No announcement yet.

Current J-Pop Girls Chart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and here's an older addition for Col's delectation.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

I've been working my way through these over the last few days. I think the first Vanilla Beans is my favourite so far, just musically, but it occurs to me that the videos are part very much part of the impact - more so, even than your average Western pop video, because part of what's compelling here is the future-kulture shock.

I concur on requests for a swap CD of this stuff. A friend of mine is a huge anime nerd and frequently blasts anime theme tunes from his van while we hurtle around, that's the nearest I've come to this stuff previously.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
        I've been working my way through these over the last few days. I think the first Vanilla Beans is my favourite so far, just musically, but it occurs to me that the videos are part very much part of the impact - more so, even than your average Western pop video, because part of what's compelling here is the future-kulture shock.

I concur on requests for a swap CD of this stuff. A friend of mine is a huge anime nerd and frequently blasts anime theme tunes from his van while we hurtle around, that's the nearest I've come to this stuff previously.
        This is a pretty decent comp of this kind of stuff from the mid nineties

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Sushi.../release/47968

Comment

Cripes! that I am a Kitten thing's a bit "breathy" I'll need a lie down now.

I remember seeing that Sushi comp around but never picked it up, thanks for the reminder Filthy

In a strange alignment of the planets I went to see the Jeffrey Lewis & Pete Stampfel Band last night. Stampfel said his daughter told him to watch Ponponpon by "some japanese girl" (Kyary) as it was the best video ever & he and Lewis liked it so much (Stampfel said it was worth three Mona Lisa's, which I liked) they decided to do a "rip off" of the song. It blew my tiny mind.

If you get the chance to see them on this tour I'd recommend it just for that, also the song about Snooki from Jersey Shore & the cover of Hawkwind's Orgone Accumulator...

Comment

"In a strange alignment of the planets I went to see the Jeffrey Lewis & Pete Stampfel Band last night. Stampfel said his daughter told him to watch Ponponpon by "some japanese girl" (Kyary) as it was the best video ever & he and Lewis liked it so much (Stampfel said it was worth three Mona Lisa's, which I liked) they decided to do a "rip off" of the song. It blew my tiny mind.
            If you get the chance to see them on this tour I'd recommend it just for that, also the song about Snooki from Jersey Shore & the cover of Hawkwind's Orgone Accumulator..."
            That is a strange alignment - made stranger cos my girlfriend was at that show (the early one, I think they played twice that evening) and she came home saying she had to look up this song called Ponponpon. I was able to say "I know all about that, look here".

Comment

Haha wow, the one in Chorlton?

*high five*

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                Haha wow, the one in Chorlton?
                *high five*
                Ah, no, it was in Brixton. Her friend is playing mandolin for Lewis on the tour.

Comment

I'm not going to put my house on it, but this may be Vanilla Beans' lastest, Muscat Slope Love. At least I think I hear something that sounds a bit like Muscat Love in a chorus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5OgQDiS6Qg

not certain it isn't a 33 playing at 45 but.

still, nice ladies.

Comment

Haha that's them, they've gone turbo-ska!

This is great, VB can be a little hit & miss at times, the dance routines are amazing though.

Comment

Some young wag on YouTube is pitching K-Pop against J-Pop and could forment an international incident. Nice to hear a whole bunch of this stuff together though.

There's a whole bunch of them!

Nurse! Fresh tissues for Mr Wolfe please.
                      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

I really wanted to like Girls Generation but (like most K-Pop) they seem to do just straight Idol stuff but with a heavier western influence. They look awesome though I tend to avoid any band with more than 5 members.

Korea doesn't (yet) seem to have the odd B-Level idol scene that Japan has which at the moment tends to be where the more niche & interesting stuff comes from.

For instance there's

BABYMETAL

Three 12-14yr girls who were a sub division of another Idol band (I told you this would get messy), they're here to fuse the worlds of Metal & Idol while I'm not convinced by the end result, they're doing well out of it.
                        Here's the trailer for their tour, which is leaning more on the theatrical metal aspect of things but the actual songs (If you want to delve further) are a bit jarring & don't really work for me.

It may be a gimmick or maybe the most subversive thing happening in pop music right now (but it's probably not)
                        I don't know what the deal is with name checking Metallica album titles either??

Then theres..

Linda III Sei

In a similar idea to ace 60s band Golden Half who were an all bi-racial Japanese girl group, to be a member of Linda III Sei you have to be an 11-14yr girl & third-generation Brazilian-Japanese (that's me out then). They describe their sound as B-Pop (B for the Baile Funk sound they have shoehorned into their style). I never really got the whole Baile Funk thing & this is not really working for my ears but something interesting is definitely happening here, this is their debut single so it remains to be seen how they make what they have work for them, but I'll keep an ear out.

Also this video is startlingly inept, it's like they had a hundred quid and a day to plan & make it. If you want to see the 2013 equivalent of punk you'll find it in this video.

As I've said I'm not mad on these.. but there's some interesting stuff happening here besides the music.

Comment

This lot are quite good

Passpied - "S.S"

Don't know anything about them, they're new. For some reason this reminds me a bit of Leaving This Planet by Charles Earland, I think it's the noodly keyboard.

Comment

OK that Passpied track is getting better with every listen for me and they, along with Band Ja Naimon are both on Warner Japan....

Having worked for two indie record labels and seemingly learnt very little about how things work *hi fives CV* what are the chances that I could organize a split 45 of these 2 tracks?

They seem to have no real interest in making these easily available for people in the UK digital or otherwise, I know most majors have little communication with their different territories and usually couldn't give a shit about things that won't make them a boat load of cash, but I'd buy this kind of thing on sight in a record shop and if there was say, a label that put out a split 45 every month or so with new interesting Japanese bands, I'd make a point of getting every single one.

Dimly remembering my limited dealings with major labels, this idea would be near impossible to make happen right?

Comment

You'd have a better chance with Warner than UMG. They support independents in a way other majors no longer seem to. Maybe get an 'in' via their independent umbrella group and/or distribution alliance?
                              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

mate, this needs to be done. best idea I've heard all day, and I've heard a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X