a chart of quite shit but very rare & vaguely (psykedelque) disco*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a chart of quite shit but very rare & vaguely (psykedelque) disco*

*not to get in ladyboys grill, just tickled me is all...

PART 1

A chart of Euro/Italian/Disco/Rock/Glam/Psych/Shit 7"s for your ears.

All my stuff is in storage currently, so don't have the turntable to hand but here's some representative records that fit the bill.

Most of these are early for the disco canon and take their cue from psych, glam, prog or in some cases kraut rock.

Will add some more when I can mp3 them, a few aren't youtube-able

This one started the mini-debate earlier:

I think it was a promo record for some product or other, possibly even a very manly cologne.

which leads on to this which was a promo record for some sort of jeans label - Its possibly the least disco of the lot, sounds like astro sounds on bennys with a brass section in tow.

Speaking of bennys - Here's Benny Blue - Mister Racket - chugging guitar, questionable adriano celentano-style nonsense english. Fun times.

John Kongos "I'm Dreaming" - which I stuck on my horror mix a while back - pretty weird but very catch number by the same man Shaun Rider had a thing for.

This italian release has got a bit of an ESG thing going on, really charming low-fi production.

Gianfracasso Ensemble "Music on my mind" (B-side is decent too)

Off to Germany now for some proggy-disco-gloop.

Epsilon - Ayayaya - on ariola

Sticking in the gloop-zone momentarily these three are better know from the shite-disco canon:

The last - Enigma, has a vaguely motorik groove to it, which segues nicely to this bit of twee kraut rock revisionism:
    MOSTLY MELLOW

PART 2

Galaxis - I want more - I love the cover, muthafucker is riding through space on his silver horse with a jetpack.

This one's a little less obscure and can be picked up pretty cheap - "That Thing" on Jupiter records, I think its belgian. Nice bit of arpegiatting going on.

Here's another Ariola release - definitely on the cuter/gimmick side of town.

Ffun - Shepherd's Dance.

Here's a disco record that isn't psykedeleck at all - but its a fucking rip-snorter.

Francis Lai - Young Freedom. - come on summer you c**t!!!!

Getting back to more uptempo stuff, the fellas from Spaghetti Head get tribal on the drums with their double sider Disco Fever/Funky Voodoo.

Someone say drums? This one sounds like a Tullio di Piscopo effort, and I read somewhere that might have been involved, works equally well on 33

Leroy Vohn - Evil Dance

Mandrillo "Mr DJ" - this has all the hallmarks of a bad cocaine haemorrhage at 5 in the morning. Totally shit.

This can be had pretty cheaply and should please or irk all you goblin fans out there (that's all of you right?) sounds great on a decent system.

That'll do for now - more where that came from if you like this sub-genre, more I'm chasing but seems to be quite a fought over area of collecting currently.
    MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

cheers Captain will check these out over the weekend - much appreciated
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Epsilon's a good call. I've always liked that, among the Euro dross. Really like that Spaghetti Head, never realised they did anything other than Funky Axe/Big Noise. Shoulda checked I guess.

Cloud One - Patty Duke

Cloud One - Atmosphere Strutt

Rhythm Makers - Zone

Tony Silvester - Cosmic Lady

Comment

Forgot this one. Human Egg.

Comment

Been after that JOHN KONGOS for ages - not seen a cheapie yet

Great stuff here - a bunch are new to me so will have a proper listen tomorrow.
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Cloud one is a classic - by no means a cheap record if that's a prerogative for decent disco....???

The others sound like (shit) disco funk to me
                MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

Originally posted by captainwilloughby View Post
                  Cloud one is a classic - by no means a cheap record if that's a prerogative for decent disco....???
                  Just get yourself an Atmosphere Start instead, much cheaper

MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

This is in that Cloud One territory

Phill & Friends (but we're getting away from the original brief here..)

MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

Great chart! Hopefully more will be added. I always thought the euro oddball disco sound fitted into the original Vinyl Vulture ethos.

I do agree with Bill on many of the 80's releases that are sought after though. They sound like bad zx spectrum game music to my ears!
                      it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by captainwilloughby View Post

The others sound like (shit) disco funk to me
                        If you think Rhythm Makers - Zone sounds like shit disco funk, then I'm afraid we're never likely to agree on much

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do this most enjoyable listening
                          - - - -

Maybe its downbeat with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals but it is an excellent example of a downbeat mix with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals

A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one

http://www.mixcloud.com/paulhillery/

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
                            If you think Rhythm Makers - Zone sounds like shit disco funk, then I'm afraid we're never likely to agree on much
                            Well, one of the nice things about VG+ is the 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' mindset, but we're all pals anyway!

I've got to say i'm a bit disappointed by this oddball selection. Surely those Frenchies made more demented stuff than what's been listed so far... Someone on here must know the really messed-up disorientating druggy tracks hidden away on B-sides.

I'm thinking more along the lines of these nutty Canadians:

Come on, who's holding the ultra bonkers eurodisco?
                            MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Took me years to finally grab a copy of that PHILTER BANX LP, love that. I have some bits that would fit... Will try and stick them up tomorrow.
                              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Working...
                              X