No announcement yet.

Current J-Pop Girls Chart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Stanley out of St.Etienne recently tweeted a link to a Japanese pop selection he'd put together for some website.

Nice summery selection but nothing really from recent years, could have put this together in 2005 (possibly did, he's been busy writing a book & stuff) Never really mad keen on Puffy Amiyumi's stuff but people were really rating her for a while, slightly limp sound to me, nice to see Jun Mayuzumi's 'Black Room' make an appearance though.

The two standouts for me were

Spoochy - 'Jaws!'
    Really nice J-bossa vibes, a real grower.

and

Halcali - "Halcalism Candy Hearts"
    These two are pretty great, this is seemingly a tribute to 80's summer jam disco-rap from their debut album from 2003 'Halcali Bacon'.

I reached out via the magic of twitter and recommended Vanilla Beans (I'm really really liking their new one) but I was roundly ignored in favour of talking to James (Loaded) Brown about going to see Rod Stewart live, which is basically how every twitter interaction goes for me... Meh, not bovvered

In other news

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's got a new Album coming out next week so she's released a pleasingly baffling teaser video for it.

Also

The MTV Japan music awards were on this week, for some reason Momoiro Clover Z made an appearance as backing dancers for Canadian pop shit shoveler Carly Rae Jepsen singing her worldwide hit Call Me Maybe....

An insult on par with asking Nina Simone to tune Coldplay's piano...

Comment

Oh I nearly forgot.

Here's a picture of Rena from Vanilla Beans eating an amazing looking ice cream cake, wearing a frankly ridiculous hat.. In a Moomin cafe!

They even put a Moomintroll face on your drink!

Comment

thank you
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Brilliant post! Thankyou
          https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's new album is on iTunes now for £3.99

Invader Invader, Me, Kura Kura & Ninjya Re Bang Bang are works of unparalleled genius.

BARGAIN!

Now, let's talk about BiS.

"The teeny pop rascals from Scotland?" you ask.

No... no. *puts head in hands & sobs quietly for what I'm about to unleash*

BiS (Brand-new Idol Society) seem to ply their trade by making odd videos for some pretty nondescript music, they've been having trouble keeping members lately with the escapees often citing the 'direction' of the band. I can only imagine it has something to do with this, their latest single Mura-Mura.

They've gone pop-ska-punk, it's nothing special. The video... good lord this thing's odd.

It starts off with (I guess) the hapless new members face badly composited onto a fake head that's having all it's hair cut off, possibly related to the AKB48 head shaving scandal from a few months ago, but I don't know.

Next we see her being trundled around in a wheelchair by one of her bald headed band mates looking like a Warriors gang reject, spying on some poor sap who's taking the bins out through eye holes cut in a magazine.

Shit's about to get weird, I'd bail now if I were you

Panning down from the magazine we see she's got some sort of..... oh, just watch it yourself.

Bear in mind it's NSFW and difficult to answer questions about from friends and family.

Questions like:

"Are those baseball bats with nails in?"

"Did that dude just get shot in the boner with a tofu cannon?"

"Are we on some sort of list now?"

and

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

(Answer key: Yes/Yes/Possibly/I really don't know)

As I said the music's a bit crappy but it's a good example of how odd things can get.

Comment

They've gone pop-ska-punk, it's nothing special. The video... good lord this thing's odd.
              CHRIST ON A BIKE!
              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                CHRIST ON A BIKE!
                Should I make the warning a bit bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                  Well, that all seems perfectly reasonable.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Band Janaimon news, there's more of them, 3 new members.

Not sure how this will affect the 2 girls 2 drum kits aesthetic, I'm hoping they continue in the current oddball fruitcake path rather than revert to the 'Chocolate Love' sexytime shenaningans but I dunno they all look pretty glam, I'll report back as soon as anything new comes out.

I'm having the usual problems getting a copy of their new mini album (and other stuff) so if any of the Japanese resident VG+ers feel like helping me out I'd be eternally in their debt *hopeful face*

Comment

Originally posted by Striker View Post
                      Should I make the warning a bit bigger?
                      We ain't never seen nothing like that in Suffolk and I hope we never will.
                      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

The skinhead/wheelchair combo made me wonder if that was perhaps a Jim'll Fix It style tribute to a fan who'd undergone chemotherapy. I guess I will never know.
                        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Interesting ( to me anyway!) is that the first 50 CDs released in 1982 included J-Pop.

Collectable CDs - First 50
                          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                            Interesting ( to me anyway!) is that the first 50 CDs released in 1982 included J-Pop.

Collectable CDs - First 50
                            The only thing stopping me trawling youtube to check them all out is that it's too hot to sit with my laptop on my knee for more than five minutes.

And that it'll probably be painful.

Comment

So I've done my first order with YesAsia, based in Hong Kong. Decent selection, prices and free shipping. (though it took nearly a week for them to ship after the order but, meh I'm not too bothered about that)

Got the Band Ja Naimon & Passepied CDs, can't wait to hear them without the youtube compression (Someone showed me a waveform comparison the other day, holy poop youtube rips are rubbish!)

Still haven't worked out how to get the BJN t-shirt that I'd like, The site has instructions on how to buy that makes it even more confusing.
                              Last edited by Striker; 23-07-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Full review of Momoclo's latest album here on JpopGo.

Good to get a bit more background info on writers/producers etc, and interesting to hear that the beat on '5 The Power' is from an early 70s Hungarian record (I knew this stuff would get VG+ relevant sooner or later) although the reviewer may be over reaching by comparing it to Joy Divisions 'Interzone' but I don't know, stranger things have happened.

Personally having had a good listen to it, it's pretty solid, if you're snuffling round iTunes & don't want to get the whole thing, you're on safe ground with the first five tracks which are all pretty badass but if you're being a proper cheapskate you could just go for track 10 "Jōkyu Monogatari" is one of the best things I've heard in ages.

Vanilla Beans continue to be adorable but it seems their record label T-Palette has quite a formula going soooo...

Meet Negicco!

There's three of them, they have great hair and cute outfits and DISCO! This is called "Don't Just Listen To Idol" a sentiment of musical adventurousnesss that I'm sure we can all get behind.

I like the cut of their jib, they've been going for a while it turns out but this latest single is their nicest that I've heard.
                                Last edited by Striker; 25-07-2013, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X