Como - Another Expiry Jazz chart thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Como - Another Expiry Jazz chart thingy

I've been playing with my records again and put together a little mix for my own amusement. I can't stop playing it so I thought some on here might like it too.

I'm sure that most of the tracks here are known to people - but I hope there is something new for everyone

Will post some cover pics and more info in the next couple of days.

Como

1. John Sangster - Goose Eggs
    2. George Browne and the Mike McKenzie All Stars - Matlida, Matilda
    3. Fred Frohberg and the Gustav Brom Orchestra - Sixteen Tons
    4. Slim Gaillard - Puerto-Vouti
    5. Dizzy Gillespie - Jambo
    6. The Art Farmer Septet - Mau Mau
    7. The Pat Smyth Trio - Nardis
    8. The Oleg Lundstrem Orchestra - Bukhara Ornament
    9. Bill Le Sage/ Ronnie Ross - The Cheaters
    10. The Gustav Brom Orchestra - Afrika Noc
    11. Don Burrows Plus Six - Wailing Waltz
    12. The Michael Garrick Trio plus Joe Harriott and Shake Keane - Vishnu
    13. Hermann Gehlen and the Kurt Edelhagen Orchestra - Kyrie
    13. The Ronnie Scott Band - King Pete
    14. The George Gruntz Quintet - Ciacona in F Minor
    15. The Tonu Naissoo Trio - Super C
    16. Annie Ross - Bellini

http://www.divshare.com/download/24182052-4dd

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Cheers , lots i dont know

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
      I've been playing with my records again and put together a little mix for my own amusement. I can't stop playing it so I thought some on here might like it too.

I'm sure that most of the tracks here are known to people - but I hope there is something new for everyone

Como

16. Annie Ross - Bellini

These are great so - downloading right now...

Comment

Stonking!

Comment

Some cover pics:

Who is this hairy man who looks like a hobbitt? Why its none other than John Sangster - perscussionist extrodinaire from down under. A tribute to Bix Biderbex might initially seem like an unlikely proposal but there is something about Sangster's playing on this track that is just otherworldy and turns my head. I love the way that they seem to refuse to finish it!!

George Browne or Young Tiger as he was sometime known was a West Indian calypsonian who came over to London at the same time as Lord Invader and Lord Beginner. Here he is backed by the Mike McKenzie All Stars - is it Shake Keane on trumpet?

From an obescure LP from a Czech festival that I got in a trade from Gogo (thanks Georgi). Don't know anything about Fred Frohberg. I'd like to think this is a Communist criticism of capitalist work practices. However, I think its more likely that its part of the love affair with all things American!

Slim Gaillard seems to me to be an unappreciated talent possibly because he was genuining very funny - something that jazz doesn't have very much of. Here mixes his own jive language, vouti with something that might be Spanish to exotic effect.

Dizzy leaves Cuba for some of Carribean islands, the result if a fine example of jazz-exotica with an almost scatting vocal.

From a various artists record that brough together Brit jazzers who had played at the Royal Festival Hall in a series of jazz concerts organised by Pete Burman. Here Smyth is joined by his Harriott Quartet companion Shake Keane. I particularly like Dave Goldber's guitar work.

Amazing big band action from Russia. Oleg Lundstrem had a increadibly eventful life - he played in White Russia until kicked out by the Chinese, went to Moscow, was arrested for playing jazz, he and his band were then exiled to the further reaches of Russia, until they finally made their way back to Moscow and he eventually becam a stalwart of Russian jazz. I love the mix of West Coast big band music and Russian folk music. I also like the way the drummer shouts for joy about half way through!

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post

Como

1. John Sangster - Goose Eggs
            2. George Browne and the Mike McKenzie All Stars - Matlida, Matilda
            3. Fred Frohberg and the Gustav Brom Orchestra - Sixteen Tons
            4. Slim Gaillard - Puerto-Vouti
            5. Dizzy Gillespie - Jambo
            7. The Pat Smyth Trio - Nardis
            8. The Oleg Lundstrem Orchestra - Bukhara Ornament
            10. The Gustav Brom Orchestra - Afrika Noc
            11. Don Burrows Plus Six - Wailing Waltz
            12. The Michael Garrick Trio plus Joe Harriott and Shake Keane - Vishnu
            13. Hermann Gehlen and the Kurt Edelhagen Orchestra - Kyrie
            13. The Ronnie Scott Band - King Pete
            14. The George Gruntz Quintet - Ciacona in F Minor
            15. The Tonu Naissoo Trio - Super C
            16. Annie Ross - Bellini

Been getting stuck into this one over the last few days - great stuff - but why have I not heard that George Gruntz before - modal hapscichords are right up my street...

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
              Been getting stuck into this one over the last few days - great stuff - but why have I not heard that George Gruntz before - modal hapscichords are right up my street...

Glad you are liking it Mr Slim - always good to get some nice feedback!

Classical/jazz combinations don't always work - too much third stream stuff seems slightly insipid
              But the Gruntz record isn't like that at all - I'm not an expert on Baroque music so I can't say how true to the orginals they are but he does seem to have opened them up to jazz improvisations
              My copy was very cheap indeed - perhaps because no one else is interested in Jazz Baroque?
              Gruntz recorded another Baroque Jazz record but I haven't heard it - been keeping an eye out though!

I wonder where the fascination with Baroque music came from in the 60s? There's all sorts of stuff like Baroque Beatles, Baroque Brass (which I think is on Alan's Xmas swap).
              Is there a single influence/record that started the craze or was it an organic thing?

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                ...why have I not heard that George Gruntz before - modal hapscichords are right up my street...
                you have heard it before.

at Fickle Formula.

in April 2011.

Mat, this mix is great btw. especially all the ones i don't own

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

at Fickle Formula.

in April 2011.

Mat, this mix is great btw. especially all the ones i don't own
                  Should have known you were on top of the Baroque/Jazz crossover
                  Do you have/have you heard the second Gruntz Baroque LP? Is it worth tracking down?

And glad you are liking this - high praise indeed!

Now I'm starting to worry what I'm going to put on my Xmas CD!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

at Fickle Formula.

in April 2011.

Apologies Al. In my defence, I was probably having my ear bent at the time by a pesky punter...

Comment

Working...
                    X