X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Striker
    Electric Banana
    • Oct 2004

According to her Twittering Vanilla Bean Risa is on holiday in London, If you spot her say "Hi!" from me.

Comment

• medlar
      Chocolate Rain
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Striker View Post

As I said the music's a bit crappy but it's a good example of how odd things can get.
      You said it. Musically predictably dull, so wacky video required.
      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Striker
        Electric Banana
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by medlar View Post
        You said it. Musically predictably dull, so wacky video required.
        Yes, That appears to be their M.O. No real standout personalities there either, if they don't get some decent songs/production I can see them imploding pretty quick.

Comment

• medlar
          Chocolate Rain
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Striker View Post
          Yes, That appears to be their M.O. No real standout personalities there either, if they don't get some decent songs/production I can see them imploding pretty quick.
          Are there any boy bands worthy of mention?
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Striker
            Electric Banana
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by medlar View Post
            Are there any boy bands worthy of mention?
            I have looked, it's pretty slim pickings though.

The Idol genre is pretty much exclusively girl groups, as you can see by the lineup of the recent Tokyo Idol Festival, there's the fantastically named Porsche Law (which might be a clunky auto-translate, but I like it) who I haven't managed to find any further info for and Wind Juku, who appear to be girls dressed as boys, but that's it.

The independent 2nd tier idol scene has emerged due to affordable production wrestling a bit of power away from the majors and has made for more interesting things popping up than you would have got even 5-10 years ago. Don't get me wrong a lot of it's still rubbish, but there's more interesting pop gold to be found.

The male gender is better represented in J-Rock which is almost always terrible and seems to have a odd way of taking its shiny pop rock stylings very seriously, If I were to draw parallels you'd be looking at Lenny Kravitz & Avril Lavigne duetting for Nickelback, I keep my eye out in case anything interesting happens but it hasn't thrown much good stuff up.

Once you get on the more hip & less factory farmed artists there's more diversity, both Mishmash*Julie Watai & Passpied are only female fronted.

I suppose it's a bit like YeYe, but Japanese & happening right now.

Comment

• Striker
              Electric Banana
              • Oct 2004

My YesAsia order arrived this week, safe & sound.

The Band Ja Nai Mon! mini album & Passepied's debut

Passepied - "演出家出演" (possible translations "Show Starred Home" or "Director Appearance" I dunno.)

This came out in a special edition pop-up thingy but that sold out so I just got the normal version. If I had to try and pin the sound down I'd go with Prog Jazz Pop fed through a filter of 80s John Cusack teen summer movie vibes, the slightly spoddy muso background of the band gives it a touch of endearing earnestness & I really love Natsuki Ogoda's reedy vocals too. It's a pretty solid album.

Standout tracks are 1 3 6 8 11, "S.S", "Fever", "Just a Piece Of Crap", "High Collars" & "Carnival"

Band Ja Nai Mon! - "Band Ja Nai Mon!"

This mini album came out in 2012, I like mini albums (more bands should do them) 7 tracks on this. If you've watched the video for "Pahipahi" a few posts upstream you'll get the picture, there's two of them Misako & Kacchan, both have drum kits. The result is rhythm heavy electronic pop hyperactivity, the only real miss step on this is the slightly ballad-y "Back In You" where they seem to going for a more restrained vocal style & it kind of sucks all the personality out of it. The rest is great though, sugar rush odd-pop with little to compare it to (though it makes me think of early Super Furries a bit).

I read somewhere that they used the same vocal performance coach as Momoiro Clover Z, and you can kind of tell. Whatever that person actually does they should (probably do) get paid a fortune, they don't always hit the perfect notes but the slightly unhinged, off key genuine enthusiasm works much better.

I just realised that what I believed to be their first single was actually the follow up the this, "Chocola Love" doesn't fill me with confidence, the production's slick, madness toned down, sexy video. Couple that with the three new super glam members and things could be looking a bit more mainstream for their next release. I hope not, it'd be sad if this bonkers little album was the only great moment for them.

Comment

• AlanP
                Electric Prunes
                • Jul 2009

now this ain't J-Pop - World Order and they're dudes - but the vid's got some fun bits. kinda one part kraftwerk, one part synchronised swimming with a dash of Madness

*IMPERIALISM*'s metamessage picks up where it left off in the group's previous work, PERMANENT REVOLUTION. Shifting its focus from Asia to the West, the enti...

Comment

• Striker
                  Electric Banana
                  • Oct 2004

Yessss I've seen some videos of those slow walking dudes before, never made the connection that they did the music too. That bit with the hands is amazing.

No doubt connected to that weird corporate synchronised marching that the Japanese are fond of.

Comment

• Tsundoku
                    Best Dressed Chicken
                    • Jun 2008

Both of those videos are fantastic. Thanks for posting. What an alien place, I must go there someday.
                    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

• AlanP
                      Electric Prunes
                      • Jul 2009

woah, that's some serious corporate marching. loved the oooooo's.

and yeah, the bit with the hands was my fave as well. and the guy leaning on the bar. hurrah for Japan.

Comment

• Striker
                        Electric Banana
                        • Oct 2004

I ordered some more CDs..

The 2009 debut album from Vanilla Beans, the CD single of that Negicco track and the Momoclo single with 'Chai Maxx' on as there's only ever crappy quality youtubes of it. I try to avoid CD singles but needs must & most of them seem to have instrumentals on which is interesting and handy for any homebrew remixing I may decide to attempt.

My xmas mix should be an interesting one for people who haven't found this thread yet.

Band Ja Naimon have been tweeting some pics of themselves brandishing their new single "UP ↑ prime/Takatokotan-Forever", it hit the shelves yesterday but I haven't heard it or seen any video, this might be because they don't appear to be on Warner anymore. They're doing a big HMV tour to promote it so I'll post when anything new happens, their debut is an amazing thing & I really hope they have done something interesting.

Also, not JPop but kind of related, UK xfactor pop types Little Mix have recently released a Korean version of one of their hits, interesting move, I always like it when bands make an effort to do stuff in different languages.

Comment

• Striker
                          Electric Banana
                          • Oct 2004

Just found this, the only one of the other tracks off the first Band Ja Naimon album on youtube.

"ボディーだけレディー"

I love this album soooo much.

Comment

• Striker
                            Electric Banana
                            • Oct 2004

New single from The Suzan 'Moving On'

It's great, 79p!

Also they contributed this new track to the soundtrack of the comic Gunwolf (because that happens nowadays)

It's called Wild Animal, it's great and here's it is on the trailer (for the comic...)

Comment

• Striker
                              Electric Banana
                              • Oct 2004

Vanilla Beans have a new single out soon

Please Me Darling/Night On The Earth

Haven't heard it yet but it's been described as "neo acoustic sound"

In lieu of a video here's the great optician adverts that they recently made an appearance in..

aand

In other news Lyrical School the Idol rap group have a new album out called "Date Course"

It's coming out on vinyl too with amazing artwork from manga artist Hisashi Eguchi, they've not really grabbed my ear before but they've always looked like they're having fun, this teaser video for the new LP is quite nice though. I may pick it up if i can.

Comment

• Shere Khan
                                Lonely Jelly
                                • Apr 2013

Well it's rocking my boat. Deese tings are so expensive though. Some enterprising UK distributor needs to get on the case.
                                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
                                X