk tip here, the opening "I Got Stung" sets the tone – a discordant sitar, acoustic noodling and a top draw vocal performance. "Bird of Space" is an out there bit of soft psych and the closer "Winters Going" has those beats we all like with our funked up folk (oh..and the sitars are back in action – perfect). Just need to get her Argo LP now……how much!!??

Helmut Zacharias - Sensational Sounds of... (Studio 2 Stereo, 1970)

Aint it great when the booter throws up a nice bit of funky easy that
    you've never seen before? I was well aware of his beaty 'House That Jack
    Built' and the attendant LP but I've never actually come across another LP
    by the chap. This one is actually quite nice and has a good choice of
    covers – "Aquarius", "Hare Krishna" and 'J'Taime' being particularly nice . OK that violin can grate at times but the beats are usually on the big and heavy side and you get the
    odd smattering of Hamond. The biggest revalation here is 'Sweet Charity' -
    I have played this one a lot since scoring this LP - based around a very
    funky drum pattern and nice bit of scat singing it is the real reason you
    need this LP, best bit of easy funk I've heard in ages and did I mention
    the Break?

Charles Bernstein - Gator OST (UA, 1976)

Yet another OST for the collection from a film I've never seen – actually judging by the cover art and the inclusion of slug juggler Burt Reynolds I reckon it could be a perfect Sunday afternoon romp – it features Jerry Reed as 'Bama McCall' according to the sleeve – what great character name! Oh aye – the music. Well if was selling it on the bay I'd be sure to state the inclusion of ill sick library style drama breaks and I wouldn't be kidding – 'Laying the Trap' comes on like a great lost underscore from the Hanged Man – all clipped wah and the occasional smattering of break. 'Swamp Chase' is more of the same but faster and funkier, "Flight in the Night" is, well, even more of the same and you even get a bit of loungey Sitar sleeze in "Erotica". Best to avoid 'The Ballad of Gator McKlusky' though – funny just the once mind.

Trifle - First Meeting (Dawn, 1971)

The semi regular LDJB and Mr Divine swopathon threw this my way – thanks Andrew. I totally love this LP – this is what yer proper psych prog horn rock LPs should sound like! John Schroeder is in the chair and gives everything a funky edge. The opening "Alibi Annie" set the tone with the big drums and brassy backing, "Is It Loud" come on like a lost bit of the Nucleus catalogue and 'New Religion" is now well known for it's break but it's a great track in itself. My pick has to be the cover of Manfred Mann's "One Way Glass" (I think this is the same version that Mr Schroeder released as a 45 sans the vocal – could be wrong though as I've only heard that single the once), a very funky and groovesome version indeed.

Bob Dorough - Multiplication Rock (Capitol, 1973)

All together now "Threeeeee is a magic number……yes it is…….". A long time want finally scored off the list at a reasonable price in the Xmas Ebay slump! You probably all got this so I wont go on except to say that no way is it a one tracker and it was well worth the wait.

Willie Mitchell – Robbin's Nest (Hi, 196?)

Sadly nothing to do with the TV series – not a one armed dish washer in sight (oops – showing my age a bit there eh?). My Willie obsession continues (?) with at least another couple of his LPs coming my way recently. This one is a very nice late 60s effort with a bit of everything for the kids. The title track is a bit of smooth jazzy funk, "Tails Out" is more your souley discotheque dancer and "Chilly Chilly" is your proper southern fried funk instro groover. Top of the pile for me is the moddy cover of "Wade in the Water" and the funky run through the never fail "Sing a Simple Song". I was going to say that there's loads more Willie out there waiting to be grabbed but that would just be juvenile eh?

Bobbie Gentry – I'll Never Fall in Love Again (Capital, 1970)

The last Bobbie LP I needed and I finally tracked down a copy in a country rack for £2 – hurrah. This is one of her strongest all round I reckon – even the ballad are top draw! Her run through Nilsson's "Rainmaker" is great and her go at "In the Ghetto" is superb but where she really shine is when she does that southern country funk which she does so well. "Find 'em Fool ' and Forget 'em" is funky as you like and "He Made a Woman Out of Me" (lucky sod) will have you shuffling along. Ms Gentry's own "Fancy" is from the same mould as "Ode to Billie Joe" a proper sad story of getting by in the country – Bobbie's Mam can't afford to give her a future so she gets her a nice dress and sends her off to be a lady of easy virtue and thus attain a better life – heart wrenching and strangely groovy at the same time.

Nino Ferrer – Nino & Radiah (CBS, 1973)

"Course it'll be tasteful love" – no wonder he's grinning! A very nice and kind of strange LP from Mr Ferrer – don't let the opening 'South' put you off – it's kind of poo. Once past that the LP goes from strength to strength. The other tracks were recorded with a band a called Ice and I have to admit I've never heard of them but judging on their work here I'd like to here more. The music is subtly funky throughout and features lots of electric piano and Rhodes. Many of the songs have long funky instrumental sections after Nino has finish singing his frankly bonkers songs. I mean check 'Vomitation' for a start – "remember beans, good for the heart, the more you eat them, the more you fart" – the song also has a verse concerning onanism! The top tunes for me though are drink related - the funky "Hot Toddy" and the bizarre funk rock of "Mint Julep".
    Last edited by LDJB; 02-02-2005, 01:39 PM.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

hey i have the trifle first meeting but the one i have is on pye, its a laminated gatefold. i know dawn is a subsidiary of pye, im wondering which one is the first press? is the dawn press a gatefold?

Comment

well done lee! Getting there son.

Just add a return before every image and you are good to go.

Really really proud of you for sussing this out!

If you need all your old archived charts then ask sie or myself and we can give them to you. (This goes out to anyone btw).

Im going to add all my old charts bit by bit over the next few weeks.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by Devil McDOOM
        hey i have the trifle first meeting but the one i have is on pye, its a laminated gatefold. i know dawn is a subsidiary of pye, im wondering which one is the first press? is the dawn press a gatefold?
        I dunno which came first but the Dawn press is indeed a gatefold!

Cheers Serms - I got there in the end. Sorry the pics are a bit crap but there's nae daylight at the moment!

And never mind yer old charts - lets see a new one
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I think Dawn's the UK label and Pye is the label for the European releases...
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
            Nino Ferrer – Nino & Radiah (CBS, 1973)

"Course it'll be tasteful love" – no wonder he's grinning! A very nice and kind of strange LP from Mr Ferrer – don't let the opening 'South' put you off – it's kind of poo. Once past that the LP goes from strength to strength. The other tracks were recorded with a band a called Ice and I have to admit I've never heard of them but judging on their work here I'd like to here more. The music is subtly funky throughout and features lots of electric piano and Rhodes. Many of the songs have long funky instrumental sections after Nino has finish singing his frankly bonkers songs. I mean check 'Vomitation' for a start – "remember beans, good for the heart, the more you eat them, the more you fart" – the song also has a verse concerning onanism! The top tunes for me though are drink related - the funky "Hot Toddy" and the bizarre funk rock of "Mint Julep".
            Ice was the backbone of Cane and Able - I think led by Frank Abel. They released one album of note that I've got somewhere. I always thought both Cane & Able Lps to be rather superior though. Nice LP, this Nino thingy. Mint Julep is my fave.

Comment

I've got about 4 LP's by Ice with the best being their Afro Instrumental LP.

Comment

Great interview with Pierre Jaubert in an old wax poetics. Explains how the Lafayette Afro Rock / Ice records came about.
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                X